Chapter 34

A New Beginning at 26

Left over right, right over left, knot, insert through loop …

 

You stood in front of your husband carefully doing his necktie in your silver sand strapless flowing gown that he had bought for you especially for this day.

 

Done.

 

You smiled as you examined your work and noticed how perfect the tie looked on Taecyeon.  “Perfect?”  He whispered with a deep cooing voice as his fingertip trailed over your bare shoulder with a lazy elegance.  His touch and his seductive smile making your breath come faster in anticipation.

 

“As always.”  Your pupils flared and your lips parted on a quiet gasp as you watch his lips curved in a smirk.  He had heard the sound of your definite interest and he would certainly like to take advantage of that.  He kissed your bare shoulder as he slid an arm around you.  Quiet moments were few and far between lately and you both made the most of every one you could find.  You leaned against Taecyeon, resting your head on his shoulder, inhaling the subtle scent that he always carried.  It was the most calming thing you had ever found.

 

“Tell me love,”  He whispered against your ear and you could feel the faintest scratch of his chin against your jaw.  “Wouldn’t it be nice if we undo everything and …”

 

“No.”  You stuck your tongue out at him as you moved back a few steps.  “We’re already late as it is and besides…”  You were cut off by the image of your five-year-old child streaking past your bedroom.  “Calila!”  You shouted as you ran after her.  “Put your dress back on!”  You could hear Taecyeon’s laughter from the other room resounding loudly.

 

You shook your head and headed towards Calila’s room and was surprised to find her seating on the floor trying to put on her yellow chick costume.  You sat with her and lifted her face gently.  “Darling, we’re running late.  Let’s put your pretty dress back on and head to Great Granpapa’s party, okay?”

 

“Do I have to?”  Calila pouts and mumble something indecipherable.

 

“Yes love.  You’re five and we can’t very well leave you at home by yourself.”  Taecyeon stops as he steps inside the room.  It was the most adorable thing he had ever seen, his wife and his daughter on the floor trying to negotiate.

 

“I’ll be good.”  She smiled and lifted her scrunched up face for a kiss.

 

Taecyeon gave her one of her favorite fish kisses making her giggle.  “I’m sure you would be honey, but Mommy and Daddy could get arrested and go to prison if we left you home alone.”  He said patting the top of Calila’s head gently.

 

“But I won’t open the door to nobody.”  She insisted, putting one balled up little fist on her hip.

 

“I’m sure you won’t, but Great Grandpapa would be sad if you don’t come.”  Taecyeon said and you nodded thoughtfully the ends of hair.

 

“Alright.”  She sighed loudly.  “But can I wear this?”  Calila raised the yellow chick costume she was trying on.  “Please mommy, please!”  She spoke with a hint of a lisp.

 

You took a deep breath and counted.  “No honey, I’m sorry, but you can’t.  It’s not right for the party.”

 

“But Uncle Wooyoung gave this to me.”  Her little pig tails bobbing energetically.

 

“And that’s the reason why I’m going to strangle Uncle Wooyoung later for that stupid gift.”  You turned to Taecyeon who doubled over to keep from laughing.  You gave him the stink-eye and he held up his hands innocently.

 

“Don’t you want to look pretty in a beautiful dress, Calila?”  Taecyeon tried to coax her daughter by holding up the silver little ball gown with trimmed with flowers that she took off down the hall.  “It looks just like Mommy’s.  Don’t you want to look like Mommy?”

 

The little girl tapped her chin several times, a mannerism she had picked up from her father.  “Hmmm…We will Uncle Chansung be there?”

 

“I’m not quite sure.”  You shook your head.  “Why?”

 

“I wanna look pretty only if Uncle Chansung is there.”

 

“Don’t you want to look pretty for Daddy?”  Taecyeon said with a hint of bitterness in his tone.

 

“Daddy said I’m pretty all the time.”  Calila argued running to his lap for a hug.

 

“Well, you are!”  He hugs her tight.  “Your Uncle Chansung must be busy making you a little baby cousin with your Aunt Mone.”  Taecyeon laughs and you hit him on the arm.

 

“A baby?”  Calila’s eyes light up.  “How can Uncle Chansung make a baby with Aunt Mone?”

 

“You’re answering that one.”  You had an ‘it serves you right’ look on your face as you stood up to sit on the bed ready to listen for an explanation of baby making to a five-year-old child.

 

“Let me give him a call.”  Taecyeon pulls his mobile out of his pocket and hands you the little dress while he stood up to move away from Calila.  “Chansung.”

 

“Hyung.”  Chansung said over the phone.  “What’s up?”

 

“When Calila asks…you’ll be at the party and she should wear a pretty dress.”  He whispers.  “And explain the baby thing as best as you can.”

 

“Baby?  What baby?”  Chansung asked, but Taecyeon has already transferred the phone into Calila’s hand.

 

Taecyeon sat beside you on the edge of the bed.  “Smart.”  You nodded as you complimented your husband, watching quietly as Calila talks on the phone.  ”Thank you.”

 

“For what?”  Taecyeon looks at you.

 

“For giving me that.”  You pointed with your lips pursed towards Calila who’s happily talking with his Uncle Chansung.  “And for giving me this.”  You took his hand and laced your fingers with his.

 

Taecyeon kissed you on the cheek and looked deep in your eyes.  “You gave me so much more.  You gave me a life I wanted to live.”

 

It was a simple conversation, though no less meaningful for its simplicity.  All that was really said in between was I love you.

 

-End-