Caught in the Act

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

 

"Ga Eul!" He bumped onto the dining table and hurt his shin. "Ouch!" He hurried to the living room limping. "What happened?" Trying to find her in the dark and found her under a wooden console. He bent down to let her out. "What are you doing?"

"It's. . .it's. . ." Then the thunder roared again and she screamed at the top of her lungs that he thought he's gone deaf.

"Yah! Ga Eul-yang. You're afraid of the thunder?" He can't control his laughter.

"Who's not!" She snapped.

He caught her hand and pulled her out. "I'm here so don't be afraid, okay?" He assured her. Besides, it's just a sound. Don't we have the same in Seoul?" He asked, amused.

"I've exhausted all of my savings to have my house soundproofed because that." She sniffed. She really looked scared.

"That's ridiculous. What if you're out?" She didn't answer. Instead, she breathed in and out to calm herself. He let her recover her composure for a minute. "Yah! My phone's running out of battery, come with me to the kitchen while I look for some candles, okay?" And like it's the most natural thing to do, he held her hand and guided her towards the kitchen. He, too, was surprised by his actions. Her hand on his felt so good that he didn't want to let go. Unfortunately, he had to when he opened the cupboards. She was unusually silent and he almost jumped up when she spoke, her voice quavered a little.

"Jan Di left a message for me this afternoon." He found a candle and he dropped it in shock.

"What did you say?"

"Unless she's really being dishonest to me like she didn't tell that Jun Pyo's her boyfriend," She continued like he didn't ask. "She won't be in Cheju in any way. She's in Czech Republic." She said dazedly.

"Czech Republic?!" He exclaimed. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?!" He can't believe that it could have saved them the energy of going all the way to Cheju.

"I suppose I am not sure if she really is out of the country. And you said your people told you she's here. But how come she's not?" She asked in frantic tone. "Could it be that she. . .she got kidnapped or something?"

"We could have received the call by now if she was." He said in a dismissive tone. It was not the first time that she tried to run away. When she transferred to another college, she didn't stop until Chin Hae allowed her to move to the school's dormitory with Ga Eul even if their village was only few minutes away from it. Stubborn woman!

***************************************************************************

"But what if money is not the issue? Jan Di's a fashion model, stalkers are common in her world."

"Don't let your work as a script writer take over your logic." He smirked. He lighted the candle that he found. And she wanted to erase the grin on his face. *Another insult and I'm outta here* "Besides, Jan Di can protect herself. We are looking for her not because of anything but to let her explain to everyone her idiotic actions!" She heard him say.

"I am just thinking of the possibilities." She shot back. "Now, shall we go?"

"What do you mean shall we go? Are you insane? I am not driving in that kind of weather. Besides, no plane will be flying tonight." He walked towards the kitchen's doorway.

"Don't leave me here!" She yelled and she was instantly behind him. "Okay, then which room am I going to use?"

"The cabin only has one room." He declared and her eyes widened in disbelief.

"It can't be!" She exclaimed. No freakin' way that she's sharing a room with this self-centered guy!

"Technically, there's two. But the master's bedroom's locked. And it's not as if I am going to you." He snorted.

"It's not as if I am not going to kill you even before you can't think about it." She retorted.

"You can use the room. I'll sleep here at the couch." He gave in in a tired voice. He indicated the sofa then another thunder roared. It took her all her might not to scream again.

"Uhm. . .there's only one candle. I," She swallowed. "I can't sleep if it's dark." She lied. "You. . .maybe we can. . ." He smiled like cheshire cat. "What?"

"You look cute when you're running out of words." He snickered and she wanted to whack his head with the ash tray that she's playing with.

"Now, where IS that room so that we can go to sleep and end this conversation?" She asked in an acid tone.

"You're in such a hurry." He taunted.

"You--!" She let out an exasperated sigh.

****************************************************************************

Ga Eul heard voices. She tried to open her eyes but it felt like she just slept. How come they are trying to wake her up? It isn't morning yet, is it? Then can't they just shut up and let her sleep? Then the voices became distinct. She tried to grab the pillow beside her but someone seemed to be holding on to it tightly. Who could it be? Then her eyes pried open and before she can restrain herself, she let out a eardrum-shattering scream. Yi Jeong, from the waist up, sat up.

"Where's the fire?!" He was gaping at her.

"Ga Eul-yang?!" An indignant voice on from the door that made her freeze. Yi Jeong too, when she looked at him. "Yi Jeong-ah! Goodness!"

"Omma!" Yi Jeong exclaimed. She was just too shocked to move. Or to react. Escpecially when Chung Ae's not alone. Her girl friday was behind her too and based on the look on her face, she's thinking about the same thing as Yi Jeong's mother.

All that Ga Eul remembered was that she fell asleep right after she laid on the comfortable bed. The cabin was unusually warm for a rainy night in Cheju. Was it because of the comforters that were no doubt made of the finest material? She didn't really care. She heard Yi Jeong mumbling about taking a cold shower because he didn't want to catch a cold. But she was too tired and too sleepy to even bother.

"Oh god!" She heard Chung Ae say. "What is the meaning of this?"

Ga Eul looked at Yi Jeong from her peripheral vision saw that he was as shocked as ever. She nudged him with her elbow. "You better explain! You're the one !" She hissed in between her teeth.

"I can't believe this!" Chung Ae raised a hand on her forehead.

"Omma. . .truth is. . ." Yi Jeong looked at her. "We're getting married soon and we are about to tell you when we get back to Seoul."

"WHAT?!" Chung Ae fainted.