Retracing Steps

something diffrently new

Pie’s POV

Pie was still asleep and was bothered by the bright light coming from the window. She can feel the warmth on her face. She grabbed the sheets and pulled it over her head. Then her phone rang. Ugh! Who could that be, my head still hurts. I know, I won’t pick it up, and whoever that is will just get tired of calling. She grabbed a pillow and covered her head with it. Then her phone stopped ringing, a few minutes later, it was ringing again, then it stopped then rang again, so Pie decided to pick it up. She tried looking for it, and she finally found it on her purse which was on the floor, along with her dress.

“Haaallo?” Pie answered with a yawn.

“Ms. Pie, where are you? It’s already 1pm and you didn’t come home last night?” It was In, her housemaid.

Pie looked around, she actually didn’t know where she is or how she got there. She looked around and found a brochure for the hotel. “Uhh I’m at the uhh Siam Hotel.”

“What are you doing there?” In asked

“It doesn’t matter, could come and bring me my investigation outfit and a coffee and an aspirin, I’m at room uhh” she look for a keycard then found it on the bedside table “204.”

“Okay Ms. Pie will be right there.”

“Oh and In don’t tell anyone or let anyone see you, okay?”

“Yes Ms. Pie”

“Okay hurry.”

Pie looked around and tried to remember what happened last night. It was all a big blur. She looked at bed, only the left side was really messy, where she slept. She always slept on the left side even at home and even though her bed was really big, she just got used to it, so it’s wasn’t a big surprise. And the right side was untouched. Whew, at least no one was with me last night. Pie thought.  But what really happened last night, how did I get here, the last thing I remembered was thinking of thanking Kim but she was too busy flirting with two girls, so I just decided to have another drink, then I heard really catchy song and it made me dance my off, then blank. Hmm I guess it really was a Mind Eraser. She had no memory whatsoever about what happened to her. Then there was a knock on the door, whoever it was knocked three times and paused and knocked three times again, she waited for another three knocks before she opened, because it was hers and In’s signature knock.

“Here you go Ms. Pie. What are you investigating today?” In handed her a jeans, a sweat shirt with hoodie, a pair of sunglasses, a cup of freshly brewed coffee and an aspirin. That was her ‘investigation outfit’ because it wasn’t common for her to wear that, and people wouldn’t recognize her on that.

“Oh you know stuff I can’t tell you right now In.” Pie answered. “You can go now, I’ll take care of things from here, thank you In”

“Okay Ms. Pie” In waved goodbye and left.

Pie is actually just gonna retrace her steps and find out what happened to her. First she called the front desk of the hotel.

“Hello, Siam Hotel front desk, how may I help you?”

“Uh yeah, I just want to ask what time I checked in last night, I’m at room 204”

“Okay Miss, let me check” Pie heard clicking as she waited for the response.

“Uhm Ms. Mindara, you checked in at 3am this morning with a credit card”

“Oh okay thank you”

“You’re welcome Ms. Mindara, is there anything else you would like to ask or order?”

“No thank you, I will be checking out soon”

“Okay Ms. Mindara, hope you enjoyed your stay, have a good day.”

“Thank you” then Pie hung up. I checked in at 3am? Huh? What I remembered was going to the bar at 10pm, and it didn’t take me that long to have drinks. So where was I, hmmm. . . .

Pie took a shower then headed off to the bar where she went last night. She entered the bar and one guy waved at her and shouted “Hey! Miss hot mess, you’re back to party eh?” Pie was a bit shocked and confused. She just faked a smile to guy, whoever he is and put her sunglasses back on. Miss hot mess? She shook off the thought in her head. She went to the bar and found the bartender that served her drinks last night.

“Hi, do you remember me?” Pie asked the bar tender

“Yeah sure, the Mind Eraser lady. You really wanted to party last night huh?” the bartender chuckled.

“Uh yeah, haha.” Pie half laughed. “Uhh I was wondering how many shots I took last night?”

“Haha seriously? You don’t remember? You took about, I don’t know, I think it was almost 65 shots, wait I think I still have your tab here somewhere.” The bartender paused and looked for Pie’s bill from last night.

65 shots whoah that’s why I couldn’t remember. Pie thought.

“Oh here it is, oh actually it was 67 shots, yeah I remember you ordering shots with one of your friend.”

“What friend?”

“The one who took you out when almost puked on the dance floor, you seriously don’t remember?”

“Oh yeah that friend, I remember now, thank you.” Pie lied about remembering. A friend? I wonder who it was be. She grabbed her phone then searched through her phonebook history, her last call was to Van at 1:45am. Crap! I called him? What did I say to him? Oh my god! What the heck did I do? Wait, was he the one who took me to the hotel? Or took me out? Or whatever that bartender said. I should show him a picture of Van and ask if it was Van who took me.

“Uhh barkeep, was this the friend who took me out last night?” Pie asked shyly.

The bartender took her phone and looked at the picture. “No, it wasn’t him, it was the other one, but he was here last night, trying to take you home, and I thought he was bothering you ‘cause you kept on shouting at him to leave you alone, so I called the security and they lead him out. So I guess he’s your boyfriend huh? Or should I say ex-boyfriend? Haha.”

“Uhh yeah, you could say that.” Pie rolled her eyes and was kinda annoyed at the bartender. “Thank you for the information.” Pie put her sunglasses back on and walked away, but before she put it back on, someone recognized her again. “Miss Hot mess you’re so awesome.” Then the guy high-fived her. Then she saw a familiar girl who was glaring at her. I know her, who was she again. Then she remembered that it was one of the girls who was flirting with Kim last night. What is her problem, why is she glaring at me like that? Pie got irritated and confronted the girl. The girl noticed Pie was heading her direction. It wasn’t until now that she realized that it was actually Pie Mindara, the daughter of the biggest fashion icon in Thailand. She got embarrassed as Pie approached her and said “What is your problem with me Miss?” Pie asked. “Uhh nothing I’m just a huge fan of your mother’s work.” Pie rolled her eyes “Okay then.” Pie just walked away.

Pie then approached the guy who gave her a high-five. “Uhm excuse me, why did you call me earlier ‘Miss Hot Mess’? Did I really make a mess here last night?” Pie asked.

“Haha, Short term memory loss eh? You were just so awesome when you danced the song Hot Mess by Cobra Starship. You were dancing and taking shots at the same time, the one bartender said that you broke the record for having the greatest number of shots in under 10 seconds. You were really awesome. Everyone was cheering and counting while you took the shots. You took f..”

“Yeah I remember how many shots I took under 10 seconds.” Pie cuts him off, she didn’t wanna know how many shots she made under 10 seconds. “Was I with someone here last night?”

“I don’t think so, but there was this one dude that caught you when you almost fell off the stage dancing. I thought you knew him or something but you pushed him away so I didn’t bother, you should ask Jake, he is the veteran bartender here. He knows everyone that comes in and out of this bar everyday.”

Pie thanked him then went back to the bar. “Hi again” she said to her bartender last night.

“Hey anymore I can help you with? Maybe a drink again?” The bartender grinned.

“Actually I’m looking for Jake the bartender.”

“Oh yeah, wait I’ll just call him.” The bartender turned his back on Pie and shouted “Hey Jake someone’s looking for ya.” “Okay be right there” The Jake guy answered.

The Jake guy smiled and asked Pie “How can I help you Miss?”

“Yeah, that guy said that I almost fell last night and someone caught me, a guy, I was wondering if you knew him ad if he was the one who took me home last night?”

“Oh yeah, he is a regular here, but none of knows him, we just call him Mr. Whiskey, because he always orders whiskey. He never gave his name or whatever, and he always pays cash. So I’m sorry Miss, but I can’t help you there. But he was the one who took you out though, around 2am. I hope nothing bad happened to you Miss.?”

“No, I got home fine.” Pie lied.

“Okay then, if I see him again I’ll tell him that you were looking for him.”

“Oh no that won’t be necessary. I’ll just thank him myself. I think I remember who he is now. Thanks though.” Pie lied again. She couldn’t handle it anymore she was lying a lot today.

“You’re welcome Miss Hot Mess.” The Jake guy smiled at winked at her, and went back to his work.

Mr. Whiskey eh? Who the hell are you? And where did you take me at 2am? Pie thought. Then her stomach made a sound. She looked at her watch and it was already 5pm, and she was getting hungry. She decided to eat at Bo Lan at Sukhumvit. She didn’t wanna risk going to Le Beaulieu and see Yam there. After eating she searched her purse for her credit card and she noticed a tissue that wasn’t there earlier. She thought it was a trash so she tried to crumple it, but there was something written inside, it was a phone number and something else “If you are looking for Mr. Whiskey, here is his number.” Pie looked around, maybe someone was playing a trick on her. But curiosity struck her so she dialed the number and it rang. Then someone answered.

“Hello?” Pie didn’t answer back then she hung up.