Chapter 2

A New Beginning at 26

“Am I late?” you asked your younger brother, Woo as you hurriedly enter the door.

 

“Uncle and auntie aren’t here yet, but mom’s been asking about you like every five minutes.” Woo answered.

 

“Mom, I’m here!” you shouted as you enter the kitchen.

 

Seeing your mother prepare the dishes so diligently, you couldn’t help but hug her from behind.

 

“Mom…I missed you.” you said as you rest your chin on her shoulder taking a whiff of her familiar scent.

 

“Why is my baby acting like this?” your mother said in a sweet tone patting your cheeks lightly.

 

“Nothing, I just missed you.” you said as you reach for the dessert your mother was preparing.

 

“Missed me or my food?” she said as she slaps your hand away.  “Put this on the counter along with the fruits.”

 

“Both.” you said with a chuckle.

 

“Noona, you shouldn’t have come.” Woo said with a sly smile as he shakes his head while you set the dishes on the table.

 

“Well, you never should’ve been born!  That way I’ll be the only child.” you said as you glared at him sticking your tongue at him.

 

“I’m just concerned about you.” he said coy like he knew something you didn’t.  “You’re my precious sister after all.”

 

“What do you know?” you asked with creased brows.

 

“I don’t think I’m allowed to tell.” he said.  “But at a good price, I might just spill.”

 

“Your being a jerk…and to your older sister.” you said as you grabbed his head into a headlock.  “I’m gonna teach you a lesson so you’ll learn never to speak to your noona that way!”

 

“No noona!  Wait!  Wait!” he shouted as he struggled to break free.  “I’ll tell!  I’ll tell!”

 

“So what is it?” you asked again as you free him.

 

“I just know that mom is talking to auntie and uncle about you…and your future.” Woo said as he holds his neck.

 

“What do you mean about my future?” you asked with hands on your waist.  “They’re not thinking of sending me to another fortune teller or something, are they?”

 

“I’m really not allowed to tell.” he said as he backs away slowly.  “But…what I could tell you is…they’re arranging something for you.” Woo said as he runs away.

 

“Hey come back here you little prick!” you shouted, wanting to run after him, but the doorbell stops you from doing so.

 

“Good morning auntie, uncle.” you greeted them at the door.

 

They’re family have been good friends with your family for the longest time.  The friendship started from the two grandfathers who have been friends since they were young.  Your late grandfather would always say that he’s indebted to his friend who saved his life once when they were just children.  And from then on, the friendship grew and branched out to the whole family.

 

“Hi sweetie.  Happy birthday.” your aunt lovingly said as she gives you a hug.  “How have you been?”

 

“Good.” you said with a smile.

 

“Well, that’s good to know.” your uncle said as he pats you on the shoulder.  “Happy birthday dear.”

 

“Come in.” you said as you let them inside your house.

 

“I see you still wear that cameo.” your aunt said as she touched the necklace around your neck.

 

“I don’t feel complete without it.” you said.

 

“By the way, our Taecyeon will be following later.” your aunt said.

 

“Dumbo?” you asked with a wide smile, remembering your childhood friend.

 

“You still remember how you used to call him.” your aunt said laughing.  “Well, he looks a lot different now, only his ears are still as big.”

 

“It’s nice that he could come.” you said.  “I didn’t even know he came back already.  I think it’s been more than 10 years since we saw each other last.”

 

“About 15 years.” your uncle said.

 

“Anyway, how is grandfather?” you asked.

 

“He’s still very sick.” your aunt said sadly.  “he was a lot better when you visited him last, but I think he’s health is deteriorating every day now.”

 

“Maybe I’ll go and visit him again later.” you said with a gentle smile as you walked them over to the living room.

 

“I think father would like that very much.” your aunt said.  “He would like it more if you could visit with Taecyeon.”

 

“Then I’ll have to invite Chansung as well.” you said as you linked arms with your aunt.  “I was just talking with him last night.”

 

Taecyeon’s parents said he had something to do at his father’s office before coming over since he will be taking over the business pretty soon, so you have all decided to start eating without him.  In the middle of brunch, a doorbell was once again heard and you hurriedly went to open the door excitedly anticipating meeting your old friend.

 

You opened the door to find a man standing there, the same man from last night at the bar.  He had a smile on as he greeted you and without a word, you shut the door on his face as you thought of reasons to why he was there.

 

“The hell is going on?” you asked yourself as you bit your nail.

 

He rang the doorbell again, but you still had to sort your thoughts at the moment as you held on to the door keeping it closed.

 

“Sis, what are you doing not opening the door.” your younger brother said as he shoved you away, opening the door himself.

 

“No Woo!  Wait!” you said as you stopped him.

 

“Hyung!” Woo said as he greeted the man on the door.

 

“You know each other?” you asked bewildered still.

 

“That was very rude of you.” the man said to you.

 

“Of course.” Woo said.  “What’s wrong with you?  It’s Taec hyung.  I’m sorry she’s been crazy since birth.”

 

“That I know.” he said as he entered the house.

 

“Dumbo?” you asked looking at the strange man in front of you.

 

“So, maybe you haven’t completely forgotten all about me.” Taecyeon said with a smile.

 

“How did you…?” you said to Woo still as bewildered as you were when you first opened the door.

 

“He met with me and mom a few days ago.” Woo said.

 

“I can’t believe how much you’ve grown.” your mother said to Taecyeon as he joined everyone at the table.  “You’ve become a handsome young man.”

 

“Maybe that’s why Snuggles couldn’t recognize me.” he said.  “You’re still the same though.”

 

“Are you saying I’m still short and fat?” you said annoyed.

 

“I’m just saying…you’re pretty much still the same Snuggles from years ago.” Taecyeon said.

 

“Snuggles?  Don’t call me that.” you said.

 

“Why?  It’s cute.  Don’t you remember I used to call you Snuggles when we were younger?” Taecyeon said giggling.  “Besides, I still let you call me Dumbo, right?”

 

“I see you still get along well.” your mother said.

 

“Mom, we’re arguing.” you said annoyed.  “Which part of our conversation made you think you we get along well?”

 

“Well, you better get along well.” Woo said with a sly smile.

 

“Eat and shut up.” you said to Woo.

 

“Well, you really have to get along well.” your aunt said.  “Since we’re arranging for your marriage.”

 

“Whose marriage?” you asked as you looked at everyone at the table.

 

“Yours and Taecyeon’s.” your mother said calmly.

 

“I have no one to marry and I don’t plan on marrying anyone.” you said.  “So, I guess you’ll just have to arrange his marriage.  I’ll help if you want.”

 

“No honey.” your mother said.  “We’re going to have you two marry each other.”

 

“What?” you said surprised, unsure if you heard it right.

 

“I told you, you shouldn’t have come.” Woo said with a snicker.

 

“We already talked about it and everyone has agreed to this.” your mother said.

 

“Everyone other than me.” you angrily said, your face flushed red.  “And to think that it’s my life you’ve decided on.”

 

“When you were younger your grandfathers already told you both that you will marry each other” your mother said.

 

“That was like what…when we were 7 or 8 years old!” you said.  “I also said I’d be an astronaut at that age.”

 

“And I’d be a super hero.” Taecyeon said with a snicker.

 

“And here you are now.” Woo said with a chuckle.

 

“You did ask about grandfather, right?” your aunt said.  “Well, this is his wish.  In fact, this is both your grandfather’s and Taecyeon’s grandfather’s wish.  Your grandfather died before he could see you two get married.  Now that Taecyeon’s grandfather is sick, we all at least want him to see his wish fulfilled before he passes away.  He asked for this specifically.  You do understand, right?”

 

“Why does it have to be me?” you asked angrily almost wanting to cry.  “Let’s marry Woo off instead.”

 

“He’s still young.” your mother said.

 

“And I’m a guy.” Woo said flailing his hands in the air.  “Which means I can’t marry hyung.”

 

“Well, I won’t get married either.” you said.  “This is the 21st century and arranged marriages are passé.”

 

“Grandfather only has a year to live at most.” your aunt said.  “You don’t have to stay married forever.”

 

“You’re asking us to put on a show for grandfather?  How could you lie to a dying man?” you said as tears began to pool in your eyes.

 

“Watch your tongue!” your mother angrily said.  “This has been settled and you will marry Taecyeon and that’s the end of it.”

 

“I can’t believe you have nothing to say about all this.” you said to Taecyeon who remained quiet.

 

“You’re not the only one with a life.  It’s not like I wanted to marry a rude, mean, selfish girl like you, but I have no choice.  I’m doing it for the family.” Taecyeon said calmly as he looked at you. “That’s something I know you can’t comprehend, but maybe you can learn to stop being selfish for once in your life and grow up.”

 

Taecyeon’s words sting straight to your heart.  Somehow you know he was right, but you know what they wanted was wrong.  How could you marry a guy you don’t even love?  How can he marry a girl he abhors?  By the way he described you, rude, selfish and mean, it was clear how he felt about you.

 

“This is unfair!” you said as you stood up to leave the table, marching off to your room angrily.

 

You stayed in your old room trying to face the fact that you are slowly losing control over your life.  You felt your tears flow as you take in the sheer unfairness of everything and everyone.

 

After a while, a faint knock could be heard from outside your room.

 

“I don’t want to talk to anyone.” you said in between sobs as you lay on the floor under your bed.  It was your favorite hiding place as a child and somehow you’re wishing it could still do the trick for you.

 

“Let me in, okay?” Taecyeon said in a deep soft voice.

 

“Leave.” you said as you laid still.

 

“Open the door or I’ll break it down.” Taecyeon taunted.

 

“Fine break it down.” you dared.

 

“Actually, I don’t have to.  Your mom gave me the key.” he said as he opened the door and went straight to peek under the bed, making you wipe your eyes, but your tears came anyway that you couldn’t hide your crying.  “So I see you still hide under your bed.”

 

“Are you here to tell me how selfish I am some more?” you said.

 

“It’s unfair right?” he said as he lay down beside you on the floor.

 

“You should’ve said something if you thought it was unfair.” you said with hopelessness looming over you.

 

“The elders have already decided.” he said with a sigh.  “Besides, they are doing this for our grandfathers.  And after all that they did for us, who am I to complain…or you?”

 

“Don’t you have a girlfriend?” you asked.

 

“No, but I have someone I love.” he said softly.  “Do you have a boyfriend?”

 

“No.” you said.  “But I have a life and a plan that doesn’t include marriage.”

 

“It doesn’t have to be forever.” he said.  “I know you couldn’t care less about an old man’s dying wish, but I love my grandfather and I want to at least make him happy on his remaining days.”

 

“I love your grandfather too like he’s my own, he took care of me a lot especially after my grandpa and dad died, but marrying you or any other man seems like a little too much.” you said.  “Why can’t anyone see that?”

 

“It’ll only be on paper.” he said.  “Think about it some more.”

 

“You’ve changed.” you said as you looked at him.

 

“And you haven’t.” Taecyeon said as he stares at you.  “Although, I do remember your childhood dream to be a princess with a unicorn and not an astronaut.”

 

“You remember the oddest things about me.” you said.

 

“Well, you’re an odd girl.” he said.  “Anyway, visit grandfather.  It might help you decide.”

 

“I don’t even know what to tell him.” you said letting out a deep sigh escape your lips as tear falls as well.

 

“Happy birthday Snuggles.” Taecyeon said as he looked at you with pity in his eyes, extending an arm to wipe the tear off your cheek.