Hello Seoul

Give me 100 days

My first 5 days in Seoul had not gone how I had imagined. After saying goodbye to my parents at the airport, I discovered my flight had been delayed so by the time i arrived in Seoul the tiredness factor was really taking over. The driver who came to pick me up didn't acknowledge my attempts at starting a conversation nor did he help with my bags. I was then told my apartment would not be ready yet and would have to stay in a hotel, a love motel. My first purchase was ear plugs to block out the neighboring rooms activities. 

I was struggling with the language. I could read hanguel but when it came to understanding the accents or the fast paced speeches of the locals I was lost. Thank god for my new friend Minji who is fluent in English, she has been a life saver.

One thing that I don't think I will ever get used to is the stares. In London I blended in, here not so much. My blue eyes and long blonde hair stands out in a sea of dark hair and eyes. I have yet to shop for clothes but I know I may find it difficult, girls here are small. I had always liked my body shape and size, 5'5 and a size 10 back home with a well proportioned chest. Although I've never liked my thighs, hips and region, the reason why I wasn't a size smaller. The worst part is the propositions from middle aged Korean men who want . Moving abroad isn't as easy as what I thought.

I waved to Minji who was at her desk

"Still working?" I asked her as I approached her work space.

"Afraid so, this needs to be finished by tonight and I still have so much to do" She smiled sadly "I'm not going to be able to make it out tonight, sorry"

We had made plans to celebrate my first work week in Korea with her sister and her sisters best friend.

"That's okay Minji, I know how important this deal is for the company" I reassured her

"You can still go out with my sister and her friend"

"I've never met them! I'll just stay inside tonight, it's fine" 

"No, go. It will be good for you to make more friends. Here's her address" Minji handed me a piece of paper

I agreed, Minji was right I needed to make the best out of a bad situation and gaining new friends was always a plus.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I walked quickly to meet Minji's sister, the temperature was gradually declining and I didn't want to wear a coat out. I ignored the stares of everyone who thought I was mad for wearing so little clothing. My dress was black and short with a mesh panel down the front, I need to stop caring about what strangers think. 

I rang the doorbell to the apartment and was greeted by a tall Korean goddess, in a striking blue mini dress.

"You must be Lola, I'm SooJin Minji's older sister" 

"Nice to meet you SooJin" I said as I was ushered inside

"This is my friend HaNa" I greeted the equally gorgeous brunette with a polite nod. HaNa was wearing black leather shorts and a striped blouse. 

I started to feel out of place with these two. If I didn't know better I would have thought they were models, not nurses.

"So shall we get going?" Asked SooJin

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HaNa's uncle owned the club so entry was easy as was getting into the VIP area. We were supplied with so many drinks I lost count. It was great to forget about my issues since arriving and have fun with like minded girls. I took a break from dancing and left SooJin and HaNa on the dance floor.

I had one message on my phone from Minji, hoping I was having a good time and that she was still at work. I felt slightly guilty, maybe I should have stayed with her to get the work finished, I thought. I put my phone away and noticed we were low on mixer so I went over to the bar to order some more. 

"Hey" Said a voice on my left

"Hi" I said slightly turning to face the voice. I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't interested but I didn't want to appear rude.

"Can I buy you a drink?"

"No thanks, we have a tab that's being paid for" I replied

I turned to get a proper look at the face. He was cute, but he was wearing sunglasses and a wide brimmed hat. In a club. No thanks.

"Okay" He smiled and went back to his table, which was next to ours. I told the bar tender what we wanted and went to sit back down. SooJin and HaNa were waiting for me.

"What just happened?" Asked SooJin as I sat down

"He wanted to buy me a drink but I declined. I'm not interested in finding a relationship here. Plus he was wearing sunglasses in a club, how can he see?" I laughed

SooJin and HaNa giggled to themselves, I felt like there was something they weren't telling me. I looked up and he was looking in my direction. Well I thought he was, I couldn't see his eyes. 

"Do you not like Korean men, Lola?" Asked HaNa

"If a guys hot I'm interested, race is not an issue" I said shaking my head. 

"So why are you not interested?" Asked SooJin

"I don't know if I'm going to stay here yet, I have 100 days to decide if I want to sign a permanent contract. I'm not sure if I'm going to. I feel out of place here and a bit homesick" I sighed

"It hasn't been a week yet, just give it some time." Reassured SooJin placing a hand on my shoulder

"Maybe having some fun is just what you need?" HaNa winked

"With who? I can't get a boyfriend at home, what are my chance here?" I asked

"I think someone's interested in you" Said SooJin, pointing with her head at the table next to us. 

"Whatever" I laughed "I'm going to use the restroom"

Maybe they're right, I've been having such a great time tonight not having to worry about language or my motel room or ert ahjussi's. 

I walked back and realized that the VIP area had gotten quieter. Our table however had not. There was now a group of guys sitting with SooJin and Hana, all squished together on one sofa with another guy by himself on another. As I got closer I realized it was Sunglasses guy but he had taken his hat off as well as his sunglasses. Yes he was cute, very cute. He had a boyish grin and short dark hair in a Mohawk. 

"Lola, we've made some friends" Shouted SooJin as I got closer "You have to sit next to Jiyong, there's no more room here" she giggled

I laughed at her observation, there were 7 people on a sofa that was meant for 4, there was definitely not enough room!

I sat next to Jiyong and smiled at him. The sofa we were sitting on was much smaller, lots of space for one person, a bit close for two to share. I didn't realize how small the sofa was until our I could feel our thighs touching. They were definitely up to something. 

"Will you accept this drink?" He asked handing me a glass of champagne

I laughed at his gesture and accepted the drink 

"I'm sorry about earlier, I hope I didn't come across as rude" I said, trying to hide the blush that was creeping onto my cheeks. His stare was intimidating and I think he knew it.

"No problem. You're friends told me it was because of the hat and glasses."

"Yeah, I just thought it was a bit strange that you would wear that in a club" I said slightly embarrassed.

"I get so used to wearing sunglasses all the time that I forget I've got them on" He laughed "But I wanted to talk to you, so I made an effort to take them off."

"I will allow you to talk to me now" I smiled "I'm Lola Jackson" I held a hand out

"Nice to meet you Lola, I'm Kwon Jiyong"