Emotions Run Highest at Night

Hello, Goodybye, and Everything in Between

*HOYA'S POV*
The three of us stood under the street light in silence as Dongwoo's car drove away. No one said a word until the sound of the car's tires had completely disappeared. The sound of his tires were replaced by the sound of crickets. With each second that passed, the cricket's song became louder- almost unbearable. 
"How have you been, Oppa?", Young Hee said.
"Where have you been all this time?", I asked. I wasn't angry. I forgave her long ago. I just needed answers. Something- anything- that'll give me some closure from all my years of waiting.
"Around.", she said. I stayed silent, remaining emotionless, waiting for further explination. "The states. I left for the states. I came back a year ago and went to school in Gangnam."
"The states? Why didn't you contact me?"
"I don't know."
"No, there has to be a reason. You're not an irratioinal person."
"I was scared. That you'd forget about me. I wanted you to miss me."
I stayed silent.
"It's not like me, I know. I just- I don't know."
"I understand."
"What?"
"I understand. Have I ever been one to stay mad?", I smiled at her. And she smiled at me too.


Somehow, we ended up in a little cafe. Soft music played in the background as we sat at our own table, just us two. Jaehwa had left, leaving me to bring Young Hee home.
We caught up with eachother. What we've been doing these past couple years. She looked the same, just as beautiful, but she didn't seem the same.
Her laugh wasn't as goofy or loud as it used to be. She sat with her back straight against the back of her chair instead of leaning her elbow on the table like she used to. She still spoke with dialect though. Or maybe she just spoke with dialect infront of me- because we grew up with eachother. I had discovered that instead of dance, she was now into figure skating. 
I had my bestfriend now, just like Myungsoo had Minji. Yet it didn't feel that way. It felt more like a casual meeting than a reunion. The atmosphere around us was colder than it used to be and although I tried to convince myself it was because of the winter air, I knew it was much more than that. 
She still had that scar on her knee and that weird stray hair by her bangs, and she was stil beautiful. but things were not the same. As time went by and our conversation dragged on, I had come to realize something.
We sat infront of eachother; Me- Lee Howon, and her- Young Hee, but we were not the same kids from the past. We had become different people with the same memories trying to be who we once were for the sake of the other person, and that was the saddest part of it all. 
She was the Young Hee that went to Gangnam High. The Young Hee that figure skates. Not the Young Hee that held my hand on the stroll on the beach or the Young Hee that rolled down grassy hills or the Young Hee I had fell in love with.
That's the thing about time. People change. They grow up and become their own person. 
and that was the most beautiful, rarest, and special thing about Myungsoo and Minji's friendship- they were the same people. Despite the distance and time away from each other, their friendship remained intact. They still kept the promises they made, they still laughed about the same things, and they still felt the same about each other. 

"Oppa."
"mm?"
"You like her right? That girl that was on stage with you. The one you offered to drive home. What's her name?"
"Minji. Kim Minji."
"You didn't answer my first question."
My finger traced the rim of my cup as I remained silent.
"Oppa, I understand. it's fine."
"Was it obivous?"
"Only if someone really pays attention."
"How could you tell?"
"The way you look at her. You used to look at me like that", she softy smiled and looked down at her cup. "that's how I know you don't love me anymore. That twinkle in your eye that you had when you looked at me- it's gone", she said looking up. Her eyes were glassy and I knew then that to her- I was still the same Howon. The Howon that lived in Busan. The Howon that ran through sprinklers and sang her lullabys. The Howon that stole her heart. And now, the one that broke it. 
"I did love you, Young Hee. You know that more than anyone else.''
"I know. I know I was your first love, Hoya," she had called me by my stage name. Not oppa or Howon. Hoya. "And you were mine too. That is something that will never change, because it has been written into our history. But your heart is something that does change. and i understand that."


I pulled up to the front of the hotel she was staying at for the weekend at put my car into park.
"It was nice seeing you again, Hoya. To hear your voice and see your smile and your face- it was nice",  she said. "I guess it's goodbye again.", she softly smiled. 
"I hope we'll meet again, Young Hee. When we're both happy and living a healthy life."
"Oh, I doubt i'll ever be as happy as I was with you", she laughed.  and although she said it as a joke, we both knew there was somee truth within it. "now, go hurry and confess before someone steals her heart."
Someone already had.
"waiting is for the scared, Howon, and you are not one to be afraid", she said. " I would know."
"Goodnight, Young Hee."
"Goodnight, Oppa.", she said reaching for the door handle. She opened the door but paused.
"Just bear with me for a second, okay oppa?'', she said, turning back. then she kissed me. it was soft and sad and the first kiss we ever really shared. I didn't push her away, because that was the least i could do for her. This was her goodbye. Her closure. She pulled away and leaned her forehead against mine, grabbed my hand and held it against her cheek. "I want you to know that You were the most important person in my life. leaving you was the biggest mistake ive ever made.''
A couple tears slid onto my palm and with those final words, she left. I watched her walk through the doors before I started the ignition. Her tears were still warm and wet against my palm. As I drove away, I had come to realize that was one thing that didnt change- Young Hee was just as kind hearted as she was in those years of our childhood. But that was not enough to revive the love I had for her. And so, I drove away without looking back. 


*MINJIS POV*
A ringing sound jolted me awake. It was dark in my room but my phone illuminated a small part of my bed. Without looking at the caller ID, I picked it up.
"wae wae wae?", I whined into the phone.
"Ah, were you sleeping? Mian. Go back to sleep."
I recognized his voice easily- Hoya.
"You already woke me up, what is it?", I said as I glanced at my digital clock. It was already one in the morning- three hours since we left Hoya in the parking lot.
"Go to sleep, you sound grouchy."
"Yah! just tell me already. what is it?"
"I just wanted to talk. Meet me at the convenience store across of the park?"
The park. We hadn't been there in a almost two months.The cold air was too much for us even if we stayed in the rec center.
"Arasso. be there in 5", I said and hung up. I jumped out of bed, put on a tanktop and put on a jacket- the one hoya gave me.

When I arrived, Hoya was already standing by the glass window, making two instant ramen bowls on the counter. As I walked in, the door made a beeping sound, signaling that a person had entered. Hoya looked up at me and looked back at the ramen. He mixed both bowls a few more times then lifted the off the counter. 
"Want a midnight snack?"

We sat on the bench infront of the park's entrance with our bowls of ramen and bottle of gatorade infront of us. For a moment, we ate in silence, blowing at our hot noodles and watching as people walked in and out of the convenience store across. of course, there were big time gaps between the walk-in's because it was so late at night, but there was something calming about the scene and silence. 
I don't know how long we stayed like that, without a word, but I finally decided to speak up. 
"Young Hee. That was the nameless girl from your stories right? Childhood chingu. First love", I said. He just looked at me, not saying a word. "She's pretty", I chuckled. 
"Yeah. that was her."
"So, are you guys back together? What happen? Tell me~", I said, acting like a friend should- curious and happy.
"Aniya, nothing like that. We just caught up, said our goodbyes, then left."
"Ah, Wae? Didnt you wait years for this moment? Did you at least find out where she went?"
"The states. When she came back, she went to Gangnam. That's how Jaehwa and her know eachother. They go school together.''
"still, wae? dont you still love her?"
"I told you this already. Don't you remember I fell inlove again with someone new?"
I had forgotten. Forgotten completely.
"Ah, that's right. Who is she anyway?", I said eating a more of my ramen. "Maybe I can introduce you guys. Thats how Myungsoo and Haeun got together."
"And look how they ended up", he teased.

*NARRATORS POV*
Hoya laughed.
"And look how they ended up."    
"Yah! Its not my fault. I started it not ended it, okay!", she said.
"She has to fall for me first.", Hoya said.
"Maybe she does like you. You're Hoya from INFINITE, how could she not like you?"
"Oh, but there is such a human being, my friend", Hoya teased Minji, who was completely clueless as of who he was speaking about. 
"Aish, just tell me!"
"Tell me who you like first.", he said. "Let's trade secrets!", he said in a high octave, imitating a girl's voice. 
"Guess.", Minji said playfully.
"Myungsoo", Hoya said, not skipping even a beat. 
It became silent again. That silence that was quiet enough for them to hear the ringing sound in the air.    
"You told me at the mall, remember?"
and of course she remembered. How could she forget? It wasnt that she hadn't remembered but that things had changed.
She liked Myungsoo, true, but she liked Hoya too.
"Now you guess who I like",  he said with a smile. 
and she couldn't. Simply because there was no girl that he took interest of at school.
"Aish, molla."
Without a word, Hoya got up and threw away his ramen. Minji silently followed behind as he walked towards the grassy field. He continued to walk with Minji following until he reached the middle of the field. Suddenly, he stopped and laid himself down, facing the sky. Minji silently did the same and for a while, they  just looked at the sky. 
It was a dark blue. The clouds were almost transparent and the stars barely shone. The view of the night sky in seoul was much different from the one busan. In that moment, they both went back to that moment-when it was just them two and the night sky. 
The grass was still a bit cold and wet from the melted snow, but they felt comfortable. 
"Minji-ah"
"mhm?", Minji answered with her eyes now closed. 
"The girl that i like.."
"yeah."
"It's you."
Minji's eyes shot open and her heart began to beat quickly. She took in a deepp breath to say something, but he continued.
"I am absolutely inlove with you. Your smile, your laugh, your little habits. All of it. And I know you love Myungsoo, but cant you just look at me?", his voice began to raise and he turned to look at her but she was already looking at him. His voice got caught in his throat and he completely forgot the next half of his speech. but he didnt have to finish. For minji, that was enough.
"Oppa."
"O-Oh."
"I think im in love with you too."
Hoya shook his head, making sure he heard her correctly.
"Im in love with you", she repeated "but im inlove with Myungsoo too. and i know its wrong to love two people, but I do. and i am sorry for that. Im sorry.", She apologized.
"Its okay."
"what?"
"I said, it's okay. im there in your heart and thats enough for me"


Hoya dropped Minji home and as he drove out of her neighborhood, his phone began to ring. He picked it up, expecting it to be Sunngyu or Sungjong.
" I know, im coming home right now, just wait", he said.
"Yah, check your caller ID before you answer, pabo", the voice in the other line laughed. "dont go home yet. come over. Im home alone tonight. The house is scary in the dark."
"Yah, who are you calling pabo? Just turn on the lights!",Hoya laughed, knowing who he was now speaking too. "I'll be there in two minutes."

*MYUNGSOOS POV*
Hoya's car pulled into my driveway exactly two minutes after we hung up. 
"Come inside", I waved him in. He was wearing the same clothes as he was before we left, and I wondered if he wanted a change of clothes.
"Want a change of clothes? I'll let you borrow."
"Ani, im only going to stay here for a little bit."
"Yah! I told you i was scared."
"I have to go home, L. The maknae will be worried.", He chuckled. 
"Aish, fine. At least stay for a drink. Want tea?"
"Sure."


Soon, we were playing video games with our cups of tea at the side of us. We laughed and threw pillows at eachother. Just like old days. 
"Aish, I hate these games", I said, tossing the controller onto the couch. 
"Not my fault you .", Hoya teased. We laughed together and leaned against the front of the couch. 
"What happened between us", I groaned and closed my eyes, leaning my head back. 
"We both know exactly what happened, L."
I opened my eyes again and looked at him. How badly I wished for our friendship to be what it used to. The laughing and playing around. I wish we didnt have to pretend like nothing was wrong, as if we didnt both love Minji.
"Myungsoo", he said- my real name. "I know you love Minji."    
"I know you do too."
"I.. confessed to Minji, Myungsoo."
"Bwo?"
"I-"
"I heard what you said.", I said, my voice raising. "How could you do that? You knew how i feel about her, Hyung!"
"What right do you have to say that, Myungsoo? You never ever cherished her."
"Bwo? What did you say?"
"Come on, Myungsoo. Be honest, you knew right? you knew she liked me right? Youre not angry that I confessed, youre scared because she loved me, right? Isnt that right?", Hoya began raising his voice too. 
I walked over to him and raised my fist but stopped myself. 
"Get out of my house, Hoya.", I spat.
"God, Myungsoo. Did you really not know? are you really that dense?"
"I said get out!"
"Minji likes you, L!", he yelled. Suddenly, my anger disappeared. The air became silent and the only thing that was heard was the slight hum from the tv and our heavy breathing. 
"She is inlove with you. You never once noticed! You were my competition! but you were my friend! one of the greatest friends I have, and thats why I didnt do anything.", he said pointing at me and i swear, his voice cracked a bit at the end. "but you started dating haeun and didnt even care to glance at her, Myungsoo! She was hurting."
"I-"
"I cant just sit and watch anymore.", he cut me off. "I love her."
"I love her too, Hyung! I always did. I grew up with her!"
"You were indifferent towards her feelings. Yet, now that she likes me you feel like you have some ownership over her? Because your childhood friends? Don't try that on me. I had to watch her hurt because of you. If anything, you dont deserve her."
"I didnt know!"
"That doesnt change the fact that you did it.. Look, I know i cant choose who she loves in the end. You are still my friend, but when it comes to Minji, she is first in my heart. If she chooses you, fine. but i will not give up until she makes a final decision."Hoya said and slammed the door.

Within one night, so much things happened. So many emotions were felt. So many words were said. 
You see, thats the weird thing about the dark half of day. Emotions run highest before the sun can rise. We are most afraid in the dark. We have the most thoughts before bed. We do things we wouldn't do in the day. And I never understood why it was this way- why things were so different when the sun was resting. 
Whatever it was, i was sure of one thing. 
night is when we are most irrational and reckless.