A Change In Her Heart

Hello, Goodybye, and Everything in Between
 *MYUNGSOOS POV*
    Walking through the school hallway, hand in hand, the spark just wasn't there anymore.
  Or maybe it was never there at all.
  Nonetheless, something was different. It didn't feel as magical as it used to. 
  After spending the day with Minji the other day, something seemed off. The spark just didn't feel as strong as it once was.
   We walked out to the bench where we all usually hung out. I took a seat next to her.
  "Jagi, im tired. Can I take a nap?", I sweetly asked. She smiled back and nodded. 
  I laid my head and rested it on her thigh, just like I did with Minji; but something didn't feel right. 
  It didn't feel as warm as I expected. Neither did it feel as comfortable as I imagined. It must be because Minji has a lot of muscle in her legs, right? She's a soccer player after all.
  I was really trying hard to get comfortable, but nothing worked. After a few minutes, I gave up and stood up. 
  "Haeun-ah, let's go on a date today.", I cooed. She giggled and agreed.
  "I have to study though.", she pouted after realizing her schedule.
  "Ah, Kure? Let's just go to your house then.", I compromised.
  Okay, I admit, I was taking drastic measures. But i'm desperate. Nothing was making sense anymore. Somehow, it seemed the spark had died down. But one question had bothered me most.
  Why did I have that feeling with Minji?
 
  *NARRATORS POV*
  Sitting on the side, Minji was trying hard to focus on the assignment in front of her. It was due at the end of the day and she had rarely started.  She repeated the question in her head multiple times but couldn't seem to process what it was asking. How could she focus on homework when she couldn't detach her focus from the scene across of her.
  "Haeun-ah, let's go on a date today.", She heard Myungsoo coo.
  She'd be lying if she said it didn't bother her at all. Of course, she had long accepted the fact his heart belonged to someone else; but it didn't make it any less painful.
  As for all the other members, they cringed at the sound. The one member with the coldest expression was speaking in such a warm tone; how unusual. 
  Hoya on the other hand, cringed but had other things on his mind. His gaze fell upon Minji. He knew she could hear it.
  With her head down and her eyes on her paper, she would've looked like she was working at first glance; but as He looked closely, he could tell that wasn't that case.
  Her lips were moving, lisping the question over and over and her hand moved the pencil across the paper without even writing anything.
  It was a common tactic she did when she couldn't focus on her work. Her mind was elsewhere. 
  Hoya already knew what was on her mind. He walked to where she sat and plumped himself down. 
  "What's that?", he asked, looking over her shoulder to look at her paper.
  "Science.", she replied. She was still stuck on the third question. 
  "I did it already. Want to copy?", he nudged her.
  "Ah, its fine. I can do it.", she assured. Hoya shrugged but didn't leave his position; he knew she was going to change her mind.
  After she read the question over a few more times, she decided that she really couldn't remember.
  "Mm, actually, can I-". Hoya pulled out his worksheet without letting her finish. 
  "Here.", he chuckled. 
  "Thank you, Oppa.", she slightly bowed. As she reached for the paper he pulled it away from her.
  "Wae?", she whined. 
  "Buy me lunch this afternoon.", he bargained.
  "Aish, I thought men don't make the women pay?", she scowled.
  "Mm, that's true, but this is different. This is a trade".  
  "Fine, fine, fine.", she agreed.
  "Alright, it's a date", he stood from the bench and set his paper down. Proud, he walked away confidently. It was a cheesy move, but it worked didn't it? Besides, it'll still keep her mind off of Myungsoo.
  Minji sat on the bench for a second, processing the words that just left his mouth.
  Date?
  Minji shook her head. He didn't mean it that way, there's no way. 
  Minji turned her attention back to her paper and hurriedly copied the answers, being very careful with her wording; she didn't want to be caught for copying.  
   
  Now in sixth period, they all sat on the floor waiting for our next assignment.
  "Okay class, today will be another love story scenerio.", everyone groaned. 
  "Yah, love stories are basic. Thats what most movies are based on!", he scolded. 
  "Today we'll be doing the drama 'you're beautiful'. Everyone's watched it right? Park shin hye? Alright.", he clapped his hands together. 
  "The scene will be when Jeremy finds out that Go Mi Nam likes Taekyung. He's heartbroken and turns to his magic bus.", he pointed his finger through the class. "This is a test for the boys."
  Beside Minji, all the Infinite boys tensed afraid of doing a poor job. 
  "Since we have more boys than girls, we need to have taekyung and shin woo included inside too. They don't need to do a whole scene, they just need to at least say a few lines", he paused. "So improvise ill allow a small made up scene, if anything" he paused. "Alright, separate into groups of four and begin".
  All of the infinite members looked at eachother; only three of them could be in a group with Minji.
  "It's a automatic for me. Im her bestfriend", Myungsoo smirked, stood from his seat, and plopped next to Minji.
  No one argued. 
  "We need to determine the last two".
  "How about Minji throws something behind her back and who ever catches it will be in her group?", Woohyun suggested.
  "Isn't that what brides do at weddings?", Sungjong questioned.
  "So, it seems fun. And its random so it'll be fair".
  All the members seemed to agree.
  Minji picked up two flowers from the props and took her position. She closed her eyes and threw it behind her.
  "Ahh", Minji could hear all the boys complain. She turned around to see who'd be her next member and found the flower in Hoya's hand. 
  She was quite content with this member. He walked up to her and handed her back the flower and bowed slightly to each other, chuckling.
  She put that flower in her back pocket and threw the next one.
  "Ah, Mwo-ya!", she could hear the members. She turned around, a little frightened on who her last member would be- Loser Sunggyu.
  She chuckled and shook her head. He wasn't bad, he was just very clumsy.
  Now with her group set, the other three settled down with another girl in their class and began practicing.
  "well, Mi nam is already set", Minji laid her hand on her chest. "So we need to figure out your parts", she extended her arms out towards her group members.
  "Can I be Shin woo? His character is like, right in the middle", Sunggyu asked. No one saw any reason to argue, so they decided he'd be Shin woo. 
  Now the hard choice had to be made; who'd be Taekyung and who'd be Jeremy?
  Who'd be the love interest and who'd be only the friend?
  Of course, this was only acting. But the fire in the boys' hearts were pass just the scene. 
 "Just play Kai-Bai-Po", Minji shrugged. The boys nonchalantly nodded. They got into position, with a lax position but a very serious mind set.
  "Kai-bai-Po!", they exclaimed in unison.
  "Aish", Myungsoo moved from his position and ruffled his hair. 
  Hoya had cut his paper with a scissors, which meant he'd be Taekyung.
  It shouldn't have matter. It was only a scene after all. Just lines they'd recite. But somehow, the heartache felt almost real. 
 
  They were the last group to go up. They had finished preparing and was ready to do their skit. 
  In this scene they made up, Shinwoo over hears Taekyung and Minams confession. Heartbroken, he roams the streets. He runs into Jeremy, who was rushing back to see Mi Nam and excited to confess through a song. He tells Jeremy the truth. 
  "Mi nam.. She likes Taekyung", Sunggyu(as shinwoo) said bitterly. Myungsoo rushes back only to find Hoya and Minji hugging. 
  Although Myungsoo is fully aware this was pure acting and nothing else, it gave him an unsettling feeling. 
  Making eye contact, Myungsoo walks away with Min ji right behind him.
  He enters the Magic bus, made up of a bunch of chairs, and Minji boards right after, opening the biggest scene.
  
  "When I thought you were a guy, I was okay with it. When I found out you were a girl, I was okay with it. But if you like him, I can’t be okay with it. Why? Why wasn’t it me? I told you about my treasure bus, and I let you close to Jolie and I was going to sing a song only for you. Why don’t you like me?", Myungsoo recited. Somehow, the emotions set in and tears began streaming down his face. Not even he himself knew he was crying.
  The class was shocked; he had been the only one to produce real tears. 
  "Cut!", the teacher yelled and clapped really loudly.
  "We still didn't finish the scene", Minji said.
  "It's okay, that was a good performance. We don't have time for the rest anyway", he chuckled. 
  Minji nodded and walked over to Myungsoo who was wiping his tears away.
  "Oppa, that was daebak~", she held her thumb up and laughed. She patted and rubbed his back.
  "I don't even know where those tears came from", he laughed at himself, sniffling and wiping his tears.
  "That was good, Oppa. The fact that you got so in touch with your character is impressive alone", she assured.
  He nodded. A little embarrassed about crying, he covered his face with both hands. 
  "Are you embarrassed?", Minji asked laughing.
  "Ani", he removed his hand. "My eyes just feel puffy", he chuckled a little sadly.
  "Here", she handed him a towel, "cool off", she finished and walked away to join the members. They all stood from their seats.
  "Let him calm down for a second", Minji stopped them.
  Without argument, they sat back down.
  Watching her across the room, Myungsoo's heart ached a bit. Somehow, he felt a familiarity towards the role. Why did it hurt so much to see her hugging Hoya? Why did the pain seem so real? 
  Shaking his head, he decided he didn't want to think about it. He walked over to infinite and they talked until the end of the period. 
 
  *HOYA'S POV*
  I intensely stared at the clock's ticking hands. Every second seemed to be going by slower than the last. My leg shook in excitement and my fingers tapped my desk in anxiousness. 
  Two minutes left.
  The teacher's lesson sounded more like a hum. My thoughts were loud in  my mind.
  What are we going to do today?
  Where are we going to go?
  Whatever we do, I'm set on seeing her smile the whole day. No frowning. 
  I closed my eyes for a moment, picturing her laughing and smiling. 
  "Lee Howon", the teacher scolded.
  "Hm?"
  "Wh-", the bell rang before the teacher could finish. I jumped from my seat and dashed out the door. Swiftly, I walked through the hallways, dodging other student's bodies. I searched for her. 
  I found her by her locker, putting away her textbooks.
  I smiled and jogged to where she was.
  "Hey", I greeted. 
  "Hey", she greeted back, taking a glance at me and looked back to her locker. She rummaged through her locker for a few more seconds then closed it.
  "Where to?", she asked. 
  "Mmm, where do you want to go?", I answered.
  We began walking through the hallways, whispers being heard from the people around us.
  News got around about us dating, but no one believed it. Not because I was a star, but because they didn't have confirmation. That was the good thing about this school; no one believed rumors until they're proven. I was really surprised that Jaehwa hasn't said anything yet though. 
  "Oppa, i'm treating you. You have to choose", she chuckled. 
  "Mm. How about black bean noodles?", I suggested. 
  She nodded her head.
  "Okay. Black bean noodles it is", she smiled.
  We walked out of the school and made our way to the parking lot. I brought my car today.
  "Ladies first", I opened the door for her. 
  "Why, thank you", she laughed. 
   I closed her door behind her and got into my seat.
  As I started the car, I heard her phone ring. She checked her message.
  "Who is it?", I asked as I backed out of the parking space.
  "Myungsoo", she replied as her fingers swiftly moved across her phone screen.
  "Oh", I paused, turning into the street. "What'd he say?"
  "He's just asking where I am. I told him I owe you lunch, so we're going out for a bit". She put her phone away. 
  
   I pulled into the empty parking space that sat right in front of the restaurant. I put it into park.
  "Kaja", i began stepping out of the car. We exited the car at the same time. 
  The smell of food blew through the air, causing my mouth to water. I guess Minji was pretty hungry too because I heard her stomach growl.
  Her eyes widened and looked away from me, avoiding eye contact. I couldn't help but laugh.
  "Lets go inside", I opened the door. We were sat down at a table almost as soon as we came in.
  "What would you like?", the waitress asked while looking down at her notepad. 
  "Two bowls of black bean noodles"
   "Anything to drink?", she asked, scribbling down our order.
  "Uh, we'll just have waters", I answered, looking over to Minji making sure she agreed.
  "Alright, your order-", the waitress looked up. Her eyes widened and shaped a tiny 'o'.
  "O-omo, omo, omo. You're Hoya!", she jumped excitedly. 
  "Uh", I didn't know how to respond. Should I deny it? 
  "No. You've got me mistaken. But many people think I look like him, though", I chuckled. "Am I that handsome?", I winked.The waitress blushed and walked away. 
  "Tch. Liar", Minji softly teased.
  "Okay, would you rather me be signing autographs than sit here peacefully and eat with you?"
  She scowled at me and I responded with a laugh. 
  
  Our food came and we began eating. Before I could finish breaking my chopsticks apart, she was already starting to eat. I slowly broke my chopsticks and set it's position in my hands, never taking my eyes off of her.
  She was eating pretty fast. She obviously didn't care about eating small portions. Cute.
  I stuck my chopsticks into my noodles but never lifting it to my mouth; I was fixated on watching her. 
   Her eyes looked up at me. She dropped her chopsticks and started coughing.
  "Aigoo", I reached over and patted her back, "you eat very well", I chuckled. 
  "Shutup", she responded, wiping .
  "Im serious", I said, taking my first bite. "Most girls are too picky on the way they look", I finished, chewing my food.
 
  We finished our meal, conversing while doing so. 
   After she paid, we stood outside of the restaurant, deciding what to do next.
  "Should we just go home?", she suggested.
  "No way, that was too short. We don't have school anyway".
  "Then what should we do?"
  I scanned the area. Children's laughter caught my attention and I whipped my head around, looking to where it came from. 
  Across the street was a huge park. You could walk through it for hours. 
  "There", I pointed. 
  "Mm. Okay", she started walking across the street. 
  "Yah! Wait!", I caught up to her. 
  Reaching the end of the cross walk, I linked my arm with hers. She didn't seem to mind, seeing that she didn't protest. Stopping at a playground, we watched the kids as they climbed, jumped, and ran around the playground. 
  Peacefully standing there with our arms linked together, everything felt alright. For a moment, I felt normal. For a moment, everything seemed to be they way I wanted it to be. We were smiling. We were enjoying our time. We were together. I wished badly for time to stop at this moment. 
  "Omo, is that Hoya?!!", I heard girls scream. I slightly turned my head to find a big group of girls in their uniforms.
  "Just keep walking", I whispered into Minji's ear. We took steady steps, trying to blend in.
  "It is!", the girls screamed. I heard their footsteps pick up pace. 
  "Run, now", I slid my hand down, grabbing her hand. 
  Taking every twist and turn, our legs were moving fast. Taking a chance to lose them, we ran off the cemented path and ran past the park's limits. 
  We continued to run, still hearing footsteps trudging behind us.
  We reached an abandoned truck. Out of breath, I hopped into the back, pulling Minji in. We laid as flat as possible, trying hard to silence our heavy breaths. The footsteps came closer, making it harder to slow down my heart rate. I shut my eyes, holding on to every ounce of hope I could.
  "Yah, are you sure they came this way?", a girl asked.
  "Who was that girl he was running with, anyway? Is she his girlfriend?", another voice came. Upon hearing this, my heart skipped a beat as I realized i'd just ran hand in hand with her. It's very cliché, but i've always wanted to experience something like that. 
  "Aish, let's just go back. We're pretty far out already", their footsteps drew out further until it couldn't be heard.
  I let out a huge sigh and so did the figure beside me. 
  We both sat up, recollecting ourselves.
   She chuckled. "I'm never going out with you or any of the infinite members again!" She paused "unless you're wearing a really good disguise".
  "... This truck is kind of creepy", I opened the door. We both hopped out. 
  "Let's go back", I took a step and felt a hand grab my arm.
  "Not yet, they just left. We might run in to them", she stated.
  I turned back to face her, realizing she was right. 
  "So we're just going to stand here and wait then?"
  She began walking away, farther into the grass field. 
  "Wait, where are you going?", I chased after her. Finally, she stopped a few feet away from the truck. In front of us sat a pair of swings. They were a bit old, but not enough for it to be useless. 
  "I saw this from the truck. I just wanted to swing", she shrugged. I nodded, taking a seat first. She came right after, joining me.
 
  *MINJIS POV*
  The field around us was pure nature, despite the small amount of trash found here and there. It was clear this field hadn't been managed for years; the grass hadn't been cut in a while, and there was no sign of human contact. But despite it's flaws, the setting was nothing less than beautiful.
  We swung in silence for a long while, soaking in the peace and sunlight. Suddenly, Hoya for up from his swing and went behind me.
  Without a word, he began pushing me. It was a small gesture, but it still touched my heart. 
  "You don't have to push me. Go back to swinging", I laughed.  
  "I know. I want to, though", he finalized. 
  I let him push me.
  "Mian. I should've been more careful in a public area", he apologized. 
  "Ani- it was fun"
  "Really?"
  "Really".
  With that, we remained silent and watched the sun set.
 
  Now dark, we were still seated on the swing set, looking up at the stars. Their shine was more vibrant here. Without city lights to interfere, they looked brighter than any man made light.
  My neck began to cramp and I looked down from the sky for a moment. Massaging my own neck, I caught Hoya's attention.
  "You okay?"
  "Yeah, my neck hurts a bit, thats all".
  "Want to go back? Its dark, anyway".
  "No. Not yet. I want to stay a bit longer".
  "Mm, follow me", he stood from his seat and jogged ahead.
  "Yah, I said I didn't want to go yet!", I chased after him. 
  He stopped at the truck, and climbed onto the roof. He extended out his arm and helped me up.
  Now on a flat surface, it was much easier to look at the stars. The only thing in my view was the night sky and the tops of tall trees. 
  Trying to see as far as Possible, I could almost see the roundness of the earth. 
  This sight was beautiful. Peaceful. There was nothing about this moment that i'd change; not even the person I was with. 
  A little curious as to what he was thinking, I glanced over to my side. His eyes were closed. His breath was slow. He was sleeping. 
  I checked my phone at this moment, finding a list of missed calls from my mother and Myungsoo. 
  Suddenly, my phone began ringing again; Myungsoo.
  "Yeobseyo?", I answered.
  "Yah! Kim Minji!", his voice exploded. I flinched but quickly regained my composure. 
  "What!", I yelled back softly, trying not to wake up Hoya. 
  "Where the hell are you? You're mom is worried! Im worried!", he screamed.
  "I know i know, I forgot to call and I lost track of time", she glanced over to Hoya, who was now getting up. She felt a bit sorry for waking him. She actually liked the way he looked as he slept.
  "Are you with someone?", he asked.
  "Hoya Oppa"
  He paused for a moment. "Oh. Well come home already!", his voice sounded a bit weaker.
  "Alright. Can you let my mom know i'm on my way home now?"
  "Alright. I'll talk to you later, Minji. And get home safely", he sighed. "Goodnight".
"Goodnight".
  Our conversation ended there. I turned back to the truck, where Hoya was now jumping off.
  "Mian. I fell asleep", he laughed, rubbing his eyes. 
  "Aniya, today was tiring. Stop apologizing for everything".
  "I do that? Mian", he laughed, teasing. I shook my head.
  "Do you have to be home now?"
  "Yeah"
  "Okay. We have to find the pathway first", he began walking ahead. 
  Since it was pretty dark, we used our phones as lights. 
  
  Haven't yet found the path, Hoya seemed agitated.
  "Aish, I really hate this", he ruffled his hair. 
  "Wae? Are you scared?", I teased.
  "Scared of what? I'm not scare. I took taekwando!", he countered. I nodded, still not convinced. Finding the path way after forty minutes of searching, we made our way back. The lights in the park glowed. We seemed to be the only two there at this time, making our surroundings peaceful.
  This feeling seemed to come often. I cherish it much more nowadays. 
  Now in the parking lot, We made our way to the car. A cat ran across of us, causing Hoya to jump.
  "Aish", he yelled in frustration. I couldn't help but laugh.
 
   Now in front of my home, Hoya stopped his car.
  "Thanks for lunch", he thanked. 
  "No problem. You always do things for me", I shrugged. "I had fun today", I smiled. 
  "Me too", he smiled back.
  "Goodnight, Oppa", I finished, waving goodbye and closing the door. Before I turned to walk away, he rolled down his window. 
  "Sweet dreams"
  "Sweet dreams", I chuckled, responding back.
  I walked into my home, changed and jumped into bed. I was too exhausted to shower. I'll just shower in the morning.
 
  *NARRATORS POV*
  Both laid in their separate beds in their separate homes. Despite having different minds, they were both thinking of the same thing; their day's events. 
  It brought a smile to both of their faces. 
  Minji couldn't get how peaceful he looked when he slept out of her head. That day, something felt different. She didn't want it to come to an end. She didn't want to leave.
  Hoya felt the same way, playing over and over again, the scene with their hands interlocked. 
  Rolling over, they turned off their lights and closed their eyes, drifting into a world of sleep.
  That day, two hearts had beat;
   Minji's,who's heart had just begun and Hoya's, who's heart always has.