Take A Chance On Me

Give me 100 days

Talking to Jiyong felt natural, apart from Matthew I had never felt like I could talk so freely with a guy like this. We shared similar interests in travel, architecture, photography and art. I learnt about his love of fashion and passion for music and in turn he discovered my interests in cooking and history. 

"So what do you do?" He asked taking a sip from his glass, our group were the only ones left in the VIP area and the club had emptied a lot quicker than expected. Maybe because it was 5 AM?

"I work as a personal assistant to Park Hyunsoo, he's the director of Park Relations. The company started a partnership recently with my previous company in London, Logistics International." I told him

"Yeah, I've heard of Park Hyunsoo. He's been to some of the same events I have attended" He nodded

"So what about you? How do you make your money?" I asked

"You don't know who Jiyong is?"Asked one of his friends in disbelief

I shook my head "No, am I supposed to?"

"I work in music" He said shyly "I'm in a band"

"Sorry, I'm not clued up on Korean music" I admitted "But I'm sure you could introduce me to it"

"I'd love that" He replied

One of the bartenders came over and told us that the club was then closing. We finished our drinks and got up. Well I tried to, the champagne must have gone to my head. 

"Woah there!" Jiyong laughed as he steadied me by holding my arm

"Thanks" I smiled "I got up too quickly"

As we made our way outside Jiyong stopped and told one of his friends something. I watched our friends leave and looked at Jiyong with a puzzled face. No matter how well we got on, I wasn't going home with him. 

"Don't worry, I'm not going to try anything. I want to keep talking to you. If that's okay?" He asked

"Sure, what do you have in mind?" I asked

"There's a 24 hour cafe nearby. Maybe some coffee will sober us up?" 

Me and Jiyong walked towards the cafe in a comfortable silence. He had put his hat and sunglasses back on and when he saw that I had no jacket, insisted that I wore his. 

"I'm really enjoying talking to you Lola" He smiled as we sat down at a booth in the corner of the cafe. "I don't get to do this often"

"Why is that?" I asked, blowing on my coffee as to cool it down

"I find that some people can be fake, they think they know who I am but have no idea." He sighed running a hand through his hair "Sometimes it can get lonely"

"Are you that well known?" I asked embarrassed at my lack of knowledge on Korean pop culture

"I don't want to sound bug headed, but yes. I am rather well known."

"I can sympathize with you on the loneliness front." I confessed "Since arriving here I've been feeling out of place" 

"Why is that? Did you not want to come here?"

"I did. Well I thought I did. I love adventure and being independent but I don't think I had time to prepare for this move"

"I think you need to look at the bigger picture. You've been chosen by your boss out of so many people to represent the London company because of your talents."

I smiled gratefully at his attempt at cheering me up

"I feel homesick, more than when I moved away to university or when i moved to London. Maybe it has something to do with me living in a love motel"

Jiyong laughed loudly at what I had said

"I'm serious Jiyong, I'm staying at a love motel until my apartment is ready." I said with a serious face

He stopped laughing "Your company are making you stay in a love motel? He asked in disbelief

"Yeah, I even had to buy my own ear plugs!" I laughed this time

"I think you're right. Once you have somewhere to call home you'll feel less homesick."

"Then there's the issue of language. I speak Korean like a pre-schooler" I sighed

"Hey at least you're trying. I've heard of people who move abroad and never have any intentions of learning the native language. You found out three months ago that you're moving to another country. You're doing well, just give it time"

"I suppose so" I muttered sipping on my drink

"What else is bothering you about being here?" He asked

"The stares are something I can't get used to. Is it because I'm British that I think staring at a foreigner is rude? Am I that strange looking?"

"They only stare because they've never seen someone so beautiful as you"

I looked straight at him when I heard him speak those words. For a moment I thought he was being sincere, but no one has ever said that to me before.

"Nice one Jiyong, keep giving me compliments and I'll stay!" I laughed "You can't say that the ert ahjussi's think the same thing?" I shuddered

"I mean what I say Lola" He said 

I sighed and let the silence consume us for a short while.

"I was caught up in the romantic idea of travel, I don't think this is for me."

"But you've only just arrived"

"I'm not happy here"

"What if you let me change your mind?"

"How?"

"Give me until the end of your trial period to show you that this move was the best thing to happen to you. Give me 100 days."

"What will you do to change my mind?" I asked intrigued

"I have a few things in mind Lola. Please give me a chance, You have 100 days until you have to sign your permanent contract so why not?"

I didn't have to think for long about his proposition. Even though we had just met Jiyong was a breath of fresh air and if he was willing to change my mind about staying in Seoul I would let him.

"Sure, you've got yourself a deal"