Chapter 23

A New Beginning at 26

“Can I help you?”  Taecyeon’s new executive assistant asked you with utmost professionalism as he looked at you quite strangely looking out of place in the sleek office with your yellow mini eyelet sundress and ballet flats.  You were a vision of bright summer against the workplace’s dreary setting.  Numbers were crunched and processed here, but you wore a bright yellow dress, like the color of the sun peeking out from the dark clouds with eyes like stars.

 

“I’m here to see Taec.”  You answered casually with a smile.

 

He found it quite strange for a girl to suddenly appear calling his boss by his first name.  “Do you have an appointment?”  He asked a little too seriously looking at his monitor to check the scheduled meetings for the day.

 

“No, I just thought I’d stop by and bring him lunch.”  You hold up a picnic basket that you brought along with you, bouncing with excitement like meeting your husband for the first time, your heart pounding with anticipation of his reaction at your surprise.

 

“I’m sorry, but Mr. Ok has a very busy schedule.”

 

Your mouth scrunched together in a grimace.  “Really?  Too busy for lunch?”

 

“I believe so.  He’s in a meeting with the board as we speak.  Maybe you could come back some another time-with an appointment?”

 

“Well, I guess I’ll just have to wait in his office until he’s done.”

 

“I’m sorry, but I can’t let you do that ma’am.”  He stood up in a hurry to block your path, his arms extended to the sides not letting you through.

 

You laughed and your hand flew to cover your mouth.  “I’m sorry.  I just figured we’ve never met before.  I’m your boss’ wife.  Has he ever mentioned me?”

 

“Hi sweetheart!”  You heard a familiar voice thrown towards your direction.

 

“Junho!”  You greeted him with a smile and a warm hug, leaving Taecyeon’s executive assistant in horror, wanting to jump out the window right at the 21st floor.

 

“You’re looking good.”  Junho grins with mischief in his eyes.  “It’s been a while since I saw you last.  Is everything alright with you?”

 

“No.”  You said in a strangled voice as you shake your head.

 

There was a pause for a few seconds before he could ask.  “What’s wrong?”  Worry obviously written all over his face.

 

“You’re face.  You’re too cute.”  Junho could hear the laughter in your voice as you spoke.  “Do you have no care for the emotional well-being of the women who have to look at you?”

 

“You still love to tease, don’t you?”  His chuckle was soft as he touched the ends of your hair.  “So, what brings the princess here?”  He brushed his fingers across your fringe, admiring the way the uneven layers fell across your brows.

 

“Bringing my husband lunch.”

 

“Lucky husband.  If you grow tired of that one –“  He points to Taecyeon’s door as he rocked on his heels.  “-I’m available.”

 

“I’ll consider that.”  You both laughed.  “Anyway, Mr. VP can you vouch for me?  His executive assistant here won’t let me wait in his office.”  You frowned.

 

“Big mistake!  This girl could hold a grudge and so does your boss.”  Junho taunted shaking his head.

 

“He’s kidding.  Don’t worry about it too much.”  You couldn’t help but giggle.

 

“Anyway, inform Taec right away.  He might not get out anytime soon, but at least it will keep him from rambling and have the meeting drag on for too long.”  Junho ordered and then turns to you.  “Your husband tends to babble a lot.  Anyway, I’ll see you soon okay?”  His mouth quirked in that friendly smile that you have always found so comforting as he said goodbye.

 

At that moment, Taecyeon’s assistant almost fell over his desk apologizing when he learned who you are.  “I’m so sorry ma’am, so sorry.  I’ll show you to his office and let him know you’re here.”  He showed you to Taecyeon’s office and sent for someone to let him know you were waiting for him while he serves you coffee and numerous apologies.

 

Less than ten minutes later, his executive assistant could not manage to hold his laughter to himself as he sees Taecyeon sprinting through the suites of offices until he reached his own.  He nodded to the door and Taecyen shot him a grin before going in.

 

You were standing at the far side of his spacious office, looking out the window at everyone’s busy life down below, sipping coffee from a porcelain cup that seemed out of place and time in that setting.  You turned around as you heard the door open, seeing him standing there staring at you.  All you could hear was the sound of his steps as he approached.  There was nothing else, just the two of you and everything started to fade in the background.  You couldn’t look away from him.  There was that sort of merriment in his eyes that made you smile with a tender warmth that sunk all the way down to your toes.  It was like stepping into a stream on a hot day.

 

He called your name and in that moment, you never thought your name could sound so beautiful.  “This is a pleasant surprise.  What brings you here?”  Taecyeon said with the smile that was taking up permanent residence in his face.

 

You blushed, rose petals against your cheeks.  “I missed you too much.”

 

He crossed the room to you and pulled you up in a hug.  “I’m glad you did.”  He kissed you lightly on the lips.

 

“Yah!  Kiss me like you mean it!”  You said against his lips and he chuckled before he complies with your demand.  He brushed his lips against yours as he leaned on to you, trading kisses like it has been years since you saw each other last, when in reality it has only been a few hours.  You drew back and took a deep breath.  “I thought since I couldn’t keep you in bed with me this morning and you’ll be late coming home after visiting Chansung in the hospital, I could bring you lunch.”  He could see your brow constrict and raise as you tried to smile reassuringly at him.  “I know it’s weird, but I have this feeling of just wanting to be next to you.”

 

He shook his head as he brushed his thumb across your cheek.  “It’s not weird.  It’s just a little unfamiliar to you.  I think you’re just finally beginning to love me.”

 

You turned your head to hide the deepening blush on your cheeks.  “So…is there something in particular that you want?  I packed a few things and I’m not even sure if you would like any of them.  Lunch is important.  You shouldn’t skip it.”

 

He smiled as he watched you ramble, avoiding his eyes.  “I want you for lunch.”  He cupped your face in his hands and kissed you again, gently, but with a steadiness that seeped into your bones that made you feel alive.

 

“On your desk?”  You undid the buttons of his coat and then slid your arms around his waist, wanting to be as close as possible.  “Or on your couch?”

 

“Would you?”

 

“Uhm.”  You nodded.

 

He pulled back from you and looked straight at your face.  Your lips were wet and parted and you’re your breathing was coming in audible little pants.  “Seriously?  Right now?  That’s okay with you?”  He asked in disbelief.

 

“Just as long as we don’t let the people outside hear.”  You giggled with your cheeks flushed and your eyes bright and dark.  “I swear I’ll do anything you want me to today.”

 

“Come with me.”  Taecyeon grabbed your hand and pulled you along with him.