New beginning

Hello, Goodybye, and Everything in Between


*MINJIS POV*
He stood there, waiting for the response I could not bring myself to mutter. His eyes gleamed in a way that a boyfriend's eyes might have and, though it was completely inapropriate, it was then that I thought he pulled off the act the best.
"Well?", he said.
"We made a truce", Jaehwa answered, taking small slice off the waffle we were sharing.
"Truce? You made the last two months hard for all of us but you fix it with a truce? I think its going to take a lot more than that", Hoya scoffed. The people around us began to whisper and stare.
"Im going to have to disagree with that statement", I argued. "Can you please quite down now?"
"Explain to me, Minji, because it really does not make sense to me at all".
"Its simple. I forgave him"
"Well I don't", he said tugging on my arm.
"Just listen", I held his wrist. "Hes really not that bad of a person".
"I know we started on the wrong foot, but id rather we settle this before I leave", Jaehwa added.
Hoya looked me in the eyes as if to doubt my statement yet he took a chair and placed it beside me.
"Fine. Ill give you this one chance to convince me you are no longer that Jaehwa I first met", Hoya said. His voice was a bit forceful and revealed the slightest bit of anger. I looked at him to match his gaze and his eyes seemed to soften at the sudden eye contact. Though, the intimidating gleam had not completely dissapeared.

*HOYAS POV*
The sound of her voice made me hold my personal judgement in question. I couldnt tell wether I truly believed in Jaehwa or whether I just believed in her. because i must admit, the sound of her voice was just as captivating as the thrill I get on stage.
"So", Minji said. "Have you guys watched that new horror movie coming out?". I chuckled a bit at her tactic to spark a conversation but nonetheless, I responded.
"Okay, I could barely handle the begining of that horror movie we watched last time. Do you honestly think I would go watch another one?"
"Yeah, im not too big of a horror movie fan. I usually have trouble sleeping if I watch horror movies", Jaehwa added. I noted this similarity and the fact that this was probably the closest he's ever come to being even a bit humane.Then again, I dont really know much about him, really.


"Hold on, you used to to taekwando too?", I laughed.
"Yup. Dan 3", he proudly smiled.
"I'm dan 3!"
"No way!"
"I'm serious!"
"Oh god, please stop. This sounds to unnatural", Minji groaned beside me.
"It's been a couple years since I quit, though", he shrugged, ignoring Minji's last statement.
"It's been maybe, four years since I quit", I said, taking a sip of my milk tea.
"Mm, maybe we could challenge sometime", he suggested.
"Maybe", I said with a chuckle.
"Can we please talk about something else!", Minji whined.
"Okay, okay, you choose the next topic", Jaehwa laughed. It was slight, but something in the sound of his laugh seemed familiar. Maybe he just had a slight hitch in his throat, but it sounded fairly similar to Myungsoo's. Though, his smile was more like Sunggyu's.
As Minji began to speak, it came to my attention that maybe Jaehwa really wasn't so different from us after all.


I checked my watch and realized how much time has passed.
"Crap, I've got to get back to the others", I said as I got up from my seat. I pushed my seat in and as I took a step away from the table, I stopped myself and turned around.
"You aren't so bad, kid. But I'm not quite sure whether you're really eligible yet", I smirked.
"What does that even mean?", Minji asked.
"It means you guys better get a table for three because I'll be here for lunch quite often", I said as I pulled the door open. "See you guys tomorrow!", I finished with a laugh.
I jogged to the pizza place and caught the members just before they opened the door.
"Whered you go? we thought you went back to the school or something", Dongwoo asked.
"Just had to take care of a few things", I shrugged.
"did you eat?"
"Yeah, i ate. Lets just hurry back to the school. Id rather no be late", I suggested and patted him on the back. As our mass group walked pass the bubble tea shop, i made sure to avert their attention from looking through the glass window. My chest tightened and the amount of time it took to pass it seemed longer than it had been before.
When we were finally clear of it, I exhaled my breath and finally began to walk normally. Just then, a chime came from my phone.
Thanks, Oppa.
The text read. And though it was only two words, the scenerity of it was no less than if she had typed a whole paragraph. a total amount of 10 letters and one space and it gave off such a strong presence. and thats simply because thats the way Minji was. That was the kind of impact she had on me.
When she said thank you, she meant it. She means almost every word that pours from her lips. and like a river, they flow and carry me along the stream. A smile crept across my face and i tried to hide it. Like it was some crime to feel this way over a text. Like being in love was some kind of sin.
No problem
I simply replied. It was then that my smile loosened. As if replying to her acted as oil to rust. It had finally dawned on me that I wasn't fallling inlove anymore- I had already fallen. The only thing left was the catch or harsh crash. I had no idea what results were in store for me, but I might as well admire the view while I can.

 

 

*MINJIS POV*
I hopped off the bus and made my way straight home. The sun was making an effort to shine today, but it seemed the clouds weren't going to allow it.
As I opened my front door I pulled off my shoes and hopped onto the wooden floor. I made my way up my stairs and into my room, the warmth greeting me instantly. I pulled my blanket off of my bed and seated myself infront of my desk. I wrapped the blanket around my shoulders and looked around for something to keep me busy. I had no plans after all. As my eyes scanned my desk, it caught sight of a small little Christmas tree note.
An odd pain striked my heart and sent a ringing sound through my ears. With a deep breath, I picked up the papers, looking it over.
10 free acting classes.
I had 10 free acting classes to attend and one audition, 5 weeks from now.
Though it was just a couple pieces of paper in my hand, it felt heavy. Perhaps too heavy, i thought, as I could feel warm tears at the brim of my eyes. But as I pushed the papers to the side and the heavy weight on my palms remained, I knew it was much more than just that; I knew it was much more than the inked lettering printed across the paper.
I pulled off the sticky Christmas tree shaped note and felt my palms become heavier. Then, I chuckled and shook my head in disbelief- the tears beginning to slowly stream down my cheek. How absurd it was; A small note heavier than a stack of papers.
Just then, his smile flashed before my eyes. It was that smile that he flashed at his fans. The one that showed admiration. Then it was his laugh. The laugh that slipped only when something funny caught him off gaurd. After, his scent. Then his eyes and after, his lips.
Just then, all the things weighing down the paper in my hand flashed before me. With every second that passed my hands began to feel heavier and with that, my tears.
I slammed the note onto the desk and brought my hands to my eyes. It was then that I realized I was shaking. My own tears were uncomfortably warm against my palm.
When my tears finally dried against my cheeks, though I told myself not to, I re read his note. I re-read his note a few times, actually. I re-read it until I memorized almost every line. Then I heard the one thing that had not acted as a weight against me; his voice. The one he spoke in when he told me something serious; The tone that he left me with that night. and as I felt my heart rate rise I couldn't tell wether I was glad or angry that the last time we spoke had not been more happier. More bold.
I took a glance at the papers one final time and got up from my desk to walk to my bathroom.
What I saw in the mirror was a bit horrifying. With her eyes and cheeks swollen, the girl in the mirror looked nothing close to familiar. The sight of it almost made me break into tears all over again.
I bent over and turned the sink on, letting it run for a bit before I cupped my hands underneath the stream of water. I closed my eyes and splashed my face, instantly feeling the cool relief. I splashed my face two more times before I turned the sink off.
I patted my face dry and though I could still feel the puffiness in my eyes, I felt lighter. It was almost magical, the way water could wash away things. Dirt. Tiredness. Unnecessary thoughts. Though it still couldn't kill all the germs. It still could not kill the pain.

I picked up the papers and argued with myself. Should I go? Should I throw them out? Then, as if he was there beside me, I heard him. It was very faint, but it was definitely his voice.
Go. Your dreams are important.
His whisper dissapeared into thin air.
"Ne. Your future is more important, Minji", I whispered to myself as if to push aside the wind-like whisper. As if it had not been his voice that helped me make this decision. As if the traces of him no longer lingered in my mind.
I picked up my phone and my first instinct was to open Myungsoo's contact. It was odd to see his name on the screen. My finger brushed over the call button before I closed his contact and opened Hoya's. His name had not caused as much of an impact on my heart but caused an impact none the less. I pressed the call button and listened patiently to the ringing.
"Yeobseyo?"
"Oppa, can you do me a favor?"
"Mm, depends. Do I have to come and see you?"
"Something like that", I laughed.
"Well of course ill do it, then", he chuckled. And though I could not see his face, I could already picture his smile as he got up from where he sat to grab his car keys.
"Thanks, Oppa", I softly chuckled.
"Im on my way to your house now. Where do you need to go?", he asked. I heard the jingling of his key and knew he was already closing the door behind him.
"The Woollim Entertainment building".
"Hm? For what?", his voice was a higher octave now.
"Well, I got a gift- 10 free acting classes. If that goes well, im going to sign up for the auditions thats in five weeks".
"thats daebak! Who got you that gift?"
"A friend", i shrugged.
"Well if you actually get into the agency, we'd be around eachother more often. Hey, maybe we'll even be a popular OTP"
"Oppa!"
"I was kidding! But really, you never know", he laughed.
"Aish, just hurry up and get here".
"Arasso, ill be there in a few minutes. Im hanging up now", he said then hung up.
I got up from my bed and changed. Then, I looked at myself in the mirror and told myself I was going to be okay. That with new dreams came new things. I tried to convince myself that, perhaps, the things that happened in the past was long behind me.
Indeed, it was. My broken dream had led me to a new one. A once hated foe had become a now great friend. So eventually those memories of Myungsoo and I will becomem just that, right? Eventually walking past him in the hallways will be the same as walking past the rest of the students?
I heard a honk and was drawn back to the reality i lived in. I reached for the curtain covering my window to look out and signal Hoya i was on my way down, but then I stopped myself. I knew what it meant to look out that window. I know the sort of emotions it'd stir.
It was then that I realized the past will never truly be completely behind me. That as long as the traces of him lingered, he will always be more than just a memory. That even if I burn all the gifts and evidence that we ever even knew eachother, there was no way i could get rid of his scent or his laugh. Id never be able to get rid of him. Our memories was etched at the side of my brain.
I dropped my grip from the curtain and ran down the stairs. I opened the door, about to run out, when I found Hoya already standing there.
"Oh, hi", I sheepishly smiled.
"hey", he simply replied.
"You didnt have to come outside of the car"
"I know, but I wanted too", he shrugged. There was this unspoken tension between us, but it was a good kind of tension. That sort of feeling where being around eachother was much more comforting than being without eachother, and you could see it in the other person's eyes that they felt the same way. and though the air was so cold our breaths could be seen, there was warmth in the way his eyes gleamed.
"let get going then".


I looked ahead at the snow covered road infront of us. The music that escaped from the radio was the only sound in the car. I closed my eyes for a bit and leaned back, letting myself doze off for a bit.
"Did you two argue?", He suddenly asked, waking me up.
"who?"
"You know who im talking about", he sighed, looking out the side view mirror before taking a turn. I sighed, not knowing how to put the situation into words.
"No. We didnt".
"Then whats going on?"
"Nothing".
"Something has to be going on. You guys havent spoken a word to each other for the whole day. I dont think he even responded to the group chats we had. What is it?"
"I think thats something you have to ask him", I said, my voice a bit more assertive.
"Did you do something to offend him?"
"I dont know, okay! We were fine one day and the next, nothing! If I knew what id done wrong, dont you think id have fixed it by now?".
He remained silent, his lips pursed and his eyebrows furrowed. Though he was usually easy to read, I couldnt tell if he was frustrated or guilty.
"Im sorry", was all he said after a long and silent pause. The warmth in his eyes seemed to have disappeared. For the rest of the ride, we remained silent.


As he parked the car, I released my seatbelt. We exited the car at the same time and walked toward the building. The building, filled with the faintest sound of music and chattering, seemed very welcoming.
"Just a heads up, we have practice today, so the members will be here later", he said. It was the first thing he said to me since our conversation in the car. I nodded to assure him I had heard him. Despite what he said, I knew what he really meant.
Myungsoo was going to be here later.
"What time do you end practice?"
"Im not sure. We usually finish at around nine, but ill ask if we can end it early so we can eat dinner or something before I drop you home".
"Alright. Well the class ends at 6:30"
"You better start heading to the class then, before youre late".
"Arasso. See you later, Oppa".
He smiled at me with the slightest hint of sadness, and walked away. I made my way to the class, with the guide from the lady at the desk, and quietly made my entrance. The room was filled with 20 people at most.
"A new face!", a lady, who I assume was the instructor of this class, exclaimed. "why dont you introduce yourself?"
"My name is Minji, its nice to meet you all. Im new, so it will take me a while to get used to the routine. Please take care of me", I said and bowed. The class clapped and formed a circle around the instructor, who was now giving instructions.

I read the script over and over again, just to engrave the message it was trying to portray into my mind. There was me and one other person who had to start from the beginning- analyzing the script. The rest of the students were working on sad scenes- how to cry, little thing to do to make a emotional scene more natural.
"Reading a script has more of a purpose than just memorizing your lines. You need to analyze the story. Understand your character and understand your relationship with the other characters. Reading the script is how you learn how you should portray your character. Learn how they react to situations and how the feel and what they believe. The script is the foundation", the teacher lectured. "Use your scripts to analyze the plot of the story, then analyze a character of your choice. Turn it into me after class".
"Will we be doing anything else today?", the other new student asked.
"No. Not yet. Based on how well you do with this assignment, ill decide wether you guys will begin the performance lesson next class". We nodded in understanding and she walked away to the other students.
I watched the other student for a bit, secretly envying them. It was then that the difficulty of the whole things hit me in the face. None of them failed at producing tears, but there were a few that stood out. The ones that made it seem more believable. They were the ones who you knew with one glance that they were going to make it big.
I turned to my script and softly gave myself a pep talk.
You can get through this. You can do this. You have the heart and drive.
Suddenly, I was brought back to that one faithful day, when I had lost all hope and a boy came running to my side. That day when I finally broke down. That cold day when he held me in his arms as I cried. The day I asked what I was going to do next and he replied in the most sincerest tone,
Something great.
To this day, the pain from that day is still so vivid; so vivid i could almost feel the pain in my knee all over again. But to this day, those words still encourage me. It still stirs my stomach and rebuilds my hope. So with a small sound that was somewhere between a sigh and a hum, I started my assignment.

 

I bowed to the other student exiting as I handed her my assignment. I stood there as she quickly scanned through my papers.
"Minji, you said your name was. Right?". Her eyes were still scanning my paper and tapping against the woodfloor.
"Ne. Kim Minji".
"Well, Kim Minji", she looked up at me as she flipped the stapled papers back over to the front page, "I think youll be able to start performing lessons by the next class. youre coming right? Its on thursday".
"Ne. im coming for sure", I said with a big smile.
"Good. but, are you really new at this?"
"well I took acting as a class for the first time this year. I know I have long ways to learn still though, and my friend gave me a gift for ten free classes here. Though, I must admit this is a competely different level"
"Youre pretty good. Well, your analyzing is at least. Im looking forward to seeing where you go, Minji. i can see that fighting spirit in your eyes", she said with a laugh.
"Ah, gomapsumnnida", I bowed.
"Ne. See you in the next class then", she waved goodbye and walked out the door.

By the time I had arrived to the lobby, it was already seven. I took out my phone to contact hoya, but found a couple texts from him.
Are you out of class yet?
Well, seeing that you didnt reply yet, im guessing not. let me know when youre out.

I replied back.
Just got out, sorry its a bit late. i was helping the students clean up. Is your practice done yet?
He replied almost instantly
Almost. Were about to start packing up, so ill be down in about ten minutes. Wait for your oppa a bit, okay
I chuckled and tucked my phone in my pocket, glancing around the building. It sure seemed more bigger inside. I imagined walking into my own studio one day and just practicing my lines for a whole day. How different life would be for me if I actually succeed.
The sound of loud laughter and the squeaking of shoes against the floor caught my attention. As I looked up, I found Hoya already walking toward me.
"You ready?", he asked, looking me in the eyes. His hand was already at the middle of my back, as if there was something to protect me from. And perhaps there was. Because as the group walked closer to us, so did Myungsoo. With every step, I became more anxious. and I wish Hoya's warm palm against my back could provide some kind of security from this uneasy feeling like he intended it too, but of course it didnt. So instead, I put on the best smile I could and prepared myself.
"Hey, Minji, I havent seen you since the morning! Where were you all day? I missed this little ball of sunshine", Sungyeol came over and patted my head, pushing Hoya aside.
"Just, around. Ive been sort of busy", I lied.
"What brought you here?", Sunggyu asked.
"Oh, im going to acting classes", I replied, stealing a glance at Myungsoo. The eye contact was short but I swear I caught the slightest look of cockiness in his eyes and a muffled smirk. It was his gift afterall.
"Chincha? Does that mean your joining the Woollim family, then?"
"Not sure. I have to pass the audition. Its in five weeks".
"I really hope you pass Noona, itd be so cool to come to work with you. We'd be able to see each other more often!", Sunjong exclaimed.
"I know", I softly smiled. We stood there for a couple more minutes, conversing.
"Are we going out to eat?", Myungsoo asked the group.
"Yeah, we are. Just be patient", Dongwoo scolded.
"Youre the one that eats the most", Myungsoo grumbled, looking down at the floor.
He wouldnt look up at me. He wouldnt acknowledge my presence. and I was trying my hardest to understand what the whole point of this thing was. What could possilbly be the bigger picture of it all. But the hardest part of standing there was not his vow of silence. No. The hardest part was seeing him there and not being able to say something- it was my vow of silence.
It just took a breath to ask him a simple question. To confront him. No, i didnt have to confront him. I couldve asked him how hes been. I couldve broken the silence myself. The opportunity was right there in front of me and all I had to do was take it.. but i did not have the confidence. Though, ive always had a big voice around him, I could not find it. I could not muster up the courage to say something.
So instead, we stood there, as if the barrier between was too thick for our voices to travel through.
"Im tired, ill wait in the van", Myungsoo suddenly announced and walked away. And I must admit, seeing his back faced at me has never been more heartbreaking.
"Yah! You cant just leave!", Woohyun yelled. but he continued to walk, plugging earphones in. "Aish, this kid, always so stubborn", he scowled. I watched as Myungsoo pushed opened the door, keeping his pace. Actually, he mightve sped up.
"Minji", Woohyun said, snapping me out of my trance.
"hm?"
"i asked if you were going to come eat dinner with all of us".
"oh, I dont know", i said, glancing back to the door, now swinging back and forth.
"actually, i have to take her home. So we wont be joining you guys for dinner", Hoya said.
"Oh, alright", Woohyun said as I turned my attention back to the scene infront of me. "Well", he said, glancing to the door, "have a good night then, Minji". His tone was a bit apologetic and I wondered if he could see the pain in my eyes.
"You too. See you guys at school tomorrow", i said, hugging all of them. Hoya put his palm against my back for the second time, and led me to the car. As we seat belted ourselves in, he began to speak.
"So, where do you want to eat? My treat".
"I dont know, you choose", I responded.
"How about we get kimchi stew? Its kind of a chilly night".
"Call!", I said with a laugh and he started the car.


As the waitress set the side dishes on our table, I felt my stomach growl. My mouth began to water and it was then that I realized how hungry I was. I stuffed some vegetables in my mouth as she set the rice on the table.
"The stew will be out in a couple minutes", she said. We nodded and she took her leave.
"Im so hungry", I said, holding my stomach.
"I know, I heard your stomach growling".
"Chincha? Agh how so embarassing", i said, running a hand down my face.
"I was kidding, but I guess your stomach is really growling seeing as you didnt deny it", he chuckled.
"Yah!"
"Sorry, its just cute when youre mad", he continued to laugh. "How was your acting class?"
"Good. We didnt acting yet, we just did script reading", I said as the waitress set down our stew.
"Kamsamnida", we said in unision and I continued my story. "The teacher said im pretty good at it and I have a fighting spirit". I wagged my eyebrows.
"Sounds like youll be a big star. You better not become too cool for me. Youd break my heart", he playfully pouted.
"Of course not!"
"And if anyone asks, im your number one fan, arasso?"
"Fine, fine", I laughed. We sipped at the stew for a couple minutes in silence. I could feel the warmth travel through my throat.
"So, are you okay?", Hoya broke the silence.
"Of course I am, the teacher likes me".
"No, I mean with Myungsoo".
"Oh", I hesitated to respond. "Yeah", I said with a nod, trying to make it seem moreo believable.
"I think youre lying".
"Well, im really fine. but you can Believe what you want", I said, my anger beginning to build up.
"Cmon, theres no way it doesnt bother you".
"Well, why not?"
"Minji, lets not pretend anymore"
"Pretend what!"
"We both know how you feel about him".
I felt my anger turn into an odd emptiness. I didnt respond. I didnt know how too. Yet, with a complicated sort of sadness in his eyes, he waited for more response. and I knew then just how much he was hurting too. How watching me hurt had a bit of a toll on him too. The silence at the table mustve been killing him just as much as it was killing me. So, I took a deep breath and replied,
"Yeah. And we both know how I feel about you too".
It came out a lot softer than I planned for it to. I began to shake my leg, impatiently waiting for some kind of reaction. He remained silent for a while, staring into my eyes. And then suddenly, but slowly, a smile crept across of his face.
"Yeah. We do".

 

The next day, I met with Jaehwa in the library again, reading and munching on granola bars. Then, at lunch, Hoya joined us. The silence between me and Myungsoo never broke. On thursday, Hoya gave me a ride to the entertainment building again, and I did my lesson then we'd eat dinner together. Still, the silence between me and Myungsoo never broke.
That was pretty much how my days went by for a couple weeks.

Then infinite got busy again. They were just about to start a new reality show and their comeback was only months away.
They stopped coming to school and with that, the three seats at lunch decreased to two. It was then that me and Jaehwa became closer.
We finished a book each week and called eachother at night to talk about tv shows. Sometimes, we'd call eachother on the weekends and do something. It was nice to have a friend like that again, but there was still a vacant spot in my heart I refused to occupy with anyone else beside Myungsoo.
I continued to go to acting classes with the help of Jaehwa.
By the end of five weeks, I had gone through ten lessons. The only thing left was the auditions.
"Youve got a lot of potential, Minji. Just remember; you have to feel your character. Im sure youll do great at the auditions. Fighting!", the teacher had said on the last day of class.



As Jaehwa parked the car, I felt the butterflies in my stomach begin to travel up into my chest.
"Calm down, Minji. Youre going to pass out!", Jaehwa chuckled, rubbing my back. I picked up my script again, reviewing my lines. "Youre going to do fine", he pulled my script away. "Now get out there and show the world how great Kim Minji is". I took a deep breath and looked at him.
"Thanks, Oppa. Youve been a great help these past couple of weeks?"
"Of course! By the way, youre gonna buy me a goodbye present arent you?", he teased.
"Yeah. But why are we talking about that now. Youre still here".
"My last day is this friday, have you forgotten?", he chuckled.
"Six weeks have already passed?", I gasped.
"Aigoo, im offended. You shouldve marked it on your calander!"
"Yah, at least im not trying to send you away!"
"fine, fine. Now hurry and get out, youre gonna be late for the auditions!"
"oh, crap. See you after, then!", I said as i hopped out the car. I jogged toward the building, signed in, and took my seat.


"Kim Minji", the speaker announced. I got up, my knees wobbly, and walked into the room. Four people sat in a line, one of the four being my acting teacher. I felt just a bit of reassurance, seeing a familiar face. I smiled and bowed, introducing myself.
"Were going to ask you a few questions before you start", one of the judges, a middle aged man, said as he looked at a paper which i assumed was my resume.
"I assume acting hadnt been your original career path, seeing as the activites lean more toward the atheltic career path. Its not a bad thing, because that can be one of your charms, but what made you choose acting?"
I stared at the judges for a while, trying to think of the most convincing thing i could say. I tried to make up something so he wouldnt assume I was chasing an empty dream. But after a while, I realized the most sincerest answer was the truth. So with a sigh, I answered.
"Youre right. I was aiming to be an athlete. Acting was just an elective I chose because it was the least boring out of the options I had. And it made me look versatile to colleges. But after a tragic event, my original dreams were destroyed. I thought my future was ruined. but one day, I stood on a stage and a new dream was born. that rush; that proud feeling you get from the cheering crowd, I loved it. It was then that i decided id persue that dream".
"Youre really unexperienced, though. Youve barely trained for a year. what makes you different from others?"
"Im lacking in a lot of areas, and i acknowledge that. But I will work hard".
"That'll take a lot of time though", he interrupted me.
"and im willing to wait. Im willing to train for ten years if i have to. I stand out because I put my whole heart into everything I do. If i fail once, I will be sure to succeed it by the second time. if I fail twice, I will definitely succeed by the third time. And I dont mean to boast, but i feel that a lot of people my age dont possess this ability", I paused. "In a generation where things are handed over to you so easily, id rather work for it", i finished.
"Well, training might really take ten years. Do you reallyt think you can endure?"
Before I could answer, my acting teacher spoke.
"I disagree, though. She has a lot of talent. She can pull emotions off really well and is really good at analyzing scripts. Shes an amateur, but not bad. I think shell be done with training in.. two years?"
"Is that so? Well, Kim Minji, im done with questions. Id like to see if what Ms. Kang(The teacher) says is true", he said, his hand directing me to the center of the room. I looked at Ms. Kang and she smiled at me.
I walked to the center. The ten steps it took to get there felt more like a million. I inhaled then exhaled slowly to calm down my heart. I closed my eyes, inhaled and exhaled one more, then began.


My legs felt like jelly as I walked out to the parking lot. A car pulled up infront of me, rolling down its window.
"Why hello Ms. Kim", Jaehwa greeted, sunglasses covering his eyes.
"Yah, its winter still, why are you wearing sunglasses when you should be wearing a scarf", I scowled. He chuckled at my response.
"Get in", he said, using his head to gesture me to get in the car. I got in and seatbelted myself as he drove out of the parking lot. "So how was it?", he asked, glancing at me for a brief second before locking his eyes back onto the road.
"Aish, molla. I really couldnt read one of the judges. He kept asking me questions. It sounded like he was doubting me a lot. Ah, ottoke?", I whined.
"Whatd they say?"
"'We'lll call and get back to you later. For coming out to audition, Kamsamnida'", I replied in a very high pitched voice and batted my eyes, reinacting the staff member that escorted me out.
"Yah, dont do that ever again", he said, glancing at me for the second time. "You might make my heart beat faster", he chuckled.
"Yah!", I scolded, wacking his arm.
"Wae?", he said with a laugh.
"Dont joke around like that".
"Okay. Mianhe, Ms. Kim. I wont do it again", he said sarcastically.
"Jookgoshipuh?"
"Only by your hands, Ms.Kim", he continued with sarcasm.
"Aish, this kid", i scowled, hitting the back of his head.

 

 

We sat in the library, reading through our seventh book and eating our small breakfast.
"Isnt today a special day?", Jaehwa asked as if he hadnt reminded me all week.
"Hm, is it?", I teased.
"Yah, isnt that too much?", he accused, laughing.
"Of course I know, pabo. Its your last day in Seoul"
"You remembered", he smiled widely.
"Well you did remind me every single day this whole week. Just yesterday, you texted me to take you out to dinner!"
"Welll we need to have a farewell dinner! that shows how strong our friendship is", He smiled proudly.
"Arasso, arasso, can we please finish the last chapter now?", i asked.
"fine, fine", he said, a sour look on his face. "Oh, one more thing!", he brightened again. "can you try invite Hoya? I miss that kid. I only seen him four times in five weeks! Thats not even once a week!"
"aigoo, look at you begging. If I hadnt seen it myself, id never believed you guys actually hated eachother", I chuckled.
"it doesnt make sense right? but.. he really is a fun kid to be around. If only you hadnt made us fight. We wouldve been friends all along!", He said, clicking his tongue and wagging his finger at me.
"Yah! You were the one who was picking on me!"
"I know, i know", he surrenedered with a chuckle. "But be sure to call him, okay?"
"okay, I will. lets finish this chapter now! I really want to finish the book before you leave".
"arasso". He cleared his throat and began reading aloud.
Before he finished half of the page, I glanced over at my phone. It has been three days since the auditions and I hadnt recieved a single call. With each day that passed, I lost more confidence. My chances were seeming slim. But if i failed, id try again.
because thats who I was. If I failed once, id succeed by the second try. and if not by then, the third. I stared at my phone for a little while longer and when it the screen remained black, I shifted my attention back to the book.

Just as we were about to start the last page, a strong vibration shook the table space beside me, causing me to jump. My screen was lit up and there it read,
Unknown.

I knew then who it was.
"chamkamman", I excused myself, walking into an empty aisle. My palms were sweaty despite the cold air that filled the library. My phone vibrated in my hands. I took a deep breath and answered the phone.
"Yeobseyo?"
"is this Kim Minji?"
"Ne. This is she".
"ah, this is the judge from the audtions you went to on tuesday".
"ah, ne"
"Well, Ms. Kim, congratulations, you have been accepted into Woollim entertainment!"
I gasped in place of a scream and felt my eyes well up with tears.
"Kamsamnida. Im really greatful for this opportunity"
"Ne. Make sure to drop by the enterainment building tomorrow at 9am for a meeting. We'll be discussing what sort of training youll need to go through and such"
"Ill make sure to get there on time"
"See you then, goodbye", he said and hung up. I turned to run back to tell Jaehwa but he was already standing infront of me, leaning against the book shelf.

*JAEHWAS POV*
"Did you hear?", she asked me, her eyes gleaming in the library's dim lighting.
"I did", I responded with a smirk. She began jumping up and down, keeping her squealing to a minimum. I pushed off from my leaning position and laughed at the figure before me. Her hair bounced up and down but her smile, did not.
Suddenly, she hit her elbow on the bookshelf beside her and stopped, rubbing it.
"Aigoo, look how clumsy you get", I playfully scowled as i walked over to her. I grabbed her elbow and held it up, trying to get a look at it. "It might slightly bruise, but nothing too bad", I said, looking up at her.
"It hurts, though", she pouted.
"Of couse it hurt, you slammed it against a freaking book shelf!", I chuckled. She furrowed her eyebrows at me as to tell me she knew that.
I pinched her cheek and she wacked my palm away, poked my forehead, and walked away.
I watched her leave, her back toward me, and smiled to myself. Her hair sashayed with every step she took and something about it was completely hypnotizing. but then again, everything she did was a bit alluring.
The way she looked when she was focusing on something. They way she looks when she feels at pace. The way she walked with the slightest, yet humblest chip on her shoulder. but nothing was more captivating than her laugh and smile. She could probably convince me to attempt to dicate the world with that smille of hers.
I walked back to the table and took a seat beside her, opening my book. As I read aloud, I looked up between sentences just to steal a small peek. it was hard to resist. She was like a spider, and I wondered if she knew just how tangled I was in her trap. And i surely preferred she'd eat me alive than let me leave. because how could I leave such a girl behind? How can i live my life in splendor after I leave? I dont think i ever could.
I dont think I ever could do a bunch of things.
I dont think I could ever look at green tea ice cream and think it was gross. i dont think i could see a soccer game without feeling a sense of pain. i dont think i could ever watch tv without checking if she had made her debut yet. I dont think a day will ever pass when i dont think about what she could be doing.
She was my new beginning. She was the change in my life. and saying goodbye to that is probably the most hardest thing id ever had to do. Though, leaving knowing she had a new beginning as well somewhat comforted me... because at least i know she will be fine. She was the hardworking Kim Minji, after all.

So, Kim Minji, make sure to stay healthy. and make sure to never lose yourself. Dont run into guys like me. but in the case that you do, run as far as possible. Run, not to save yourself buut to save them. Because if they get caught, they wont ever be freed. I would know. But most importantly Minji, live a happy life. That is the least you deserve for things youve been through. that is the least you desereve for what youve done for me. My final wish, i hope you could grant, is that you think of me in times of trouble. When youre heartbroken or feel lost, im a call away. at least let me hear your voice from time to time. I just hope this goodbye doesnt last forever. i just hope my friendship has some kind of signficance to you. yours sure does. I think there is one thing ill miss about you the most though; Through all the bad, you see the good. and that is a beautiful gift. And thanks to that gift, I have changed for the better. thank you for being a part of my life. Its too bad that a farewell has come so soon. Lets spend this last day together, happily. To the lovliest Kim Minji,
Ill miss you.