Young Sook

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

"Eunice?" Young Sook turned to the owner of the voice and found Deborah, the African American nurse that took care of her since she entered this facility. Contrary to what her family believed in, she wasn't crazy. But it was her fault that they thought otherwise. She just refused to talk to them. She can't help it, her guilt was bigger than the state of Arizona itself. She's a total disgrace to the Shim family. And because of her, they had to move from the place that her parents loved so much. And how she missed her Chang Min Oppa.

"Good morning, Debbie." She lifted a corner of her lips in a facsimile of smile.

"You're up early today." She smiled back and set the breakfast tray on the bedside table. "Are you going for a walk?" She loves to take morning walks if the sun is not too hot. Young Sook nodded. "Then eat your breakfast first while the oatmeal's still warm."

"I will. Thank you." She replied. She stared at the door long after the nurse left. For how long will she lock herself in here? It's been five years already. And she's hurting her family as much as she's hurting herself. When she woke up in the middle of the night in the arms of Yoon Ji Hoo, she was horrified. Well, that could be an understatement. She didn't plan for it to happen. But she was being careless and wild and hopeful and in love. And after drinking one too many shots of alcohol, that her body was not fully acquianted with, she was in deep even before she realize it. For so long, she refused to talk and lived in her own little world. More like punishing herself for ruining her own future. And someone else's.

[flashback]

She blinked a couple of times before shutting her eyes tight again from the sudden rush of pain in her head. It took her sometime before she can actually open her eyes to realize that she was in a foreign room. She tried to move but something was preventing her from doing so. She looked down and found herself covered in a comforter. She lifted the covers and came upon a strong arm s tightly around her waist. Her eyes widened and hang over flew instantly. She made several deep breaths to calm herself and to arrest herself from screaming her guts out. She turned ever so slowly to see the owner of the long slender arms and her gaze fell onto a head of strawberry blonde hair. She searched her mind rapidly of the happenings of that evening. Club Purple Line. So Yi Jeong. Daiquiris. Sunrises. White Mini Cooper. Yoon Ji Hoo!

She dislodged herself from his hold carefully and sat up, taking note of the searing pain in her lower region. And the blood on the sheets. She caulked her eyes painfully. What has she done? Why did she end up with him of all people?! Ignoring the spasms of pain, she got dressed hastily and left. She walked-ran towars Club Purple Line where she left her car, the heels of her stilettos almost giving up. Why did she forget to bring any money? She purposely didn't bring her cell phone to hold off Chang Min from calling her. She didn't want her brother to ruin the night she decides to seduce So Yi Jeong.

She drove over the speed limit to where their mansion was. Her speed could be the reason of her death but the Lord had different plans that morning. She was approaching a roundabout to turn into the freeway when a compact car no slower than hers came speeding from her right. It was too late to stop and the small car was no match to the Lexus SUV that she was driving. She practically shoved the whole car to the ditch before spinning several times in the middle of the freeway. She was petrified by the scene and was spooked by what will happen if she was found out so she drove away from the scene.

The next day, death by three people in a freak accident in a freeway was in the news. Her family didn't even have a clue since her car sustained no more than a few scratches unlike the car that she hit that was barely recognizable. Needless to say, she was never implicated in the accident.

[end of flashback]

She heaved a deep sigh and took something from under her pillow and left the oatmeal untouched.

****************************************************************************

"What did you say?" Chang Min almost dropped his cell phone upon hearing what his mom had to tell him.

"Your sister wants to go back to Seoul. Chang Min-ah, we can't let her, can we?"

"But Omma. . .I don't think that's a good idea." He wanted to fly to the US as soon as he received the news that Young Sook has decided to leave the mental facility and live with his parents. But responsibilities kept him from going. They've been convincing her to do that since the day the doctors declared that she's survived her trauma but to no avail. But now she's saying that she wanted to move back to Korea?

"That's what we keep telling her. Maybe you can convince her otherwise? Or you can move here so we'll be toge--"

"Omma." He cut her off in a firm tone. "We're not going back to that, okay? I told you I'll move there whenever I'm ready."

"And how many times do I have to hear that alibi of yours, Shim Chang Min?" Han Jae Hee was more than irritated with her son. She can't see the logic of staying in Seoul when the rest of them are already in the US much more when Chang Min refused to run the business that her husband worked hard for. Hyun Seung was unhappy that he had to let go of the construction empire that he built from scratch but he knew there were things more important than that. What happened to Young Sook taught him a great lesson. In a hard way.

"Omma. . .I am in no mood to argue today. Would you put Young Sook-ah on the phone? I'll put some sense onto her head."

****************************************************************************

"I still maintain you shouldn't go home.--I kno--Yobosaeyo? Young Sook-ah! Yah! Shim Young Sook! Aish!" Ga Eul caught Chang Min's last words before he closed his phone shut and dropped himself onto his swivel chair in a loud thump.

"Err. . .You okay?" She walked slowly towards his desk and he saw him looking at her intently like he was in a trance. "Chang Min-ah."

"Uhm, yeah. Sorry about that." He smiled awkwardly. "What's that?" Pointing at the paper bag that she brought with her.

"Food."

"Wow. What's this anyway?" He asked while taking the food canisters out of the bag.

"Dimsum. There's this newly opened Chinese restaurant near KBS and I wanted to try it." She beamed. She didn't have to tell Chang Min that the food was supposed to be for Yi Jeong but since she went to the gallery without calling, she didn't know he was stuck in a meeting and was not able to entertain her.

"Thanks Ga Eul-yang. It's very thoughtful of you."

"No problem. So, who's that on the phone just now?" She picked her chopsticks and started eating her favorite shark's fin siu mai. She saw his expression harden again by the mention of the phone conversation.

"My sister." He breathed.

"Oh. I didn't know you have a sister."

"You didn't ask." He scoffed.

"But how come you don't mention anything about her? Is she also in Ali--Arish--"

"Arizona. Yes she's in Arizona. They all are. You know that I live alone, right?" He cut her off before downing a whole mantou.

"Yeah. . .I think you mentioned it once. But how come you're here when they're all there?" One look at Chang Min and she knew that he didn't want to answer it. "Just curious.You don't have to answer it." She added hastily.

"No. It's okay. Well, something happened years ago that my family chose to leave. But I stayed back 'cause I have a mission I need to fulfill first. Until I am done with it, I'm stuck here in Seoul."

"That sounds a little James Bond-ish to me." She chuckled. "Is your sister younger than you? Oh, no. Don't answer that. By the tone of your voice earlier, anybody could tell you're a typical scary big brother." She laughed once more.

"I'm scarier than you think, Ga Eul-yang."