Hide-and-Seek

That Girl Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 23

Hide-and-Seek

 

JIYONG’S POV

 

"I like you." 

 

With all the strength that I had, I took a step closer to her and continued, “Is that what he said to you?”

 

“What?” Dara asked surprised. Her reaction made me want to punch my inner self. Ugh, what has gotten to me lately?

 

“Donghae.” I said.

 

“What about Donghae?”

 

“He said he likes you.”

 

“Jiyong,” Dara admonished.

 

“Yes?” I replied.

 

“I believe it’s none of your business. Why are you being this way?”

 

I ignored her question. “Are you dating that fish?”

 

“Well…” Dara gave me a strange look. “We’ve only gone out a couple of times,” she said.

 

“That’s not an answer to what I asked,” I said.

 

“What does it matter?”

 

“Nothing,” I tried to tell her straight-faced.

 

“Alright, then.” Dara was about to turn but I immediately caught her wrist. She stopped in her trance and took a questioning look at our hands before making an eye-contact.

 

“Well?” I prodded.

 

“Yes?” She returned.

 

“Answer the question,” I demanded. Hell, I won’t be taking a step out of her house until I get the answer to my question.

 

“But you said it doesn’t matter,” Dara replied.

 

“Damn it Sandara, answer the question,” I growled.

 

“That’s the second time tonight that you use my full name.”

 

I swallowed hard as my jaw set in aggravation. Dara was making this difficult. “That fish.” I said. “Are you with him?”

 

“My answer,” Dara mimicked. “Why does it matter?”

 

“You’re making this difficult,” I finally grumbled.

 

“You’re not getting any answer until I have yours,” she told me.

 

I closed my eyes and sighed. Say it…say it…just grow some balls Jiyong and say it to her! You know you like her...hell, I was done torturing myself. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen? She says no and we go back to being friends. She will continue going out with that fish and I will move on and take care of Ji Woo. I don’t think confessing to her would do much damage now.

 

I let go of her wrist and took a step forward, our noses barely touching. I heard her faint gasp and she tilted her head to look at me.

 

“It matters,” I whispered, “because whatever you say affects what I say in return.”

 

“If I say yes?” She asked.

 

“Then I would suggest no. Hell, I can’t even see any spark between you two.”

 

Dara laughed, “Why would I care about what you feel? Donghae is nice. He is sweet and…”

 

“Are those the only two qualities you look for in a guy, Dara?” When she didn’t respond, I continued. “You only went out with him…what? Twice?” I paused. “Oh that’s right, you’ve been busy.”

 

“I have.” Dara replied.

 

“Liar.”

 

“What do you know?”

 

“I’ve been with you most of the time the entire week, you haven’t been busy.”

 

Dara looked up to me and for a split second she managed to make eye contact before I looked away. When I looked back, my eyes locked her lip and I couldn’t stop staring, wanting to kiss her so badly. “Who do you think I was busy with? She asked softly.

 

I snapped out of my trance and almost sounded angry as I spoke. “I didn’t ask you to…”

 

Dara jumped on her spot. With surprised look, she snapped, “Of course, you didn’t. You’re a jerk and too conceited for that.”

 

I had to admit, the way she said it, it hurt. I knew very well that she has been with Ji Woo and I most of the time. It wasn’t something that Dara was required to do, but she has been very good at it, especially in taking care of Ji Woo.

 

“Jiyong…” Dara said. A hurt expression was clear across her features now. “I’m around you because you asked me a favor, didn’t you?”

 

Yes, a favor. How could I forget that?

 

“…and because I like being around you. You and Ji Woo.”

 

I took a step back, I raked my fingers through my hair. My mind was completely out of it. I had never had to fear rejection. Ever. I had all the girls after me. I never dated. Well, the only girl I dated if you could call it that was Sohee and it was all for pure fun. Rejection had never been a worry for me.

 

And then Ji Woo came. Things weren’t so simple anymore and I had something to worry about. But, in typical heroic fashion, Dara came along. She helped me with my worries, she was getting me through everything.

 

However now, in a way, she was my worry.

 

I had never felt so inadequate at anything. She was smart-mouthed but kind, feisty yet innocent. Everything that I had long ago deemed preposterous and, to be honest, too difficult she made look easy. I didn’t think I deserve her really, and though somewhere in my mind I knew she didn’t think the same, there was a constant fear of what I saw as reasonable rejection that kept me from uttering the few words to tell her how I felt.

 

“Oy, Jiyong!”

 

Dara snapped me from my reverie. With one last glance to her, “Goodnight, Dara.” I called over my shoulder as I left her apartment.

 

“Goodnight,” she returned.

 

 

Dara’s POV

 

Work was such a pain for me this week. On Monday morning, Jessica greeted me with a sarcastic apologetic smile a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter