A Pleasant Morning

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

"Ga Eul-sshi!" Ga Eul was stunned to see her best friend in the whole wide world standing outside her townhouse, looking so chic in her white embroidered tunic and tight fitting faded jeans. Her hair was double the length since the last time she saw her. Which was what, two years ago?

"Geum Jan Di! Is it really you?" She was literally gaping at her. She thought it was Jae Joong that was knocking. He has a habit of forgetting things, even the key so more often that not, he'll end up knocking instead of opening the door himself.

"Yes, it's me." Jan Di gave a ringing laughter. "Won't you give me a hug, best friend?" Without waiting for an answer, Jan Di gave Ga Eul a bone-crushing hug. She invited herself in inside the modest townhouse and took a cigarette from her silver case.

The ever obessessive compulsive Ga Eul followed her and offered a marble ash tray. She knew her best friend too well to know she'll use anything that looks like an ashtray to put off the . She rolled her eyes in disgust. Then Jan Di looked liked she remembered something and decided against smoking.

Jan Di raised an eyebrow when she saw cigarette butts on the ash tray that Ga Eul gave her. "Welcome to the club." She smiled smugly and settled on the sofa.

She was not able to throw it yet because she has a long day ahead of her. It was her rest day from the TV station and she was contemplating on cleaning the whole house. "That's not mine. That's Jae Joong's." She corrected, too late to realize that Jan Di's the nosiest person in HER planet. She saw her widen her smile, her most annoying smile.

"He?" She asked. Ga Eul didn't mention anything about living in with someone. So her conservative buddy was totally out of being the blushing eh?

"He but she. Jae Joong's my roomate." Kim Jae Joong works as an account executive in McCann Ericsson and lives at the other end of Seoul which is very inconvenient. Without giving her any chance to decline, he admitted that he's gay. A decent, discreet gay. "Thing is, I can't really afford my rent now." Unlike you, she wanted to add but didn't. Jan Di's the only daughter of the owner of the largest textile company in South Korea and a famous fashion model. She met Jan Di when she trasferred to her college after being kicked out of Shin Hwa University after she was caught smoking in the girls' restroom. They became inseparable after entering the same sorority. She loved Jan Di because she was not like any other rich girl that she has met in the past. She might be spoiled and wild but she has a good heart.

"Oh. I thought you're shedding off your old personality and uhm, you know?" Jan Di let out a malicious laugh that she coughed. Jan Di laughed heartily again, the laugh that caught the attention of not a few members of the opposite . "So, you're still the same OLD Ga Eul." Emphasizing the 'old'.

"Geum Jan Di!" She yelled. "Why do you make it sound so bad, huh? And what brings you here anyway?" She glared at her. Jan Di, however simply dressed, looks out of place in her apartment. And usually, if she has anything to say, she'll contact her through phone or email as she's more often than not, out of the country. And she was getting suspisious by the minute.

"C'mon! Is that the way to welcome your best friend?" Jan Di taunted. Then and now, she loved teasing Ga Eul.

"I could've hired an orchestra but since you came unannounced and I am getting nervous about this surprise visit, I rather not take this sitting down." She said and walked to her small kitchen and fixed Jan Di breakfast. Jan Di followed suit. "Coffee?" She asked.

"Uhm, orange juice will do." She replied without looking at her. She raised another eyebrow. Jan Di saying no to coffee? But she let it pass and fixed her a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. "When did you arrive?"

"Last night. I was in Milan for a couple of weeks. Anyway, I brought you some of the latest designs. It's in the trunk." And she examined Ga Eul's appearance from head to toe that if only she's not Jan Di, she could have beaten her up to a pulp.

"There's nothing wrong with what I wear." She defended herself. She was wearing a sweatshirt and heart printed leggings, her usual sleepwear. Surely, she was not expecting her to wear a cocktail dress while sleeping. But on second thought, knowing her best friend, she might be.

"If you say so, whatever you say." Jan Di indulged her and rolled her eyes. "Well, I am here 'cause I need your help." She sat on one of the dining chairs and looked at her intently.

"That's why you brought some 'bribe'" She joked. Even if they don't see each other a lot, Jan Di would always send someone to bring her anything that she brought from her travels. Something as grand as swarovsky crusted wrist watch or as simple as a puka shell necklace.

"That hurt!" Jan Di retorted. "They want me to get married and I don't want to." Her demeanor was a lot different from before. Jan Di's seldom serious, one thing that she loved about her. Her difficult life becomes a lot more manageable because of her. Jan Di makes her dull life exciting and happy. And now that she's putting up a different aura, she's really getting worked up.

"Are you serious?!" She wanted to make sure. She's positive that the 'they' that she's referring to was her family. Even though they don't look like they're the type that would resort to arranged marriages. But then, she don't know them that well. And for someone with status in society as Jan Di, it's possible. "With Jun Pyo?" Jan Di nodded. It was not unknown to her that her parents want to pair her off to the heir of South Korea's largest enterprise, Shin Hwa Group. Not just because he's rich but he's also one of her brother's best friends.

"As serious as I am sitting here. Ga Eul-yang, please help me. I want to get away but I just said that I'll be staying here for pre-wedding pep talks." She was making puppy dog eyes that she knew Ga Eul can't resist.

"But you won't really be staying here so you just need me to lie to your parents and to that--" She wanted to say 'good-for-nothing brother of yours' but decided against it. So Yi Jeong was not exactly good-for-nothing. He's a world renowned potter actually. But there's something about him that irritates her to the core. Yi Jeong was Jan Di's older half-brother. Son of the national artist So Hyun Sub, Jan Di's mother's first husband. And she could safely say that Yi Jeong feels exactly the same way about her. She was thinking that he believes that she's nothing but a social climbing scrub that kisses up to Jan Di.

"No. I want you to talk to them and convince them to let me off the hook." She said it like she was asking her to let the garbage out.

"Come again?" Ga Eul eyes looked like they will fall out of its sockets any moment.