Chapter 13

A New Beginning at 26

You woke up to a pounding headache and a pounding noise in your door along with the annoying sound of the doorbell that just kept on ringing no matter how much you try to ignore it.  You rolled out of bed half-awake covered in your blanket feeling absolutely horrible like someone hit you on the head with a brick, your body freezing despite the well-insulated house.  You couldn’t breathe, your throat hurt, having a terrible headache, a grueling stomachache and an overall nauseous feeling that you just can’t shake off.

 

You trudge towards the living room to find an empty couch and look around some more with your heavy eyes to search for the missing Taecyeon.  “Is that him on the door?” you thought to yourself as you answer the door, rubbing your sleep filled eyes with your hand as you yawned.  “If it’s him I’ll kill him for making me get up.”

 

You swung the door open to find your brother staring at you blankly.

 

“You look awful.” Wooyoung whispered under his breath with a look of concern written all over his face.

 

“I feel awful.” you said along with a sneeze.  “What are you doing here?”

 

“I came to check up on you.” he said as he brushed past you to enter the house and sit on the couch comfortably while you hold your aching head.  “Where’s Taec hyung?”

 

“No idea.” you muttered clutching the blanket closer to your body.  You sat on the couch beside him hugging your knees close to your cold body.

 

“Why are you here noona?” Wooyoung asked making you squint at his inquiry.

 

“Seriously?  Are you senile?  This is actually where I live now.” you sputtered shaking your head as you reach for a box of tissues.

 

“No, I meant…why run here?” he replied with a straight face.  “Why not just run away.  I could help you or I could run away with you.”

 

“And get you thrown out by mom along with me?” you said before blowing your nose once again.

 

“I can’t see you like this.” Wooyoung said commiserating with you with pity in his eyes.

 

“You’re pitying me too much that it’s beginning to be insulting.” you scowled at Wooyoung before leaning your head back feeling lightheaded.

 

“I don’t understand why you won’t just put an end to all this.” Wooyoung said folding his arms over his chest in dissatisfaction.  “It’s not like you have anything invested on this.  You have your own job, your own life.  It’s not like you’ll get anything from this either.  I mean, Taec hyung gets his grandpa’s company and what do you get?  Nothing.”

 

“Woo…”

 

“I’m worried about you noona.”

 

“I understand.  And I appreciate it.” you said idly scratching Wooyoung’s shoulder in affection.  “You know, yesterday was an eye opener to me.” you said looking at him trying to explain things as simple as you can.  “With mom acting the way she did, it made me rethink my worth.  And the truth of the matter is, I can only be mother’s daughter if I remain Taecyeon’s wife.“

 

“Who cares about what mom thinks.” Wooyoung stubbornly asserted with a pout.

 

“I’m going to miss you if I get disowned.” you said ruffling his hair with a grin.  “And besides, I don’t think I could live with myself if anything should happen to grandpa.  Remember the last time in the hospital?”

 

“Uhm.” Wooyoung nodded slowly as you sneezed once again.  “Noona, if you’re sick you should visit your doctor.”

 

“I’m fine.” you insisted.  “I’m just a little tired.  From too much crying I guess.”

 

“Where’s Taec hyung anyway?  How can he leave you alone knowing you’re sick?”

 

“He doesn’t know.  And Woo…I’d appreciate if you apologize to him for hitting him yesterday.”

 

“Why should I?” Wooyoung angrily argued.  “He hurt you first, I was just-“

 

“Even so…it’s not right for you to be hitting people because of me.” you said.  “Besides, he’s really not as bad as you think or I think – maybe.”

 

“Whatever!” Wooyoung stubbornly said.

 

“So, how did you know I was here anyway?” you asked before sneezing once again.

 

“Well, your husband called our mother.” Wooyoung said with a hint of mockery.

 

“Does mom know you’re here?”

 

“No.” he shakes his head lightly.

 

“Do you really want to get in trouble too?” you asked narrowing your eyes at him and Wooyoung in turn showing you his cutest face.  “Well, have you had anything to eat?” you said giving in to his usual wet puppy antics.

 

“No.”

 

“Do you want to have breakfast with me?”

 

“How about that pancake house around the corner?  You’re buying right?” he answered with a huge grin.

 

“Alright, I’m buying, but you’re driving.” you coughed to clear your throat.

 

“Fine by me.” he said dangling the keys up.

 

“Let me just wash up and change.”

 

You stood up quickly to your wobbly feet and started towards your room in a grimace from feeling dizzy.  Your heart was racing beneath your ribs and your surrounding felt as if it was spinning around your head too fast for you to keep up and catch your breath.  Suddenly – there was nothing but a dark heavy cloud over you.  You fell to the floor unconscious with a thud.

 

---- A few hours after ----

 

You come to consciousness feeling confused and surprised to find a worried-looking Chansung by your bed side.  All you could recall is how you were having a conversation this morning with your brother, Wooyoung and then nothing after that.  You snapped back into reality and realized you are in a hospital.

 

Chansung said your name as he saw you open your eyes.  “It’s good that you’re awake.  How do you feel?” Chansung whispered holding your hand.

 

“I don’t know.” you replied with the little strength you have.  “What happened?” you asked looking at the IV on your hand.

 

“You fainted.  The doctor said you have a high fever and you came here dehydrated.” Chansung explained.  “Wooyoung was very concerned.  I think he got a little scared seeing you that way.  He brought you here as fast as he could.  He couldn’t contact Taec, so he called me.”

 

“Where is he?  Is he alright?” you croaked.

 

“Wooyoung?  No need to worry, he’s just filling up a few papers at the nurse’s station.” Chansung said your forehead.  “Is this my fault?”

 

“No.” you answered shaking your head.  “I got careless.  Forgot to eat the whole day yesterday, stayed out in the cold where I must’ve caught something, etc., etc.  So basically this isn’t your fault.”

 

“Are you still mad at me?” he asked inching closer, holding your hand a little tighter.

 

“I was disappointed and hurt.  Mad… I was, but maybe not anymore.  I guess in a way I understand why.  Though I don’t completely comprehend the reason behind it – I prefer to think it was because you loved me.”

 

“I do love you.  I know whatever I say will only sound as excuses, but the truth is I did what I did because I was crazy, stupidly in love with you.” he sighed.  “So, what happens now?”

 

“You better apologize to Taecyeon too.  While I…well…I plan to be who I promised to be.  At least for a year I need to be Taecyeon’s wife, his good wife.”

 

“Then after that?”

 

“Then after that we get divorced and then I could live my life as me again.” you said feeling faint.  “I guess it’s like taking a break from being me for a year.”

 

“Then for a year I’ll try to live my life and live with the fact that you are someone else’s wife.” Chansung said close to tears.  “And then after that torturous one year…I could go back to loving you freely again.”

 

“I don’t think it’s wise to wait for me.  I love you, but not the same -” you said as you begin to drift off to sleep again.

 

“I know.” Chansung whispered as he stares at you while you fall back to slumber.  “I know.  But that’s all I know best to do –loving you.” A tear began to cascade down his cheek as he leaned closer to plant a kiss on your forehead before leaving your side.

 

Chansung goes out the door only to be met by Taecyeon who stood by outside with a sullen look on his face, both hands shoved in his pockets.

 

“Have you been standing there long?” Chansung asked.

 

“Long enough.” Taecyeon answered plainly.

 

“Don’t expect an apology.  I won’t give it.” Chansung smirked.

 

“I didn’t presume you would do as she tells you.” Taecyeon said.

 

“Eavesdropping is a very bad habit.” Chansung said before he walked past him.

 

“Coveting is an even worse habit.” Taecyeon retorted as he held the door open.  “Don’t push your luck with me kid.  My patience is about to run out.”

 

Taecyeon walked inside the room to find you still asleep.  He came over to the bed and bended over you, whispering in your ear.  “How can you forgive him for lying to us and not forgive me for hurting you out of jealousy?  How I wish you would.  How I wish you could wake and love me once again.”

 

You were asleep, but somehow at that moment, for reasons you might never know…you felt an odd sense of nostalgia coming from a quiet voice and a warm feeling in your skin.  It felt cozy, safe and familiar.