Youve Got Some Explaining to do

Hello, Goodybye, and Everything in Between

*MINJIS POV*
A very loud, ear piercing-sound rang through my room, waking me up. I rolled over, shut my alarm off, and sat up. Sitting on the edge of the bed, I rubbed my eyes and yawned, looking out the window. The sun was just rising from its sleep as well and the street was lightly covered in snow. The street lights were still on and suddenly, it reminded me of the figure that sat there just two days ago. It flashed right before my eyes, bringing me back. Back to the dark night and mixed feelings. Just then, I seen him put his phone back in his pocket. I seen him look at his screen and purposely ignore my call. I seen him turn off his phone. I seen him look up at my window. I witnessed it all over again. As if the pain in my heart was not enough. As if the photos and the videos of us was not a constant reminder. As if the space beside me had not reminded me of his absence.
I got up from my bed and closed my curtains quickly, hoping that if I exerted enough force itd stop the flashes. Itd dull the pain. but it didnt. I closed my eyes and took deep breath, deciding that itd be best if the curtain remained close. To shut that scene from my view completely. To at least eliminate one of the many reminders. It was sort of sad, really. Having to block out the beautiful sunlight and mysterious night sky because of that one street light that brought pain. Having to block out the falling snow and pouring rain because of that one night. Having to shut out the laughs of the neighborhood kids because of one person. Yet again, what new memories through the views of my window would I want to make anyway? If there was anything I learned from this, it was that more memories only make it harder to let go.
I walked over to my closet and changed into uniform, covering it with a coat, then jogged down the stairs. It felt weird to be wearing something that sat in your closet for two weeks without being touched. I packed my lunch and walked out of my home, locking the door before I left.
As I stepped out, a shiver ran through my body. I buttoned up my coat and sighed. I took my time walking to the bus stop, my footsteps imprinting the snow. The neighborhood was peacefully sleeping- completely silent. I stepped onto the pathway that lead to the bus stop and stopped. I closed my eyes, remembering those few months ago before Myungsoo came back.
Things were so different from then. The weather. The warmth. Yet, there still was his abscence. The pain from his absence then felt different from the pain now, though. As I began walking toward the bus stop again, I softly smiled at the ground, remembering those few months we had together before he shut me out. At least I had those moments to cherish.
I hopped on the bus and took a seat at the very back. Just before the bus pulled away from the curb, a group of boys ran on, apologizing. I knew then, who they were and it sort of hurt my heart yet it of reminded me of the first day he came back, and that made me smile. It was then that i realized i was staring at my feet. As I looked up, my eyes met with his.
Cold and empty. That was my first thought.
He stood there for a moment, as if to actually acknowledge me. and for a second, I thought he'd take his usual seat beside me and ask me how I was doing. Just for a second, i believed that the situation would just blow over. But then, he broke his gaze and sat in the seat across and looked out the window. As if i was not there.
Sunggyu was the next person to have to decide where to sit. He switched his gaze from mine to Myungsoo's seat, probably questioning why we sat in different seats. Only then did it come to my attention that the members had no knowledge of what was going on. In the end, he chose to sit beside Myungsoo and Hoya sat beside me.
"Hey", he said. Something in his voice sounded sympathetic.
"Hey", I responded with a soft smile.
"How was your new years?"
"mm, it was okay", I shrugged, taking a glance across at Myungsoo. He leaned closer to the window, staring out. I looked back at Hoya and tilted my head. "yours?"
"Not bad. i didnt get to spend time with my family though".
"That must ".
"Yeah, it kind of does. but thats how work is", he shrugged. I nodded as a response and we stayed silent for a moment, listening to the sound of the other kids. "Doesnt it feel weird to wear this uniform again?", he asked, breaking the silence.
"I thought I was the only one that felt that way", i laughed.
"Nope. looks like we have to get used to it again", he scrunched his face and laughed back.
"Yeah. I guess we do", i said, my laugh dying down to a smile. It was nice to genuinely laugh. I almost thought I had forgotten how to these past few days. I yawned and rubbed my eyes, cursing myself for sleeping so late.
"what time did you sleep last night?", he asked, noticing how long my yawn was.
"mm, maybe two in the morning?"
"Whyd you go to bed so late?"
"Had to catch up and finish homework", I lied, yawning. To tell him that sleep was troubling for me was sort of difficult. because then id have to tell him how the pain in my heart kept me awake.
"Aish, what straight A student procrastinates like that?", he playfullly scowled.
"I procrastinate BECAUSE im A straight a student"
"That doesnt even make sense!"
"Because i already have good grades, one missing assignment wouldnt really change anything", I explained, leaning back into my seat and closing my eyes. He didnt respond at first, so i figured our conversation had ended. Then, I felt his hand on my cheek, bringing my head onto his shoulder.
"This is more comfortable, dont you think?"
I smiled a bit because, well.. because i couldnt help it.


*HOYAS POV*
Homework. Of course I knew it was a lie. Of course I knew something was wrong. I looked at her sleeping figure, wondering what possibly could have happened between them two. There was a pained look in the way she slept. There was no peaceful look to her facial expression. I glanced over at Myungsoo who stared out the window and silently questioned him. What was going on? Why was he not doing anything about it?
It was then that I realized he wasnt planning on doing anything. He wasnt planning on comforting her. The pain she felt, he planned to let it consume her. I looked back at her and felt a weird striking pain in my chest. It only lasted for a second but that was all I needed to realize her usual sense of comfort was what was bringing her pain. I sighed and laid her head on my shoulder. Partly because ive always wanted her this close to me, but mostly because i wanted her to know I was there. That I could be her shield and her friend. That I could be her comfort just like he was, If she would just let me.
"This is more comfortable, dont you think?", I said with a chuckle. She didnt respond with a yes or a mumble but instead, with a smile. and that, I must say, was the best response of them all.

*MYUNGSOOS POV*
The cars I watched pass outside the window wasnt nearly as distracting as the people sitting across of me. Believe me when I say I tried to ignore the fact that she was happy beside him. I tried to ignore the sound of her laugh. It was just too damn hard.
I caught a glimpse of their reflection in the window and stared at it for a moment. Just then, Hoya looked over to me. I felt my heart jump, but proceeded in pretending I didnt care. Pretended I was not looking at them through the reflection in my window. His eyebrows furrowed as if to say
What the hell are you doing, Kim myungsoo?
" Im not so sure what the hell im doing either", I whispered to myself as he turned away.
"Hm? Whatd you say?", Sunggyu asked, leaning toward me.
"Nothing", I blandly responded, taking a side glance at him then looked back to the window.
I tried to look past the reflection but something in my heart denied me of that and there I was again, watching them. I guess it was my way of keeping an eye on her.
Thats when he rested her head on his shoulder and a small smile crept on her face. I felt myself begin to get up. I felt myself about to lunge at him. But a voice in my head told me to stop.
This was what you wanted. You wanted her to be happy. You wanted her to be with Hoya.
And that was completely true. I had said I wanted her to be with Hoya. If I had to choose someone to watch over her, it was Hoya. I knew he'd take care of her. I even knew itd be hard to watch them like that. I just never knew itd hurt so much.
I slumped back in my seat and sighed, continuing to watch them. He looked down at her sleeping figure exhaled a small laugh, but stopped himself. As if a little laugh would ruin their moment. And I sort of wish it wouldve. I sort of wish she'd wake up, the tiredness in her eyes completely gone, and look out the window. I hoped for something to tear the two apart.
It was then that I realized how bitter I was. That it was exactly this bitterness that wouldve hurt Minji. It was then that I realized that maybe Hoya really was better for her than I was. A lot more than id like to admit.

*MINJIS POV*
As I hopped off the bus, I felt my feet move towards where it always had, but my heart stopped me. I stared at the benches underneath the tree, realizing just how different the circumstances were now. And although I told myself to pretend nothing was wrong, I did not have the strength to sit there within our group of friends and act as if he wasnt there. I refused to face him that way. So, reluctantly, I changed my route. I went straight instead of left, and walked into the school. The usual mass of students had not yet occupied the hallways as it was still too early in the morning. Still, I did not want to be there when it was. So I continued to walk until I reached the library.
I pushed the door open maybe a little too forcefully, seeing as the librarian jumped a bit upon my entrance. I bowed and apoligized and made my way to the section filled with the latest and trendiest novels. I dropped my things on a table and made my way to the books, searching for something to read to pass the time. Maybe ill borrow one if it really catches my eye.
After a while of searching, I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to find none other than the all-too-proud jaehwa.
"Whatre you doing here?", I sneered a bit, turning back to the rack of books.
"Had to pick something up for eomma. Are you okay? Where's your boyfriend?", he asked.
"Im fine. And you dont have to call him that anymore. You know well that we never were dating in the first place", I said, trying my best to cover up the mess of emotions I was going through right now.
"So you knew youre guys act was weak?", he chuckled. I took a side glance at him and pursed my lips as to say I did, but honestly I didnt really know. I just said it to sound more strong.
"You should get those to your mom. Before she gets mad", I suggested, trying not to sound too annoyed. Afterall, I no longer knew where we stood with eachother anymore. It was quite confusing to me, as we were nice to eachother one moment and bothered the next. He nodded and left.
I walked back to the table and set the book i had chosen down, opening it to the first page. I thought i'd be alone for the rest of the morning, but before I could finish the sixth page, he was back.
"What is it this time?", I sighed.
"Just wanted to keep you company. Why are you here alone anyway?".
I looked up at him and knew instantly that something had changed. That cockiness in his voice and eyes were no longer there. His hair wasnt geled either and I wondered wether it was because he ran out of gel or because he simply decided to keep it that way.
"Are you really going to keep me company?", I shyly asked with just a hint of suspicion.
"Look, I know we started off on bad terms, but I only have 6 weeks left here and id rather you not hate me by the time I leave. I promise, no more funny business", he crossed his heart and extended his arm out. I was hesitant at first. Of course it was hard to trust him. Yet, somehow I knew he had changed for the better.
I shook his hand and he smiled. It was probably the most genuine smile he had ever showed off.
"So whats going on? Why are you here alone?", he asked.
"It just happened that way. Lets not talk about it, okay?", I forcefully smiled. He nodded his head then looked down at the book I was reading.
"Oh, you read stuff like that?", his voice full of enthusiasm.
"Well, yeah. Its not bad. Its actually quite int-", I began to defend.
"I didnt say it was bad. I read that book. Its quite sad, the ending. But i didnt know you liked reading", he cut me off.
"Dont tell me how it ends! I want to finish it! And of course I like to read. Its a whole different world".
"Well, it looks like you and I arent so different after all", he smirked. I just laughed and responded,
"I guess we arent".
"Should I read it for you? I dont want to sit here in silence", he said.
"This is the library. Its suppose to be silent".
"No one comes back here anyway. Not even the librarians come here that often. We can talk at a regular volume without being a bother", he shrugged off. "Oh, and did you eat anything this morning?"
"Not really, wae?"
"Here. I brought a few snacks", he said, pulling out a small container of fruits and two muffins.
"Yah, look at you! Breaking rules at a school thats not even yours. Such a troublemaker", I scowled.
"Whats the point of rules if they arent broken sometimes?"
"Uh, im pretty sure the point of making rules is for you to follow them", I chuckled.
"Well yeah but...", he trailed off. "Lets just break it anyway", he waved off as pulled the cover off the container. I shook my head in disbelief as he picked up my book and began reading aloud.
and although I was against the idea, I went along with it.

Before the bell rang, we both borrowed the book, planning on reading with eachother in third period. When the bell rang, he walked me to my homeroom. But before he could walk me through the door, I stopped him.
“You should just go help your mom. Ill be fine. Ive walked alone plenty of times”, I assured. I was on good terms with him, but that didnt mean Hoya was. He nodded and patted my head.
“Ill see you at recess? Oh, lets eat lunch together too. Its been lonely for me these past months eating with my mother. And I Have a feeling you’re gonna be a bit lonely too”, he scrunched his nose and smiled. This side of him felt a bit unusual but I knew I would get used to it over time. It was odd yet very reassuring. So I bidded him a farewell and walked into my homeroom, taking a different seat from the usual.
As the students piled in I stared at the board, blocking them out of my view. Trying to block him out of my view. Though, it was a useless effort because once he entered the room, I knew. I didnt have to watch him walk through the door. I could just feel a change in the atmposhpere. It was somewhat like another sense to me now. Like hearing, seeing, and feeling. And that, I realized, was another sad part of the whole situation; his presence will never pass me by. Wether in the classroom or the hallway.
Our homeroom teacher greeted everyone as the bell rang, hoping we all had a great break.
"By the way, great job at the winter benefit, Myungsoo, Hoya and Minji. I really enjoyed your performance", she smiled.
"Kamsamnida", we said in unision. It was the first time I heard his voice since Christmas day. The sound of it was very soothing yet almost heartbreaking. It was then that I realized how badly I longed for the sound of his voice.
"Thats all, class", she said and we did our bow ritual.
When the bell rang, I quickly got up from my seat and meshed with the class of students walking out the door way.
Once I got out, I was greeted by Jaehwa.
"Minji! Ill walk you to your second period. I have to talk to you about this book. What page are we on again?", he asked, opening his book up. I jumped, a bit taken aback by his presence. I looked back at the door and found Hoya standing there. Just then, Myungsoo walked through the door and stopped. His eyes locked with mine. It was quick and subtle but just for a second i caught the slightest flash of concern in the gleam of his eyes. but it quickly disappeared as he pushed pass Hoya and walked away.
"Since when did you two read books together?", Hoya questioned, bringing me back to the scene infront of me. He looked almost as if he'd been betrayed.
"Oppa, ill explain later. I have to get to class", I quickly excused, pulling Jaehwa along.
"Yah! Minji!", he yelled across the hallway. I did not dare turn.

As I approached my first period class room, I flicked Jaehwa's ear.
"Pabo", i frowned.
"Whatd i do?!"
"I told you not to walk me to classes!", I whined, stomping my feet.
"Whats wrong with walking you to class?"
"Uh, welll we sort of have a bad history so the others dont particularly favor you", I sarcastically explained.
"Well its not like we can hide that were friends forever! Unless you dont count me as a friend".
"Youre my friend NOW but that doesnt make you thier friends. They didnt have to find out like that!"
"Okay, fine,sorry! but in my defense, I didnt know he was in your homeroom".
"Its fine, just leave now before Hoya shows up".
"Hes has this period with you too?"
"Yeah. So hurry and go. Ppali! Ppali!", I shooed him away.
"Okay, okay im going. See you in third period then".
"mm. Bye", I waved as i walked into class.
I took my seat where I always did and settled myself in. Not too long after, Hoya ran in, his breath heavy.
"Yah", he kneeled over, taking a couple of breaths. "I was calling you. Did you not hear me?"
"nope", i responded, not making eye contact.
"Yah!", he straightened himself out, pointing an accussing finger at me. Before he could continue the teacher walked in, signaling him to take his seat.
"Liar", he whispered as he sat beside me, eyes facing foreward.
The teacher taught the whole lesson, giving no time for Hoya to ask questions. When the bell rang, I quickly said goodbye and made my way to my second period before he could catch me.

 

As the recess bell rang, I made my way to my third period class to meet with up with Jaehwa. It had only been a couple hours since our rivalry turned into friendship, but I felt strangely close to him already. Upon entrance, Jaehwa was already about to leave.
"I was just about to go meet you", he smiled.
"Its okay. The hallways are so crowded, its easier if we just stayed here".
And thats what we did. We stayed in and read until the bell rang. We even read while the students piled in. Not until the teacher stood infront of the class did we take our eyes off our books. Even then, our books remained open.


"Noona!", Sungjong whined as I walked over to his desk.
"Be quiet! I could get in trouble for talking to you!", I warned.
"Where were you at recess? We didnt even see you in the morning! Are you okay?"
"Yeah, im fine", I laughed at his act. "Things just happened that way".
"By the way Noona", he leaned in. "Whats going on with that guy? Hes being so nice to you".
"Jaehwa? We made a truce. He has six weeks left here and i dont think hed want to spend them fighting with us".
"but noona! hes the enemy".
"Just trust me on this one Sungjong. Oh, and you wont tell the members right?"
He stared at me blankly as to refuse.
"Jebal. Do this one favor for Noona", I pouted.
"Fine", he sighed in defeat. "but you need to tell them sooner or later".
"Thanks sungjonggie! Noona owes you big time", I smiled as I walked away.

 


"I really want something sweet", I pouted and placed my book down. It was lunch and me and Jaehwa had a lot of time to kill.
"Mm, want to get bubble tea? Theres a place not too far from here", he suggested. I nodded almost immediately. He smiled at me and extended his arm out to pull me up from my seated position.
"Kaja!"


We walked in silence, the sound of crunching snow beneath our feet filling the air around us.
"Why are you with me? Shouldnt you be with your other friends? You know, the ones that dont like me?", he laughed.
"I dont know".
"How do you not know?"
"I just dont. Really. Im not going to go into detail, but I just cant stay there anymore. Theres nothing wrong with anyone, its just something changed". I dont know what it was, but it felt okay to open up to him. Even if it was just a little bit of what I was hiding.
"Did something happen?"
"Not necesarilly. Its more on the lines to say that nothing happened. Thats why its sad".
"What? That doesnt make sense".
"i dont really want to talk about it", I smiled, in the effort to cover the pain.
"alright", he said as he looked up at me. "I understand".



"We're almost there", he said as we took a step onto a walkway. On the side, a bunch of different stores and food places were lined. Among them was the pizza shop I used to go to with the others. I stopped in my tracks, unsure of how I felt.
"Whats wrong?", he asked.
"huh? Oh, nothing", I said as I began walking again. He continued on, walking without any sign of hesitation. I, on the other hand, trudged slowly behind.
We came closer. and closer. and closer to the pizza shop. and then we stopped.
The bubble tea cafe was dangerously close to the pizza shop with only one other store in between them. Jaehwa opened the door, allowing me to enter first but i shook my head.
"You go in first. Im gonna go check something".
"You sure? Ill go with you if you want me too".
"No its fine. Go inside". He nodded and went inside as I walked toward the pizza shop.
It only took a couple seconds until I stood infront of the glass windows. I took a peek inside to discover they had not arrived yet. But then again, maybe they werent going to come at all. I looked around at the shop. It was pretty much empty if you didnt count the workers. The mass of customers always came on weekends. That was another reason why we never stopped coming.
I stared at the table we always sat on. It had only been two weeks since we last occupied it but why did it look so foreign? Why did it feel decades away?
I took a glance at the menu taped on the window and noted a new item listed. Some new pizza and pasta combo.
With one final sigh, i walked away from the window.

I joined Jaehwa in the bubble tea shop. Contrary to the pizza shop, it was quite busy here. The bell on the door jingled almost every five minutes with customers rolling in.
"What do you want?", Jaehwa asked upon my arrival. "My treat", he smiled proudly.
"Chincha?"
"mhm, on one condition though".
I stared at him, waiting for him to continue.
"You have to call me Oppa from now on".
"Oppa!", I immediately exclaimed.
"Good", he laughed. "I like that sound. I really really like that sound. Now what do you want?"
"Hm, choco bubble tea? And something sweet to eat!"
"Aigoo, what luxurious taste", he playfully scowled. I smiled widely as we walked away to order.


He came back with two choco bubble teas and a waffle topped with strawberries.
"We're sharing this waffle, so dont get too stingy", he smiled.

As we sipped at our tea and chomped on our waffle, we chatted about things we liked. It turns out, there really wasnt much differences between us. Infact, we both watched the same shows as well as read the same books. Running man was probably the topic we discussed the longest. It was strange to think I had almost completely despised him at one point.

As the bell on the door jingled for maybe the thousandth time, I had assumed that it was another customer. I had assumed it was no one special, probably someone id never even seen before. but suddenly, a figure stood beside our table, tapping his foot.
I silently cursed my luck, staring at the figure's shoe already knowing who it was.
"I think youve got some explaining to do".


*HOYAS POV*
"Hyung youre a true idiot", I laughed as we walked toward the pizza shop. A couple infront of us took a turn into a different shop and for some reason, my eyes followed. As I took a glance into the glass window, I caught a glimpse of one familiar face.
"You guys go ahead, I have to go check something", I said and without question, they walked into the pizza shop. I stood outside for a bit and stared in. Thats when I realized he was with Minji.
Something about him was different and it was much more than his physical appearance, which I must admit had changed drastically.
His hair wasnt geled and he dressed more moderately; a sweater and jeans with a black coat on. His smile seemed to radiate more than it used too. But then again, ive only seen him smirk.
But something about him seemed to shine more. As if he had discovered a new and profound meaning to life. Okay, maybe thats a bit exxagerated, but it was somewhere along those lines.
I opened the door and made way to their table a bit angry and a bit betrayed. Before I could reach their table, I could already hear their conversation. It wasn't too difficult to identify Minji's laugh. I stopped again, studying the two.
She was enjoying herself. Her smile was radiating and there was no such sign she gave that said she was even a bit uncomfortable. Infact, id go as far as to say the bad history had not existed between the two. And I did not like it. Not one bit.
I continued my stride, a little more angrier than i was before. I stopped once I reached their table.
"I think you have some explaining to do".

 

A/N: Sorry I dont update very often. and sorry that my writings getting worse! Ive just been having trouble writing lately. I just want to thank my loyal subscribers. I dont have much, but just to know theres actually people reading my writing makes me really happy. Just to let you guys know, im almost done with this fanfiction. I think theres only a ouple chapters left. oh,  and  Id really appreciate feedback! I hope to improve my writing. and if anyone wants to request a new fanfiction, ill do my best to take requests. I cant promise itll be great but ill try my best! I want to write more but im not sure what to write next. Anyhow, thank you guys and love you all!