Comp and Coll

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

"BWOH?!(WHAT?!)" He can't believe what his mother just told him. "Omma, don't kid around." His face hardened and suddenly, he wanted to kill someone.

"I am not kidding! He was here the other day and he told me everything! And now she's gone! I can't believe this Yi Jeong-ah!" Chung Ae was hysterical. His hands were balled into fists. The Ming vase that was sitting on top of the bureau caught his attention and threw it on the wall while Chung Ae continued wailing.

"I'm going to kill him!" He grabbed his keys from the table and bolted out of the library. He ignored Chung Ae's calls from behind him.

His swerves were deliberate and the speed of his car would be enough cause for his death. He reached his destination half the usual travel time and didn't even acknowledge the help and that welcomed him when arrived. He opened a room and gave the surprised person on the bed an uppercut and a round house kick.

******************************************************************************

Ga Eul settled herself on the sofa and tried to breathe. Her stupid car just quit a few meters away from her garage. Her only choice was to push it in front of her unit if she doesn't want her next-door neighbor to petition her out of the compound. It took her half an hour and a pail of sweat to be able to push it in it's rightful place. She wanted to burn her father's fifteen year old car after that. She sighed heavily. She can't even afford herself a decent car. And she's twenty-five years old for crying out loud! She was about to drag herself up the stairs when she heard the doorbell rang.

"It must be Jae Joong." She muttered to herself. How would he park his car if hers was blocking the garage entrance? "Ugh!" She grunted in frustration. She walked up to the gate and she saw a familiar figure standing outside the low gate, his back facing her. But it was definitely not Jae Joong.

He must have heard her approaching and turned to face her. "Good evening, Ga Eul-yang." He greeted, his face quite dim.

She was half-expecting to see him sooner or later because of Jan Di but she was not expecting it to be tonight. Jan Di just left for Cheju this morning and give it to him to figure out where exactly to look for. She bowed and opened the gate for him. "Come in."

"Would it be okay to leave my car there?" He asked. She noticed a gleaming silver car across the street, parked outside the unit of an old couple. She nodded in response. She walked ahead of him and invited him in. His gaze roamed around the interiors of her apartment. She uttered a silent thank you for Jae Joong. Her house didn't look as cozy as it is until Jae Joong moved in and turned it upside down to suit his taste. Which is undoubtedly impeccable.

"Nice house." Yi Jeong commented and she smiled in return. She wanted to ask how he was able to find her new house. But it would be stupid. Of course he would know. Everything's one click away for the high and mighty So Yi Jeong.

"Let me get us some tea." And disappeared to the kitchen. All that she wanted to do at that moment was to sleep. She tried to finish the script she'd been working on for thirty-six hours nonstop. The only reason why her boss reluctantly allowed her to leave the studio. And now here's her mortal enemy. She was beginning to think that Jan Di's idea was nothing but preposterous. To make Yi Jeong listen to what she has to say would have to be like lifting a mountain.

She put the tea set down and filled two cups and handed one to Yi Jeong. He muttered a garbled 'thank you'. "What can I help you with?" She asked and took a sip of her tea.

"Judging your unsurprised demeanor when you saw me outside, you already have an idea, don't you?" He's back to his insolent self, she concluded.

"I think so. Can I ask you something then?" She narrowed her eyes. No wonder Jan Di's too afraid to stand on her ground.

"Fire away." He met her gaze.

"Why can't you just let her be? I mean, it's high time she decides for herself." Her voice raised a fraction and he raised an eyebrow. A familiar grin was hovering his lips. She thought her heart skipped a bit.

"You're still the same old Ga Eul aren't you?" Wait. She already heard that before!

"What do you mean?" She asked, counting from one to ten using her fingers behind her.

******************************************************************************

"You spoil Jan Di. Then and now." He crossed his arms in front of his chest. A sign that he's getting bored. But that was far from what he was feeling. Seeing her again after all these years entertained him, the person who stood up for Jan Di when she was being accused of using prohibited drugs. It was a rumour circulated by some girls from their rival sorority. Ga Eul challenged the dean to conduct an on-the-spot drug test when Jan Di's old record from Shin Hwa university turned up. And when Jan Di was cleared, she initiated the impeachment of the college dean for maligning her best friend. That's when he knew his sister found a real friend in Ga Eul. But they already started on the wrong foot that it was difficult to even strike a conversation with her. Who can blame him? Jan Di already befriended wrong group of people from her old school.

If only he was there for a different reason. His hand involuntarily balled into fists again.

"I resent that." She said calmly and breathed through her nose. "I just happen to understand her better. Better than her own brother in fact." She challenged him into a staring contest. He looked away first. He saw her smile stiffly, like congratulating herself. He shook his head.

"Did you know that they were dating for more than two years?" It was his turn to smirk. "Secretly?" He added. She just stared at him, mouth wide open. "That's what I thought." He nodded. "I thought you're the VERY best friend?" He asked mockingly.

"J-jun Pyo and Jan Di?" She asked in a bleak voice.

"No less." He smirked. "Now, give me a reason why should I listen to my sister's wails. You said it's high time she decides for herself. Hah! She don't even have the guts to tell me she's dating my best friend!"

Ga Eul looked like she's about to faint, her face was void of color. She slid to one of the cream-colored couches. "Are you alright?" He was about to attend to her when he heard a car engine from outside. Soon after, a tall guy appeared on the doorway. With dark hair and girlish features, he was balancing a briefcase and rolls of paper on his hands.

"Annyeong(Hi)." He looked quite surprised to see him but then he noticed Ga Eul's pale frame. "God! What happened to you?" He dropped everything on the carpeted floor and approached her.

"I'm alright. Lack of sleep, I guess." She was trying to focus. "Jae Joong, this is So Yi Jeong, Jan Di's brother. Sunbae, this is Kim Jae Joong-sshi." She introduced. Is this her boyfriend?

"Nice to meet you." He extended a hand that he shook reluctantly. "I never thought I would be given the chance to meet the famous potter." He smiled. He can't bring himself to smile back.

"Nice to meet you too. I guess I better get going. We'll talk again, Ga Eul-yang." He didn't mean it to be a threat but he saw her forehead crease.

"Why don't you join us for dinner? It's my turn to cook." Jae Joong invited politely.

"Thank you but I really have to go. Annyeonghi gyeseyo (Goodbye)." He nodded and went straight for the door. She didn't even send him off! So Ga Eul's now living in with someone. With a man far more fragile-looking than she is. With that thought in mind, his Aston Martin Vanquish sped the private driveway.

****************************************************************************

"The nerve! He really have to let everyone know he's driving a goddamn sportscar!" Ga Eul look in between slats of the old rose venetian blinds.

"So that Vanquish is his?" Jae Joong asked unbelievingly.

"Yes! Among other things. I'll kill Geum Jan Di for this!" Her bestfriend FORGOT the little detail that she's dating the heir of Shin Hwa group. To lose face in front of her biggest foe was really embarrassing. Is her best friend just playing around with Jun Pyo? For two years? Oh heavens!

"He's gorgeous honey." Jae Joong taunted and playfully hit her .

"Uhuh. And you're so transparent. I am surprised you didn't throw yourself at him." She glared.

"It's not my fault I have better-working eyes than someone I know." He said playfully and gathered his things on the floor and climbed the stairs.