Busted

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

She rapped on Jae Joong's door softly before entering. He was burried in a pile of paperwork on his massive work desk. "Jae Joong-ah." She started.

"What do you want?" He asked in a dull tone without turning.

"We can't go on like this forever. When are you going to talk to me?" She asked gingerly.

"Do you realize now why we got into this fight in the first place?" He asked without looking up still.

"I do. I am so sorry!" She approached him and hugged his sitting form from behind. "Please lift your silent treatment now!" She cried. How she missed him. Their late-night talks and their for having coffee at three in the morning. She rested her chin on his shoulder, determined not to leave unless Jae Joong talks to her. She didn't know how long they were in that position when he tapped her arms gently.

"I forgive you. And sorry too for being such an ." He tugged onto her long hair playfully. "But I still wanna tear all your hair out for being so stubborn!"

"Aw!" She whined.

"Serves you right." He smirked but stood up to give Ga Eul a bear hug. "I hated not talking to you too if that's any consolation." He pouted. "I have no one to pick on." Ga Eul rolled her eyes.

"Anyway, here's a peace offering. She handed him a piece of paper. I lost, right?" She pursed her lips. It took her just a few convincing words for Eun Hye to give her brother's number.

Jae Joong read the paper and his eyes widened animatedly. "Bwoh? Ji Yong-Oppa would kill me." He stomped his foot on the wooden floor. Ga Eul almost doubled over laughing. Jae Joong could really be funny without effort. Oppa? Since when did he become a girl for him to call his boyfriend Oppa?

"I didn't get his number for you to cheat on your boyfriend. I thought it would be good for business." She winked.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Well, during our past lessons together, Eun Hye-sshi mentioned that they need really good ads for both of their teams, Miami Dolphins and Real Barcelona. I recommended McCann."

"Oh Ga Eul-yang! I love you so so much! Here, come, let's have a midnight snack! My treat!" He dragged her downstairs.

"Wait! I'll get my coat first!" She yelled in protest.

"Is our favorite Japanese resto open twenty four hours?"

"Oka-chan?" She raised an eyebrow and nodded. It was their favorite Japanese restaurant in Insadong that caters all kinds of Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake) you can imagine.

"Ne. I crave for okonomiyaki tonight. Don't you think I'm pregnant?" He pursed his lips.

"No. I think your becoming mental." She whacked him on the head. "Drive! It's cold!"

*****************************************************************************

The simultaneous banging of the door and ringing of the doorbell was just too much for Yi Jeong to bear. He narrowed his eyes at the antique grandfather's clock on the other side of the room and saw that it was just 6:30am. "Who could have gone here so early in the morning?" He muttered a curse and forced himself up from the working stool. He was in his working studio where he spent the night. And all the nights before.

Without bothering to wash his mud-smeared hands first, he went straight to the main door. "What?" He snapped even before he can recognize the person that was standing at the doorway.

"Oppa." Jan Di sighed in relief. Her brother was alive. That's all that matters.

"What are you doing here?" He asked rudely. He didn't even ask why was she there so early in the morning when she's supposed to be touring Europe with her husband.

"Can I come in? Your niece's cold." She caressed her tummy. He turned his back on his sister but left the door open. He was not in the mood to be a good host. Jan Di followed suit. He was half-expecting for Jun Pyo to be there too but she just closed the door behind her.

"Now, tell me what you want and leave. I'm busy." He said harshly. Instead of sitting, she walked around the spacious penthouse to pick ramdom things only to put them down again. It was only her second time in Yi Jeong's house. The first one was during the house warming party where she stayed for no more than five minutes.

Yi Jeong was starting to get annoyed when Jan Di didn't even say a word for the last five minutes. "Jan Di-ah." He called impatiently. He knew exactly what she wants and he was not in the mood for any confrontation right now.

"What happened?" She asked softly as she finally occupied the ottoman across his.

"None of your damn business." He retorted. He wanted to say that if not for her thoughtless actions, it wouldn't end up like this but he knew it would be unfair. Ga Eul didn't want anything to do with him. He can't blame anyone, can he?

"So Yi Jeong, nothing would happen if you'll just lock yourself in here and do nothing." She narrowed her eyes, patience withering.

"As if running away from problems was MY idea." He scoffed and decided to walk back to his studio, Jan Di trailing behind.

"Yah! What's wrong with you! You can't just give up like that! You've been evading this since I can remember." In her signature high-pitched voice. He just ignored her and reoccupied the working stool in front of the potter's wheel. It was amazing how he can turn his depression into something beautiful. Since he came from Busan, he already finished more than a dozen exquisite designs that will compete with those he created when he was happy. The only catch was, he already lost twenty pounds because he can barely eat.

"There's nothing wrong with me. Just leave me alone."

"I won't 'til you gather yourself up and fight for Ga Eul!" She said stubbornly.

"Did you really think I didn't?" He laughed. "I did even if I knew she has a boyfriend! I felt so pathetic going after another man's woman!" He smashed the lump of clay in front of him angriliy, ruining the almost-finished tea pot.

"Ga Eul-yang has a boyfriend?" She asked, confusion etched on her face. "I didn't know that."

"Don't play dumb with me. Call him live-in partner or whatever you want! Just leave me alone!" He yelled.

"Oh." She sighed. "You mean, Jae Joong-sshi? She's just Ga Eul-yang's roommate." She wanted to tell him that Jae Joong's gay but she felt she was not in the position to.

"B-bwoh?" He gripped the edge of the potter's wheel tightly.

"He's not her boyfriend. She's never had a boyfriend in her life." She divulged before she could stop herself. She covered with her hand. Ooops.

"She's never had a boyfriend?" He repeated, his face sharpened because of a distant memory.

"Ahaha! I think I have to go now. I forgot I have to visit my doctor today!" She dashed out of his studio before he could stop her.

"YAH! GEUM JAN DI! Come back here!"

****************************************************************************

"Jan Di-ah!" She held her chest in surprise when she saw Jan Di standing outside her cubicle. "What are you doing here?" She hugged her best friend. "You're supposed to be in Europe, right? Where's Jun Pyo-sunbae?"

"I came alone." She smiled a bit. "It's almost lunchtime, can you step out for a bit?"

"Uh, y-yeah sure. I'll just tell them that I'll be out." She fumbled for her purse and trench coat and left Jan Di to ask permission from her boss.

"Do you remember the bistro that we frequented when we're still in Seoul-dae (Seoul National University)?" She asked when they were outside KBS Network. Not a few people recognized Jan Di and they were stuck a bit while Jan Di signed autographs. "Is it still open?"

"Ne, I just ate there the other day." She found a new friend in Chang Min that she suggested they eat in that bistro the other night after their class.

"Good! Would you mind if we'll just walk? I didn't bring my car." She put on a pair of oversized sunglasses.

"Not at all. How was your honeymoon?" She asked nervously. She could guess why Jan Di paid her a visit today.

"Great. I brought a lot of treats for you." She smiled and Ga Eul murmured her thanks. They walked in silence for a short while. The bistro was three blocks away and it was not really a short walk but they both shared the habit of 'walking' the stress off. "My brother lilked you the first time he met you, Ga Eul-yang." Jan Di said softly. She turned to her and opened to protest but Jan Di held a hand to stop her. "How else do you think I can afford those shopping sprees before when I only had as much money as you?" It was the time when Chin Hae, Jan Di's father, only allowed her to have enough money for all her expenses and no extra cash to afford booze or cigarettes. Yi Jeong was in Paris then.

"But he was out of the country at that time." She pointed out, not believing anything that Jan Di said.

"And he used to burn phone lines just to ask me about you, how you were doing and stuff." She rolled her eyes. "I refused to give out information 'cause I know his caliber when it comes to women but he just won't give up. Extortion's a bad word but I think it's the best way to put it." She winked and laughed at the crazy memory. Ga Eul was too stunned to react. Jan Di continued, "And because you were such a dull when were in college as oppose to me changing boyfriends every week, I was forced to lie so the bribe money won't stop from coming."

"You did--what?" Her eyes widened in horror.

"I told him that all the guys that answered the phone were your guests." She usually invites her then boyfriends to their dorm during weekends, she will purposely let the guys answer the phone. Yi Jeong would then get angry as she lets some male visitors in. She will just tell him that they're Ga Eul's 'friends'. And there's a different guy each time.

"So that's the reason why treats me like scum." In a tone laced with sarcasm.

"Mianheyo. . ." Jan Di pouted. "But what would I tell him? That you burry yourself at work and school and that you sleep at 8pm? That's too monotonous! Besides, that's just enough to torture him while he was in Paris." She smiled cheshirely.

"You're such an incredible sister." She shook her head in disbelief.

"I know." Jan Di laughed. "I was very naughty. But I've changed. I promise!" She held a hand up.

"I really won't count on that." Then she ran away from her. "Let's race to the bistro! Loser pays!"

"Yah! Cheater!" Jan Di thanked heavens she was wearing flats. Then she remembered that she was pregnant. "Ugh." She halted to a stop. "I guess I am paying today." She sighed.

****************************************************************************