TO THE DAYS THAT PASSED

WRECK

CHAPTER 20 | TO THE DAYS THAT PASSED

 

*****

 

Two days went by quickly. In the three days I spent here, I’ve received more love than I had in my whole life. Ji Yong’s umma and appa were such kind people, showing me so much concern and attended to my needs. Even Da Mi, started warming up when I played with her kid. The Chae Rin and her girls were fun, entertaining me with their dancing and singing, and the boys with their crude jokes that made me laugh out loud. Ji Yong… He’s better. Much better and I’m glad. The presence of his family and friends, and the change of environment, in just three days and the accident that happened. I grabbed my luggage with my abled hand, while Ji Yong helped me carry my other bag. We were the last to leave. Everyone was waiting outside the house.

 

“Eun Ji, thank you for making me come home, and for coming along,” he said.

 

I smiled because the sun was shining, the birds were chirping and he was happy. I treasure our friendship a lot, but in the three days I spent here, I did some thinking. In less than a month, it’ll be over. He’s going to be healthy enough to go back to his work and passion, and I, after my first exhibition, I’ll go home. Father isn’t in the pink of health, mother’s making a mess of the company, and I’ve done much more than I can imagine. I don’t know what’s going to happen then but I know, I have to return and he has too.

 

So I smiled and we walked out to meet everyone.

 

Ji Yong umma grabbed me into a tight hug.

 

“Come back soon, Eun Ji. I’ll make many nice foods for you,” she said, patting my back lightly.

 

“Thanks for having me, I had a great time here. Stay healthy, Ji Yong umma!” I said brightly, getting into the car. The door slammed after me and I waved to the couple who showed me care for the past days. I watched Ji Yong hug his parents before climbing back into the car. Dae Sung was driving and we were leaving. To go back to our lives.

 

*****

 

I’ve arrived home just before twelve. Ji Yong was helping me with my bags while I opened the door to the apartment. I the lights and took off my shoes.

 

“Honey, you’re home,” someone said. A woman’s voice.

 

I walked in quickly and saw a woman’s back, sitting on the couch. Her face was turned away from me but she was holding a glass of red wine in her hand. She turned.

 

“Who are you?” I asked.

 

Her eyes flashed and her lips turned into a snarl. In an instance, she had a scary air about her.

 

“You. You are finally back. The who seduced my husband,” her voice was low, as she approached me. She threw the glass of wine down onto the floor as Ji Yong walked in.

 

“I will make you pay today!” she shouted, her hand smacking me across my face. Who was this woman and why is she in here? Why is she even slapping me?

 

“Yah!” Ji Yong shouted as he rushed forward to hold her oncoming hand. “Who are you?” he asked.

 

“Who am I? I’m the woman of this house! Get out of my way! I will teach her a lesson today!” she thrashed wildly, her breath stank of alcohol. I’m stunned standing here. What is going on?

 

“STOP IT! Kanzaki, stop!” Teacher Li shouted. His sudden presence came as a comfort to this erratic woman. He came through the door and pulled her away. They spoke in rapid Japanese, too fast for me to understand. As she spoke, I could feel her anger rushing again, as she pointed to me, eyes with fury.

 

“HER! She’s your lover, isn’t she?” she said hysterically, now with tears pouring out, smearing her mascara. Her fingers curled around Teacher Li’s wrists, nails digging into his flesh. He did not even show an ounce of pain. Nor hatred. He twirled her around and held her face in his arms gently, forcing her to throw her deadly glares away from me.

 

“Kanzaki, listen to me, she’s a friend who needs help so I gave her a place to stay. You, no one can replace you in my heart. Calm down and listen to me. You’re tired so go to sleep. Tomorrow, we’ll talk and settle things,” he said, placing his hands on the low of her back and gently guiding her back to his room. Her slippers padded down the hallway, in sync with his.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

I turned around, almost forgetting Ji Yong is standing there. I nodded my head, picked up my bag, and went to my room. He followed suit, a shell-shocked expression still on his face. I threw myself on the bed, wincing when I hit my shoulder.

 

“Well, that was intense,” I said. “I never knew Teacher Li had a wife.”

 

“No one did,” he said sitting down beside me while I pushed myself up. “That is why I don’t like the world. Humans are so duplicitous, even myself at times. I hate those who lie to me the most.”

 

I froze. Hate. Lie. Duplicitous. I am a liar. And if he ever found out the truth, would he hate me? Would he walk away and turn back into his old ways, after so long?

 

“Ji Yong, one day, what if I told you I’m not who I am, that I’m just some random person who shouldn’t be here, shouldn’t even know you. Would you hate me?” I asked.

 

“Yes.”

 

The door opened and Teacher Li came in.

 

“Eun Ji, I want to talk to you,” he said, eyeing Ji Yong beside me. “Alone.”

 

Ji Yong stood up and left and Teacher Li sat down by my study table.

 

“Eun Ji, I’m sorry about Kanzaki’s outburst. It’s very sudden and she just came back from Japan, I didn’t know she would come here,” he said. “But I guess I owe you an explanation seeing what she did to you. She’s very sick and was put in a rehab back in Japan. She left about a week ago and came to Korea without me knowing. I didn’t tell her about you so she overreacted and she’s emotionally unstable. I’ll apologize on her behalf but I think it’s time you leave. I’m sorry.”

 

Oh.

 

“Yes, I think so too. I’ll move out right away if it’s inconveniencing you. I promise I’ll hand in my paintings on time. I… I’ll pack my things now,” I said, standing up and walking over to the closet.

 

“Eun Ji, where do you intend to go?” he asked.

 

“Upstairs, I guess. Most of my paints are there…” And someone else who accepts me.

 

“You know, I don’t know if you have figured it out yet, you like that guy. It’s not that obvious, but something is there. I know because I have Kanzaki,” he continued. My eyes widened at his words.

 

“Doo Joon? I… I’m not talking to him at the moment,” I said, hurriedly stuffing all my clothes into my luggage.

 

“No, of course not him. Him. The one you spent most of your time and nights with. You like him, or even more than that. Don’t think I don’t know, you get all upset and angry and then the next moment he comes to the door apologizing. And your heart pounces doesn’t it, every time you see him even though he’s all drunk and drugged. You hurt at times because of him but at the end of the day, you always forgive him and go back to him. I feel that with Kanzaki, at times when she couldn’t even see me clearly because of her sickness. And I think about her, when I don’t see her and I miss her dearly. You don’t feel all this with Doo Joon, that I could bet. He likes you but you obviously doesn’t like him.”

 

“No. We are just friends. It’s not possible between us,” I said, zipping up my bag.

 

Of course, it’s impossible. We had a deal, a two month deal and it’ll be over soon. And I’m going back to my world and him to his, our paths would most likely never cross ever again. Because we are similar yet different.

 

“You can deny all you want but you know it the best. Come, I’ll bring your bags up for you,” he said, smiling like he knows he’s right. And he might just be.

 

I keyed the password in and unlocked Ji Yong’s door. The television was on inside, lights flashing in the dark room.

 

“Just leave the bags here, Hong Chul. I’ll get them in slowly. Thank you so much, for giving me shelter when I needed it,” I said, pulling him into a hug.

 

“No problem, when you need someone, come find me. I’m just downstairs,” he said, patting me on the back. “And when the day comes for you two to live happily ever after, remember me who guided you into the right direction.”

 

“No Hong Chul, we are in no way romantically involved. Not like the way you think but in the future when I’m getting married, you’re the first one I’ll call.”

 

He laughed again and waved for a last time before disappearing into the lift.

 

I made my way into the dark apartment, lest for the lights from the television.

 

“Ji Yong,” I called out. “Can you help me with these?”

 

A figure stood up, his figure illuminated from the television brightness. He wasn’t wearing a top and his hair was mussed up. My heart was pounding.

 

“You are moving in now?” he asked, sounding seemingly annoyed.

 

“Yeah well, where else am I supposed to go? I was kicked out,” I said, raising an eyebrow. He let out a sigh and started lifting up my bags. I slammed the door shut behind me and followed him into his room.

 

I’m confused, there’s another room, why isn’t he bringing my stuff over there?

 

“Yah, why did you put my stuff here?” I asked.

 

“Do you want to sleep on the cold hard floor with your paints splattered all around?” he threw a question back at me.

 

I guess he does make sense after all. There’s no way I could fall asleep on the ground like that. Besides, it’s not like I haven’t slept on his bed before. It’s so natural to do it now. At that thought, my heart started pounding again.

 

“Let’s go to sleep now. You can unpack your stuff tomorrow,” he said, crawling into the covers.

 

“Oh yeah, sure,” I said, carefully slipping in beside him. His bare skin touched mine, and it wasn’t cold, it was warmth.

 

“Hold my hand Eun Ji, so I can sleep,” he said. I entwined my fingers with his and smiled. This is something I can get used to. Ji Yong’s a healthy person now, and some time later, my smile faded. I can’t let myself get used to this.

 

My eyes stayed wide open in the darkness. His steady breathing beside me was like a melody but I still can’t sleep. The clock was ticking, counting down the number of days I have left. Two weeks.

 

My phone beeped.

 

Doo Joon:

Eun Ji, can we meet tomorrow? I need to talk to you. I missed you.

 

I put my phone down and closed my eyes.

 

 

*****

 

A/N: One word: FINALLY. I hope I'm moving a bit faster in this story now and that this chapter actually does move us forward. Damn, I'm real sorry about being MIA for so long...

 

*****

Fortune

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/646036

Oh Yool is accused of murder and the only who can help her is Kwon Jiyong, the man who betrayed her at the very last moment.

 

******