AWKWARD TURTLES

WRECK

CHAPTER 18 | AWKWARD TURTLES

 

*****

 

I was seated next to GD opposite his mother. Beside his mother was Chae Rin. Tae Yang, Dae Sung, Seung Ri and Seung Hyun flagged each side of the long table. There were a variety of dishes spread across the whole table and everyone had already tucked in. The only people with their rice untouched were GD and me.

 

“Eun Ji, eat. The food here is delicious; don’t stand on ceremony with me. Ji Yong, pass her some side dishes,” his mother ordered.

 

He reached across the table and passed me the black beans and kimchi. He listened to his mother quite well, and his mother doesn’t seemed to know about the problems he had, or she simply doesn’t care.

 

I thanked Mrs Kwon and started eating when GD put the rice in his mouth. Indeed, the food here was fit for a king. Everyone was engaged in their own little conversations and Mrs Kwon put down her chopsticks.

 

“So, Eun Ji, since when did you and my son start dating?” she asked.

 

I choked on my rice.

 

“Umma!” GD shouted, gaining everyone’s attention.

 

“We are not… Dating,” I said. “Just friends.”

 

“Umma, if you keep bothering people like that I will leave!”

 

“Aigoo, who’s the woman who gave birth to you? You sit there and shut your mouth, I’m not even talking to you. Do you feel bothered, Eun Ji?” she said, daring GD to defy her. He didn’t.

 

“Not at all, Mrs Kwon. It’s nice talking to you,” I replied politely though I did feel burdened.

 

“What Mrs Kwon, call me Ji Yong umma like everyone else. You are very pretty, like an angel, unlike that devil’s spawn Caucasian. If only you knew Ji Yong sooner, from all the stories I heard, it seemed like he listens more to you then his dear old mama here. Like that time when he only listened to all the bad things – what’s her name, Anna – taught him. Tell me, Eun Ji, what do you do?” she said. I guess she did know, how could she not? And to say the least, she hated Ava so much, even purposely forgetting her name. I looked over at GD to see his reaction, but he’s being quiet, silently eating.

 

“I just quit my last job, because of some complications. But I paint, I’m preparing for my own small exhibition in Mirage. You must come then, Ji Yong umma,” I said, smiling at her but at the same time, my mood soured a bit thinking about my job.

 

“Aigoo, such a good-natured and polite girl. Of course I’ll go, it’s Ji Yong’s friend’s art show. You must be pretty good right? To have your own exhibition in Mirage?  I remember Ji Yong buying a piece from that gallery and anyone who visits Dolce Vita would ask about it,” she said, her wrinkles crinkling when she smiles.

 

“Dolce Vita?” I asked. “What’s that?”

 

“Did Ji Yong not tell you? That’s the little pension this chap bought for his folks. Such a darling, even decorating the whole places himself. You must come visit sometimes! Get Ji Yong to bring you over. Speaking of that, I remembered my main purpose in coming over here. We are going to have a party! For Eun Ji!” she exclaimed, looking at everyone expectantly.

 

Party? For me? She only met me today! How is that her main purpose?
 

“Ji Yong umma, is all of us coming?” Chae Rin asked, getting excited.

 

“Of course!” she replied. “Everyone is coming to celebrate this special friend who helped my insolent son a lot. You’ll get the whole place for the weekend!”

 

“Umma, can you please not come all the way here suddenly and do this?” he shouted.

 

“Why? Why not? I came here to see my son and meet his friend! Is that so wrong? Yah, your umma doesn’t see you very much and now are you chasing me away?” she said, volume rising.

 

I poked GD, telling him not to be rude. He didn’t say anything else, but he didn’t look happy either.

 

“It’s next weekend, you guys must come alright? And I don’t care if you drag this person by his ear, his appa wants to see him. Eun Ji, you’re the star, you have to be present,” she demanded, as if she didn’t just scream at her son.

 

I was put in a tight spot, not knowing whether I should accept her invitation or not.

 

“Thank you for your invitation, Ji Yong umma but um…” I started, trying to come up with a good excuse.

 

“No buts! You are given no choice in this matter. Son, you will bring her there I believe?” she asked, her eyes going over to the quiet GD.

 

“Yes, umma. I’ll go,” he said compliantly.

 

That was the end of the issue about the impending party because with the start of another topic, Ji Yong umma dismissed all of us but it doesn’t mean the excitement of it stops. The boys, while talking to Ji Yong umma, were buzzing about the weekend and Chae Rin was busy texting her girls.

 

“GD,” I subtly said but was once again interrupted by his umma.

 

“Eun Ji? You call him GD? Why not Ji Yong? That’s what all his fans call him. Don’t tell me you met him as a fan like that white girl,” she said, eyebrows raised.

 

I actually never thought about this before. I guess I had grown too comfortable calling him GD, rather than his real name. Ji Yong. It was a nice name, unique. Perhaps it’s time for me to acknowledge Ji Yong.

 

“I don’t know, I just never really called him by his real name. But Ji Yong umma, it’s a really beautiful name you gave him,” I told her, meaning every word of it.

 

I slowly cleaned my mouth with the napkin, being extremely full. Everything here is delicious, maybe I’ll come back here sometimes. Everyone else was almost done so I politely waited, talking to GD, no Ji Yong, and his umma.

 

She asked me about things here and there and I just answered her as it was. There was nothing to hide; I’m comfortable with this woman here. I even joked with her about the times Ji Yong had his panic attacks and how I’m the one who always find him in that state. It’s funny how I always have to find a paper bag for him to blow into. Ji Yong umma had gotten used to her son’s destructive behavior and accepted it as it was, but behind that façade, I know it’s a woman who worries secretly. After all, which mother would like to see their only son torture himself to death.

 

The meal ended on a positive note, and everyone left to go back to the YG building. Even Ji Yong was cheerier, thinking his mother was going to leave. He was tired and wanted to go home but hearing that, his umma wanted to visit his house. His face immediately turned darker but he let his mother come over. I drove us back to Suites 81, and we all went up together. The lift stopped at me level and I got out.

 

“Eun Ji, aren’t you coming up with us?” Ji Yong umma asked, a questioning look on her face.

 

“Oh, I live on this level. Don’t worry I’ll come up soon, just bringing snacks. His refrigerator is forever empty except for beer,” I said, gesturing for them to go up first. I rummaged through the cupboards where I stashed my fancy cookies and brought them up.

 

Ji Yong was splat across the couch, arm above his head while his umma was talking in the chair next to his. I made my way in and he barely opened his eyes.

 

“Ji Yong umma, try some of these cookies from overseas, they are my favorites,” I said, presenting her with the opened box. She took one and ate it, and I could tell she likes them.

 

“Eun Ji, do you come here often?” she asked. I think my art supplies strewn at random corners of the house does seem messy.

 

“Now and then. It’s nice to do my art here, and it puts my heart at ease to know that he’s within my sight.” I nodded over to Ji Yong who rested peacefully.

 

“That’s good, there’s someone to take care of him when I’m not around. Let me put him to bed first, it’s been so long I’ve done that,” she said, getting up from her seat and getting over to Ji Yong.

 

“Yah, Ji Yong, go rest in the room. Come, umma help you up.”

 

Her worn out hands held him, pulling him to his feet. I helped her with him, and we brought him over to his bed. She tucked him in warmly, smoothing back his hair and smiling to herself.

 

“Umma, you can stay one more day if you like,” Ji Yong said softly.

 

His umma just chuckled, saying, “No, I think I’m done here but you come over soon.”

 

 

We went back into the living room and I knew she wanted to talk. I can tell from her eyes, so I made some coffee for both of us.

 

“Eun Ji, I’m really thankful that you take care of my son for me when I’m not around. I think he told you about that girl Ava right. She did really horrible things to him, but you are the one who’s making him better. I see him improving. As you know, his childhood wasn’t a very nice one. Me and my husband cannot provide him a safe and comfortable life, and we don’t give him enough attention. His sister was the more independent one but my poor Ji Yong, always making umma worry for him. He’s been hurt so many ways, and I still wish that I could make life better for him from young but we can’t change things now. But I just want to ask you a favor, Eun Ji, take care of my Ji Yong, will you? Don’t let him carry these ugly scars around anymore,” she said, holding my hands in hers. Her warm, motherly ones.

 

“Of course, Ji Yong umma, he’s the only friend I have now. No matter how bad he is, I’ll make him better,” I said, giving her a reassuring smile. Maybe of I kept saying this, it’ll be true.

 

“Well that’s great to hear, I need to leave now then. The bus is almost here. Thank you, Eun Ji, you don’t mind if I bring these cookies home?” she asked, standing up and finishing her coffee.

 

I packed the cookies for her and sent her of the door, and wishing that maybe I had a mother who’s as protective and loving as her.

 

 

*****

 

A/N: Haven't been updating for long, so sorry! But this is a short little chappie while I work on the next one to make it better! Leave some words if you like because these days I live solely on your support. ^^

 

*****

 

 

Fortune

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/646036

Oh Yool is accused of murder and the only who can help her is Kwon Jiyong, the man who betrayed her at the very last moment.

 

*****