Chapter 16

A New Beginning at 26

After a morning of surprises, kisses and confessions, the day has finally come to an end cueing in the start of the night.  From the outside, the grandiose house was quiet.  And though the moon is not visible tonight, the house emitted its own light from the inside.

 

You have been here one too many times before.  It was to you something you could call a second home.  But tonight was different as you stood in front of the old house with sweaty palms and your heart pacing rapidly, your feet unable to take another step towards the door.

 

You were about to move back when you felt Taecyeon’s hand brush down the length of your arm before linking his hand with yours.  His eyes roamed over your low-cut blue dress, leaving your arms and the better part of your legs bare, both equally inviting to his touch.  “Did I tell you, you look wonderful?” Taecyeon asked with a silly smile as his eyes followed the line of your necklace down to the glimpse of your cleavage before he yanked his eyes back to your face.

 

“And where were you looking just now?”  You yanked up the neckline of your dress and arched your eyebrow high up at him with a slight hint of a smile at the corner of your lips.

 

“At…you.”  His eyes widened as he fixed his eyes on your face with a guilty look.

 

You laughed delightedly as you closed the distance between you.  Somehow your nervousness has gone away with his mere touch.  “I thought you were looking at the necklace you gave me.”  You said as you touched the pendant that lies in your chest, making him look at its direction once again.

 

“That too.”  He stuttered as his ears began to turn red.

 

“Focus Dumbo.”

 

“Yes.  Right.  Sorry.” Taecyeon’s hand rubbed at his forehead.

 

You reached over to smooth down the collar of his white long sleeved shirt.  You like this look on him.  Somehow you feel it adds to his appeal, not that it’s possible to add another iota of appeal into him without him turning into a god, but the white long sleeved shirt just does it for you.

 

You heard him inhale deeply as you rested your hands on his broad shoulders, working to straighten the stiff collar around his neck.  “You smell good.”  He softly said as he never took his eyes off yours and suddenly you realized how close you were to him.

 

“Feel free to take a whiff.”  You joked with a smile.

 

Taecyeon gently moved your hair away from your neck, his fingers brushing lightly against your skin.  He then leaned in and nuzzled the soft skin at the base of your ear, seeking out the spot where you applied your perfume to take in that scent.  His breath was grazing that part of your skin causing all types of little electrical shocks to run down your body.  “I like it.”  He whispered.

 

You pulled back before you could finish straightening his collar and you could see his wicked smile gracing his full sensuous lips that seemed too dangerously close to yours.  “We should head in.” you said as a deep tint colors your cheeks.

 

“Should we?” he asked still with a smile.

 

“Shouldn’t we?”  Your face crinkled in confusion.  Was he trying to tell you to ditch the family dinner he earlier said was important for the both of you to attend?

 

“Are you feeling a little less nervous?”  he asked as he held your hand again, your fingers intertwined.

 

“Uhm.” you nodded.

 

“Then let’s go meet the family.”  His hand tightened around hers.  “If you feel uncomfortable in anyway, just squeeze my hand and I’ll take you out of there.”

 

“Just like before?”  You asked as the memory of Taecyeon as a child passes your mind, when he would hold your hand and take the crying you far away from your angry mom.

 

“Yes, just like before.”  He squeezed your hand and brought it against his mouth to kiss it.

 

You were silent together for a few minutes as you went up to the door to ring the bell.  The help opens for you both and leads you to where both your families have gathered.  All eyes were on you or to be specific on your intertwined hands as you moved about the room and your greetings to everyone…your mother included.

 

“It’s good to see you both getting along.”  Grandfather greeted happily.  “Should I be expecting my great grandchildren anytime soon?”

 

“Grandpa.”  You shook your head in utter embarrassment as you ran a hand through your hair.

 

“Well, I’m just saying.  I’m not getting any younger and I would love to see those little ones before I die.”

 

“We’ll get there grandpa.  Don’t rush it.  Let’s start with the great grandchild then grandchildren.” Taecyeon teased earning him a slap in the shoulder from you.

 

“Maybe I should’ve changed the conditions.  Maybe I should’ve said you get to run the company when you give me a great grandchild instead of just the marriage.”  The old man laughed while you and Taecyeon awkwardly look at each other.

 

“Grandpa, she  – “ Taecyeon mumbled as he rubbed at his throat uncomfortably.

 

“Oh! Don’t worry.  I know all about it.”  You interrupted, nodding emphatically.  “I know about the marriage equals company thing.  Woo and Chansung hinted me on it.”

 

Taecyeon tightens his grip on your hand as he tried his best to clear the issue.  “But that’s not the only reason I agreed to marry you.  I would’ve even if –“

 

“I know.”  You smiled as you shook your hand that he holds.  “I know.  Don’t worry.  Unless of course there is something else you’re hiding from me.”

 

“No.  No.” The two men shake their heads with a guilty look on their faces.

 

From your peripheral vision you could see your mother walking over to your direction, a sight you’ve been dreading the whole time.  “Alright.  Well, I’ll go get something to drink.” you grinned.  “My lips are beginning to dry.”

 

“Leave your husband here for a while.  There are things we need to discuss.”  The old man said as he patted Taecyeon on the shoulder.

 

“Sure.”

 

“Will you be alright on your own?” Taecyeon asked and you nodded as you let go of his hand.

 

“She won’t leave the country.  It’s just the other room.”  The old man teased giving Taecyeon a slap on the back.

 

You walked into the other room to get yourself something to drink.  You were pouring yourself a glass of raspberry juice when Chansung came up to you from behind.

 

“Now what do I have to do to get you to smile my way too?” Chansung asked walking towards you.  You could feel his presence standing close behind you.

 

“You have to show your face to me every once in a while.”  You laughed nervously as he rests his hand on your waist.  “I’m getting a feeling that you’ve been avoiding us.”

 

“How can I when you look so happy with Taec?”

 

“Do I look that happy?” you grinned, showing your teeth to him.

 

“Don’t you hate him anymore?” Chansung’s brows scrunched together.

 

“I really never had a reason too…remember?” You gave him a guilty grin and then sighed.

 

You stared at each other for several seconds as the reasons behind you and Taecyeon hated each other all those years began to once again sink in.  Chansung’s eyes closed and he swallowed back the anger and jealousy twisting his jaw.

 

“I wish you wouldn’t wear these kinds of dresses.” Chansung said after he cleared his throat to change the subject.  “It gets very distracting.”  He smiled foolishly staring at you so possessively.

 

“I miss stupid you.  So, when you’re all done feeling guilty and being prideful…it would be nice for the three of us to get back to being friends.”

 

“I never liked that concept of the three of us.”  Chansung ran his fingers down the side of her cheek.  “I like it when it’s just us.”

 

“Chansung…It doesn’t work that way anymore.”  You muttered under your breath as you shook your head.

 

“What doesn’t work?” T aecyeon said as he walked over to you and Chansung with a smile.  He grabbed you by the waist pulling you closer to his side away from Chansung in an instant.  “You took too long getting the drinks, I thought something might have happened.”  He looked at Chansung, his nostrils flaring as he tried his best to calm down.  “Seems like something did.”

 

“We were just catching up.  I haven’t seen him for quite some time.”  You draped your arm behind Taecyeon and patted him on the back.

 

“Anyway, grandpa wants to talk to you about something.” Taecyeon said with a forced smile as he looked at you.  “Let’s go?”

 

“Chansung?” you turned to Chansung.

 

“Go ahead.” He gave a smile that looked so sad as you and Taecyeon left the room.

 

“What was that?” Taecyeon whispered as you walked.

 

“We were just catching up.”

 

“I didn’t like it.”  Taecyeon smoothed down his shirt.

 

“What ‘s not to like?”  You turned to him.

 

“You and Chansung being too close.  And it's that dress.  I don't like that dress.  It gives away too much.”

 

“Dumbo, you’re jealous!” you teased.

 

“Of course I am!” he answered back and then stuck a tongue out at you.  “You’re my Snuggles….mine.”  He pulls you close to him in a tight embrace.