Chapter 9

A New Beginning at 26

The sun’s piercing rays have reached and lingered on their faces for a while now, tapping on their skin incessantly as if to wake them up, carefully chasing away their dreams.  But neither one has moved an inch from each other’s embrace as they kept their eyes shut and their bodies together in a tangled mess of limbs.  One more hour and it will be noon and for the first time in a long while they have both had a deep, peaceful sleep.  One they weren’t able to have for some time since they parted ways years ago.

 

Taecyeon moaned as he begins to blink his eyes, slowly opening them against the peaking sunlight from a crack in the curtains.  He yawns and fully opened his eyes to find you still fast asleep in his arms.  A gentle smile appears from his face as he lights up from the sight of you.  You begin to stir in your sleep as well, rubbing your hand on his warm chest as the last remnants of sleep are steadily pushed away from your head.

 

“Good morning Snuggles.” Taecyeon greeted you lovingly as he the arm you had on him with his fingers.

 

“Mornin.” you said with a yawn as you begin to open your eyes, rubbing the fog away from your eyes.

 

You stretched some more only to have a strange feeling that you’re not where you’re supposed to be.  A warm chest is under your hand and you had no choice but to gaze up to see the owner of the body you have clung on to for so long.  You looked and saw Taecyeon looking at you with a smile.

 

“Could this be a dream?” you thought to yourself, but you realized soon enough that you are fully awake and you are indeed where you are at the moment.

 

Surprised, you pushed Taecyeon with every force you can muster in your body and him being caught unaware, fell instantly from the bed hitting his forehead on the side table before his body was thrown on the floor.

 

“Ouch!” he screamed as he fell with a loud thump.  “What was that for?”

 

“Oh !  Oh !  Oh !” you said repeatedly as you sat on the bed unsure of what to do.

 

“God!  That hurt!” he said as you see his head pop out from beside the bed.  “Are you alright?” he said looking at you while he still sits on the floor holding his head making it seem like he cared more about you than him when he was the one who fell.

 

“Uhm.” you nodded as you looked at him still in shock.

 

“FYI, I didn’t do anything to you while you slept.” he said in a serious tone.

 

“I know.  I’m sorry.” you muttered softly under your breath.

 

“Then what’s with the violence as soon as you woke up?” he asked with a snicker.

 

“I’m really sorry.” you said as you knelt in bed, clasping your hands together.  “I was just surprised, shocked and scared all together.  Really sorry.  Are you alright?”

 

“That’s fine.” he said with a laugh.  “You really got stronger you know that?”

 

“Oh gosh!” you exclaimed as you pointed at his face.  “You’re bleeding!”

 

“What?” he said with wide eyes, touching his forehead and then looking at his hand to find it blood-tinged.

 

“Does it hurt?” you said as you hurried to his side on the floor.

 

“Now it does.” he said as he winced in pain.

 

“I’ll get something for that.  Don’t move.” you said in panic as you stood up to find your first aid kit in your luggage.

 

Taecyeon stares at you as you go about the room in a hurry rummaging through your things to find your kit.  You sat back on the floor near him to take a closer look at his forehead, your faces inches away from his.  You shake your head in regret for what you caused as you took out some cotton and Betadine.

 

“What’s with the first aid kit?” Taecyeon asked with a smirk as you dab the cotton on his wound.

 

“I’m clumsy so I usually use it.” you answered while you blew on his wound while you cleaned it.

 

“That’s weird.” he said with a smile as he looked straight at you, almost hiding the pain in his eyes.

 

“What is?” you said looking at him.  “That I’m clumsy?”

 

“You’ve always been clumsy.  But you’ve gotten stronger and prettier.” he admitted making you blush as you see your face in his eyes.

 

“Shut up!” you said shyly as you averted his gaze by getting an ointment from your kit.

 

“But you have become prettier.  Especially beautiful upon waking up.  I’d like to see that every day.” he said.

 

“Stop talking, will you?” you said.

 

“Yes ma’am!” Taecyeon said with a grin.  “Anything you say.”

 

“Taec, shut up.  I mean it.” you said as you apply medicine on his wound.  “I can’t concentrate on this.”

 

“For how long?” he asked teasingly.

 

“Until I say you can speak again.” you said as his stare makes you nervous.

 

“Hmmm…and when will that be?” he asked being more annoying.

 

“At the rate you’re going…maybe never.” you said as you took a bandage from your kit.  “Do you want me to drill my finger in your wound?”

 

“No, but I just wanna…” he said before you cut him off by putting your hand over his mouth, while your other hand placed the bandage on his wound.

 

“Al…..right….done!” you said as you finished fixing him up, when you felt his lips pursed touching your palm, like he kissed it.

 

You immediately took your hand away from his lips and stood up quickly to leave, but Taecyeon holds on to your ankle before you could completely walk away.

 

“Thanks.” he said as he held on to you.

 

“You’re welcome.” you said.  “It’s my fault anyway.”

 

“Well, since you put it that way…sit.” he said and you complied.

 

“What?” you asked feeling flushed and red in embarrassment.

 

“I had a real good sleep.” Taecyeon said as he touched the ends of your hair that hang down your shoulders.  “How was yours?”

 

“Like always.” you answered softly as your heart began to race.

 

“So you always sleep like that and wake up late?” he asked.

 

“Not really.” you answered as you shook your head.  “Actually, I don’t remember the last time I slept this long.  Did I drool on you?” you asked with a laugh.

 

“I think you did.” Taecyeon said as he laughed with you looking at his shirt.

 

“I didn’t!” you said hitting him lightly on the chest as Taecyeon caught your hand in his.

 

“I don’t mind sleeping like that every night and waking up each day with you in my arms.” he said as he holds your hand.

 

“What are you saying?” you said.

 

“Well, since we’re already like this, why not…” he said.

 

“Taec, you shouldn’t settle just because things turned out this way.” you said.  “This won’t even last long.”

 

“Don’t say that.” Taecyeon said as he slowly moved his face closer to yours.  “I’m not settling.”

 

He steadily leaned even closer as you froze, unmoving, unsure why you are letting this happen.  Your mind is telling you to push him away, but your body doesn’t seem to want to follow.  You could feel his hot breath on your lips as the space between you tightens.  Your lips were almost touching his when your phone suddenly rings bringing you back to your senses.  You turned your head away making Taecyeon move back.  He sighed as he hangs his head down while you took your phone to answer.

“Hello.” you answered your phone as Taecyeon looks at you.

 

“It’s me.” Chansung said on the other line.  “Can I see you?  I need to talk to you.”

 

“I’m at the beach.” you whispered as you turned your back on Taecyeon.

 

“I know.  I’m outside.  I’ll wait for you here.  I don’t mind how long.  I’ll stay here and wait for you.” Chansung said.

 

“Alright.” you said before you hung up.

 

“Who is it?” Taecyeon asked as he stood up to walk towards you.

 

“Chansung oppa.” you said.

 

“Missed you already?’ he asked teasingly.

 

“I guess.” you answered with a nervous smile.

 

“That kid seems to cling to you too much.” he said.  “So what do you want to do today?”

 

“Taec, do you mind if I take a walk outside for a while?” you said.

 

“Alright, I’ll go with you.” Taecyeon said.

 

“No.  I want to go alone.” you said.

 

“Why?” he asked curiously.

 

“Well, I need…ahh…a little time….to think and be by myself.” you said stuttering.

 

“Alright.” Taecyeon said nodding lightly.  “Be careful…and…don’t forget to come back.”