Chapter 10

A New Beginning at 26

The sun was shining making the sand glisten in its light.  The beach was quiet except for the sound of the waves crashing against the shore and the faint cry of the seagulls flying about to catch their next meal.  From a distance you saw Chansung walking along the shore holding his shoes while he feels the tiny grains of sand beneath his feet.  It was a beautiful picture of a handsome man against such a serene backdrop and you stood by for a moment to take in the view.

 

“Chansung oppa!” you called out to him as you approach him with light steps.

 

“Hey!  I thought you’ll never show up.” he said turning towards you with a faint smile meeting you halfway.

 

“Why wouldn’t I?  Why are you here anyway?” you asked as you shove both hands inside the pocket of your shorts while you played with the sand with your feet.

 

“Are you alright?” he asked, his smile fading slowly as he rubs his throat nervously.

 

“Uhm.” you replied with a nod.  “Why, what’s wrong?”

 

“Well…you know…you and Taec were alone together…I just…well…I wanted to make sure you’re alright.” he said with a genuinely worried look on his face.

 

“I’m fine.  I don’t think you have anything to worry about.” you said soothing his fears.  “Is that all you came here for?” you said as you sat on the sand looking at the small waves seemingly reaching out to you.

 

“Are you still mad at me?” Chansung asked as he sat beside you.

 

“My being mad at you can only last for a week at most.” you said linking your arm to his as you rested your head on his shoulder.

 

You both stayed that way for a while, leaning on each other as you looked at the seagulls flying about.  Enjoying the cool breeze touching your face as the sun warms your skin.

 

“Has it been a week?” he said swallowing hard.

 

“Uhm.” you said comfortably.  “Just don’t do it again and we’ll have no problem at all.  It’ll be like it never happened.  We can just forget that part in our lives.”

 

“Of course I won’t do it again.” Chansung said as he held your hand holding his arm, a sigh of relief escaped his lips as a faint smile appears on his face.

 

“Good.” you said looking far into the horizon.

 

“I was a kid then and don’t know better.  I plead guilty due to youth and ignorance.” he said with a deep sigh.  “I’m glad you can forgive me, even if I destroyed the what-might-have-been between you two?” Chansung said as he rests his head on yours.

 

“What are you talking about?” you asked confused as you look at him.

 

“What do you mean what am I talking about?  I’m talking about the letter thing.” Chansung said with a hitch in his voice.

 

“What letter thing?” you asked as one of your eyebrows arched at him.

 

“Haven’t you spoken with Taec yet?” he asked with a squint.

 

“I have, but there was no mention of a letter.” you said wide-eyed.

 

“Ooookay.” he said with his eyes widening comically feeling uneasy once again.

 

“What are you guys hiding from me?” you said as you stood up looking annoyed.

 

“I thought…well…what were you talking about anyway?” Chansung asked as he shakes his head rubbing the back of his neck.

 

“The kiss at the hospital.” you exclaimed.

 

“Well, that was like a month ago.” Chansung murmured.  “And I’m not going to be sorry about that.”

 

“This is just like you!” you said as your brows come together in concern.  “Do I even want to know what is the deal with this letter thing?  I mean of course I want to know what it is.  What is it?”

 

“Well, I think its better that I tell you this myself.” Chansung said as he took a deep breath, holding your hands tight in his.  “I’m sorry.”

 

“Sorry?  Why?  What is it really?” you asked curiously as your patience runs thin.

 

“Well, here goes.” Chansung said as he kept taking deep breaths and shakes his hands to ease his nervousness.  He dropped his head as his hands tighten its grip on yours and then he slowly looked up and started to speak again.  “Remember when I visited Taecyeon when we were kids and you asked me to give him a letter for you.”

 

“Uhm.” you nodded.

 

“I never gave yours.” he continued.  “I gave him one I made.”

 

“What?” you said as you clutched your hands to your chest.

 

“And while there, I told him to stay away from you because you were having a hard time because of him and that we’re together already and it’s quite awkward to be able to entertain him while we’re starting our own relationship.  I told him it was hard for you to tell him so you asked me to tell him instead.” Chansung said in a flash, in one quick breath and then dropped his head low, looking at you with only his eyes.

 

“You…you did what?” you asked confused as you tried to process the information in your head without causing much of a scene.

 

“I’m sorry.” Chansung said again, his face flushed red from embarrassment and fear of your anger.

 

“You made idiots out of us.” you softly said with a frown.

 

“That wasn’t my intention.” he said as his fingers brushed your cheek gently.

 

“Then what is your intention?” you asked trying to understand him the best you could.

 

“I…I wanted to be with you.” he said knowing very well it wasn’t such a good excuse, but it was the only one he has.  “I wanted you for myself.”

 

“That’s awful.” you said with your lips tightening into a thin line that curved down at the sides expressing a great disappointment in your face.

 

“I was young, I didn’t know better.” he muttered.

 

“But you grew up and you did know better.  How could you not tell me until now?” you said pinching the bridge of your nose as you squeezed your eyes shut.

 

“I didn’t want to lose you.” he said as his jaw clenched as he fought back the urge to punch himself.  He was wrong.  No matter what he said, he was wrong.  And he knew that perfectly well.

 

“I think you just did.” you whispered as you tucked your hair behind your ear as the wind blew hard.  You turned to leave, but he catches you by the arm.

 

“You’re willing to lose me over one little mistake?  Over one lie I said more than a decade ago?  I was a kid then.  Is that all I am worth to you?” Chansung asked as tears threatened to fall from his doe eyes.

 

“But you know, that one little lie you told more than a decade ago made everything and all these years seem like a lie as well.” you softly said as you released yourself from his hold.

 

“Wait.” Chansung said as he took one deep breath and blew it out slowly.  “Please.  I…”

 

“Chansung please.” you said interrupting him.  “Leave.  I don’t think I have enough will not to hate you right now.” you said as you turned to leave with hurried steps back to the villa leaving Chansung alone on the beach looking up restlessly into the sky.

 

“I’ll get you back somehow.” Chansung whispered as he rests his hands on his waist taking one deep breath after another fighting his tears.

 

TAECYEON’S POV

 

Taecyeon leans over the sink on the steam filled bathroom after a hot shower and wipes the mirror with his hand revealing his wet self.  He stared at his reflection as he dries his hair with a towel, a faint smile appearing from his lips as he remembered how he woke up with you in his arms.  His grin growing bigger as he realized how you were beginning to open up to him little by little.

 

He took his toothbrush from the holder and shakes his head with a smile as he saw that you left your ring near the sink.

 

“I need to glue this on her hand.” Taecyeon said with a chuckle as he holds your ring.

 

He went out of the villa with your ring in his shirt pocket, looking for you with hurried steps along the beach.  There, not far ahead from him he finds you sitting on the sand with Chansung, your head resting comfortably on his shoulder.  He wanted to approach you so badly and drag you out of there in an instant, to claim that you were his wife, his.  He wanted to, but he couldn’t find the strength in him to do so.  You were never really his to begin with, the marriage was something that was forced unto you.  It never meant that your heart became his.

 

“Of course.” he said to himself as his smile slowly fades.  “Of course she’s with Chansung.”

 

There was a sudden feeling of pain shooting on to his chest, making it hard for him to breathe or even think properly.  He turned the other way to leave as his eyes glistened with tears, his fists clenched tight, his steps heavy, but his heart feeling heavier.

 

“I was stupid to think I could make her mine.” Taecyeon muttered to himself as he trudges along the sand.