UNHOUSED AND UNEMPLOYED

WRECK

CHAPTER 4 | UNHOUSED AND UNEMPLOYED

 

*****

 

The sneaking out of the house was easy. All the guards thought I was still at the party with father and mother and no one knew I left except for Doo Joon. For some reason, I knew he won’t tell anyone. I stashed all my necessities in a luggage and walked out of the house proudly, because it felt like I was finally an adult living my own life. The air smelled sweeter and the wind was singing a merry song for me. I pulled my luggage bag behind me as I made my way down the hill my house sat on.

 

The first three people I called up to celebrate my newfound freedom was Ha Na, Su Hwa and Sang Min.

 

“Friends, lets go out and celebrate tonight, I am free!” I was so excited, I couldn’t contain myself so much so that I was grinning like an idiot on my way to meet them. Of course, I put on my wig. I was leaving my past behind.

 

I arrived at the coffee shop, and they were already there.

 

“Hello guys!” I greeted cheerfully.

 

“Eun Ji, what are you doing with that luggage? Did you move out of your house?” Su Hwa asked, confusion written over her face. The other two looked at me expectantly, waiting for an answer.

 

“Ah, no. I am running away. Now guys, I can join you whenever you want. This is my new life,” I explained, sipping on the warm cup of coffee Ha Na passed me.

 

They were all staring at me, as if I was a monkey that just escaped from the zoo but Sang Min spoke first.

 

“Where will you be staying?”

 

And it hit me. I had been basking in my newfound freedom that I lost all my sense of logic.

 

“I haven’t found a place yet.”

 

“Are you going to find a job?”

 

Again, another problem arose.

 

“No…”

 

“Then you are screwed, Eun Ji. You will not survive,” Ha Na bluntly laid it out for me.

 

I let out a sigh. I did not think of all these important things and just impulsively packed my bags and left. What am I going to do now?

 

“You know Eun Ji, I would let you stay at my house but I have five more siblings and my parents with me. I really want to help you but I can’t. Our house is pretty small and I am already sharing a room with Su Mi,” Su Hwa said apologetically.

 

“I can’t too. My mother is sick and my father doesn’t like me to bring people home. I am very sorry,” Ha Na added.

 

“I understand guys, I really do. But thank you anyways.” I was a little disappointed but I know Su Hwa and Ha Na would put me up if weren’t for circumstances. That left Sang Min, my last hope.

 

“Don’t look at me! I am a man, M-A-N! My father will chop off my head and disown me if I bring a girl home to stay! Do you have any other friends you can ask?”

 

I felt so unsure of myself right now. There was Doo Joon but it would be ridiculous because I’ll be going back to my past. Being sheltered my whole life, I do not have a single inkling of what to do. How am I even going to feed myself? I counted all the cash I have on me right now. $37.

 

“Eh, Eun Ji, why don’t we try finding you a job first? Then at least you will earn some money,” Su Hwa suggested.

 

Everyone agreed and we walked around the streets, looking for any shops with walk- in interviews.

 

We finally found a shop that has a vacancy.

 

“You need to know how to speak English. It’s stated here: Basic English speaking skills to interact with customers,” Sang Min pointed out. “This is a restaurant that caters to foreigners, can you do it?”

 

Of course, I can, I thought. I lived in New York for three years. I left my luggage outside with them and went in, smoothing down the creases in my clothes and trying to look as presentable as possible.

 

“Fighting!” they shouted behind me and I gave a thumbs up. This was my first interview and I would not let the years of elite education go to waste.

 

“Yes miss, can I help you? We are about to close for tonight, do you want to come back tomorrow?” A pretty waitress asked.

 

“Um… I’m actually here for the interview. Is it too late?” Please, please, please, I thought, I need this job.

 

“Well no! Come follow me, we are very shorthanded these days.”

 

She led me to a tiny room at the back of the restaurant and the manager was sitting there browsing through some papers. She looked up as I walked in and smiled warmly.

 

“You are here for the interview, I guess.” She spoke in English. This woman got straight to the point.

 

“Yes ma’am. I saw that you have a vacancy and I want to apply. I am Kim Eun Ji. Having lived in New York for three years, I am fluent in English. Though I have no prior experience, I believe I can handle the job well. I can do anything you ask; cleaning, washing, and waitressing.”

 

“Hmm, we are a very busy restaurant, can you work Saturdays and Sundays? Overtime?”

 

“Yes.” What else could I be doing on these days? Stay at home?

 

“Then consider yourself hired. I’m Miss Shepard. Welcome aboard. You start tomorrow, 12 noon sharp.”

 

I shook her outstretched hand. I got my first job. This was amazing.

 

I walked out of the restaurant and thanked the waitress who helped me. After all, we were going to be working together soon.

 

I saw my friends who were waiting outside impatiently. They rushed to me as soon as they heard my footsteps.

 

“Eun Ji! Did you get it?” Su Hwa asked.

 

“Yes, I start tomorrow,” I replied. I was legit happy because I had never worked before and frankly, I think this would be exciting.

 

“Where are you going to stay tonight?” Sang Min butted in. Always the one to pop my bubble of happiness.

 

“I don’t know. Should I go to a hotel? I only have $37…”

 

“If you have no one else, why don’t you call Teacher Li? I’m sure he knows of someone who could help you!” Ha Na suggested. Teacher Li! Why didn’t I think of him?

 

I stood against the lamppost and called him up. The phone rang for a moment before he finally picked up.

 

“Hello?” his gruff voice poured into my ears.

 

“Hello Teacher Li, this is Eun Ji. I apologize for calling you now but I was wondering if you knew anyone who can put me up for the night? I am in desperate need of a place to stay right now.”

 

“What? Where are you? I’ll come and get you now.”

 

“I’m outside Bronx, near the subway. It’s an English restaurant.”

 

“Stay there, I’m coming.” I can hear him grabbing his keys just before he hung up.

 

I felt guilty for making Teacher Li make a trip down here and troubling him. I am always creating problems for him, like that one time when I spilt paint over another student’s art piece but he took the blame for it. Maybe I really am a troublemaker, like mother said.

 

“Is Teacher Li coming?” Su Hwa asked.

 

“Yeah. I feel bad for this. Do you guys have to go? It is getting quite late.”

 

After confirming that I’ll be fine, Sang Min, Su Hwa and Ha Na left, promising that they would meet me tomorrow. I waved goodbye and stayed glued to the lamppost and waited for Teacher Li. I looked across the street and saw the same roadside stall that started all this and can’t help but to recall what happened last Thursday. Those sad, sad eyes and shoulders that seemed too heavy to be lifted. Pain disguised as anger. Unknowingly, I started twisting the ring around my finger. I was so lost in my train of thoughts that I did not notice Teacher Li’s arrival until he started honking. It scared me out of my skin. I was glad he arrived because the night was getting colder.

 

“Teacher Li! You’re here to save me, the damsel in distress!” I joked. I found it comfortable to be around him.

 

“How many times do I have to say this? My name is Hong Chul, not Teacher Li. Is it okay for you to stay in my apartment? I have a spare bedroom that you can use. Its getting cold, go inside the car,” he pushed me towards the passenger seat and opened the door for me.

 

“Teac– no, Hong Chul, I’ll try my best not to be a nuisance. I will pay you rent but is it okay if I pay it a week later? I am starting a new job tomorrow.”

 

“Yeah, yeah. Stay as long as you want, there’s no one in the house anyway. The rent can wait as long as you cook a delicious meal for me. You are after all my favorite student who made it to Mirage. I quite respect you in that area. Makes a teacher feel proud and satisfied.”

 

“I’m afraid I cannot cook. My two hands only know how to draw and paint. Doesn’t that bother you?”

 

“Well then, make more art that will get showcased in Mirage. We are reaching soon.”

 

When Teacher Li said that he works a double job, at a café in the morning and an art teacher at night, I never thought it was a lie until now. He drove into the car park of Suites 81, one of the more glitzy apartment buildings in Seoul. My mouth dropped open when the guard greeted him, if not I would have thought he brought me to some other person’s house. The car pulled to a stop at the lobby, where a valet stood waiting. We got out of the car and Teacher Li helped me get my luggage from the boot before leaving the car to the valet. We were quiet when we got into the lift, because I still found it quite hard to believe that Teacher Li lived here. I watched his fingers trail up one by one until it was reaching the penthouse level. At the last moment, he stopped at the apartment beneath the penthouse.

 

“Aren’t you going to press the penthouse?” it was possibly the stupidest question anyone could ask and I mentally slapped myself on the forehead.

 

“No,” he laughed as though my question wasn’t the stupidest question ever. “Some weirdo lives up there. No one has seen him before. I guess he doesn’t come home often but whenever he does, it was like a pig being slaughtered. I had quite a few sleepless nights because of the noises.”

 

The door pinged open before I could ask anymore and he unlocked his front door. I trailed behind him, careful not to step on anything that I’m not supposed to step on. He switched on the lights, and I was met with the most wonderful house I had ever seen. Frame after frame of beautiful paintings with sculptures that adorn the whole artistic interior. Best of all, a clear view of the city below me. I immediately left my luggage by the door and ran over to the window with the spectacular view, totally forgetting about my formalities or shall I say, intrusion. I can see many buildings from over here. It was simply breathtaking and amazing. I was beyond awestruck, not even hearing Teacher Li call my name until he tapped me on the shoulder.

 

“Huh? Oh, I’m so sorry, pardon my lack of manners. The view from here is awesome!” I told him but being the quiet and thoughtful man he was, he just smiled and beckoned for me to follow him. I felt like a 5 year old kid next to him. He carried my luggage for me and opened the door to what should be my bedroom for the next… I don’t know. The room was simple, a queen sized bed, adjoined bathroom, a small closet. Just everything a person needs, nothing too extravagant like my room back home. Perfect.

 

“So, I’ll leave you here to settle for the night? Please, make yourself comfortable. I wouldn’t want you to worry too much about the rent. There’s food in the fridge. If you’re hungry find something to eat. If there’s anything else you need, call for me in the room at the end of the corridor.”

 

He was about to leave but I couldn’t let this burning question stay inside me any longer.

 

“Hong Chul! How can you afford all this?” I rudely asked.

 

“Lets just say that I own the café and art school I work in,” he winked at me, before turning to his room.

 

Oh. My. God. I slammed myself down on the bed so hard so that I should bounce off but instead I sank in. Mmmmm… Soft and squishy, just how I like it. Today was one of the best and worst days I ever had and I’m so tired right now. It was already 12 midnight and I was ready to fall asleep any minute. My eyelids were heavy and they were slowly closing.

 

Pom!

 

I jerked awake.

 

Pom!

 

I threw a pillow over my head.

 

POM!

 

What in the world is going on? I got up from my sleeping position and was quite pissed off by the sounds. From upstairs. I guess Teacher Li’s neighbor was home today. I’ll never get to sleep tonight. How many times had this happened? Poor Teacher Li, I wouldn’t want to let this go on any further.

 

Tomorrow, I thought. He would wish he never brought that pig home to slaughter.

 

With that, I buried myself under the covers and piled all the pillows onto my head.

 

 

A/N: I don't really like this chapter... Too much dialogue. What do you guys think? Please subscribe and vote and comment! :D xxxx

 

*****

 

Fortune

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/646036

Oh Yool is accused of murder and the only who can help her is Kwon Jiyong, the man who betrayed her at the very last moment.

 

*****