Busan Point One

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

Ga Eul put a heaping serving of Tang Su Yuk on her rice bowl. "Eat, eat." She pushed the platter towards Yi Jeong who's watching her with unreadable expression on his face. "You don't want it?" Then whispered with full. "Omma will surely be pissed." She added when he didn't budge. The Sam Gyup Sal was smelling great and she's can't wait to get her teeth on them. How she missed her mother's cooking!

"I didn't know you could eat a lot." Yi Jeong finally picked his chopsticks and started to eat. He took a bite of Jang Jo Rim first.

"Well," She blushed, much to her chagrin. "I missed Omma's cooking. Here, try this. This is rare in Seoul." She lied. When was laver rare in Seoul? She proceeded to put lots of Mee Yuk in his bowl.

"It's delicious." He said sincerely.

"Thank you." Mi Kyung appeared from the kitchen and put down two large serving bowls down the table. One with Mae Un Tang and one with Koat Gae Tang.

"Koat Gae's omma's specialty." Ga Eul boasted and handed him the large bowl of spicy blue crab stew.

"I am afraid I won't be able to go home if you spoil me much, Ahjumma." He smiled at Mi Kyung. "I haven't tasted fresh seafood in such a long time."

"I buy that straight from the boat early in the morning and those are Ga Eul-yang's favorites. I am glad you're able to come here."

"I promised Ga Eul-sshi that we'll go to Busan to formally ask your permission to get married." He flashed her a look and she oughed from drinking her fish soup.

"Are you okay?" He dropped his spoon and patted her back. He handed her a glass of water. Mi Kyung was watching them in awe.

"He didn't know?" She asked Ga Eul.

***********************************************************************

*Of course I know!* He wanted to say but how would he admit that he was eavesdropping that night in their house? "What is it that I don't know?" He stuffed food in his mouth immediately to mask his embarrassment.

"Ah. Haha. Nothing!" Ga Eul waved her hands in front of her face frantically. "Nothing! Just eat. Eat w--"

"I know that the engagement's fake." Mi Kyung said in a nonchalant tone. He was caught off guard.

"You do?" Ga Eul's mother just nodded.

"Ga Eul told me everything the night of the engagement. I understand that you're tyring to protect your mother Yi Jeong-ah." She regarded him with her kind eyes. "But this has gone too far. Don't you have any plans of letting her know soon? Surely, you can't marry just because of a lie you started together?"

"I--W-we really are planning to tell my parents soon. I'm still looking for the right timing." He turned bright red.

"He promised me." Ga Eul said and suddenly, the sweet and sour pork tasted like paper in his mouth.

"Just making sure. People make mistakes but sad to say, some mistakes are too grave to leave such a mark in one's life." Mi Kyung dismissed and focused on eating. He pondered on what she just said the whole meal.

They were having the after-meal tea in the front porch when Mi Kyung left them for her afternoon nap. Silence dominated the atmosphere for a long while when he can't seem to take it anymore. . .

"The sun's not too hot. . .Would you mind taking a walk with me at the beach?" He asked her hopefully.

"S-sure." They padded through the house to the back door that leads to the beach. She kicked her flipflops off and walked barefoot on the white sand. He followed her lead.

"It is so peaceful here." He broke the silence. "I can stay here forever, you know."

"You're a city boy, how can you say that?" She demanded.

"But I am an artist too, remember? And it's so easy to find an inspiration in this kind of place." *Moreso if you're here with me.*

"I think that's true. The inn's usually full with people who wanted to find peace and quiet."

"Inn?" His forehead creased.

"Omma works in a local inn at the other side of town. But those people usually flock at the more sophisticated part of the beach."

"The life here is so simple."

"It is. Many times I wanted to go back but my work's in Seoul." She stopped and picked a unique-looking shell. "Here." She gave him the shell.

"What's this?"

"A shell, duh?" She rolled her eyes and laughed. "It's a thank you shell."

***********************************************************************

"Thank you for what?" But placed the shell in his pocket.

"For bringing me here. I missed this place so much." Her voice broke in the last word. She wiped a stray tear brusquely.

"You're welcome. But that's sort of a thank you, too, for making my mother happy. She really wanted to have a daughter-in-law." He shook his head and smiled. Her heartbeat raised.

"But she already has Jun Pyo-sunbae." She chuckled.

"I guess he can't drag Jun Pyo-sshi to the mall and shop the whole day, eh?" He joined her in her silly laughter.

"I guess not." She nodded and looked up. "He--" Yi Jeong's face crashed into hers and she was staring at his forehead with wide wild eyes. She felt real cold and stiff. Then she felt him nibbling her lower lip, urging her to respond. Warmed up, she threw away everything at that moment and closed her eyes. The next thing she knew, he was kissing her like there's no tomorrow and her stubborn arms s through Yi Jeong's neck involuntarily, deepening the kiss. Her very first kiss.

In her hometown.

With the beautiful beach as the background.

The wind blowing their hair gently.

So blissful!

And with Yi Jeong.

Yi Jeong?!

With that, she pushed him away.