Icing on the Cake

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

Chapter 25

Icing on the Cake

Jae Joong went down after taking a quick shower. He would like to fix himself a cup of coffee to clear his head. Today was the ad presentation for an international toothpaste company and he was racking his brains until 3am as to how he can make it better. It was his first major project since he took over as Junior Director and he wanted it to be perfect. He didn't sleep until Ji Yong called him to reassure him that he's doing superb and that he'll give him all the support that he needs. It was a miracle how mere words can change someone's standpoint. Especially if those words came from the person you love the most.

He went straight to the kitchen and saw a white generic box on the table. He got curious but was taken aback by the note scribbled on a post it note stuck on top of it. "Touch this and you're dead Jae Joong-ah." It says. That didn't stop him from taking a peek though. It was a heart-shaped chocolate cake. Very simple. No designs even. But the smell was just so inviting he can't fight the urge to dip his finger and--

"Yah! I told you not to touch it!" She was yelling from the kitchen entrance before she dashed to his side to 'save' the box from him and his conniving clutches. He smiled sheepishly.

"Fine. You should have made some for me too. You know chocolate cake's my ultimate favorite!" He pouted.

"Well, if you weren't too nosy!" She snapped. She replaced the box on the table carefully and opened the fridge. She took out a covered baking dish. "Here," She placed the dish in front of him. "How can I afford to forget that chocolate cake's your ultimate favorite?" So this was what she was doing last night, making distracting noises.

"Gomawoyo, Ga Eul-yang!" He squealed and dug in. With his bare hands.

"Aish! At least use a fork!" Before long, they were sharing the cake Ga Eul made herself.

"So, for whom did you make this cake for?" He asked out of nowhere and he saw her blush. "Oh. Forget I asked." He beamed and she whacked him on the head. "Aw! Know what, I pity your future boyfriend. You're too violent!"

"Because!" She whined and sighed deeply. "I can't tell you. Yet." She added in haste when he narrowed his eyes.

"Good luck with that." He smirked. "Gotta go." He gave her a peck on the cheek and gathered his things from the counter.

"Thanks. Good luck with your presentation. Hwaiting!"

"Mwah!" They heard a soft honking sound. "He's here. Use my car." He winked at her and walked-ran to meet Ji Yong.

"Thanks! Say hello to Ji Yong-sshi for me!" She yelled after him.

*****************************************************************************

Yi Jeong took a deep breath before alighting the car. He took it to himself to get out of the house after two straight weeks of hiding and moping. The guard-on-duty at the Geum mansion won't be able to recognize him if not for his car. Two of the house help noticed him and bowed, surprise visible on their faces.

"Where's Omma?" He asked without preamble.

"She's in her green house, Doronim." One of them answered and shuffled away from him when they saw that he was not in a good mood to begin with. No one messes with the prince of the house when he's not being nice. He went straight to the green house situated on the sprawling backyard just steps away from the orchidarium filled with exotic waling walings from the Philippines, angel street orchids from Maui and black orchids from Belize and many more. The orchidarium's his mother's most prized possession.

He saw her busy removing dead leaves from the seedlings inside her green house. He knocked onto the glass door gently and she looked up at once. "Yi Jeong-ah." There no hint of surprise at all in her voice but her eyes gave her away when she took in his appearance. He walked towards her slowly and gave her a peck on the cheek. "You look like a rogue." She said lightly, caressing his stubbles and then his long hair.

"I'm trying a new style." He sampled a smile but failed miserably. "How are you?" He asked.

"I should be asking you that question." She chuckled daintily. "Look at you, you've been hiding under a rock."

"Omma. . ." He started. He sighed. "Ga Eul-yang and I. . ." He swallowed.

"Are really aren't together much less engaged to be married." She finished the sentence for him. She was so calm and her eyes were busy scanning the other crops.

"Y-you. . .How. . ?" He stuttered badly. Then it hit him. Jan Di. "Okay, don't answer that."

"But I've known it long before she told me." She smirked, clearly understanding what he meant.

"But how?" This was getting embarrassing each minute.

"Who am I to you, So Yi Jeong? I carried you in my womb for nine months, reason enough for me to know you from the root of your hair to the tip of your toe. What upsets me is that you chose to fool me than to be honest with me. Did I teach you that?" She let bitterness lace her voice just now. He lowered his head because of guilt.

"Mianhamnida, Omma." He said sincerely. "It's just that. . .you're sick and--"

"I am sick but I'm not dumb." She cut him off. "And Ga Eul-yang? How can you do this to her? If you want a person, you don't do underhanded techniques to woo her. Dishonesty won't get you anywhere. I thought you're old enough to know that." It was strange how he didn't want to run. Usually, he would flee from the first sign of lecture. He thought that maybe a good 'ol scolding was what he needed. He stared at his sneakers and listened carefully to what Chung Ae had to say.

****************************************************************************

Balancing the package in one hand, Ga Eul rang the doorbell lightly. One minute had passed and still no answer. She rang it again. If Yi Jeong's not in, she would never dare do this again! She decided to wait for fifteen minutes. Thirty minutes. One hour.

"Ga Eul-yang?" She jumped up from the cold marble floor when she heard the familiar voice. She didn't know that she fell asleep while waiting for him. Or how long she'd been waiting. "What are you doing here?" He asked but offered a hand to help her up.

"I. . .uhm. . .It's. . ." She stuttered badly.

"Just come on in, okay? It's cold here." He unlocked the door and let her in. She was awed by the interiors of the spacious penthouse. Nobody can deny that the person resides was an artist. Everything screams impeccable taste. She walked towards a wire sculpture that was shaped into a tree without leaves. "I do installations too if I'm in the mood." He smiled.

"It's really pretty. How do you call this one?" Caressing the sculpture delicately. Then she saw the metal plate attached to the wooded base of the sculpture. Ga Eul. "Ga Eul?" Her eyes widened.

"Autumn, right?" He beamed and she nodded slowly. "Would you like anything to drink?" He scrambled to the kitchen without waiting for an answer from her.

Her eyes followed his retreating figure. She was not sure if she can do this correctly. *It's now or never, Chu Ga Eul.* She said to herself and followed him to the kitchen.

****************************************************************************

Yi Jeong thought his eyes were just playing tricks on him when he saw Ga Eul at his doorstep earlier? Why was she here? He opened the fridge and closed it again and opened it again like an idiot. He was acting like a stupid teenager about to meet his first crush.

He straightened an invisible crease on his suit and ran his fingers through his hair. Maybe he should take his mother out sometime. He must thank her she didn't allow him to leave the house without having a decent haircut and a shave.

"Sunbae?" He almost jumped up when she heard her voice.

"I'll be right out." He said hastily, smiling apologetically. He was caught day dreaming in the kitchen!

"I. . .Uhm, brought this for. . .you." She was holding a medium-sized white box.

"Really? And what is this?" He rushed to her side to relieve her of the box.

"A. . .cake. I baked some last night and I thought I'll bring you some." She was looking at her feet. Why would she bring him a cake? His heart hammered painfully to his chest. He raised an eyebrow coolly instead.

"You must have baked a lot. Thanks, anyway." He smiled. He was about to put the box into the fridge when. . .

"No. Actually I baked it just for you." She said in a firm tone. She walked towards him and retrieved the box. He watched as she opened the box right in front of him at the kitchen island. It revealed a small heart-shaped chocolate cake. She held it with both of her hands and bowed in front of him. "If your offer still stands," She cleared . He was literally gaping at her, speechless. "I would like to give you my heart." She straightened slowly when he didn't say anything. Her eyes were becoming glassy because of his lack of response and that nudged him from his reverie. "For. . .real. . .this time?" She added awkwardly.