Ring Zero

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

I can't believe you invited your boyfriend in MY sister's wedding! What would our relatives say?" He stopped into a halt for the red light. He was gripping the steering wheel too tightly.

"Huh?" She looked at him dazedly. "Excuse--oh, Jae Joong-sshi?" She asked.

"Who else! Everybody knows you're engaged to me."

"But I am not! And will you stop yelling at me!" She shot back. She's getting tired of his grumpy attitude. "And I didn't invite him. Jan Di did." She didn't know why she had to let Yi Jeong believe she and Jae Joong are together. It was just one of his assumptions that she didn't correct. For her, it serves as a security blanket. From what, she didn't know.

"I-I'm sorry." He mumbled.

"You should be. And where are we going?" She noticed that they were on their way to the Geum mansion. "You are taking me to MY house." She declared. She's tired of playing war games with him and keeping up with his surly unpredictable attitude. "Or better yet stop the car."

"What?"

"Stop the car!" Which he did. Abruptly. "Now, get off." And she did the same.

"Do you want to freeze us to death? Get in the car, Ga Eul-yang." His eyes widened when he saw her occupying the extremely cold pavement.

"I won't until you tell me what your problem is." She replied stubbornly. "What do you want me to do!" She whined in frustration. She placed her head between her knees. She waited for a long time before she heard him. His voice sounded real close that she looked up. And then she's face to face with him. Yi Jeong was kneeling in front of her.

"First, I want you to wear this." He opened a small velvet box and what's inside took her breath away. The oval shaped green stone cast in a white gold illuminated in the dark. "This is what my father gave to my mother when he proposed and now it belongs to the girl I'll marry." His intense dark eyes on hers.

***********************************************************************

"I can't--I can't accept this. You can just buy me a fake ring. For show. Right. This is just a fake engagement anyway so there!" She took the velvet box from him and placed the ring back in haste. "You can't just insult a family tradition like that!" Yi Jeong thought Ga Eul already went nuts.

"But Ga Eul--"

"No! So that's your problem? You want me to wear that ring? I can't do that. You promised me before that gradually, will tell Aunt Chung Ae the truth. I was rooting for Jan Di but I guess I have to do it myself."

"You can't do that!" He panicked.

"Why not?"

"'Cause I am proposing for real and you're turning me down!" His loud voice returned echoes to the erenic surroundings.

"W-what did you say?"

**********************************************************************

"Woohoo!" Jae Joong was jumping up and down her bed.

"You are making me sick! Stop it!" She yelled but he won't listed. She got off the bed and occupied the couch, face sullen.

"I won, Ga Eul-yang! Not even a week! Just hours!" She purposely waited for him to tell him what happened. And just as expected, he was MORE than happy. Then he suddenly plopped down her bed. She wondered how he could maintain such an energy. It's 2am! "Okay. You didn't tell me yet your answer. And can I see the ring?" He joined her on the couch forcefully caught her hand. "What? Where is it?"

"I didn't accept it." He looked at her like she has grown two heads.

"You didn't--what? Have you gone insane? You're being proposed to by one of the most sought-after guys in Korea and you turned him down?" He held her shoulder and shook her. "Pabo!" He hit her with the throw.

"I have a boyfriend."

"Who? Bi Rain? Sheeeeshh! Do you want me to hurt you?" He threatened. "I have to call someone." He reached for the wireless phone on the bedside table.

"W-who?"

"Hello, Max?"

"NO!" She wrestled for the wireless phone but failed miserably.

***********************************************************************

Ji Hoo eyed the loads and loads of shopping bags their chauffer was trying to unload from the blue Escalade. "What are those, Yung Woo?" He asked.

"Those are mine." Someone spoke from behind him. His jaws literally dropped when he turned to his sister.

"E-Eun Hye-ah?"

"Don't overreact. You're not cute." She pursed her lips and turned around. "So, how do I look?" It was the first time in his twenty five years of existence that he saw her wearing something appropriate in her own volition. Her long legs were clothed with very tight jeans under a bright yellow trench coat. Her relatively short hair was tucked under a cream beret and she's taller than usual. Thanks to the three-inch high heels. And, was she wearing make-up?

"You look. . .weird?" His face scrunching up to uncertainty.

"I shouldn't have asked you." She pointed out and ordered the help to bring her thing to her room.