thirty-three

If SMTown Moved On...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

thirty-three

 

 

  “Oh gawd, that baby’s a crying machine.”

  Yoona threw a dry look at Kyuhyun, folding her arms with much agitation. “Excuse me?” She raised an eyebrow. “Dear, dear Kyuhyun-oppa, you’re not trying to tell me that your daughters were silent mutes throughout their first few months, are you?” She questioned him, her words dripping with sarcasm.

  “I’m just wondering how on earth that one-month-old Xun hasn’t lost his voice with all his screeching, and besides, my daughters both inherited my flawless voice, so their cries are equivalent to music.” Kyuhyun said defensively. “…I can’t say the same about Xun, though.”

  “What the-“ Yoona was in disbelief, shaking her fist at him, as if she was ready to pummel him to pieces. “Cho Kyuhyun, do you want to get yourself-“

  “Now, now.” Victoria was quick to intervene, taking a seat in between them both. “Why don’t you both hush up, and maybe Luhan can cradle Xun to sleep in peace.” She gestured towards Luhan, who was standing at the balcony whilst crooning softly to the sobbing Xun. “…Don’t you agree, Min?”

  Changmin nodded his head in immediate agreement. “You two need to grow up…” He paused for a moment. “It’s amusing though.” He added a comment, considering the thought to himself.

  Victoria tilted her head to the side in confusion. “What’s amusing?”

  “Yoona and Minho used to be at loggerheads with each other before each of us got hooked up, but now, it’s now the both of you who are constantly having petty little quarrels.” He remarked, chuckling as both Yoona and Kyuhyun threw him furious glares. He raised up his hands, as if to show that his comment was not meant to offend them. “But hey, maybe it’s the kids.”

  “Shim Changmin, you and Yeonhee have it too good.” Yoona pointed out, seeming rather frustrated as she did so. “You have no kids, a housemaid to help you clean out your apartment, and you’re not even married – no obligations whatsoever. But, for people like us, who actually have our pants hitched to someone else, we’ve actually got responsibilities.”

  “Yoong-ah, you’ve actually got Luhan tending to your every whim, don’t you?” Minho teased, purposefully rubbing it in. “Well, who asked you to get married so early?”

  “At least Luhan had the nerve to buy a ring and get down on his knee.” Yoona stuck her nose in the air, huffing as she turned away from him. “Unlike some people.”

  Just as Minho was about to rebutt her, Victoria interceded once more, assuming her role as the mediator. “…Actually, Min-ah, like it or not, Yoona’s actually right. You should get married, especially since you’ll hit your thirties sooner or later.”

  “Oh right, right; so what you’re telling me to do is this – though Soyeon and I have only dated for a few months, I’m supposed to scrape out my lifelong savings, buy her some ten-carat ring, and call it a day?” Minho emphasized on his words, hints of sarcasm within them. “…I am not thirty, alright? I’m twenty-eight. Not thirty, twenty-eight. I can wait two more years.”

  “Better early than late, dude.” Kyuhyun nudged him on the shoulder.

  “…Says the dude who got his wife pregnant less than a month after their marriage.” Minho stifled a laugh, earning himself a rough shove from Kyuhyun. “Cool it, dude! I’m just saying that I’m not ready to settle down yet.”

  “Hey, I knew Soyeon-noona since our debut days, and though she seems materialistic at times, she’s the sort of girl who’d desire some sort of reassurance in life.” Changmin kindly offered his advice. “Considering the fact that you’ve been having quite a few girls involved in your life, don’t you think it’s right for you to-“

  “Hyung, you’re one to talk – Yeonhee and you aren’t even married after more than five years of dating!” Minho protested, plainly pointing the facts out. “Talk about being a scaredy-cat ~” And he, once again, received a whack on the stomach by a flustered Changmin.

  “Minho, don’t be like Sehun.” Yoona interjected, enunciating on her words. “He’s driven everyone up the wall with his indecisiveness. I think you’re way more mature than he is, and you ought to be more mature than he is. Settle down with Soyeon, have kids, and then begin a whole new life…” She paused steadily. “…You’ll be a lot happier that way.”

  Minho didn’t make effort to refute her, instead, he listened intently. “Do you really think so, Yoong-ah?”

  She nodded her head vigorously, seeming sure of herself. “Of course I do, Minho. You seem a lot, a lot more cheerful nowadays, and it’s evident that Soyeon’s playing a part-“

  “I think both of you should’ve gotten married.” Victoria heaved a sigh, putting her head on her hands. “The more I look, the more I think the both of you should’ve ended up together – remind me again why you guys are not happily married with two Choi Minho and Im Yoona lookalikes?” She gave them a teasing smile.

  And both instantly stood up, roaring in defense, tickling their leader. The entire room was enveloped in buoyant laughter, jovial jokes and warm smiles, and for a moment, the five of them were taken back to the past once more. Just like they were, many years before.

  Circumstances had changed. Feelings hadn’t.

 

 

  “I heard you had a good time. Especially good.” Seohyun remarked, chewing her roast beef in a very ladylike manner, at the same time, making effort to sit upright. “In any case, there hasn’t been a time that you didn’t have a good time when you meet up with those five. They’re your line anyway.”

  Kyuhyun chuckled softly. “They’re a good lot. Good friends. A bit whacky, often problematic, but definitely trustworthy.” He let out a small, somewhat awkward laugh as he stared at his almost-clean plate. “We’ve shared a lot of times together, and today’s meet-up made me feel sort of… nostalgic? Oh well.”

  Seohyun smiled calmly. “I think the five of you are interesting when you’re together. It’s funny how you all ended up hitching yourselves to different people.” Her comment was slightly tactless, but it was the sort of tact that she controlled, even as she spoke carelessly.

  “Why? Are you suggesting that I should’ve asked either Vic or Yoong out?” Kyuhyun prompted her teasingly. “…Never thought you’d think that way, honey.”

  “No, of course not. You’re mine, and that’s definite.” She said firmly, but keeping her calm composure. “I’m talking about the others.”

  “The others?” Kyuhyun raised his head, gazing at her quizzically. “This is about Soyeon-noona, isn’t it?” A sly smile curved at the corner of his lips. “I get it, I get it – you’re still not that fond of Soyeon-noona, aren’t you? Well, I should remind you, you know, that she’s the one who offered to babysit Seonjung and Yeonjung so the both of us could have dinner out.”

  Seohyun did not return his smile, but neither did she scowl. “Soyeon can be exceptionally sweet when she wants to be, but she’s extremely moody as well, at times. She’s reserved, in other words, she’s haughty and she’s opinionated. And there’s another thing – she’s not honest.” Seohyun said her words silkily, with slight sharpness in her words. “…Not the sort of girl that Minho should have.”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter