We can Explain

Hello, Goodybye, and Everything in Between
*MYUNGSOOS POV*
 
  We walk out of yet, another store. 
  "Myunggie, can you hold this bag for me?", Haeun held out a plastic bag. I nodded and accepted it. I was holding all of her bags, and it sort of irritated me that she expected me to hold everything- but that was what boyfriends do. As we continued to walk around the mall, I spotted a store full of costumes. My inner child craved to dress up.
  "Haeun, wanna try costumes on? It'll be a good laugh", I suggested.
  "No, its so childish. You're too old for that now.", she brushed off. Irritation ran through my body but quickly vanished after I saw her face.  Somehow, her beauty made up for her personality. I know it sounds harsh, but she was too... Uptight. She was too mature at times and it was hard to have a fun date with her sometimes. 
  As we continued to walk in search of a place to go to next, I slipped my hand into Haeuns. Suddenly, a girl excitedly jumped out of the photo booth in front of me. The way her hair fell seemed familiar; but it couldn't be her. She said she was going to the park. I looked away, looking at the stores surrounding me. After a few minutes, a nagging feeling urged me to look back at the photo booth. I dont know why I did it, but I looked back- and there she was. With her eyes on me and my eyes on her, we stood that way for a couple seconds, but it felt like years. She was with Hoya. 
  I felt my heart ache a bit at the sight. 
  Despite us being best friends, something felt awkward between the both of us. Almost as if we'd been caught with something we shouldn't have done.
  Deciding to break the silence, I walked up to her.
  "Hey, I thought you went to the park?" 
  "Uh, yeah. I was supposed to, but something came up.", she replied softly. She was picking at her nails; something she did when she felt uneasy. At the moment, Hoya moved in closer to her. He rested his palm against her back and her hands dropped. Somehow, his touch has calmed her.
  "What're you two doing here together?", I asked; trying to find a explanation, strongly hoping it wasn't what I was assuming. 
  "It just turned out that way", Hoya chuckled. Despite his smile, his eyes told a different story; something I couldn't quite put my finger on.
  "How'd you guys get here?", I asked. The thought had suddenly occurred to me.
  "Oppa drove.", she looked up at Hoya innocently. The way she looked at him stirred a slight irritation through me and the fact that Hoya drove her here made it worse.
  I released Haeuns hand.
  "Wait, he drove? You don't even have your license.", I turned towards Hoya. If anything were to happen, Minji would get hurt.
  "We missed the bus and something came up, my car was already at the school. It was just convenient.", something between us became tense. 
  "How'd you guys miss the bus anyway?", I asked. My own tone of voice surprised me. It sounded much like my fathers when he lectures me. 
  "She wa-"
  "I just got stuck in the crowd on the way to the bus. Hoya just noticed me gone, and came out of the bus to look for me. By the time he found me the bus had already left.", she cut him of.
 Lying.
 She was lying. 
  "Oh, Kure?", I took a step back. For some reason, now I didn't have to strength to argue anymore.
  The fact that she lied to me hurt my pride. Lying wasnt something we did; at least not to each other. From a young age we learned to trust in each other. 
  No, no one necessarily had solid proof she was actually lying to me, but the signs all pointed to it. If it wasn't the fact that she cut Hoya off, it was the way her eyes looked everywhere but me. Her hands were fidgeting with each other. She shifted from side to side.
  She was practically yelling in my face.
  "Well, We have to go. We'll see you later.", Hoya finalized and pulled Minji away. 
  With her back faced towards me, I couldn't help but feel replaced once again. 
  "Myunggie, lets go.", Haeun tugged me backwards. I turned and looked at her, hoping i'd forget what just happened, but the emotions weren't disappearing like they did before. My eyes then landed at the photo booth. 
  "Haeun,lets take a picture.", I pointed towards the photo booth. She surprisingly agreed. 
  As the camera flashed and each pose changed, the uneasiness in my stomach still hadn't settled down. 
  This hadn't given me any satisfaction or settlement. Not one bit.
 
  *HOYAS POV*
  The doors slid open and we walked out into the parking lot. The air was crisp and cold. The season of fall would be coming to an end within less than a month. We stopped next to my car and it was then that I realized how tight my grip was; I let go of her wrist. 
  "Mian.", I apologized. 
  "For what?", she tilted her head. "I'm glad you took me out of there.", she sighed. "I thought I was going to break down."
  I nodded. Somehow, the anger in me still hadn't settled down. I pointed to the passenger seat, signaling her to get in.
  We got into the car and we just sat there. Silence filled the air and there was a high ringing sound. Very much like that scene the day I dropped her home.
  "I know you're mad. I shouldn't have lied, but I didn't want him to worry.", she apologized. 
  She was right. I was mad. But not for the reason she thought. 
  "Im not mad about that.", I assured. My voice came out more colder than I meant it to be. 
  "So you're not mad?", she asked.
  "I'm mad.", I stated.
  "Wait, I don't understand."
  Of course. She couldn't possibly understand.
  "Don't worry about it.", I sighed.
  "Oppa, im sorry. Really. We'll tell them the truth later, just not now. I'll do anything to repay you.", she rubbed her hands together and leaned towards me.
  Oppa. Every time she said that word it consumed me. It played with my heart and it tossed it around. And  i hated it. But for some reason, I can't ever stop hearing it. Every syllable, every letter; I loved the sound of it. How contradicting, huh?
  "I just have one question. You have to promise to answer.", I turned towards her, my hands on the steering wheel.
  "Alright."
  "Do you like Myungsoo?", I asked.
  The shock on her face was clear. She sat there, saying nothing. I didn't mind; I patiently waited.
  I know it was sort of harsh to ask her that. Especially because I already knew the answer. But I needed to hear it from her. Maybe then i'll get enough strength to challenge him.
  Her eyes flickered sorrow, and for a moment I thought she was cry; and I regretted asking her that question. But it only lasted a second. She blinked and her eyes looked different. 
  "I do.", she answered.
  Within those words, I felt it; I could feel a sudden courage in me. I looked to the front of me and outside of the window.
  "I knew it." I chuckled. "Listen, Minji. Could your heart ever learn to love someone else?", I paused
  "That's the funny thing about people. They never notice the person looking at them. Instead, they wait for the person they're looking at. And that person doesn't even realize they're being looking at.", I chuckled.
  "Its a long chain. Some people think it's only the lucky ones who find someone. It is true, it is rare. But no one realize it just takes a simple bit of courage; a confession.", Something in my chest urged me to say the next words.
  "Minji, I-", I turned to look at her and stopped. My heart jumped in my chest and my words caught in my throat.
  I can't tell her.
  Not yet.
  "I'm hungry", I turned towards the steering wheel and started the car. "Long conversations make me hungry.", I finished 
  "Oppa, you're so weird", she chuckled. We both laughed.
  "What do you want to eat?", I suggested. "I'll pay."
  "Huh?"
  "I'll buy you dinner."
  "Mm, how about I treat you?", she suggested.
  "Yah, what man makes a girl pay?", I chuckled.
  "You did so much for me today, I have to do something for you. Besides, I won't pay.", she shrugged. I raised an eyebrow, wondering what she meant.
  She chuckled and picked up her phone. She dialed a number and I continued to drive out of the parking lot.
  "Eomma, can my friend eat over?", I heard from the side. I pulled over and stopped the car. After she hung up the phone, she laughed.
  "You can't bring a boy home!", I argued.
  "My mom wouldn't mind. Myungsoo used to come over all the time.", she shrugged. 
  I felt very uneasy. I was going to meet her parents. Maybe this is a bit of an exaggeration. We weren't even dating. But I wanted them to like me. i wanted to impress them. All these thoughts ran through my head as we got closer to her house. I guess I seemed tense, because when we got out of the car she put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Oppa, don't worry about it."
  Her touch soothed me and I immediately relaxed. She lead me to her front door. 
  She swung open her front door. 
  This is it. 
 
  *MINJIS POV*
  "Im home", I screamed through the house. 
  "Im in the kitchen", my mother answered back. I began walking and stopped when I realized no one was beside me. I turned around and found him standing outside of my door.
  "Come in.", I waved my hand. Nothing. "Pali Pali", I urged, now pulling him inside. He finally gave in and slowly followed. 
  "Hi Eomma! Whats for dinner?", i walked into the kitchen. 
  "Kimchi stew. Its starting to get cold.", she said. "Your father and I already ate, so don't worry about us."
  I nodded and pulled Hoya infront of me.
  "This is my friend Hoya", I introduced. She looked up at him.
  "Waaah, he's handsome.", she praised. She began making two bowls of stew. 
  "I can make it", I tried to take the bowls away. 
  "Ani, just go sit at the table.", I did as she asked.
  She set the bowls down. I began eating almost instantly. When I looked up, I found Hoya looking at me and laughing. I must've been eating fast. It was a bad habit. I finished chewing the food in my mouth and set my spoon down. 
  "Yah, eat. I didn't bring you here to watch.", I scolded, trying to hide my embarrassment. 
  "Cute", he finished with a chuckle and began eating. 
  "Is he your boyfriend?", my mother asked openly. I hadn't notice her standing in the kitchen. Hoya coughed, nearly choking on his food.
  "Eomma! Its not like that. Hes one of the Infinite Oppas.", I informed. She nodded with a smug smirk on her face and left.
  "You okay?", I asked. 
   "Yeah", he picked up his napkin and wiped his mouth and nose. His face was a slight pink. 
  "Is it too spicy?", I asked. 
  "Huh?"
  "Your face is pink.", I stated. He dropped his spoon and touched his cheeks.
  "O-oh. Kure? Uh, yeah. I guess its a little spicy.", he stuttered. 
  "I'll get you water.", I stood from my seat and walked to the fridge. 
  "Thanks again, for today.", I thanked while pouring his water. 
  "Oh, that wasn't much.", he nonchalantly shrugged off.
  "No, you've done a lot from. From day 1 you were always there. Thank you for that.", I smiled and set his water down. He picked it up and drank it.
  "Well, you're welcome then.", he chuckled. 
 
  "Is she dead?!", Hoya screamed. After dinner, we had time on our hands. We decided to watch a movie; my pick. Naturally, I enjoy horror movies. And thats exactly what I chose. But it turns out, Hoya isnt too fond of them. At first, I was going to change it but he said he could handle it so, here we are.
  Both sitting in our own single couch, the lights were off and the only thing glowing in the room was the tv screen. 
  "Why do they keep dying?", he asked. Cuddled in a blanket I lent him, he actually looked cute.
  "They're not dead. I told you, they're only in critical condition.", I explained. "And isn't it obvious that the song is cursed?", I chuckled.
  I've watched this movie a few times, but I always liked it. Hoya on the other hand thought other wise. 
  "Aish, this movie is too much.", he ruffled his hair. 
  "I can turn it off if you want."
  "Aniya, its okay.", he shook off. Boys, always trying to prove something.
  
  
  The movie had come to an end with the cursed song playing in a karaoke room. 
  "Does that character die?", he asked as I got up and the lights.
  "I dont know, just assume.", I shrugged.
  "Whats that movie called?"
  "White."
  "That's a creepy movie."
  I chuckled. I'll make sure not to choose a horror next time. I shut off the Tv and leaned back into my seat. 
  "What next?", I asked.
  "Mm.. Let's just relax for a while.", he laid back. The room was silent for a moment.
 
  "When are we going to tell them?", Hoya asked. I knew what he was talking about.
  "I dont know. But, we're not actually dating, so it couldn't be too difficult right?", I asked.
  "I dont know.", he finished.
   None of us wanted to admit it, but we were afraid of how they'd react. wanting to put the topic to the side, I stood. I ran up to my room, leaving Hoya in the living room; clueless. When i found it, i ran back down the stairs.
 "Here.", I threw the picture book at him. 
  "Its full of pictures from my childhood. Myungsoo's in a lot of them.", I plumped back in to my seat .
 
  Somehow, we both dozed off as we were looking at my photo album. 
  When I awoke, I found Hoya sleeping beside me and my photo album opened on his lap. I picked it up and was about to close it when I realized what picture it was open to.
  I opened it up again and looked at the photo placed inside.
  It was the day we went to the water park for the first time together. As a five year old, it was probably the most fun time i've ever experienced. i can still remember the way the water felt against my skin and how happy I was to have someone with me. I smiled to myself. I closed the book and set it leaning against the bottom of my chair. I looked around my living room for a bit and my eyes fell onto the clock.
  9:57.
  I jumped out of my chair.
  "Oppa, get up! Its super late.", I shook his shoulder. His eyes began to open and he sat up. Blinking, he looked around the room and tried to figure where he was. When he was fully awake and aware, he jumped out of his chair and threw the blanket. His hands felt the couch, searching for his phone.
  "Oppa, we have school tomorrow. How did we fall asleep? Im so sorry, is your mom mad?", I began panicking. 
 
  *HOYAS POV*
   A shake on my shoulder awoke me. As my eyes opened, I tried to figure out where I was. I found myself cuddled on a single couch with a blanket around me. At first it seemed unfamiliar but as the gears in my head began moving, I remembered where I was. I jumped off of the couch and began searching for my phone. 
  Behind me Minji was panicking. 
    Oppa, we have school tomorrow. How did we fall asleep? Im so sorry, is your mom mad?", she panicked. I found my phone in the crevice of the couch and sat back down and watched Minji.
  "Its already nine, you have to get home. Will your mom be mad? Oh gosh, How did we fall asleep?", she was walking back and forth across the living room.
  Cute.
  "Minji, I don't live with my mom.", I chuckled. She stopped walking. "I live with the Infinite members. Except for L. He lives with his parents", I explained. 
  "Well im sure they're worried about you too. Its already nine! We have school tomorrow."
  "I'll call them now.".
  I my phone and a list of missed phone calls appeared.
  All the members called about five times, but L called about 10. 
  "They only called a few time", I lied. I didn't want her to worry. 
  I called back Sunggyu. 
  "Hoya? Where are you? Its so late!", he answered.
  "Mian, Hyung. I lost track of time, im coming home now."
  "Hyung, are you okay?", the maknae snatched the phone from Sunggyus hand. In the backround I could hear him trying to retrieve it back.
  "Im fine.", I chuckled. "Let the rest of the members know. Im coming back now. Ill hang up first.", I ended the call.
  "So?", she asked.
  "They're not mad. But I got to get home. See you at school tomorrow, jagiya", I ended playful and ruffled her hair. 
  She got the reference and laughed uncomfortably.  Maybe I shouldn't have said that. 
  
  Hopping into my car, I buckled myself in. I reached for my keys but dropped it, remembering one more call I had to return.
  I reached for my phone in my pocket and dialed his number. Within two rings, he picked up.
  "Where are you? Is Minji okay?", his voice sound panicked. 
  "Im in the car. Shes fine. Shes inside her house if you're wondering.", I answered calmly. On the other side of the line I heard a faint sigh of relief. 
  "I went to her house for dinner and we fell asleep.", I finished. Something in me gave me the sudden courage. On the other side of the line i could tell he felt mixed emotions.
  Hurt. Irritation. Confusion. Something like that.
   "If you're wondering why I was with her today, you'll probably find out tomorrow. Just wait till then", I hung up without a farewell. 
  I let out a big sigh as I gripped the wheel. What did I just do? Was I too obvious? I began cooling down.
  As I started the car and drove away my legs and arms felt shaky. 
  No, I didn't hate L. Infact, he's almost like a brother to me. But when it comes to Minji- its a different story. He never acknowledged her feelings. Maybe, just maybe, he'll feel the pain he gave her. 
  "Mianhe, Myungsoo.", I whispered as I drove.
  
    *MYUNGSOOS POV*
  The other end cut off. I dropped my phone on my bed and sat at the edge. At her house? For what?
  My stomach began stirring and my chest began tightening. I hate this feeling, but it came to me so often now. 
  Hoya. The closer he gets to her the more uneasy I feel. 
  Hes going to replace you. 
  Something told me. Frustrated, I threw my pillow at the wall. 
  No.
  I'm her bestfriend.
 He can't replace me.
  Right?
 
  *NARRATORS POV*
  The bell rung signaling the end of sixth period and the beginning of recess.  
  "What period is next?", Sunggyu asked.
  "1st", Minji casually answered.
  They all walked to the bench underneath the tree; their normal hangout spot.
  Minji took a seat on the bench by herself. She felt exhausted. Letting it consume her, she laid across the bench and closed her eyes.
  As she slept, two people watched her from a far. 
  Hoya's words rang through Myungsoo's ears.
   
"If you're wondering why I was with her today, you'll probably find out tomorrow. Just wait till then"
 
  Hoya on the other hand just watched the angelic figure in front of him. At the moment, he had no worries. Just watching her sleeping peacefully put his mind at ease. He turned away and joined into the members conversation, just so no one would notice him staring.
  As the conversation changed subjects, Hoya's eyes began wandering. It was a weird habit he had, but when he talked to other people he couldn't keep eye contact for too long.
  His eyes wandered to the level above them. He caught a glimpse of a familiar figure. Hoya's eyes followed the figure's pathway. As he watched him walk down the stairs, he realized he was coming 
  Right
  towards
  them.
  At first, Hoya didn't care. In fact, Jaehwa was merely someone in the background to him. But the realization hit him.
  Jaehwa believed Minji and him were dating.
  Hoya quickly ran over to the bunch, lifted Minji's head and laid it on his leg; without awakening her. Hoya did this just in time. Jaehwa was rounding the corner and walking towards them.
  As a last minute decision, Hoya slipped his hand into Minji's and intertwined his fingers with hers. 
   Just for extra effect.
   The rest of infinite was in a state of shock. None of them had a clue what was going on.
  Minji and Hoya? 
  That can't be.
  Hoya's eyes scanned Infinite's expressions. Worry ran through his body. 
  "Oh. Its you again. How are you two love birds?", Jaehwa smirked. 
  All of infinites eyes grew wider and Hoya felt his chest tighten. 
  "Bwo?", Myungsoo questioned. 
  The air around them was tense. This situation was a scrambled mess.
  "Oh, was this a secret rendezvous?", Jaehwa's smirk grew into a grin. "Sounds like I exposed it. Mian.", Jaehwa finished sarcastically and walked off. 
  Hoya cursed him underneath his breath. 
  As Jaehwa walked away, Hoya was afraid to face what was next.
  The members.
  As he slowly looked at each of their faces, he could see confusion. 
  But Myungsoo.
  His facial expression was much more complex.
  Confusion. Anger. Maybe even a bit of betrayal.
  Hoya looked down at the sleeping Minji, realizing he still had his hand intertwined with hers. He quickly let go.
  "I'll explain", Hoya broke the silence.
  "You better explain", Myungsoo replied. His tone of voice was deeper and cold.
  Hoya let out a sigh. He soaked in his surroundings, watching as kids roamed the school and birds flew in the sky. 
  It was such a beautiful day for such a tense scene.
  He let out a big sigh and came to face with the fact that he had to confess. 
  He lightly shook Minji to wake her up.
  "We have some explaining to do.", he softly whispered. 
  Minji opened her eyes, a bit confused on what was going on. Her head seemed to be against Hoya's thigh. How'd it get there? As she looked infront of her, she found all of infinite lined next to each other; Arms crossed and eyes narrowed.
  The scene in front of her slightly frightened her. 
  "What's going on?", she sat up. All of the infinite members kept their eyes on her and Hoya. 
  "Are you guys dating?", Woohyun asked. 
  Minji's heart raced and her palms grew sweaty. 
  Crap.