Wedding. . .Alarm?

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

Chung Ae regained consciousness after a few minutes. But her shock returned just about the same time. She look horrified to have found her only son sleeping with a girl in their cottage. Ga Eul of all people! She looked sternly at Yi Jeong who's more appropriately dressed than before they came. Ga Eul, her daughter Jan Di's bestfriend for more than six years, was sitting in a corner, head bowed down. "I'll be at the house. Get dressed, follow me there and we'll talk." She ordered in a formal tone and let her assistant guide her to the waiting car.

She flew to Cheju in haste after calling Yi Jeong's house and learning that he left for the island the night before. In a bad weather. She knew that he'll be looking for his sister and she wanted to put some sense into her daughter's head. She came only to find their villa empty aside from the person that maintains it. A typhoon visited the island last night and the garden was all messed up. She knew Yi Jeong stays in the cottage instead of the mansion and she decided to look for him there. Only to find him in a compromising situation.

******************************************************************************

"Oh God! It's all your fault! Why did you have to lie! Why didn't you just tell her the truth?!" She was yelling as soon as she heard the car pulling out of the driveway.

"Would you rather have Omma think you're easy?" He shot back.

"Excuse me?" She narrowed her eyes. "If you weren't sleeping beside me --!" Well, he wasn't actually . He was wearing boxers under the covers but it didn't make any difference in Chung Ae's eyes.

"I didn't want to die, first and foremost. You know that my clothes were wet and where do you expect me to sleep when you've asserted claim on the covers even before I can take a shower?" He asked and she didn't know how to answer that. She was really sleepy and she didn't think about that. Only now that they're facing a rather difficult situation.

"I'll explain it to Ahjumma. She'll listen to m--" Her hands were up in the air, making frantic gestures.

"Let me do the explaining Ga Eul-yang." He said with finality. "I'll just change." He took the clothes hanging dry on the backrest of the wicker chair and went to the bathroom.

Alone, she could only admire the exquisite interiors of the cabin despite her present predicament. It was relatively small but it must be intended for napping while on the beach but not really for vacation as they do have the villa few minutes away. Aside from the two bedrooms, the Balinese inspired cabin has a living room, a small kitchen and a verandah that overlooks the magnificent private beach. A black sand beach complimented by giant waves perfect for surfing. She filled her lungs with sea breeze while leaning on the bamboo balusters. She suddenly missed Busan, her hometown. They lived close to the ocean and she grew up surfing with her father. It was against her wishes that she was sent to Seoul after her father died but her mother cannot support her studies anymore. And her Aunt Yong San volunteered to take her under her wing.

But Yong San isn't rich either and she could only do so much to help her. She still have to get odd jobs to make the ends meet and to support herself through college.

"Maybe we can go back sometime and surf. I know you love surfing." Yi Jeong's voice startled her. She was not aware that she was taking a rather short trip down memory lane.

"How did. . ? Don't answer that." Jan di could have told him. But why would the siblings talk about her? "I don't have any plans of going back here." She said flatly. After all that happened? She gave him a death glare and walked ahead towards the car.

***********************************************************************

Chung Ae was purposely waiting for them when they got to the villa. She can't even look at her in the eyes. Even if she looks distraught, she still looks regal. "Take your seat." She ordered and Ga Eul winced. She sounded like her preschool teacher. Surprisingly, Yi Jeong grabbed her hand and guided her towards the sofa. He sure was cooking up something and she hated being dragged into this mess. In her mind, she was strangling Jan Di.

"Ahjumma. . ."

"Omma. . ."

They spoke at the same time and Chung Ae cleared . "I don't want to hear anymore explanations." She held out a hand to stop them from speaking. "I already called Yong San and she'll be waiting for us when we get back to Seoul." She looked at Ga Eul and her eyes widened in disbelief. *How in hell did she find my Aunt? Yong San is her legal guardian eversince she moved to the capital. But wait, she's twenty-five years old and she doesn't need Yong San's help to explain her side.

"That's better. We want to discuss our wedding in the presence of Ga Eul's mom but since she's in Busan, Ahjumma will do." Yi Jeong spoke in a determined voice.

"W-wedding?!" She can't even make a coherent reaction. What the hell was he talking about? Wasn't he suppossed to explain the real reason why they're in Cheju? And the truth behind what Chung Ae saw?

"Well in good." Chung Ae nodded in approval then she looked at her. She was forced to meet her gaze. "Ga Eul-yang, I didn't expect this. From you of all people. I can imagine my own daughter engaging in premarital but not you." She could feel bloodrush taking over her features in an ugly way by the mention of the sensitive topic. No. She's not frigid or anything. She's a romance drama writer for goodness sake! But how in hell could someone eat what she just said? Moreso, if you're not guilty! Worse, she can't even find her voice to defend herself. She just stared at her dead panned.

***********************************************************************

"Omma!" He was horrified to say the least. "How can you say that to Ga Eul?" He said in a reprimanding tone. He held Ga Eul's hand tightly and squeezed it. She was trembling as she was cold. He wanted to hit himself when he saw under his lashes that she's in the verge of breakdown. He saw her mother backtrack for a second.

"Mianhe." He could see his mother trying to fight her tears. "I'm just. . .I'm just overwhelmed!" She sniffed. "I am sorry Ga Eul-yang. You know I would love to be your mother-in-law. I didn't mean to hurt you. It's just that--" Ga Eul just nodded but looked too weak to say a word.

"Did you bring the jet, Omma?" He cut his mother's elaborate way of apologizing. He wanted to have an alone time with Ga Eul to let her into his plans.

"Yes. If you don't have anymore business here then we could all fly back to Seoul now." She said, composure recaptured.

"We'll see you at the airport then." He kissed his mother's cheeks. "We'll use the loaner." He said and dragged Ga Eul to the villa's garage.