Fictitious Event

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

Yi Jeong had to drag Ga Eul up the makeshift stage as she was unusually heavy. And trembling and cold. Not because she was wearing a dress but because of the sudden announcement. If Chung Ae wasn't his mother, he would have the same reaction. It's just that he knew her too well and her impulsiveness and her tendency to decide things on her own was legendary. And he really can't blame his sister for acting the same way.

"Welcome to the family, Ga Eul-yang." Chin Hae hugged Ga Eul briefly and shook his hand. "I am proud of you, son." He whispered when he hugged him too. And he felt the sudden urge to cry. He knew Chin Hae treated him as his own but to hear from him that he's proud of him was way way too much.

"Kamsahamnida, Appa." He mumbled in his constricting throat. Guilt rushed through him. He shouldn't be this lucky when he's been lying to everyone. Ga Eul swayed a little and that took his attention back to her. "Are you alright?"

"I'm bloody fine." She mimicked the famous Austin Powers line. "I'll really be indebted to you for the rest of my life if you'll get me out of here." She hissed. The cameras flashed once more and she blinked twice. For a moment there, he really thought she would faint. His mother was handing him the microphone for him to say something but he's more concerned with Ga Eul. Without thinking twice, he carried her bridal style before she losses her consciousness.

"Ga Eul-yang!" A figure was rushing to their direction. She has never seen the woman before but the worry etched on her face gave him the idea who she was. "Oh god! What happened to you?"

"Ma'am, let me just take her to where she can rest." He said and headed for the house. The woman was trailing frantically behind. He carried him up to her room and placed her carefully on the bed. He heaved out a sigh or relief when he saw Ji Hoo in the doorway. "Man, please take a look at Ga Eul."

He just nodded and immediately checked Ga Eul's vital signs. Ji Hoo's the most celebrated Cardiologist in whole Seoul. "There's nothing wrong with her. Must be the heat." He eyed the woman. "Or the sudden announcement." He added.

"Thank god!" The woman exclaimed.

"Is Ga Eul okay?" Chung Ae asked worriedly. He didn't even notice she's there.

"Are you trying to tell me my daughter didn't know you're holding her engagement party tonight?" Mi Kyung asked, an edge in her voice. "If she does, then she couldn't have fainted in there, right?" She purposely stared at Ji Hoo who avoided her piercing gaze.

"Oh, Mi Kyung, I am so sorry! We just wanted to surprise the both of them and I didn't know Ga Eul was a little jumpy."

*Jumpy?!* Yi Jeong thought. That's the understatement of the year.

"Ji Hoo-sshi, thank you." He said. "And Ma'am, I believe I wasn't introduced to you yet, I am So Yi Jeo--"

"I know who you are. You're the one who wanted to marry my daughter without telling me. If your father wasn't kind enough to pay me a visit in Busan to let me know I wouldn't have been here in the first place." She cut him off and he bit his lip. The Chus sure have something in common. "But do you know who I am?" She asked.

He nodded. "Ahn Mi Kyung. And Ma'am, this is one of my best friends, Dr. Yoon Ji Hoo."

"Aren't you the grandson of the former president?" Ga Eul's mother asked Ji Hoo directly. There was no hint of admiration or intimidation, just plain query. Ji Hoo nodded rather awkwardly. "I don't know how my daughter got caught in the middle of the richest people in Korea all of a sudden. She's never the materialistic kind."

"Omma. . ?" Ga Eul stirred from the bed before he can react. "What are you doing here?" He guided her to sit.

"Are you okay now?" He asked. She's still pale white.

"I should be asking you the same question." Her mother said.

***********************************************************************

Ga Eul couldn't believe she's face to face with her mother now. All she can remember was that after visiting the apartment, which made her a little disappointed 'cause Jae Joong was on a business trip in Singapore and she really needed someone to talk to, she went back to the Geum mansion only to find an evening gown waiting for her. The note from Chin Hae gave her no choice but to wear it despite the revealing style. It didn't occur to her that they're announcing the non-existent engagement tonight. Jan Di's family sure is something for organizing as big in a short span of time. The only consolation was Yi Jeong didn't seem to be aware of it too.

Ga Eul opened to say something and closed it again.

"Would you mind leaving us for a minute?" It was a calm request from Mi Kyung.

"Not at all. Boys?" Chung Ae signaled them to go outside.

"Thank you." She mumbled when the door closed again.

"Omma. . ." She started.

Mi Kyung let out an empty laugh. "How could you do this to me, Chu Ga Eul?" She asked, hurt in her voice.

"I sure didn't do anything wrong, Omma!" She wailed. She proceeded to explain everything. She doesn't lie to her mother at all. And she's not about to change.

"How could you let yourself be in this tangle? Aren't you old enough?" She closed her eyes in frustration. "You know damn well this won't be good but you still did it!"

"But I have no choice! I only did this because I know if I'll be in the same situation, Jan Di will do this for me too. I think this is all I can do to repay her kindness." Mi Kyung didn't say anything. She remembered all the times that she would just receive a letter from the registrar's office that her tuition fee's been paid in full and that all her school loans had been cleared. Jan Di didn't admit anything but she knew she's the only one capable to help her out. "We're about to go to Busan this weekend to let you know but this happened and. . ." She trailed off.

"Now I understand. I know Jan Di practically sent you to college." She voiced her own sentiment. "But I still don't like this whole idea. What if you fall in love with that--that Yi Jeong?! I am sure a lot of women are throwing themselves at his feet. I know you are beautiful inside out but Ga Eul--"

"That will never happen, Omma." She said.

"Aren't you too sure?"

"This will be over soon and everything will go back to normal, trust me." She avoided the question and she sighed in relief when she let her go.

***********************************************************************

"What are you doing?!" Chung Hae hissed. She dragged him from outside Ga Eul's room. "That's bad manners, So Yi Jeong!" He blushed guiltily.

"I just wanted to make sure she's okay." He said defensively. "Did you need anything?" He changed the topic. He still can't believe he was caught eavesdropping. He thought his mother already went back to the party to attend to the guests.

"Oh." She looked like she just remembered the real reason why she was there. "Yes, come with me." She ordered and they entered the master's bedroom. They stopped in front of a ceiling to floor book shelf. Chung Ae pushed it and it turned around slowly revealing a short flight of stairs. It was a secret room and aside from the architect and engineer who built the house, it was just the four of them that knows about it. Behind an original Matisse painting was the safe and she opened it. His eyebrows were drawing nearer every second.

"What's this all about?" He asked.

"I noticed that you didn't buy Ga Eul a ring." She said accusingly as she rolled her eyes. "You're too forgetful."

"I--don't--"

"That's alright. Much better 'cause I think I have what you nee--"

"Omma! I can certainly buy Ga Eul a ring! It may not be as grand as your jewelry but please allow me to do that one single thing!" He panted in anger. "And what about this party? You didn't even consult us about this!"

"Calm down, So Yi Jeong." She sighed. "Why are you so against this party? It's about time you let those twerps know you're already taken! Unless you intend to be unfaithful to Ga Eul?"

"Don't change the subject." He retorted.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. And I am not buying Ga Eul a ring. I wanted to give you this." She handed him a red velvet box. He saw an oval shaped green stone cast in white gold when he opened it.

"That's the ring your father gave me and since I'll be wearing the ring your stepfather gave me, I think it's about time it finds its new owner. I believe Ga Eul and I have the same birth month thus the same birth stone."

"Omma. . ." He was speechless. He just stared at the emerald for a long moment.

"Yun Sub really made me happy even though our marriage was short lived. I know you can do the same for Ga Eul." She tapped his cheek gently before heading back to the main room.