Day before Christmas Eve

Hello, Goodybye, and Everything in Between

*MYUNGSOO'S POV*
        I sat on my bed with my back against the wall and my guitar against my chest. I mindlessly played chords that sounded of a sad tune- much like my own feelings. Flashes of Minji's smile played over and over again in my mind. It made my heart flutter and break at the same time. That smile- was it always real? I stopped playing for a moment, laying my hand against the strings, and thought back to when Haeun came into my life.
    Was Minji smiling because she was happy? No. It couldn't have been. because there was something different about her smile then. If I tried hard enough, I could clearly catagorize her smiles. There were two. She would have a little wrinkle in the middle of her nose- that was when she was truly happy; that was when it was most natural. Then there was the one that caused her upper lip to twitch a bit- twitch because it was strained- posed. Like when she was posing for a picture. It was beautiful but nothing like her natural smile. It was like comparing a painting to the real thing; it was like comparing a summary to the book; it was like comparing the broadcasted show to the concert- it showcased the main points but never quite got into detail. And that is simply because nothing can ever really duplicate the authenticy of the original. Only in that moment it happens will it be that significant. and the fact that I couldnt recognize that on sight saddened me. 
    I opened my eyes again and began playing random chords. Again, it was Minji's smile that I invisioned. Suddenly, I stopped strumming, put my guitar to the side and hopped off my bed. I had to find it. It was somewhere in here, I knew it. I ran toward my underwear drawer-where I put all my important things. I pulled the drawer out completely to reveal a long box way in the back. 
    Once in a while, i'd take it out- just to reminise. Just to remember how it felt back then. I pulled the top off and there inside sat all the things that I kept to myself. Not even Minji knew about it. Partly because I was embarrassed but mostly because I wanted it to be my own escape. That little box was a different dimension for me. Population: 1. 
    I pulled out the little key chain I had gotten from Minji- it was the first thing she had ever gotten me. Sure, it was worth 25 cents, but that was where it began- our friendship. Next, I pulled out a ripped paper wristband from a school festival I'd gone too. It was the only time ive ever gone to a festival like that, but I remember the smell of cotton candy and the sounds of screaming. At that age, the noise was quite irritable but I had the bubbly, not-to-social Minji to convince me to stay. 
    "If you leave then who am I going to play with?", she pouted. I stayed.
    As I scanned the box, id realized that everything in there was a link to Minji. Was it the fact that she was always with me or had she become such a big part of my life that my happiness had become her? had become the memories and her habits and her smille? 
    My  eyes scanned the bottom of the box and that's when I found it- the book I had learned to play guitar through. There was a music note and a boy waving on the cover and the booklet was full of lullabies. These lullabies were the first songs I learned to play on the guitar and as I learned, Minji would sit beside me and sing along. 
    I closed the box and put it back where I found it then ran to my bed. I opened the book and held the guitar's neck, trying to choose a perfect song. 
    Finally, I chose a song- a child in the island house.
    Slowly, I played the chords, trying to remember how it went. After a few tries, I began singing. If I closed my eyes and listened close enough, I could almost hear Minji's voice singing along. Her angelic and sweet tone always had a way of putting me at ease. Her voice was truly beautiful. I always wondered why she never took an interest in being a singer. When I opened my eyes i could see the little Minji beside me, singing along. Her hair up in a pony tail and her head bobbing side to side- i always thought she was cutest when singing. When I strummed the last chord, she disappeared, along with her voice.
    Only then did I realize I was smiling. I put my head back agaisnst the wall. This song, along with everything else in the box, was yet another reminder of Minji. A memory I will never forget. Partly because I couldnt and mostly because didnt want to.

*MIINJIS POV*
    With Christmas Eve tomorrow and Christmas Day after that, my mind was all over the place. I had gifts to drop off and gifts to finish wrapping. I tied my hair up in a bun and sat down in my living room, finishing off the final presents. Finally, I tied on the final bow, and laid against my couch. My phone began to ring and without looking at the caller ID, I answered it. 
    "Yeobsayo?", I answered, hugging my phone between my ear and shoulder as I moved the presents from underneath my tree.
    "What are you doing today? The members left to play without me again", he pouted. I recognized his voice without any struggle. 
    "Myungsoo Oppa! Im sorry but i'm kind of busy. I have all these presents I didn't give out yet."
    "I thought you said you finished buying gifts".
    "I did finish buying. But delivering and buying is two different things, Oppa", I chuckled "but i dont know how im going to deliver everything by the end of tomorrow? Aw ottoke", I whined kicking my legs out. I clucked my tongue and tried to think. 
    "Im not busy. I can drive you to where ever you need to go", he said. I could hear him getting off of his bed. i heard the ruffling sound of his shirt and assumed he was changing. 
    "I thought you didnt have your driver's license".
    "I dont. but I have my permit. You let Hoya drive you around".
    I took a look at the pile of gifts I needed to deliver and sighed. 
    "Fine. But you can't complain about how much time it'll take. I have a lot of presents to deliver".
    "Arasso, arasso. I'll be there in a couple minutes" he said, hanging up the phone. 
    I ran to my bedroom and changed. for a moment, I just stood infront of the mirror and sort of went back to the night before. When Hoya had confessed. Could I possibly come to completely love him? Perhaps. Maybe I could get over Myungsoo. Maybe I could forget the love I had for him for all the years. Maybe. But then again, maybe I never will. I brushed my hair back with this final thought and ran down the stairs. 
    When I hopped of the last step, I discovered a figure sitting by the Christmas tree and screamed. He jumped back in shock and turned towards me. He rested his hand against his chest. 
    "Aish, chincha. You scared me!"
    "I scared you? You came into my house without even asking me! I didnt even know you were inside! I should be the one say thing".
    "Well maybe"  he said as he picked up half of the pile of gifts I needed to deliver, "you shouldn't leave your door unlocked. Be thankful it was only me and no one dangerous. And you need to answer your phone!"  he lifted his knee to balance the presents and set it back down. "I waited outside in the cold for a while"  he scowled.
    "You shouldve just stayed in your car then" I countered, sticking my tongue out. He chuckled and walked towards the door. 
    "Get the rest of the presents", he said as he walked out. I picked up the rest and followed behind. 
    He was right. it was cold outside. Snow covered the ground and was slowly seeping into my leggings. I started speed walking towards his car trying to get into warmth. We put the presents inside the back seat and took our seats. 
    "Where to?"
    and from there, we drove. First off my list were my relatives. These were the somewhat awkward encounter where they asked me how I was doing and how school was. Id tell them I was good and school was fine and theyd ask 
    "how old are you again?" and i would reply with my age and theyd smile and say
    "You grew up too fast".
    Ocassionally theyd ask if the boy I was with was my boyfriend and id blush and say "aniyo. ive known him since I was kid. hes a friend". Other cases, theyd recognize Myungsoo and we would end up staying an extra thirty minutes discussing him and his career.

    When we were done with my relatives, Myungsoo hopped into the drivers seat for maybe the hundredth time and sighed. 
    "How much more to go? Im hungry".
    "Five. Are you complaining right now?", I asked.
    "Ani", he said confidently. "Im just hungry", he softly whispered to himself and pouted and I laughed. 


    We reached Haewon's place. As Myungsoo slowed down in the front, I stared at her door. I havent talked to her since my surgery. Was she doing well? Was she angry with me? If I had to be completely honest with  myself, I wasnt ready to face her. I wasnt ready to see her and be reminded about my broken dream. but it had to be done sooner or later. so i got out of the passenger seat and made my way to her front door. 
    I rang the door bell, the loud chime came and faded away within seconds. 
    "Ill get it!", I heard Haewon's voice, muffled by the distance and walls between us. Not too long after, the sound of the door unlocking brought me back to my senses. She pulled open the door. Her earphones were in and her hair was up- she had just come back from her daily run. 
    "Hel-", she stopped short as she looked up too me. I slightly smiled at her. She pulled out her ear phones and just stared.
    "Annyoung,Haewon".

    We sat on the front step of her porch, looking out towards the street. Myungsoo sat patiently in the car, staring back, probably wondering what was possibly happening.
    "Why didnt you call me back?"
    "I dont know. I was scared".
    "Scared of what?"
    "I was losing it, Haewon", I sighed, "Nothing was going right for me. i know I should never had held that against you but its just- I couldnt look at you without being reminded of what id lost".
    "Well. I can understand that. Its just, I sat there in bed wondering what the hell I couldve possibly done wrong. I cried and was there for you during your surgery. I was worried. We were closer than ever and all of a sudden- nothing".
    "I know, and im sorry". Silence. "Here" I hand her her present, "call me sometime okay? I know youre still mad. but just- just call me whenever you can come around to forgiving me. and dont you miss Woohyun?", I asked with a bit of humor in my voice. Then, for the first time through the whole conversation, she laughed and she smiled. She looked down at her hands and said, 
    "Of ccouse I do". Then I nodded and waved and she waved back and I exited through the gate and hopped into the car.
    "What happen? You took so long, I almost fell asleep!" Myungsoo said as he started the ignition.
 "Just. Catching up" I said as we drove off. 

 

    We pulled into the empty parking lot, snow covering most of the parking spaces. I stared at the space infront of me remembering what it was like when I first came to Keopi Cafe. The air was warmer then.
    "What are we doing here? Isnt this the place we went to get coffee last week before the benefit? Myungsoo questioned. Without answering him, I picked up the presesnts that sat by my feet and walked into the cafe. 
    "Unnie!", I called upon my arrival.
    "Omo omo omo, Minji! are you coming to work today? I miss talking to you" Eunkyung came and hugged me. 
    "Ani. I just came to drop this off"  I chuckled as I handed her the presents. She pouted but ran into the back to put the presents away and brought me coffee. 
    "Its cold out, need a ride home?"
    "Its fine. I have a ride". The bell chimes above the door rang and as if on queue, Myungsoo walked in. 
    "Yah! How could you leave me in the car again? Its so cold i thought my fingers were going to break off!", Myungsoo scowled as he blew on his hands while rubbing them.
    Eunkyung raised her eyebrow, waiting for an explanation. Or maybe she was waiting for an introduction.
    "Uh, Mianhe Oppa. I was just catching up with my friend. This is is Eunkyung".
    Eunkyung smiled and stuck out her hand.
     "Im My-"
    "I know who you are", Eunkyung cut him off. He sheepishly smiled.
    "Ill get you a cup of coffee", she walked away.
    Myungsoo took a seat and looked up at me. I took my seat beside him. 
    "Didnt we come here last time? How do you know her?
    I bit my lip, trying to find a way around it. He continued to stare at me, waiting for an answer. His eyes looked innocent. 
      "Mm", I started. "I didnt want to tell you guys this but i kind of work here", i looked down at my hands. 
      "Work? Why would you need a job?", he chuckled. 
      "Pass time. Make my own money, I guess".
      "Well why was it a secret then?"
      "I dont know. It was my escape, kind of. Somewhere where my reputation didnt follow me. I dont know" i shook my head. He chuckled and ruffled my hair. 
      "Eh it doesnt matter. But if you need money, you know oppa would buy you anything" he proudly stated. 
      "Anything?"
      He nodded.
      "A new phone".
      He froze and playfully scowled at me.
      "Okay, when I said anything I meant anything I could afford" he looked down at his hands. I laughed and we didnt say anything for a moment. Then, he broke the silence and said, "My hands are still cold", puffing his cheeks out.
     "What am I suppose to do about it?", I playfully teased. He scrunched his nose and grabbed my hand. 
      "Warm them up. Blow on them. Please~?" He batted his eyes at me. I laughed and blew on his hands. I looked back at him and he was smiling. That beautiful smile he alway had. How could a man be so blessed with talents and looks? 
      Without a word, he pulled his hand away from mine and scooted his chair closer. He laid his head on my shoulder and whispered 
      "You're so warm", snuggling deeper into my neck. His breathing was slow and calm, and  warm against my neck. For a moment, I closed my eyes and enjoyed the comfort. He smelt like he always did- of roses. I opened my eyes slowly, looking down at the person laying on my shoulder and his eyes met mine. 
      I stopped breathing. I didnt dare to breath. I was afraid that a breath could break this moment. If it was true that this moment's end was a breath away, I could hold my breath forever. 
      But then a small clatter came from the table and Myungsoo sat up. I began breathing again, my breaths coming back in fast intervals. 
      "Sorry, I didnt mean to interrupt. I just brought your coffee", Eunkyung shyly smiled and walked away. 

      Myungsoo took a sip of his coffee as if that moment hadnt happened. and i wondered if that moment had meant anything to him at all, if that moment only existed in my own heart. 
      "Dont tell the members that I work here. Please?", I asked, trying to brush off what had happened. 
      "Wae?"
       "You know how they are. Theyll come here to play and visit. And this is suppose to be my quiet place". 
      He stared at me for a while, tapping his chin as if the choices laid infront of him were too difficult to choose from.
      "Fine, I wont", he leaned foward. I smiled, stuck out my pinky, and without hesitation, he hooked his with mine and stamped on it.
      Something felt nice about it being a secret just between us two. 


    I took the final sip of my coffee while Myungsoo stood, pulling out his wallet. He walked toward the register, pulling out a few bucks when Eunkyung pushed his hand away. 
      "Its fine, its on the house", she winked and laughed. 
       "Chincha?"
       "Mm", she nodded once. 
       Myungsoo looked back at me as he put his wallet back into his pocket, smiling. 
       "Your friend is daebak! Bring her to the next concert. Ill give you guys tickets", he said. 
       "Chincha? Thats more expensive than a cup of coffee", Eunkyung said, her eyes wide.
       "Its to thank you for allowing Minji to work here. And for giving me free coffee", he laughed. 


*MYUNGSOOS POV*
       I pulled out of the parking space as Minji the radio. Exo's Miracle in December echoed through my car and I hummed along. Minji began singing along, her voice easy to differ from the radio's. I looked at the side view mirror to make sure I wasnt backing up into anything, then drove foward. I began singing aloud and looked at Minji who looked at me too. I smiled as I pulled out of the parking lot. Taking a turn, I suddenly lost control of the wheel, the control being taken over by the icy road. I tried stepping on the breaks, only causing the car to turn more. I released the breaks, gripping the wheel infront of me. Beside me, Minji clenched at her seatbelt. The car went over a curb, nearing a tree. I stepped on the breaks again, hoping itd work and thankfully, it did. The car came to an abrupt stop and to save her from hitting the dashboard, I held her back with my right arm. Sadly, I couldnt save myself and my chest hit the driver's wheel. 
      I breathed heavily and looked beside me, feeling panicked. Each breath was painful but I was glad I was still breathing. Minji was breathing hard too and I realized my arm was still across of her torso, and I pulled it away. I unbuckled myself to make it easier to face her and I cupped her face in my hand. 
      "Are you okay? Did you get hurt?"
      She was still breathing hard but she managed to speak.
      "Im fine. I didnt get hurt, thanks to you. What the hell was that, though?", she laughed in disbelief. 
       "Black ice. I lost control of the car".
      "Obviously", she laughed. "But your cars okay though. And were still breathing so, hey, it wasnt that bad", she smiled. I sighed in relief and rested my back against my seat. That was another thing I loved about her. We could be close to death, yet she could find something to smile about. Infact, her smile rarely ever left her face.
      "You sure you okay?"
      "Yeah, im good", she looked at me, smiling again. Probably thankful our accident hadnt ended any worser than it had. But then her smile faded and she leaned towards me, a bit agitated. ", Oppa, you should protect yourself before you protect me! Look at this bruise on your face!", she touched the tip of my eyebrow. I winced at the pain and looked into the mirror. 
      "Ah, its just a bruise Minji. No big deal".
      "It is a big deal! You couldve prevented it! How is your fans going to react".
      "Well I wasnt going to let your head get bashed into the dashboard!"
      "I couldve saved my own head", she scowled. 
      "Yah! Just say thank you!"
      "Fine. Kamsamnida".
      I looked around, checking if any other cars had been around. Luckily, the road wasnt busy. I pulled off of the curb and slowly drove foward, making my way to Minji's neighborhood. 
       "Minji"
      "Mm?"
      "Dont tell my parents or the members about the accident, okay? Id be in so much trouble if they found out".
      She clucked her tongue, as if she was actually thinking otherwise. 
      "Fine. I wont"
      "Pinky promise?" I said, sticking out my pinky without taking my eyes off the road. She immediatly locked hers with mines and stamped on it, adding to the list of things we kept between us. 
     "Now put your hand back on the wheel before we get into another accident!" She teased and chuckled. 


     I parked the car infront of her home and unbuckled myself.
      "Come in the house for a bit. I dont know where my parents are today. Keep me company~" she asked cutely. I nodded. I was going to stay wether she asked me or not anyway.

    We sat on the floor and admired the Christmas tree. 
    "I cant believe tomorrows already Christmas Eve" I sighed.
    "Time went by way faster when you came back, Oppa".
    "A lot has happened within these few months, huh?"
    "mm", she nodded. 
    I nodded along with her, staringg at the oraments on the tree. Suddenly, she got up and ran to the kitchen. I stayed seated, wondering what she could possibly be doing. 
    Suddenly, she came running out with a bag of ice. She plopped herself next to me and pressed the bag against the tip of my eyebrow. 
    "Yah! thats cold!" I said, jumping back.
    "You need to ice it".
    "wae? Its already bruised".
    "You should still ice it! Itll heal faster if you ice it. Thats what my father taught me".
    I sighed in defeat and took the small bag of ice out of her hand and placed it agaiinst my head. 
    "Oppa, why do you like black so much?"
    "huh?"
    "why do you like black so much?"
    "I dont know, because it matches everything. Why do you like blue so much?"
    "Because".
    "Because?"
    "Because theres so much different shades of blue. Like the color of the sky. The color of the sky at 7am, 2pm, 6pm, and 9pm are all different shades of blue. The shades of blue ranges from an almost white, to an almost black. Even the ocean carries different shades of blue. plus, its pretty" she giggled and paused. She took a quick breath and continued, "But my most favorite shade is that peaceful light blue. Like on a fine spring day. When the sun is out and the breeze is just right... the color of the sky is such a clear blue, its breath taking".
    I had almost forgot that about her. How she could go into detail about something without having to be asked. I always thought she could make it as a writer. And I sort of wished I could write like her. I wish I could describe in detail the things I loved about her. I wish I could explain in detail her beauty. I wish I could describe in detail how her smile looked or how her laugh sounded. How she was as breathtaking as the sky she had described. but I couldnt and so I replied with a laugh and said "ill have to agree with that statement".