ART IS NOT A MIRACLE

WRECK

CHAPTER 6 | ART IS NOT A MIRACLE

 

*****

 

I woke up in the morning, body aching as hell and yawned loudly. That was when I noticed my surroundings and gasped quietly to myself. Sleep worn off, I realized that I need to start work at 1pm later. I looked down at my watch. 11.30am. That leaves me exactly an hour and a half to clean myself up. I looked at the still sleeping body in front of me and wondered if it’d be fine to leave him here alone.

 

At this moment, a man walked hurriedly over to me. He dressed comfortably, wearing a pair of sunglasses. His brows were furrowed, and he seemed sort of agitated.

 

“Miss, were you the one to find Ji Yong in this state?” he asked, not even introducing himself.

 

“Him?” I pointed towards GD.

 

“Well who else is here?” he snapped.

 

“Yeah I found him, no need to be so rude. If you are here to collect him, go ahead. By the way, you have to settle the administrative stuff and pay the bills.” I stood up and eyed the man.

 

“Aigoo, they are coming already. Ji Yong ah, wake up! We need to leave now!” He shook GD hardly, almost shoving him off the bed.

 

The door burst open.

 

“Sir, the reporters are already outside. It is disrupting the other patients,” the nurse from yesterday came in.

 

“Just discharge him already! My assistant will settle the bills with you later, go find a way out for us.”

 

Not only was he loud, he was being bossy and mean. How could he just order a poor nurse around?

 

From the corner of my eye, I saw GD got up from the bed. His color didn’t return yet, he shouldn’t be discharged. I know the nurse wanted to stop the man from taking GD away but in the end, she scurried away.

 

“Hyung, take me home. Now.” GD finally opened his mouth and walked over to the man.

 

Oh gosh, now I’m really mad. Is he mad? He tried to commit suicide yesterday and now he wants to leave? I say, he needs to be admitted into the psychological ward. I rolled my eyes and was about to leave when the man stopped me.

 

“Oi, you. You can’t just leave. There are reporters outside. We don’t want any rumors. You come with us.”

 

Not even giving me a choice, he pushed me and GD together and threw a jacket over our heads. I was laughing like a maniac inside because this was all a dream and I would wake up safe in my bed. I mean, really, reporters? Is this GD even like a star?

 

The man stood protectively beside GD and ushered us out and just like he said, the moment the doors opened, lights went flashing and questions were being thrown around. I was getting jabbed from all angles and I did not like that. I was going to lift up my head but GD hushed me.

 

“Just move.”

 

I quietly obeyed, and finally, we were free from those monsters once we reached the lift. Reporters , big time. I experienced some nosey ones before, creeping around my school trying to look for dirt on rich people’s kids.

 

I kept my mouth shut, knowing better than to talk to these two men. Rude bastards, I wonder if they were from the same parents. I wanted to leave because I did not want to be late for my second day at work. At the lobby, there was already a tinted black van parked there and I thought this was goodbye. I guessed wrong.

 

“Get in the car, there might be reporters at the entrance. I don’t want you to go around running your mouth,” the man said, and shoved me into the van.

 

Am I being ing kidnapped?

 

GD got on behind me while the man moved to the passenger seat. The inside of the van was cool and quiet, like a deadly silence. Obviously GD fell asleep the moment his touched the seats and I was left there awkward.

 

I jumped out of my skin when a voice spoke from behind me. Oh god, I did not realize that there was someone there. He was so damn quiet and well-blended into the corner of the van.

 

“Hyung, what did he do this time?” His voice was deep, and piercing cold. It lacked any emotion.

 

“Suicide, overdose.”

 

A heavy silence then hung in there air, and being the that I was, I broke it.

 

“Excuse me, but where are you bringing me? I need to get home.” I stated.

 

“Where?”

 

“Um… Suites 81.”

 

“Take us there, then to the company.”

 

I let out a sigh of relief, knowing that these people intended to let me go and not kill me. The whole ride was horrible, this electrifying tension shutting everyone up. When we got to Suites 81, I opened the door and was about to get off.

 

“Miss, your wig is out of place,” deep voice said.

 

I slowly turned my head and looked at the guy for the first time.

 

Eyes like sunken pearls, boring into my soul as if he could read everything on my mind. He was well built, with lips that are just perfect. He was, in other words, charming and hot. I got flustered and reached up to reposition my wig. I hope no one else noticed my slip. I thanked him and others for giving me a ride, remembering my manners. The van zoomed off as soon as the doors closed. I quickly went up to shower and change, but not before noticing the note Teacher Li left on the fridge.

 

Next time when you stay out tell me first.

 

I in a breathe because I realized that it was very irresponsible of me to not inform him. I checked my phone. There were exactly nine missed calls and eight messages from him.

 

*****

 

 

Monday couldn’t come round fast enough. Work on Sunday and this morning went smoothly. Though, Teacher Li ticked me off a bit yesterday but we were fine after. I dressed myself up prettily, wearing the only formal outfit I brought with me. A tight black lacy dress that reached just above my knees and black pumps. I stashed all my makeup and phone in my clutch and made my way down to the car park, to wait for Doo Joon. Teacher Li said he would be going straight from his café, so I did not wait for him.

 

Doo Joon’s car was already waiting, and upon seeing me, he got out and opened the door of the passenger seat. I smiled and got in.

 

“Hey. I got you a gift.”

 

He opened up a jewelry box and inside was the prettiest gold necklace I had ever seen. It was a single chain adorned with diamonds. I couldn’t possibly accept this.

 

“I can’t. It’s too beautiful.” I said.

 

He insisted that I keep it and put it on my bare neck. In my haste, I did not bring any jewelry with me. The chain feels cold against my neck but I like it.

 

Mirage was packed, from buyers to artists to reviewers. I was feeling pretty nervous. I held onto Doo Joon’s arm and walked into the bustling room.

 

We mingled around, and I got to know more talented artists, which made me very happy. Until him.

 

Who else to walk in but the devil’s reincarnation himself. The blonde hair was gelled back nicely, eyeliner, and well, a very intriguing suit. Our eyes met from across the room and a hint of recognition flashed through his eyes. I quickly averted my gaze and went back to socializing. Surprisingly, Doo Joon can talk art quite well too. Actually, all I’ve seen him talk about before was business and more business but I’ve never seen this side of him before.

 

Teacher Li arrived soon later, and I introduced him to Doo Joon. The two immediately clicked, and they made quite an odd pair. The three of us walked around, looking at the artworks of other people. They were really good pieces, no wonder Mirage lived up to its name.

 

Night was inching in and I forgotten how many champagnes I downed. The whole time, I saw GD wherever I went. He always had a glass in his hands, which he would drink from while giving me an al-knowing smirk. I wanted him to leave me alone.

 

“Ladies, gentlemen, may I have your attention please? It is time for the auction. Please take your seats,” the director announced.

 

I was shocked. I did not know that there would be an auction, no one told me. I caught Teacher Li’s eyes and gave him a blank look.

 

I thought I told you, he mouthed.

 

I raised my eyebrows, leaning back onto my seat, wondering if anyone would bid for my painting. It’d be very embarrassing if no one was to bid for my painting. I shrunk into my seat, which is in the front row where all the other artists sat. The auction proceeded on and I watched everyone’s work being sold off for at least twenty thousand. Finally, it was my turn.

 

“Now, bidding starts for Monster at $10000. This is a painting by Kim Eun Ji, a young artist just 19 years old. It depicts the dark side of motherly love, and the self-destruction of a being.”

 

I stood up and bowed at everyone, like all the other artists did.

 

I let out all my pent up air when I heard prices being called out. Beside me, Doo Joon raised his hand. Is he crazy, why is he buying my art?

 

“$32000. Anymore takers?”

 

“$45000.” I heard that unmistakable voice from behind. Stupid GD, why is he even bidding.

 

“$50000.” Doo Joon raised his hand again.

 

“$55000.” GD offered.

 

“$70000.” Doo Joon is now mad, I swear.

 

“$100000.” It was like a game of tug of war, and both parties were not letting go.

 

I shook Doo Joon’s arm when I saw that he was going to go higher.

 

“Don’t. Just let him have the painting. I’ll paint you something else.” I said.

 

“$100000. Going once, going twice. Sold.” The director announced.

 

It was the last piece of the evening and the only one sold for the high price of $100000.

 

The floor was now open for the buyers to talk to the artist and GD made his way over.

 

“So. Kim Eun Ji. I just spent $100000 buying your monster, why don’t you thank me?” he smirked. His eyes had this evil glint which made me squirm in my skin.

 

He was out to taunt me, I know.

 

“I see you’ve recovered quite quickly, maybe art was the miracle?”

 

“Of course, with people like you in this industry, all sick people would be cured. Don’t you agree?”

 

I glared right at him, sensing all the sarcasm dripping from his voice.

 

“You know,” he started. “You know too much about me. I don’t think I’ll ever let you out of my sight ever again. I’ll hang this monster up above my bed, so I’ll be reminded of you every night.”

 

He cocked his head to the side, before walking off onto the crowd.

 

“Who is he? Do you know him?” A confused Doo Joon asked.

 

“No, no I don’t,” I replied. Because, I really do not know who he is, inside or out.

 

 

 

 

A/N: I can't seem to write any long chaps now but I swear I'll make them longer after next Wednesday, which is my Chinese GCE O's day. How can I even call myself a Chinese when I'm getting B on papers. This would probably be the last update till then. I'm so worried about my Chinese O's.

 

*****

 

 

Fortune

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/646036

Oh Yool is accused of murder and the only who can help her is Kwon Jiyong, the man who betrayed her at the very last moment.

 

*****