Its All a Damn Mess

Hello, Goodybye, and Everything in Between
*MYUNGSOO'S POV*
  The snow covered the playground like a blanket. In my arms, Minji's cry had toned down to a sniffle. With her arms around my body and her face nuzzled in my chest, the snow didn't seem as cold. I her hair and rubbed her arms for warmth. 
  "Let's go", I could slightly see my breath. "You can't get your stiches wet", I patted her back.
  "I don't want to", she whined. She looked up at me and pouted her lips. Her eyes were sincere and I felt my heart melt, despite the cold weather. 
  "Are you fine now?"
  "No. Not yet. But I will be-over time.and i'll find happiness again in something else.", she turned away and looked out to the grass, now covered in white. "So for now, i'm not fine. But that doesn't mean I can't have fun", she shrugged. She looked back at me. "Thank you, oppa. For being here for me when I needed you. You're really the most greatest friend, you know?", she wrapped her arms around me again and hugged me. 
  "No problem", I softly replied and hugged her back. It was warm and cozy and I never wanted to let go. But of course, I did. And so she grabbed her crutches, picked herself up, and walked towards the grass. Slowly, she crouched down, picked up some snow, and watched it melt in her palm. Her cheeks were a really bright pink and I saw her knee almost give out as she shivered.
  "Let's go already, you look like you're about to drop", I tugged arm. 
  "Oppa", she pulled away, hopping instead of walking. "It's first snowfall! We have to play with snow!"
  "But your conditi-", I was cut off by a sudden force. The cold instantly hit my chest and I felt it seep through my clothes, sending shivers troughout my body. "Yah!"
  "Just have some fun and stop worrying", she sang. I gave her my signature cold stare. Slowly, I crouched down and at the fastest speed I could; picked up some snow and threw it at her. She shivered and stuck her tongue out at me. Her leg became weak and she took a seat on the snow- covered grass, being mindful of where she placed her knee. 
  She drew an angel on the surface of the snow. Her finger looked like it was about to turn blue. After doodling, she looked at the tip of her finger and blew on it. She rubbed it and stuffed it in her pocket. Then, she leaned over to her drawn angel and whispered, 
  "Please give me wings to fly and live a life of happiness." 
  It was almost inaudible, but I could make out what she was saying. She let out a sigh. 
  "Let's go then", she stood. "I wanted to do more but its too cold and my knees are starting to hurt”, she bitterly smirked. She pushed herself up and almost lost her balance. I grabbed her arm. “I’ll carry you”, I said. 
  “Ani, i’m fine.”
  “Yah, you’re going to slip on the snow!”
  “Well, you can slip on the snow too! What if you slip while i’m on your back!”, she argued. 
  I bent down, pulled her onto my back, and stood- giving her no choice. 
  “Yah!”, she tried to slide off. I leaned more forward, making it harder for her. “Fine, fine.”, she said. and so I picked up her crutch and made my way to her home. 
 
  *NARRATOR’S POV*
   He walked in, pulled of his shoes with his feet, and set Minji down on the couch. The snow that laid on their shoulders began to melt, sinking into their clothes. 
  “I’m going to go change, want to change clothes?”, Minji offered. 
  “I’m a boy! How can I borrow clothes?”
  “I have your clothes here, pabo. You left it here the other day”, she stood on her crutch. 
  “Oh”, he looked away. “Okay.”
  And so Minji made her way up the stairs and into her room. She quickly got her clothes, grabbed Myungsoo’s clothes, and hopped back down the stairs. 
  “Here”, she tossed him his clothes. “I’m going to change in the bathroom. You can change here if you want. No one’s home right now.”
  And without a actual response, Minji made her way to the bathroom. As she pulled of her wet clothes, she leaned against the wall for support. Pulling on dry clothes was difficult as it stuck to her moist skin. She changed as fast as she could and brushed her hair. She looked into the mirror and studied her face. 
   Her eyes were still a bit puffy and her cheeks felt sticky from her tears. She closed her eyes, and washed her face. She looked back up, water dripping off of her chin, and let the water run. ‘You’ll be okay’, she whispered to herself. 
   She turned off the water and dried her face with a towel. She turned off the lights, opened the door, and walked out into the living room where Myungsoo stood, looking at her Christmas tree. 
   “Your mother always loved decorating the tree for Christmas”, he chuckled, staring at his reflection in the ornaments. “The colors are nice.”
   “Christmas is the best time of the year”, She hobbled over and plopped herself on the couch. she set her crutch down and laid her hand beside her. She felt a cold substance at my fingertips. She looked down to find the pile of Myungsoo’s wet. 
  “Yah, you can’t just leave your clothes here!”, she scolded and tried to pick it up. 
  “Ah, Mianhe”, he turned away from the tree. “I got distracted by th-”, he bent down to pick up his clothes and found himself only inches away from her. Her breath was steady and warm against the tip of his nose. He felt his breath hitch in his throat. They stayed there for a moment, studying each other’s facial features.
   Myungsoo noticed the burn she had gotten had slightly lightened a bit, yet it was still there. He almost chuckled, remembering how cute she was when she burnt herself trying to straighten her hair for the first time. He could almost vividly hear her crying again. 
 A sudden ring played through the house, causing them both to look away. 
   “Yeobseyo?”, Myungsoo answered, a bit annoyed. 
   “Where are you? Why didn’t you come back to school?”, the leader asked on the other side. 
   “Something came up”, he shrugged, grabbing his wet clothes and throwing it in the hamper. 
   “Well, we just got off the bus. Where are you?”, Myungsoo looked over at Minji. She nodded and mouthed, “let them come over”.
  “Minji’s house”, Myungsoo said. And so, Infinite was invited over to Minji’s house. 
 
   Just as Myungsoo finished stirring the two cups of hot chocolate, a knock was heard at the door. 
   “I got it”, Myungsoo ran from the kitchen to the door. He looked out through the peephole and could see the other six members waiting outside. “Password”, he said in a deep voice and chuckled. 
   “Let us in”, Sunggyu said. 
   “That is not the password”, Myungsoo sing-songed and leaned against the door. 
   “Aish”, the leader ruffled his hair. “Black.”
  Myungsoo stood, surprised, and opened the door. 
   “How’d you know?”
   “You love that color so much, it was obvious”, the member shrugged, pushing past Myungsoo. “It smells so nice in here”, he walked into the living room. Myungsoo held the door open for the rest of the members then closed the door and followed behind. 
  “If you want hot chocolate, go make it yourself. I only made for me and Minji”, he took his seat beside her. 
   “Aish, can’t even make hot chocolate for his hyung”, Sunggyu scowled. 
  The members all crowded the couch, and looked at the Christmas tree beside it. It had only silver, blue, white, and clear colored ornaments. Looking at it, they thought of ice and coldness- yet, looking at it gave them a warm feeling. 
   *MINJI'S POV*
   The smell of hot chocolate and christmas filled my living room. Outside my glass door, I could see the snow falling and covering the grass in my back yard. The weather outside made me feel like it was finally winter. Inside was really warm. Beside my Christmas tree, seven boys sat in a circle with mugs in their hand and steam escaping their warm drinks. The smiles on their face was irreplacable and I was glad that they were here instead of at home. I was glad they were here to keep me company and I was especially glad that I wasn't home alone on such a gloomy and cold day. 
  Beside me, someone suddenly plopped down, shocking me and almost sending my cup over the couch. 
  "Woah", he grabbed my cup, our fingers slightly touching. "Mian, didn't mean to shock you", he chuckled, crossing his legs over eachother and settling into his seat. "You okay?"
   "Im fine", I nodded looking into my cup. 
    "I brought your homework from science by the way. I'll help you with it since you missed the lesson", Hoya zipped open his school bag. He laid my homework on my leg. I looked up and smiled at him and he smiled back and it reminded me of sunshine and flowers and cotton candy and every other sweet or beautiful object. I looked down at my worksheet and realized I really didnt know what was written across of it and I was sort of glad. And So I grabbed my crutch and walked over the dining room table and he followed behind without even asking why because he knew. 
   And now we were both sitting next to eachother, our seats only a couple inches away and pencils in our hand. I felt a tingling sensation in the tips of my fingers as the closeness took its affect on my emotions. 
   "Okay.", he took out his worksheet. He started explaining but his words became more like mumbles to me as I stared at him. His eyes were on his paper, and his fingers were tracing the inked-words imprinted on the paper. His skin was flawless. Suddenly, he looked up at me and I realized I was caught. I quickly looked back down to my paper. 
   "Uh, I still don't really understand", I coughed. He chuckled and leaned over. 
   "Its really simple", he said. "The answers are sort of already in the paper", he explained, tracing my paper with his hands. He looked up at me, his face only a couple inches away from me. "Just try it. It's easier to do it than explain it. I think you'll figure you out." His breath smelled of pepermint and hot chocolate and I wondered if he had tooken one of the mints sitting in a bowl on top of my kitchen counter top. And so I looked down to my paper, defying every feeling in my heart, and focused on my work- or well, at least I tried my best. 
 
  *HOYA'S POV*
   Her hair was tucked behind her ear and she hovered over her table, working on her homework. Every once in a while, she'd move her hand and pick up her mug and take a sip of her hot chocolate, her eyes never leaving her paper. Her lips would graze the side of the cup and I sort of felt jealous of her mug. When she'd get stuck on a question, i'd lean over and help her. Our arms would graze eachother and never once did it not make my heart skip a beat. Her touch was an electric shock. If my heart were to stop beating right now, there was no doubt in my mind she'd be able to bring me back to life before the ambulance would be able to show up. 
 
   When she finished her worksheet, she pushed it to the side of her table and laid her head down. 
   "I hate homework", she said. I laughed sn ruffled her hair. 
   "Me too."
   And not soon after, I heard another person's footsteps and the sound of the chair's legs scratching the floor as he pulled it back. He took a seat next to Minji and placed his hand against her cheek. 
    "Are you sick? Do you need to go to your room an rest?", he asked. His eyes were sincere and I couldn't help but wonder if I looked that genuine. 
    "Oppa, i'm good. Just tired from doing homework", she lifted her head up. 
    "You weren't even at school today."
    "Hoya brought my science homework"
    He looked towards me and said. "Yah, why'd you make a sick girl do homework?", he playfully accused. 
    "Yah? How can you speak to your hyung like that", I laughed and pointed my finger at him. 
   "Ah mian, hyung", he emphasized at the end. We laughed and he took a seat. A normal conversation always felt light years away, but somehow we managed to have one- with Minji here too. And again I felt that brotherly instinct towards him but yet, A strange competition and I hated that feeling and I hated the fact that we loved the same girl and I especially hated the fact that things would never feel the same between our friendship. But I loved Minji and that was enough for me. 
    And so we sat around the dining room table, the rest of the members slowly joining us one by one until everyone was seated around the table. And we laughed and we smiled and told stories and jokes and beside me a girl sat with her hair in a messy pony tail but she looked as beautiful as always and she was laughing too despite her hurt knee and her puffy eyes and I sort of wished I had ran home instead of Myungsoo. I sort of wished I was the one that held her as she cried instead of him. and I sort of wished I had met her first. Because at least i'd be the one she went to when she was hurt. Because at least i'd be the one she went to when she was scared. Because at least i'd know more about her than anyone. Because at least she'd love me. 
    And I know it sounds selfish, but I wished Myungsoo hadn't have met her. Because he didn't deserve her. And to be completely honest, neither did I. We werent worth her laugh or her beauty or her smile or her smarts. We weren't worth any of it no matter how much records we sold or seas we sailed. Because her love was something much more precious. Yet, we still loved her and fought for her and I'm still trying to figure out why we went against all logic to love someone that was as sacred as her.
 
   *MINJI'S POV*
   The sun went down and the door closed behind Dongwoo. The only one left was me and Myungsoo. 
   “Thanks for today, Oppa. I’d probably have frozen to death if you hadn’t come”, I chuckled.
   “It’s no big deal”, he scratched his nose and smirked. 
    “It was to me. Komawo”, I hugged him. He smelled of roses as usual and he was warm and I just wanted to stay like that forever. But then he pulled away and I felt insecure and I swear I heard my heart drop to he bottom of my stomach. 
    “I should get going now. Lock the doors until your parents get home”, he ruffled my hair and poked my nose. “Stay inside. If I have to go out in the snow to get you again I won’t give you your present for Christmas.” His threat seemed more like a joke. A Christmas present wasn’t half as precious as he was. 
   “Arasso”, I laughed and shoved him through the door. “See you at school tomorrow. Night”, and I closed the door before he could mutter a word. 
   “Yah! How could you slam the door like that in my face!”, his yell was muffled by the wooden door between us and instead of replying, I laughed and walked into my living room. 
 
 
   My alarm rang loudly and woke me up. The room was still dark and the sun hadn’t rose yet. I checked the time; 5:50. and so I got up, straightened my hair, put on my uniform and threw a jacket on. I grabbed myself an apple and left my house, walking towards the bus stop. 
   As soon as my foot stepped past my gate, I could hear yells from the bottom of the hill that led to the bus stop. 
  “Ppali, Ppali!”, they shouted. I shook my head and walked there as fast as I could- well, as fast as a person with crutches could. 
   “You’re slower than you were in elementary”, Myungsoo scowled and walked ahead. 
   “Uh, well I have crutches this time around so..”, I sarcastically remarked. and so I boarded the bus and sat in my usual seat next to Myungsoo and I felt kind of glad I wasn’t stuck at home today. 
 
   Third period came around and I sat in my seat, waiting for the teacher’s instruction. 
   “You don’t have much to do today”, she said. “Just go with Jaehwa to the teacher’s lounge to print a few copies. He’ll carry everything, I just need you there to make sure he doesn’t do anything.”
   And so we ended up together again, alone. I hadn’t spoken to him once since he gave me that apology gift and honestly, I had no idea what to say. 
   “I must’ve made it awkward huh?”, he chuckled. “I shouldn’t do nice things.”
   “Ani, I like that side of you.”
    “Well its no fun.”, he said as I unlocked the door to the teacher’s lounge. As I pushed the door open he kicked my crutch and I felt myself falling. But before I could drop, he caught me, his hands around my waist. 
    “What the hell!”, I screamed, balancing on my one crutch and pushed him away. 
    “I said that being nice wasn’t fun”, he smirked. I felt my anger boiling inside. 
    "You'll never change", I spat out at he finished the last copy of papers. I walked out ahead of him not caring what he did in the lounge anymore. But I heard his footsteps follow behind me. 
    "I thought you were the only one who was still trying to figure me out", he yelled across the hallway. 
    "I was. And that was dumb of me because honestly, you're the exact erson everyone says you are", I yelled back. His speed picked up and suddenly there was a tug on my arm. It happened so fast and all I heard was my crutch falling to the ground and I felt the lockers against my back. Suddenly, a pain ran through my leg and I realized I was standing. I leaned onto my good leg and I felt scared, because only a couple inches away he was staring me straight in the eye with the strongest glare. I swear, he could see past my eyes and into my fears. But suddenly, his expression changed and he looked down at my knee and he looked guilty. He crouched down and picked up my crutch and handed it to me. The hallway was filled with silence now as we stood there. That's when I realized how hard I was breathing and could only imagine how scared I looked. 
   "Listen Minji, I didn't mean to scare you", he backed up a bit. "I just-", he sighed and closed his eyes. "I don't know who I am either. You're the only one trying to figure it out. I need you. Please, don't give up on me", he said and looked up at me. He was desperate. He was genuinely desperate. And I knew then for certain, that he wasn't that bad boy act he put up. Neither was he that agressive player. He was confused and just as scared as I was at that moment. He needed something to believe in and something to believe in him. And maybe he wasn't that nice guy he was a couple days ago that gave me ice cream but he definitely was not that person that tripped me a few minutes ago. He was lost in the opinions of society and his own doubt. And somewhere inside, he was someone. Someone who was sure who he was. Who knows, maybe he was just like me or Myungsoo, but hell, he was someone. And I couldn't give up on that idea. Because if I did, he would still be lost. And no one deserves that. But despite the thousands of thoughts that ran through my head at that moment but the only words I could mutter was, 
    "You left the copies in the lounge room."
    And his eyes searched my face for some kind of reaction of what he said and I waited for him to say something about how my words had nothing to do with what he's just done, but he just walked away. I turned back around and despite how shakey my arms were, I could manage to carry myself. And behind me I heard him kick the lockers and scream,
    "", and walk to the lounge. Without even watching wether he grabbed the papers or not, I walked into the classroom. I guess I must've looked shaken because Sungjong walked up to me and asked me if I was okay and I nodded and he walked back to do his work. 
 
   It was the last week of school until winter break. As we sat in sixth period an announcment echoed through the room. 
    "The winter ball is the weekend! Last sign ups are today!"
    "Hey Minji, lets go to the winterball. Is it fun?", Dongwoo asked. 
    "Uh, I don't know. I've never gone", I shrugged. They all looked at me and exploded into a conversation. 
    "Then we should definitely go! How could you not have never ever gone?", Sunggyu said.
    "I've never had anyone to go with. Plus, I have more important things to do", I said. 
    "Well, not this year. Because you have a date", Myungsoo put his arm around my shoulder and smirked. 
    "That's not fair, Why can't I take Noona?"
    "Well, i'm the one who has to pretend to be her boyfriend. Jaehwa's going", Hoya leaned back into his seat, reading the script for our next skit as he spoke. 
    "Wait, Jaehwa's going? How'd you know that?"
    "Heard his mom telling him he had to go as I passed her class. He's a threat. You guy's don't even bother to keep up with him, do you?", he chuckled. 
    And so everyone, except me, decided we'd be going and so we were. And this year, i'd have a date, and his name was Lee Howon- the boy who smelled of men's cologne, danced like crazy, and stole my heart. 
 
   Luckily, I could walk on my own now. Using crutches to the winter ball would've been embarassing. I took one final look at myself in the mirror. Despite the fact I didn't want to go in the first place, I felt the need to dress the best I could. I was going to be compared to every girl there, after all. Yet, I still wasn't comfortable with make up and so I only used eyeliner. 
   I wore a high-low dress that flowed like a waterfall. It was blue like the clean ocean water and faded into a white with silver designs. And I loved it. My hair was curled and my heels felt uncomfortably high but it was okay because it matched my outfit. And so I walked out my front door to be greeted by the seven boys and one girl that waited beside the car. 
    "Omo, Minji! You look so beautiful", Haewon fawned. She was Woohyun's date for the night. And the boys said the same thing and honestly, I did feel beautiful. And Myungsoo came up to me and he handed me a boquet of flowers and said,
    "I didn't get to be your date tonight, but i'm still giving you flowers", and I accepted them and laughed and hugged him and felt his warmth and, god. It felt magical. 
    And when he left, Hoya came up to me, put a bracelet around my wrist and said,
    "Well, looks like I have the most beautiful date tonight", and smiled. And damn, he looked good. 
 
    We walked through the doors and the music immediatly boomed. People were dancing everywhere along to the beat and suddenly I felt self concious and scared. Before I could take a step in, he stepped beside me and held his arm out and said that a girl should never enter without a date and I took my pretend-boyfriend's arm and we walked into the filled ballroom.
 
   As I sat with punch in my hand and Haewon next to me, I watched the seven boys laughing on the dance floor. Hoya definitely had the best moves but Sungyeol was most entertaining. With his long body, he could make absolutely anything look funny. 
   And suddenly, a slow song came on and Myungsoo was infront of me with his arm extended out and his hand open and asked for a dance. And I gladly accepted. 
   "You dance much better than I thought you would", Myungsoo chuckled. And I playfully hit his shoulder and we laughed together and we smiled. 
   "Look how much we've grown, Oppa", I laughed. "From kindergarten to now. Damn, that's long. But i'm glad I have a friend like you, Oppa. And i'm more glad you came back", I said. 
    "Yah, we're suppose to be having fun and instead you get all sentimental. Are you trying to make me cry?", he sarcastically accused. His breath blew against my neck and it sent shivers down my back. Suddenly, Hoya came and asked,
    "May I?" And Myungsoo kindly let me go.
 
   *MYUNGSOO'S POV*
    She smelt nice and she was absolutely beautiful. Six years ago, i'd never imagined that the girl who enjoyed riding her bike till it's tires popped would be in a dress all dolled up and dancing with heels on. But she was and it was beautiful. But she was in another man's arms now and it hurt and it bothered me. Six years ago, i'd never imagined being in love with my bestfriend. Heck, I could barely believe it now. But I was and so was he and I couldn't help but feel that it was all a mess.
 
   *HOYA'S POV*
   She was absolutely stunning and breath taking and graceful. My hand was by her waist and I was absolutely nervous and scared that i'd mess up despite the fact that I danced everyday and, damn. 
    "Myungsoo was right, you do dance much better than expected", I chuckled. 
    "You heard him?"
    "i was standing right there", I laughed. And I looked up at him and he was watching us and he was thinking. He must've been thinking about how beautiful she was tonight and how beautiful she was everyday and how his bestfriend and become his first love. Yet, she was in front of me and dancing with me. And I was in love with her. And he knew that. And it all was a damn mess. 
 
   *MINJI'S POV*
   I felt yet, another tap on my shoulder and turned around to see Jaehwa. 
   "It's surprising to see you here tonight", he said. 
    Immediately, Hoya took defense and wrapped his arm around my waist. 
    "It's nice to see you here, Jaehwa-ssi", he smiled. "What brings you here? Come to bother my girlfriend?", he sarcastically said. But I knew better. 
    "May I?", he asked and held out his hand. Hoya stepped forward to deny him but I held him back. 
   "It's fine. Just go take a seat", I whispered. And with one final suspicious look, he walked back to his seat.
   "So, have you figured me out yet? Or have you given up?", he asked as we danced to the slow rythym of the music.
   "Do you honestly want to hear my opinion?"
    "I'm up for it."
    "I don't think I can decide that for you."
    "Go on"
    "I'm just another opinion- a part of society- that you're fighting against. You need to decide who you are, not me", I said. The music stopped and an upbeat song began to play but we remained in the middle of the dance floor. 
    "No, that's not fair. I don't know either, you're suppose to help me", he said. 
    "Listen, I understand you're confused. The only thing I can tell you right now is, stop listening to everyone. Listen to yourself. Somewhere Inside your jumbled mind, you're someone. All I know is, you're not that bully that laughs at the people in the hallways. You're hurt. And you need something to believe in. But I can't be that something. You need to believe in yourself", I said and walked away. 
 
   We sat around the table, eating dinner and talking and enjoying our time. 
   "What'd he say?", Hoya whispered in my ear. 
   "Not much", I said. 
    "If he bothers you, you have to tell me", he says. And I nodded and I assured him there was nothing wrong. 
   And so we finished dinner, danced to a fee more songs, and we left. 
 
   The car pulled over to my house and with my heels in my hand and my feet bare, I took a step out of the car. 
   "Wait, Minji, your flowers", Myungsoo stepped out of the car. 
   "Ah, mian. I almost forgot", I scratched the back of my neck. 
   "It's fine. goodnight, Minji. Oh, and you really look beautiful tonight", he shyly smiled and hopped back into the car and I stood there until the car disappeared.
   I unlocked the door, locked it again after I was inside and ran up to my room. I changed into my pajamas, washed my make up off and jumped into bed. As I stared at the ceiling the night played over and over again in my head. 
   Myungsoo was absolutely beautiful. I know that was a word to describe the way a girl looked, but there was no other word that could explain it. He was beautiful. They way he strode and stood with one hand in his pocket. He danced with me for a brief moment but that moment could last me a whole lifetime of dreams.
   Hoya was nothing less. The way he danced was absolutely flawless and he was a gentlemen. Never in my whole life would I have imagined i'd have him as my date.
   I could smell Myungsoo's scent- roses. But it was defintely Hoya's smile that imprinted my mind. And I promise i could almost feel hoya's hand on my waist but I heard Myungsoo's voice whispering 
 You looked beautiful today
  And I knew I was in love with both of them and knew I couldn't choose. This wasn't just confusion between love anymore. 
  It was an absolute mess.