Chapter 14

A New Beginning at 26

The morning sun tapped against your face, chasing away the last remnants of a dream rendering you awake.  It was a good dream or more like a memory playing back in your head, something about your childhood with Taec, playing at the swings, eating something sweet.  Most of the details are fading fast, but the general idea was being together…happily.  With a mental sigh you rubbed the sleep from your eyes with a yawn.  You have not gotten used to this bed or to this room and everything to you still seems a little strange.

 

You get up and out of the room and strolled sleepy-eyed towards the kitchen, where you find a busy Taecyeon preparing breakfast while whistling a tune.  You stopped a few distance away from him to gaze at the man whom you knew as a boy.  He has changed indeed, Taecyeon who has gotten taller and bigger through the years.  You stared in amazement at the way his muscles cling so strongly to his structure giving so much beauty to his physique.

 

“You’re all grown up.” you whispered while you stared at him.

 

Taecyeon feeling another presence in the room, turned around and found you staring at him.  “Good morning.” he greeted you with his morning smile.  “How are you feeling?”

 

“Good morning and I’m feeling so much better, thank you for asking.” you greeted him back combing your fingers through your hair as you approached him carefully.  “Let me help.”

 

“No.  You sit your little self down over there while I serve you breakfast in a short while.” he said pointing you to a chair.  “You shouldn’t be up and about.  You still need to rest.  In fact I was actually going to serve you breakfast in bed, you just -.”

 

“Don’t exaggerate.” you said refusing to take a seat and insisting on helping in the kitchen.

 

“I wasn’t exaggerating.  You were admitted at the hospital, remember?” Taecyeon pointed at you with the spatula.

 

“I was discharged – overnight.” you shrugged.

 

“On the condition that you will be resting at home.” His head bobbed with his vigorous enunciation of each word.

 

“I’m supposed to be the one preparing you breakfast.” you said scrunching your face together as he watches you come nearer, your bare feet slapping against the floor.

 

“And why is that?”

 

“I’m the wife.” you said as you looked up to his eyes, your lips curved in a disdainful sneer.  “How can I play wife if you won’t let me take care of you?”

 

Taecyeon’s mouth fell open as he looks at you in confusion.  To him, you seem different.  It was like you took something before you slept and now that you’re awake you’re suddenly somewhat sweet and easier to talk to as compared to when you would confront him like a lunatic with your usual scowl.  To him it seems like the old you is back.

 

You pushed your hip to the side and rested your hand on it.  “What?” you asked before your lips tightened into a thin line that curved to the slightest degree downward on each side.  You scowled at him again as he silently wished for your smile to comeback.

 

“Nothing.” he said dismissively shaking his head lightly at you.  “It’s just that – you’re suddenly nice to me.  Not that you’re not, but –“

 

“Why?  Would you rather have me be mean to you?” you hissed at him.

 

“No.” he smirked.  “I guess it’s safe to assume that you don’t hate me anymore.”

 

“I never really hated you Taec.  I was mad, but I don’t think I ever really hated you.  Despite being brash, I don’t think I could even be capable of hating anyone.”  Your mouth firmed as you looked down to the ground.  “Not at the beach, not when we parted years ago, not even when you didn’t even visit me at the hospital even if it was just overnight.”

 

“I was there.”  Taecyeon tips your chin up so you would be looking at him again.  “I stayed outside your room just in case you still feel uncomfortable with me being around you.  But I was there.”

 

“You’re not there if I didn’t see you.”  You rolled your eyes at him as you pushed him lightly away from you.  You walk over to the cold kitchen counter where you rested your hands.

 

“I was there when you were speaking with Chansung.”  His fists rested on his hips as he glared at you, wrinkles appearing between his brows.  “Speaking of which, how could you forgive him just like that?”  The throbbing muscle in his jaw betrayed him, giving away how truly furious he was even when he kept his voice under control.

 

“What do you mean just like that?  I –“ you started, but Taecyeon cuts you off as you turned to face him again.

 

“I mean, I don’t get it.”  He his head to the side.  “He made us miserable for all these years.  He made us this way, don’t you remember?  So how in the world could you just forgive him just like that?  Does he mean that much to you?”

 

“Maybe it’s because he was with me when you weren’t.”  You blew out a mouthful of air as you ran your fingers through your hair.

 

“Don’t I mean anything to you?  And you know that wasn’t my fault.” Taecyeon worked his jaw from side to side as he closed his eyes and took a deep breath.  “I wasn’t there by your side because he lied to us both.” He yelled.

 

“I waited for you Taec.  Whatever Chansung said, I waited for you.  You should’ve come for me…lie or no lie…you should’ve come back for me.  I waited for you.  I wore that stupid necklace waiting for you.  I kept the door open for you the other night and waited for you to be by my side.  I waited for you to come back the morning after that and then I waited for you to come visit me at hospital.  All I ever do is wait for you and you have the nerve to ask me if you mean nothing to me?”  Your voice was getting louder and your pitch higher as you tried to blink back the tears burning in your eyes.

 

 

Taecyeon’s head whirled as all the pieces snapped into place and made a painfully clear image.  He broke her.  He was the one she trusted the most and he betrayed that trust.  For someone who claims to have loved her so much, he made her painfully wait for him one too many times.

 

“Why would you wait for me?”  Taecyeon ran his fingers through your hair, pushing it back out of your face.

 

“Because!” you yelled out loud, stomping your foot like a child as you took half a step back away from him.  Looking on the floor as tears welled in your eyes.

 

“Because what?” His face softened as he watched you fight for words.

 

“Because…because…I’m home when I’m with you.  No matter how much I pushed you away, that’s how I felt.” you muttered under your breath as he watched you slightly tremble with a confession.

 

“Do you know what you just said?  I mean do you know what that means?” He took one step towards you and cradled your face in his hands.

 

“I…I don’t…I mean…I’m not…I…” you stuttered as you tried to avoid his eyes and pull away from him as fast as you could.

 

Taecyeon looks at you confused.  The tears in your eyes tore at him.  But your indecisiveness is making his brows come together in anger.  “You just can’t say things like that and just….I…you always do this…you always…”

 

He paused to look at you intently and then his hands suddenly grab your face.  He leans in and plants a kiss on your lips.  You were too surprised to react at that time that you just stood there frozen.  His kiss was so intense that he was pushing you further against the counter that it was starting to hurt.  He then pulls away gently as a faint blush tinted your face.

 

“I…” he said as he looked at you with once again apologetic eyes.  But you cut him off before he could even start saying sorry by pressing your lips on his.  Your lips felt warm against his and it made you feel like you never want to stop kissing him as you rest your hands on the back of his neck deepening the kiss.  You both pulled away from the kiss slightly to get the much needed air.

 

“Is it okay if I kiss you again?” Taecyeon asked with much difficulty as he catches his breath.

 

“Do you want to kiss me again?” you asked back as your fingers play with the hair on the back of his head.

 

Taecyeon picks you up and sits you on the cold kitchen counter, his hand resting on your waist as he leans in with his lips hovering over yours for one long moment.  It is making it hard for you to breath with the anticipation of his lips on yours.  He finally closed the infinitesimal distance between your lips and his.  Right then, there was that breathless feeling sending your body into a little bit of an oxygen debt that only further intensifies all your senses making you feel his skin, his breath, his caress and the faintest hint of tongue as your lips part to explore each other’s mouths.  You shivered when he trailed his hand down your bare arm while he swallowed nervously as you touched his chest down to his well-sculpted abs.

 

“What are we doing?” you asked without your lips parting from his.

 

“Making up for lost time.” he said as grabbed your thighs to pull you closer to him.