Chapter 1

A New Beginning at 26

As you were celebrating your 26th birthday with your girlfriends at a bar one late night, you find a pair of eyes fixed on you from across the room.  He looks familiar and unfamiliar at the same time.  In the dim light, the shadows catch the planes of his chiseled face along with the perfect angle of his cheekbones.  The expression in his eyes was deep and mysterious, seemingly drowning you with its stare.  His face oozed with rugged masculinity that you couldn’t help but take a second glance.  Yes, he was handsome, but his smile warned you that he might be trouble.

 

You swiveled the bar stool turning yourself away from him before his eyes could hook you in completely.  Fighting with the urge deep inside to turn back and stare at such an awesome sight, you took the martini glass in your hand and drank it up one gulp.

 

After a short while, like magnets with opposing poles, he could not help but move closer as if the very sight of you draws him in.  He stood up from where he was seated, leaving his companions and soon he was treading across the crowd with his broad shoulders leaning from side to side, eyes on his target, slowly, ily approaching you like you were prey.

 

“Hi.” the man said with a confident smile as he stands beside you leaning on the bar.

 

You looked and cut your eyes at him, ignoring him as you continued to chat with your friends who were in all smiles seemingly greeting the dapper young man who just walked over.

 

“Don’t I know you from somewhere?” he continued to say raising the corners of his mouth.

 

“Isn’t that the oldest pick-up line ever?” you said annoyed.

 

“Did it work?” he said with a smile.

 

“Fortunately for me, I still have a brain, so it doesn’t work on me.” you answered as you motioned for him to leave.

 

“But I do really think we know each other.” he said.

 

“Sorry, I haven’t been anywhere close to your planet.” you answered. “So, let me make this easy for you, just so you don’t waste time doing this whole dance for me, when you could hook up with some bimbo out here in the bar.  I’m-not-interested.”

 

“You’re necklace.” he said as he points to the cameo necklace hanging down your neck resting on your chest.

 

The necklace has been with you for years.  A cameo of your portrait as a child made of coral, a special gift from a friend many years ago.  You touch it unconsciously as he points to it.

 

“What of it?” you asked with an eyebrow raised.

 

“It’s you.  I just know it’s you.  Don’t you remember me at all?” he said happily.

 

“No, I don’t.” you said as you turned your head away.

 

“Someone you know?” your friend asked as she leans over to you.

 

“Definitely not.” you answered.

 

“It stings that you don’t remember me at all, when here I am able to still pick you out of a crowd after all these years.” he said.

 

“Whatever!” you said as you turned away determined to completely ignore him.

 

He leaned in closer and away with his fingers the hair on your neck resting on your shoulders revealing a little mole.  “See.” he said grinning widely.  “It is you.”

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” you angrily said as you swatted his hand away.  “Don’t touch me!”

 

“I’m sorry.” he said with a chuckle.  “I was just trying to prove a point.”

 

“Is this guy bothering you?” the bartender asked seeing the commotion on your side.

 

“Yes.” you said as you looked the stranger straight in the eyes defiantly.

 

“I’ll have to ask you to leave if you keep this up.” the bartender said to the man, who just gave a smirk as he steps back with both hands in the air.

 

“I see you still have that awful temper of yours.” he said almost cracking a laugh.  “Well, see you again soon Snuggles!” he said with a simper as he waved to you goodbye making you all the more angry looking at his arrogant face.  “But I definitely will make you pay for not remembering me.”

 

“Snuggles?” you muttered to yourself thinking when you heard that word last.

 

“What’s up with that?” your friends asked.

 

“I have no idea.  Probably nothing.” you said shaking your head.  “Just another arrogant guy who thinks he can have whoever he sets his eyes on.  Anyway, I do have to go home early.”

 

“Why?” your friends asked.

 

“I’m visiting my family early tomorrow.  It’s a birthday thing.  Plus, my mom has guests for brunch.” you said as you signaled the bartender for another appletini.

 

“Really?” your friends chimed in disappointed.  “Who?”

 

“Yup.” you nodded with a sigh.  “Family friends.” you said.  “They often come over to celebrate events with us.”

 

“That’s too bad.” one of your friends said.  “And I thought we’ll be able to celebrate till morning.”

 

“Well, I’m still here.” you said as you raise a smile.  “We can still celebrate while I’m here.”

 

“Happy 26th!” your friends shouted.

 

“Cheers to a happy life ahead!” one of your friends said raising a glass.

 

“Cheers!” you all said before you chugged down on your drinks.

 

“You better get married soon…or at least get a boyfriend.” a friend of yours teasingly said.

 

“I don’t need a guy.” you said smug as you flipped your hair.  “There are far too much to do than fall in love.”

 

“Sometimes I wonder what your heart is for.” a friend of yours said.  “Have you thought of donating it to someone who could have a better use for it?”

 

“!” you said jokingly.

 

“If you don’t use that heart soon, it might rust.  Take a chance girl.  Trying loving a man for a change.” your friend persuaded.

 

“Come on girls, I only have a few hours left before I go home, do we really have to talk about all these boring crap while we drink on my birthday?” you said.

 

“Just saying…” your friend said.

 

“What about Chansung?” your friend asked.

 

“What about Chansung?” you asked back.

 

“Well, you’ve known each other since forever.” your friend said.

 

“Well, he’s my childhood friend and that’s about it.  He’s the closest thing I have to an older brother.” you said.  “Him and Dumbo.  I wonder how he is.” you said as you recalled your childhood friend.

 

“Dumbo?” your friend asked.  "As in the flying elephant?" 

 

“Uhmm. Taecyeon, Chansung’s cousin.” you said with a smile.  “I used to call him Dumbo since he’s got big ears.  The three of us were inseparable when we were kids, but he left for abroad more than a decade ago and that’s about that.  Now it’s just me and Chansung.  Speaking of Chansung, I think I better give him a call.”