Caught By Surprise

Push and Pull of Love and Hate

Ga Eul woke up from the incessant ringing of her cell phone. She reached for it blindly on the bedside table. Her eyebrows knitted together when she saw Yi Jeong's name on the screen. She let out a long sleepy yawn before she took the call.

"Yobosaeyo? Yi Jeong-ah?" She turned the lava lamp on and different hues of blue flooded the dark room. She peered at the alarm clock and saw that it was past 3am.

"Ga Eul-yang. . ." He sounded real tired and she was worried. "Sorry I woke you."

"Is something wrong?" She asked without preamble. She figured he won't be calling her at wee hours of the morning for nothing. She sat up on her bed and leaned on the headboard.

"Nothing. . .but I'm on my way to UNICEF fund raising project. There were some problems with the auction that needs my attention." He said as he stiffled a yawn. *I just wanna hear your voice.* He wanted to say but he thought it was too cheesy.

"That. . .was sudden." She mumbled. She was disappointed but tried hard not to let her voice show it . Tomorrow would be their first month anniversary and she was thinking maybe she can take a day off from work and spend sometime with Yi Jeong. They've been incredibly busy as UNICEF was showcasing his art for a fund raising that will benefit the Haiti quake victims and as for her, she was just promoted headwriter and was assigned the season two of the critically-acclaimed drama Iris.

"I know, I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you when I get back. And. . ." He glanced at his watch and he still had a couple of hours to spare. He didn't want to impose on his girlfriend but he wanted to see Ga Eul badly. He didn't know how long his stay in New York will be and he wanted to spend some time with her before he leaves.

"And?" Ga Eul prodded.

"Nevermind." He said which actually meant 'I wish you could, at least, send me off 'cause there's no way the representatives from UNICEF will allow me to leave and see you before I go.' But alas, Ga Eul won't figure it out. He was thankful Ga Eul was not the clingy type of girl but man, sometimes it was frustrating.

"Alright. I'll just see you when you get back." She tried to hold back a sigh. She wished she could tell him to stay but she didn't want to get in the middle of his duties.

"Would you want anything when I return?" He was losing hope now. She didn't even ask him of the date of his return. It's not as if he'll be able to tell her but still! Then again, Ga Eul won't be asking the normal questions in the first place. He can probably say he's going to the moon for a month and she'll just tell him to return in one piece.

"Just be safe." Yi Jeong wanted to applaud himself in incredulity for guessing it correctly.

"I will. . .Saranghae." He didn't want to get disappointed again if Ga Eul won't return the words again so he dropped the call right away after that.

"Sar--" She heard the busy tone. Just yesterday, she felt she was ready to say it. Finally. But he hung up on her. *Well, it's more special to say it person, right?* She consoled herself as she made her bed. She knew she won't be able to fall asleep again anyway so she decided to cook a special breakfast for her and Jae Joong.

****************************************************************************

Ga Eul's POV

"It is our last day together, we must celebrate!" Chang Min announced happily like a little kid.

"Yah! You wanted to celebrate the day that you'll be ditching me?! Aish, seriously, Shim Chang Min! You're always good for my ego!" I huffed, hitting him with a throw playfully. We were in his office, it was the last day of our lessons. I must say that through time, Chang Min became one of my trusted friends. Next only to Jan Di and Jae Joong.

"Girls don't have egos." He declared proudly. "Who goes after us, gorgeous guys, shamelessly?" He scoffed and that earned another whack from me.

"I swear to God you'll find someone you'll be crazy with and let's see who'll be shameless then. And who are you calling gorgeous?! You look like a bozo with a growth spurt." I snickered at my own joke as the high and mighty Max glared at me.

"At least I could easily take your boyfriend down. Whenever, wherever." He smirked.

"That, I doubt." I smiled cheshirely. I didn't have to tell him that Yi Jeong's a Seventh Dan.

"Don't you have too much faith in him, Noona?" I'm older by a couple of months.

"Don't we all? For the people we--"

"Yah, yah! Don't you dare use that 'L' word on me now or I'm definitely gonna puke!" He cut me off harshly, running away to avoid me. After our laughter died down, he faced me seriously and ordered.

"Go check that closet." I frowned but rolled the swivel chair I was in (harshly) towards the coat closet near the door. Chang Min was glaring at me for ruining the parquet floor and I smiled sheepishly.

"I told you I'm gonna get you." I stuck my tongue childishly at him. I opened the closet door and gasped in awe. I saw a beautiful--no, exquisite cocktail dress in ice blue. The beading detail on the chest area was in sleek silver and the low back was emphasized by a simple but expensive brooch.

"Do you like it?" I heard him ask and I almost jumped up in fear when I realized that he was already beside me, eyeing the dress, too, like me.

"It's beautiful. . ." I croaked, afraid to touch the frail-looking apparel.

"Then go change in it before we head off." He grinned.

"Ne--what?! Wae?"

"We are going to celebrate, remember? And besides, I need to see if you really did learn something from me. So we're going on a date. A proper one."

"But Chang Min-ah! You can't date me!"

"Who wants to date you? Excuse me, it's just a job. Nothing personal." He raised an eyebrow. Just in time, his secretary entered, three people behind her. The tallest, a very skinny gay with platinum blonde hair was carrying a large make-up kit, the petite woman with dark-rimmed glasses and wispy hair was the resident hair stylist, and the last one who I recognized as Chang Min's driver was carrying a coat bag.

"Your suit, Chang Min-sshi." He hung the bag in the closet and left.

"I already taught you everything so you don't have to go to a salon everyday. They're here to guide you but you will do most of it. Let's see what you can come up with." Chang Min pushed a button (that I didn't notice before on his table) and one of the pannelled walls parted in the middle and revealed a small but a well-equipped dressing room/salon. With large well-lighted mirrors, dryer chairs, perming machines etc. My jaw dropped.

An hour or so later, I was almost done with my mini makeover and I can see that Chang Min and his staff was quite impressed with what I did. I held my hair up in a messy chignon and applied make up in earthly hues. The dress was extravagant enough and I didn't want to ruin it by putting too much stuff on my face.

"Good. Now, go change. I'm starving." And Chang Min left.

"Aish. That guy--!"

****************************************************************************

Jae Joong was sitting at a corner table inside Gossen in the glitzy Apgujeong district. He eyed the Han River on its night-time glory as he tapped the table nervously. He was wondering on how he would explain it to Ji Yong if he found out. And the fancy suit that he was wearing was not helping him a bit. The place had a dress code and he was not questioning the taste of the person who set this meeting up. The restaurant was huge and was b with high society patrons in their most glamorous.

He was waiting for Yoon Ji Hoo--not for anything else--but to discuss the business proposal McCann sent him. He was not putting his hopes up that he will respond but this morning, he got a call from Ji Hoo's secretary setting an apppointment for her boss. But since Ji Yong was a very good friend before he became his boyfriend, he knew very well that Ji Hoo was his greatest crush and he was feeling guilty that he's meeting him in secret.

"Good evening." He was stunned to hear that voice that he hit his shin on the table's leg when he stood up. He winced in pain and faked a smile. "Gwen cha na?"

"Ah, neh. Kamsahamnida. I'm Kim Jae Joong." He extended a hand and shook his perfectly-tanned ones. "Thank you for considering our proposal."

"Yoon Ji Hoo. Not a problem. I've read it and it was a good one. It will boost our players' confidence and it will attract more sponsors for the teams." He said while sitting down. Jae Joong couldn't help but admire (once more) his no-nonsense fashion sense and confidence. The guy, like him, had almost feminine features but exuded a masculine aura altogether. He signaled for the waiter so he can shake his improper thoughts off his mind.

"Thank you." He regarded his praises simply. He probably shouldn't tell him that he didn't sleep for two days to come up with a good copy.

"The proposal was actually secondary, Jae Joong-sshi. I wanted to talk to you about a completely different matter."

*Ommo! Is he going to tell me that he's going gay for me? Ji Yong-ah, I love you but--* Jae Joong was in the verge of panic. He didn't exactly know how he's going to react if Ji Hoo indeed propose to him.

"A-And what is it about, Ji Hoo-sshi?" He berated himself silently for stuttering.

"I've been meaning to ask--"

"Sorry guys I'm late! Stinky traffic!" Jae Joong's jaw was hanging low while Ji Hoo's expression screamed blue murder. Jae Joong looked back and forth Ji Hoo and Eun Hye--if the person standing in front of them was indeed her.

*****************************************************************************

Ga Eul was surprised to see a stretch limo waiting for them outside Chang Min's building. She can't believe he's really going all out for the culmination of his Project Ga Eul. "Isn't this too much?"

"I bet that boyfriend of yours's displaying far more extravagant car than this so don't fret." She didn't have any return argument for that so she shut . A uniformed driver opened the door for them and drove them off to Apgujeong.

"Where are we dining exactly?" She asked, marvelling the magnificent city lights.

"You'll see." He replied simply. Not for long, they were pulling up in front of Gossen where the valet opened the door for them swiftly. Chang Min handed the valet a hefty tip before the maitre'd guided them to their reserved table--near the dance floor. A jazz band was playing an upbeat but sweet music and there were a few couples flocking the floor.

Ga Eul was impressed to hear Chang Min converse and order in Italian. He really was a charming personality. A little too straightforward maybe but caring and funny if he chose to be.

She was almost done with her dessert when Chang Min spoke. "Shall we dance?" He was already towering above her and was giving her a don't-you-dare-turn-me-down look that she almost choked on her Zabaglione tart.

****************************************************************************

"When was the last time that we went out like this? I can't even remember." tiredness was visible on Eun Joo's face. She was just appointed new CEO of their company and was learning the ropes. She was thinking that maybe she was trying way too hard to please her father.

"You're stressing yourself too much, hun." Jang Na Ra tapped her head playfully. How she missed hanging out with her friends.

"Aren't you the same?" Ji Woo chuckled. "Or maybe, you're just too preoccupied with Woo Bin to be bothered by the business." Choi Ji Woo had been managing their super market business since she returned from her further studies in Wharton.

"Well. . ." She trailed off meaningfully. Not a few eyebrows raised when they started dating publicly. Nobody believed that she'll be able to put a stop on Song Woo Bin's philandering ways but she knew better than to listen to them. They'd been going steady for five months now and so far so good. Ji Woo joined her in a fit of cultured laughter. But they noticed Eun Joo was not listening at all and was staring at something--or someone. They both turned to the direction she was looking and found Max Shim Chang Min, an established image builder and Eun Joo's first love.

"It's Chang Min, isn't it?" Ji Woo asked before she could stop herself. He was dancing with a petite woman in a light blue dress and they were laughing after that sudden dip. They seem to be enjoying the dance as both twisted and twirled on the dance floor, earning covetous glances from around the restaurant. Other couples already stopped dancing and gave them full reign of the dance floor.

By this time, there's no space between Na Ra's brows. She recognized the girl as Yi Jeong's fiancee. And to say that she was horrified when Chang Min spinned Ga Eul for the last time and pulled her close--too close to his body and kissed her senseless for everyone to see, was an understatement.