London Town

Give me 100 days

I breathed a loud sigh as I exited the London underground, those things are hell during peak time commute. Probably the worst thing about London was the transport, cramped and expensive. It wasn't the ideal city that I had imagined during my time at university. Don't get me wrong, I love London but it wasn't the perfect notion i had dreamt about when I was younger. 

Making my way into the office I waved at the receptionist, sweet enough but the type who gave us blondes a bad reputation. I looked at my reflection in the mirrored elevator walls. I put in more of an effort today because I had been informed I had a meeting with my boss, something that didn't happen often with someone of my status. 

I had been working here for four months, it was my first job since graduating and I couldn't complain about my job. For 22 years old and not a lot of experience I didn't need to think twice when they offered me the job. even though I got paid more than an intern, I was still treated like one: head intern. At least I had my own desk. 

I exited the elevator and walked over to my desk, Matthew my closest friend was already there sitting at his desk opposite to mine. 

"Hi" He greeted enthusiastically

"Woah, it is way too early for you to be that excited!"

"Not when you're meeting with the boss" He grinned

"It might not be good news, it could be bad. I could be fired" I replied straight faced

"I don't think so. They wouldn't need to hold a meeting if that was the case."

I considered what he said. Although I would never admit it to him he had a point, why call a big meeting just to fire me?

I looked at the time, almost ten. Almost time for my meeting. I left Matthew and made my way to the fourteenth floor. 

Brushing the creases out of my fitted blue dress, I informed the receptionist on this floor that I was here. 

"Good morning Lola, thank you for joining us" Said my Boss as I walked into the boardroom

I replied with a shy smile and nod and took a seat.

"Now that everyone is here let's discuss our expansion plans" One of the directors said as he started the presentation

I watched closely, taking in as much information as possible but I was still lost. I had no prior knowledge as to why I was watching a presentation on the expansion of the company and not someone with more seniority. 

"Joining offices will be a great idea, it is the best solution to creating a global company" came a voice from within the room

"Great, we are looking forward to this new partnership" Said another

And with that the presentation ended and people started leaving the room, I remained seated with a confused look upon my face.

"Lola, I'm glad you were there for the presentation" said my boss as he sat in the empty seat on my right

"As am I. But I'm slightly confused sir, why was I here?" I asked

"There will be some considerable changes to the company within the next twelve months. I have looked at your history since joining the company and have found that you have contributed greatly to building connections with the global market" 

"Everything I've done has been for a job in PR, it's what I'm best at" I brushed off his compliment

"That is exactly why I am offering you the chance to work abroad in our new office!"

I sat in disbelief, confused as to why I was picked over my co-workers.

"Trust me when I say you are right for this job. You have the ability and knowledge to take our company far. It also helps that you're young and single"

I laughed at his correct statement. I was indeed very much single. Very much single also meaning never had a boyfriend.

"Don't take that the wrong way. It's just that you have no spouse or children to move with you." He said quickly as to not cause too much offense. "But it is a big decision and you should be given time to think about it"

It didn't matter, I had made my decision already. I was going to take the offer.

"I'm going to accept the offer" I informed him

"Are you sure? You don't even know where you're moving to?" He asked, shocked at my impulsiveness to accepting a job I knew little about

"Yes, I'm ready for something new." 

"If you're sure..." He sighed

I nodded enthusiastically, I was ready for more responsibilities and if that meant the addition of adventure than I was all for it.

"We will need another meeting to go over paperwork soon. Other than that, congratulations on the job" He smiled "You're going to love Seoul"

"Seoul?" I asked puzzled

"Yeah, the job is in South Korea" stated my boss as he walked out of the boardroom.

So... South Korea.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading guys :) I promise it will get more interesting, this was just the background as to how Lola moved to Seoul.