HISTORY

WRECK

CHAPTER 19 | HISTORY

 

*****

 

One week passes really quickly. I finally finished one painting, to my big surprise and had started on my next one. I busied myself around, cleaning the house for Teacher Li and Ji Yong, cooking for either, lazing around. Doo Joon called me up once but I let it ring. He didn’t show up at my door.

 

Its Saturday tomorrow, and we are setting off today. I packed a few of my clothes, mostly sundresses and shorts. I had told Mr Li my plans for the week, and submitted the completed art piece to him. Ji Yong’s portrait, there’s still a long way to go. With a last dab of lip-gloss, I’m good to go. I made my way up, excited to explore new parts around Seoul. I don’t even bother knocking, just pushing the door open.

 

His bags were packed, sitting on the couch next to him. He stared blankly into space, flinching when I walked in.

 

“Yah, are you leaving?” I asked. I don’t want to keep others waiting.

 

“No. I don’t want to. I don’t want to go and see my family,” he said, turning his head to me. His hair wasn’t combed, stuffed under a cap and sunglasses shrouding his eyes.

 

“Don’t be like this now. The fresh air will do you good, away from all the noise. Your family misses you, I’m sure. You could take this chance and patch things up with Seung Hyun and everyone else. You’re gonna be fine,” I said to him, offering my hand.

 

He put both his palms on his knees and pushed himself up.

 

“Let’s go. I had enough of this hole now.”

 

He picked up his bag and let the door slam behind us. He wasn’t all that happy but like it or not, I’m not going to give in this time. Love, that’s what he needs. His mother is worried, his father probably too. He needs them. How long has it been already that he lived like a slob?

 

We took his car, dirty and unwashed, all the way to YG.

 

Chae Rin was already outside, loading things into the trunk of a vehicle. She turned and waved once she heard our car coming by. The driver door opened and Dara unnie poked her head out.

 

“Oppa, Eun Ji!” she called out, slamming the trunk shut.

 

I closed my own door and went forward to receive her hug.

 

“Oppa, why are you so late? The rest have gone off without you. Actually, I’m gonna leave soon. Seung Hyun is inside waiting. He’s getting in your car,” she said, secretly winking at me. Ji Yong’s face remained a piece of calm, or perhaps he just really wasn’t feeling much today.

 

“Chae Rin, we’ll meet you there okay?” I said.

 

She flashed me a thumbs up before getting into the car. As they drove off, the girls inside waved at my friendlily. Ji Yong texted for Seung Hyun to come out, waiting patiently by the door.

 

“Be good okay, let’s all have fun and get you mended,” I whispered, as Seung Hyun walked towards us, sporting long sleeves in such a terribly hot weather.

 

I smiled when he got nearer and he nodded in return.

 

“I’ll drive. Eun Ji, tell him to rest. His appa and Dami noona… Nevermind,” he said. He occupied himself in the driver seat, and I rode shotgun. Ji Yong went to the back.

 

“Thank you, hyung,” Ji Yong said, looking out of the windows as we zoomed past the city.

 

“Seung Hyun, would you like some?” I asked, offering him the same cookies I gave to Ji Yong umma. He took one, probably to be polite but after he finished it, he took another then another. I smiled, satisfied with myself. Ah, the power of cookies. I bought more of them, to bring over for Ji Yong umma since she liked them so much.

 

Ji Yong coughed from behind me.

 

“You, aren’t you going to give me some too?” he asked. I rolled my eyes and passed the box back. This trip, I’m determined to get these two sorted out, even though I’m scared of Seung Hyun.

 

“Tell me guys,” I said loudly. “Tell me about Big Bang.”

 

None of the boys wanted to talk. I pushed Seung Hyun.

 

“Seung Hyun, how did you join?” I asked, genuinely curious.

 

His deep voice rumbled through the interiors.

 

So he was a rapper and YG rejected him because he was too chubby but he lost a lot of weight and he became a part of Big Bang. He told me about their earlier days, going onto variety shows and the crazy things that happened. He told me about GD & TOP. He told me things about the both of them and never did he once sound angry or hateful as he reminisced. And I knew, he still viewed Ji Yong as a friend, a brother.

 

“Eh, no! I didn’t dance like that, you were the robot!” Ji Yong said from the back.
 

“Eun Ji, don’t believe him, he’s full of , I have a video as proof,” Seung Hyun said, laughing and I laughed along.

 

“Yah, my image is crumbling. I have a video of you. God, search the whole ing Internet, there are so many of you dancing there!” Ji Yong said, punching madly on his phone.

 

“Eun Ji, here, look,” he said, passing his phone over.

 

I cracked up big time. The cold and supposedly mighty T.O.P was moving on stage. Moving, not dancing.

 

“Is this you?” I asked, in between hysterics. “I want to see Ji Yong’s, show me.”

 

Seung Hyun had this evil glint in his eyes as he passed his phone over. Meh, Ji Yong’s wasn’t as interesting as Seung Hyun’s.

 

“Eh, yours is more funny. I don’t care, I’m gonna send it to myself,” I said, about to press send.

 

Seung Hyun’s hand flashed over and tried to grab it but I was quicker. I threw it to the back where Ji Yong sat. His thumb flew across the keypad and Seung Hyun turned to the back.

 

“Yah! Give it to me, don’t send it you hear?” he shouted, but it was so crammed there’s not much he can do.

 

“Eun Ji, here, take it. It’s sent,” Ji Yong said, sounding playful and pleased with himself, something I’ve never heard before and I felt lighter and happier by the second. It’s going well.

 

No sooner had I thought that, Ji Yong screamed.

 

“HYUNG!”

 

We were veering to the side of the road, fast and there’s nowhere for us to stop. It’s down the hill and die. My mind went blank and I shouted. I gripped the sides of my seat tight, the blood pulsing so loudly in my ears. The car barreled forward and I thought this was it. This was the end. I can’t seem to hear or see anyone else around me, just the oncoming drop. I could taste blood in my mouth, when I suddenly slammed forward so hard. It hurt. My forehead and my shoulder. I was slumped sideways, against the door, but I can’t move at all. I tried to make a sound but nothing came out. Someone’s hand was grabbing mine, pulling. It felt warm, safe. I held on tight, but it was still too painful. So I let the hand pull while I drift off.

 

*****

 

It was an unfamiliar room, big and spacious and well-decorated. I slowly pushed myself up but winced when a sharp pain ran across my shoulder.

 

“Oh, you’re awake?” an unfamiliar face asked.

 

“Yea…” I said weakly, unable to move my shoulder at all.

 

She came over and helped my up but the pain was still biting me.

 

“Here, take these. Painkillers for the pain,” she said, passing me two white pills. I took them.

 

“Who are you?” I asked, the strange woman who looked a little familiar but not so.

 

“Me? I’m Kwon Dami, Ji Yong’s noona. Thanks to you, he’s back in his room, locked himself up again,” she said, smiling sarcastically. I guess she doesn’t like me at all. “Oh and everyone else is so worried about you they can’t even enjoy their break.”

 

“Sorry… I didn’t mean to bring trouble. But where… What time is it?” I asked her, feeling deeply apologetic. Its dark outside already and I see the pathways lit up with chains of lights across the street lamps.

 

“Around 10. You slept the whole afternoon away after the doctor came. A small fracture. You’ll heal fast,” she replied, walking to the other end of the room and bringing me japchae noodles.

 

“It’s leftover from dinner just now. Umma insists I give it to you. If you feel like eating it, eat it.”

 

I took over the bowl of japchae noodles gratefully and ate it. I was famished and it was delicious. The only downside was the fact that my arm hurts even if I moved it a little.

 

“Did Ji Yong umma cook this? It’s fantastic. I’ve never tasted such nice japchae noodles before!” I said between mouthfuls, even if I looked a little unglam.

 

“My appa cooked it. He was excited to see his son and his friends but Ji came home looking like and Seung Hyun was rushing you in here, bloody. Some nice welcome,” she huffed, taking back the empty bowl.

 

I immediately felt remorseful again, but at the same time, I am alive. I really thought I was going to die, then and that without saying my last words but I guess the car stopped in time. And the hand, the warm hand that pulled mine.

 

The door opened and Ji Yong umma came in.

 

“Eun Ji, you’re awake now! Is Dami giving you a hard time? Both she and her brother are such insensitive creatures. Aigoo, you poor girl, we were going to celebrate for you but you’re broken here and there? Is it painful?” she asked, sitting down on the bed.

 

“Umma, Ji Yong is the one who’s hiding in his room and won’t come out! Why are you still concerned with this bad girl?” Dami unnie snapped. “My boy is crying to see his uncle but he can’t!”

 

“Don’t shout at your umma! Go out and join the others, leave me here. You know your brother, he’s not going to come out at all,” Ji Yong umma said, her kind face getting irritated but she still put her caring hand on mine. Dami unnie walked out, slamming the door loudly behind her.

 

“Sorry Eun Ji, my daughter is just too overprotective of her brother. Can you stand up? Everyone wants to meet you. Come, I’ll help you,” she said, wrapping her arms around my waist, careful not to hit my shoulder. I slipped my feet into the slippers and followed her out.

 

Outside my room, it was brightly lit, with modern and contemporary designs. I saw a few paintings here and there, and the whole place felt so spacious and airy. So this was the pension Ji Yong bought for his parents. It looked amazing. We came to the common room, where everyone was.

 

“Eun Ji!” they called out. I smiled at them. Seung Hyun’s hand was hurt, was he the one who pulled me out? Did he hurt his hand while pulling me?

 

I joined the girls on the couch.

 

“We were going to have a karaoke battle. Do you think you’re up for it?” Bom unnie asked, and I can tell they all didn’t want to talk about the accident. I preferred it that way too. There’s no need for all these negative energy to spoil the atmosphere.

 

“Why not? But I don’t know that many Korean songs, I don’t even know what Big Bang or 2NE1 was before,” I admitted, feeling a little embarrassed.

 

“Really?” Min Ji said, her face a look of pure disbelief.

 

“It’s okay, just go with the flow, you’ll make it, its super easy,” Tae Yang said, passing me the mic and cranking up the machine. Ji Yong umma had quietly left the room, leaving the youngsters together. Till now, I haven’t seen Mr Kwon at all.

 

A familiar tune started playing. This… It sounds like the song I keep hearing everywhere.

 

“What’s this song?” I asked. “It’s everywhere…"

 

“This? It’s one of Big Bang’s. I’m surprised that you hear it now still,” Daesung said, stealing the microphone from Tae Yang.

 

Karaoke is fun, and I even sang along to some songs but most of the time, I sat there rocking to the music. Good music. But as I watch the videos play out, I can’t help but notice the way Ji Yong looked in them. He put so much into the music, the video, the whole production. He made every bit spectacular. The best part is that you can see him truly smile.  And I thoroughly enjoyed myself but there comes a point when your eyes can barely open. Even though I slept the whole day away, my shoulder still hurt and I felt tired. I excused myself from the others, their energy still high.

 

I padded to my bedroom, stopping just by my door. The room next door was locked. I knocked on the door. Twice and once twisting the knob. He still refused to open up.

 

“Yah, Ji Yong, open the door. I want to talk to you. Please?”

 

There was no reply.

 

“I know you aren’t sleeping yet, I can see the light. Please just open the door and talk to me,” I begged.

 

The light turned off.

 

“Be that way but listen to me right now. I’m going to say this with that door between us. This, is not your fault. It shouldn’t have happened but it did. But it’s not anyone’s fault, it just happened that way. You, me, and Seung Hyun, we are all fine so put it behind you and come out. If not tonight, tomorrow.”

 

“You’re not fine,” I heard him say.

 

“I am fine. I just hurt my shoulder, a bit. It would heal soon and I’ll be the same again. It is no one’s business what happened to me and I take responsibility for my own body. But you, don’t be responsible for others, be responsible for yourself first,” I finished my piece and with a goodnight, I tucked myself into bed.

 

Sometime, late at night, when the moon and the stars are shining at its brightest, the door clicked opened. Footsteps approached my bed and my sheets were lifted. The presence made itself known by lying down next to me. The bed dipped under his weight and I could feel his bare cold skin. I tuned my body around to face him, looking into his forlorn eyes.

 

“It’s a nice place you’ve got here,” I whispered. “There are many stars.”

 

“I know, that’s why I came. To feel safe, to feel at home,” he said, his fingers interlacing with mine. “But it doesn’t feel that safe.”

 

“What is safe? No one can predict safe. But you are and I am and we are all going to be fine. I think right here, right now, it’s where it’s safe.”

 

“But I was so scared that you will leave like she did. So I pulled you out. I pulled so hard and there was blood,” he said, shutting his eyes tight.

 

“I’m here. And I promised. I will never leave you until we are both fine. That’s in the past and it won’t happen again, not to us,” I said, closing my eyes too. “We are safe, like this.”

 

*****

 

A/N: There you go! I took a pretty damn long time, didn't I? But check out my other GD fic called Fortune if you want. As always, thank you for reading and leave your nice words behind. :D

 

*****

Fortune

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/646036

Oh Yool is accused of murder and the only who can help her is Kwon Jiyong, the man who betrayed her at the very last moment.

 

 

*****