thirty

If SMTown Moved On...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

thirty

 

 

  Distinct shrieks were heard through the dimly lit hospital corridor, causing everyone sitting on the vacant seats or leaning against the whitewash walls to wince. It was noon, but the storm had befallen the city and the sounds that filled the corridor were either those shrieks, anxious murmurs, or the occasional claps of thunder accompanied by the hailing of the rain. It all eventually led to a gloomy, dismal atmosphere being formed, with a tinge of agitation and worry to add on to it.

  A loud patter of footsteps startled everyone, as they all turned their eyes to the source of th noise. Sehun had arrived with a frantic, paranoid expression upon his face, and as he approached the others, he rubbed his hands, seeming rather uneasy. Krystal, who was present as well, instinctively turned away to avoid possible eye contact, and Sehun, he noticed her reaction but he barely took any notice of it.

  “…How’s everything, where’s Yoona-noona and Luhan-hyung?” He stepped over to a rather distressed-looking Kris, hints of concern in his tone. “Is she alright? Is the birth proceeding smoothly? A Cesarean section doesn’t have to be performed, right?”

  Kris pursed his lips, folding his arms. “No, the baby will probably be born through natural birth, but still… It’s been one hour already and-“ A sudden shriek echoed down the corridor, and the both of them flinched. “…Yeah, well, you get my point.”

  “Well, we can look on the bright side, right?” Chanyeol spoke up, attempting to be optimistic. “Another kid to our EXO family, and then someone else could be the godfather~”

  Suho’s ears perked up. “Oh, I’m so up for that! I’ll beat all of you to it!”

  Tao stared back at him with vicious glints in his eyes. “Heck no.”

  “All of you guys are kidding, right?” Baekhyun interrupted, pushing forward his opinion. “I’m the one who’ll be the godfather, okay? The kids all love Uncle Bacon.”

  “Nah, they love Uncle Kyungsoo better,” D.O rebutted. “I’m cuter.”

  Sehun heard the sound of soft sobs, and he whipped his head around to see Jun weeping quietly, curled up into a ball at the edge of his seat with his hands wrapped around his legs, sitting forlornly at the corner, all on his own. Pain pierced through Sehun’s heart as he saw his godson in such a state, and anxiety riveted through him as well. Anxiety, so much anxiety overwhelmed him, to the point that he could barely stop himself.

  “Shut up!” He barked harshly at his group members. “…You all couldn’t be bothered to keep Jun company and you’re still ranting about being the godfather of Luhan-hyung’s second kid? You’re all ridiculous!” After snapping at them, he carefully stepped towards Jun, sitting next to him and placing an arm on his shoulder. “…Hey buddy, you okay?”

  “... Mommy’s screaming… And screaming… and screaming…” Jun blubbered, at the same time not trying to be too loud. “Mommy’s in so much pain… And I can’t help Mommy… I don’t want Mommy to be in pain… I don’t want Mommy to be hurt… I want to help… help… Mommy… I don’t want Mommy… to die… What if Mommy dies? …I want Mommy to be with me forever, and ever, and ever!”

  Sehun was slightly taken aback, for it was the first time he had seen Jun in such a state. Jun was a boy who hardly teared up, in fact, Sehun had never seen Jun cry before. Instantly, it was as though Sehun’s fatherly instincts were lured out, his sympathy reaching towards Jun. And for that moment, he wanted to comfort little Jun, he wanted to coax him and ease him of his worries.

  “Jun, your mommy won’t die.” Sehun patted Jun’s back gently, attempting to soothe him. “Your daddy’s with your mommy, and your daddy will take care of your mommy… You’re going to get a baby sibling, Jun, how about being happy about that?”

  Jun shook his head vehemently. “The baby’s hurting Mommy! I don’t want Mommy to be hurt… I don’t want a sibling… I just want Mommy, I want Mommy!” Jun sniffled, rubbing his eyes in a rough manner. “I always make Mommy worried about me, but Mommy always loves me, Mommy always makes me my favourite food and she washes my smelly socks… Mommy shoos the monsters away from under my bed, Mommy hugs me at night and sleeps together with me when I have nightmares… I love Mommy… I want Mommy, just Mommy…”

  It was then that Krystal, who was sitting a few seats away, realized that the fruit of Yoona’s effort had borne within Jun. Devotion and sacrifice had led Jun to be worried to such an extent. Jun, a boy who didn’t cry and could pose witty comments to get what he wanted, a boy who was obstinate and stubborn, a boy who was pretty much fearless… He had cried, truly let out heart-wrenching sobs out of worry for his mother.

  As she watched Sehun trying his ultimate best to reassure Jun, she began to reflect upon herself. Throughout many parts of her life, of her relationships, she had been conceited and self-absorbed, barely caring for anything else except her own desires. She had forced her opinions upon others and expected others to comply to her every whim. But it was right at that moment when she came to a realization that she couldn’t be like that anymore, she couldn’t.

  Slowly, she shifted towards them. “Jun, your mommy will be fine.” She intervened, somewhat astonishing Sehun. “Your mommy’s a good person. Your daddy won’t let her die, either. Not after what she’s done for you.”

  Sehun blinked, partially surprised. That’s not Krystal Jung. “…Auntie Krystal’s right, Jun-ah. Things will be fine, and for now, we’ll be here for you, okay buddy?”

  Jun nodded, still sobbing softly. “Mm…”

  And then Sehun gazed at Krystal.

  I’m sorry.

  It was as though the same message was being conveyed through their one deep gaze, though they were barely unsure why they both had yielded at the same time. The unsaid words hovered in the air, but…

  The both of them understood.

 

 

  “AHHH!” Yoona wailed, screaming her lungs out. “It hurts, it hurts!”

  Luhan’s hands were clasped around his wife’s ones tightly, wincing as he heard her shriek. Beads of perspiration were rolling down the both of their foreheads, and equal anxiety was riled up within the both of them. They had been at it for more than an hour, and it was pure hell for both. For her, it was the physical pain of seemingly having her body ripped to shreds, and for him, it was having his min

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter