Chapter 7

A New Beginning at 26

Taecyeon sits anxiously brooding at the edge of the bed tapping his foot as his eyes dart back and forth towards the clock that hangs on the wall.  He gets up to pace around the room several times taking a peek each time at the ticking clock thinking if he should drag his new wife back into the villa or just let her be alone with her thoughts some more out in the cold.  He ran his fingers through his hair as he eyes a blanket on top of the bed and grabs it immediately to bring it outside.

 

“That girl.” he said shaking his head as he heads out of the room along with a loud exhale that escaped from between his lips.  “Always making me worry…always.” he said with a grunt.

 

It was getting late and the living room was dark without any of the lights on.  He was about to head out of the villa, reaching for the door when he saw something move by the couch.  His heart now beating rapidly as he slowly walks over towards its direction.

 

“Hello?” he said as his voice echoed in the silence.

 

He extends his hand touching the lamp on the side table, flipping the switch to turn it on.

 

In the dim light, Taecyeon saw his wife, you, sleeping soundly on the couch, curled up to the side with both hands under your cheek.  Your eyelids closed as your soft breathing stays deep and relaxed making the world seem to stand still as you rested your weary head.  There was no more sadness in your face.  It was as if the lines of care and sorrow have smoothed out as you lay at peace trying to rejuvenate your mind and body.

 

He smiles as he shook his head to find you there.  Carefully Taecyeon covers you up with the blanket he brought along with him and then he sits on the floor looking at your sleeping face from a close distance.

 

“So you were here all along.” he muttered as he away a strand of hair from your face.

 

He looks at the side table and saw the photo album he gave you earlier at the beach.  He took it and quickly flipped the pages as if trying to find out if you have even opened it further than the first page.

 

“I see you didn’t even scan through this.” he said gritting his teeth as he looked at you.  He found your face so beautiful that he couldn’t find the right words to describe you. “You never do as you’re told.” he said as he looked at you some more, when a tear escapes from your eye as you lay to the side making it flow to your nose down to the hand under your cheek.  “What am I gonna do with you?” he said as he wipes the tear away with his finger gently making sure not to wake you up.  “I…always...” Taecyeon whispered in your ear as he places a kiss on your cheek.

 

Time passed and you slowly awake from your slumber, rubbing the sleep from your eyes as you slowly open them with a yawn.  To your surprise you see Taecyeon sleeping, sitting on the floor with his back leaning on the couch, his arms crossed in front of his chest.  You also notice the warm blanket that envelopes you and knew immediately he was the one who put it on you.

 

You stood up carefully and sat beside him on the floor, covering the both of you with the same blanket.  It was something you did on impulse, unsure why you did or why you sat beside him when all you wanted to do was run away from him.  He shifted a little making you freeze, afraid to have woken him up, but he sleeps again making you give a sigh of relief.

 

You stared at his sleeping well chiseled face some more, completely taken at how handsome he has become.  His slightly tanned skin along with his thick eyebrows made him look even more masculine and so much ier than you remembered.

 

“Why would you sleep on the floor anyway?” you said meekly as you look at him warmly believing him to be asleep.

 

“I was afraid that if I move you, you’ll wake up.” Taecyeon said with his eyes closed.

 

“A…ar…are you awake?” you asked stuttering in surprise as you look at him wide-eyed and mouth agape.

 

“Uhm.” he said nodding lightly, slowly opening his eyes to look at you as he stretched his long arms.  “I woke up when you moved.  I’m quite a light sleeper.”

 

“No, you’re not.” you said.  “You sleep like a log.”

 

“That’s when I was a kid.” he said with a yawn.  “As I got older…well, let’s just say I grew up waking up a lot in my sleep.”

 

“Urinary incontinence?” you said with a chuckle making Taecyeon look at you with a wide smile unable to believe you just threw a joke at him.

 

“Was that a joke?” he asked making you stop giggling.  “And I believe I saw a smile from you just now.” he said pointing at your blushing face.

 

“You shouldn’t have slept on the floor.” you said clearing your throat as you attempted to stand up.

 

“Stay.  Please.” he said holding on to your wrist stopping you from moving.

 

“Taec…” you said under your breath as you sat back down beside him.

 

“Don’t talk.” Taecyeon said cutting you off as he once again shares with you the blanket.  “I’d rather not hear you say, this is useless, we shouldn’t do this, this is just on paper, this isn’t real.  I’d rather you not say those words at all.”

 

“Then what do you want me to say?” you said as you fidget with your fingers under the blanket.

 

“What I want to hear from you, I don’t think you’ll want to say.” he said as he looked at you.  “You know what?  I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life.  But I realized the biggest mistake I ever made was letting things die down between us.  I should’ve realized sooner that our friendship meant more…I should’ve believed in what we had more than what some people made me believe.  I should’ve trusted you and I’m sorry.  Whatever happened…it was my fault for not confronting you sooner.”

 

“I don’t understand a thing you were saying, but what I know is, you’ve become overly dramatic through the years.” you said as you couldn’t help but smile at his seriousness.

 

“Hey, I know this sounds crazy, but…do you want to be friends again?” he asked.  “I know it’s kind of in a reverse order being already married and all, but maybe if you don’t hate me so much, maybe we can be friends again.  It’ll make life so much easier for us.”

 

“Friends?” you asked as you looked at him, giving his words some thought.

 

“I miss my friend.  I miss you Snuggles.” he said anticipating your answer.

 

“I kinda…sorta…missed you too.” you answered giving him a smile, a real one.

 

“Am I blushing?” Taecyeon asked as he couldn’t hide his grin that went from ear to ear.

 

“A little.” you said giggling.

 

“So what do you say we get off the floor.” he said as he stood up and then extended his left hand towards you.

 

“Why are we even on the floor to begin with?” you asked as you gave him your left hand, making him pull you up instantly.

 

“I was…well…guarding you, just in case you ran away.” he said still holding your hand in his.  “Don’t take this off okay?” he said looking at the wedding band on your finger.  “And I won’t ever take this off either.” he said flipping your hands to show the wedding ring on his finger.

 

“After a year…” you said.

 

“Well, that’s a year from now.” he said not letting you finish.  “Let’s not talk about that for now.  Oh and by the way, do read my gift.” he said pointing to the album that you left on the side table.  “I gave it to you for a purpose.”

 

“I will.” you answered as you slowly pulled your hand away from his.  “But I think we should sleep for tonight.”

 

“Uhm.  We should.” Taecyeon said.  “But do you think it’ll be fine if we sleep inside…the room.  I mean, it’s a huge bed and we could put something in between.  And I won’t…I promise I won’t do anything other than sleep.  It’s just that it’s…well, one room…one bed and the couch is uncomfortable.”

 

“It’s fine.” you hesitantly agreed.  “But let’s do put something in between.”

 

“Besides when we get home…the new home they prepared for us…” he said running his fingers through his hair.

 

“I know.” you said nodding lightly as you give out a deep sigh.  “It’ll be like practice.”

 

“Hey, the necklace I gave you…have you ever opened it?” he asked as you both walked towards the room.

 

“Opened it?  Does it open?” you asked curiously.

 

“How long have you had it?” Taecyeon asked with a smirk.  “You’ve had it on for 15 years and not once have you tried to open it.”

 

“I didn’t know it opens.” you said.

 

“If you’re interested to know how I felt when I had that made…open it.” he said opening the door to the bedroom.

 

“Maybe I will.” you said as you walked in.