Sip of Victory

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

"Komawoyo." Ga Eul shifted her attention from the waterworks to the person behind her. She's been staring at the man-made lagoon for quite sometime now after she excused herself from the Geum mansion's music room. The small crowd gathered there over luscious dessert and earl gray while Geun Young, who's just on vacation from Juilliard's, she heard, was playing the piano.

"For what?" She mananged to ask without meeting his eyes. She knew what Yi Jeong was talking about. She took the liberty to buy a gift for Chung Ae. A pagoda bird feeder in brass.

"For coming." He said instead and occupied the empty space beside her without an invitation. He removed her coat and placed it over her shoulders. "I know I came too fresh. I am sorry about that. I promise I won't mention it again." She sighed. In relief or in aggravation, she didn't know.

"If you're really sorry then can I trust you to let your mother know of the truth very soon?" She catechized.

"I will do that. But can you give me a day? There's just one thing that I want to show you."

"Are you asking me out?"

"If you want to put it that way then yes." He peered at her for the first time.

"Alright. Saturday." She shrugged out of his coat and padded into the house slowly.

***********************************************************************

Changmin examined the photos taken by the unethical hyenas who managed to sneak around a private engagement party held a month or so ago in the Songpa District. The very night So Yi Jeong's parents announced to the world that their only son's engaged to a lovely maiden, Chu Ga Eul.

Changmin didn't really like the most famous clique in Shin Hwa, the quartet of the richest boys in whole Seoul. So Yi Jeong in particular. They always had the pick of the best hangout places in school (Jun Pyo being the obnoxious son of the owner), throwing the regular students out whenever they fancy, legion of women kissing their feet and the amount of attention that seemed to get into their already collosal heads. But he had learned to ignore them until his last year in University.

Shim Hyun Seung, his father was a big wig in the construction business. And he opted to send him and his younger sister Young Sook to Shin Hwa Academy to validate his success. Most of their stay were insignificant until Young Sook set her goal into getting So Yi Jeong's attention. He didn't precisely take it lightly but he was confident enough that Yi Jeong won't pay attention to his sister. Hell, she haven't even developed her s yet! Then one day, she just refused to speak and built herself a world of her own but freaks out whenever she sees him wearing his school uniform. Doctors in Seoul were positive that Young Sook wasn't but was proven engaging in premarital . American specialist said the same thing after thorough examination. But nobody can deny the presence of an immense psychological trauma that destroyed her whole future. The reason, unknown to them up to present. They have an idea about what happened but those are just haunches and wouldn't hold in court. So his parents chose the easier and less painful way.

Young Sook's still in a mental facility in Arizona, a good mile or so away where his parents stayed. They sold everything they own in Seoul when Changmin expressed his non-desire to run the business and thread a path of his own. They've been trying to convince him to follow them in the US, saying that he can establish his career in Hollywood in no time. But he stayed for a reason and one reason alone. And the time he's been waiting for has come. He take one last look at the photo and crumpled it harshly.

"Changmin-sshi, they're waiting for you at the lecture room." His secretary announced earnestly and his lips stretched into a winning smile. He can almost taste the victory.

***********************************************************************

Ga Eul frowned at the sight on an unfamiliar car in front of her town house. She was expecting Yi Jeong but the old blue Lancer was definitely not his. And most certainly not him. One of the windows went down and she crouched automatically to see who's inside.

"Get in." Yi Jeong winked and she blinked twice to clear her head.

"New car." She muttered stupidly upon occupying the passenger seat.

Yi Jeong chuckled. "This is the first car that I bought from my own money." He said proudly. "It's very old but I can't find the heart to throw it away."

"My car's even older." She laughed. "So, where are we going?"

"You'll see." And he navigated away the gated compound.

***********************************************************************

Yi Jeong peered at the sleeping figure beside him before refocusing on the road. It felt some kind of a deja vu. Except they weren't heading for Cheju this time. He turned left on a dirt road and drove a couple of hundred meters more in glistening white sand. He turned the engine off before unburdening himself of the seatbelt. "Wake up Sleeping Beauty." He tapped Ga Eul's shoulder gently, fighting the urge to touch her more than necessary.

She opened and closed her eyes several times before regarding him with her sleepy gaze. "I slept on you again." She exclaimed, repentant. "Where are we?"

"Busan." She then looked outside the car and her eyes widened in disbelief. Ahn Mi Kyung appeared at the front porch seconds later, not looking a bit surprised of their arrival.

"Omma!" She didn't even wait for him to open the car door for her.