twenty

If SMTown Moved On...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

twenty

 

 

  “I didn’t know you had beer at your place.” Minho grinned for a moment, before taking a sip from the can. “…You’re not the type to keep alcoholic drinks.”

  Sulli chuckled. “I’m not always good. I just didn’t announce it to the world just in case all of you guys start coming to hoard free beer.” She leaned against the couch, continuing to chuckle. “But you could come though, Minho-oppa, any time you want – free beer’s here.”

  “Don’t worry, too much beer is fattening.” He patted his abdomen proudly. “I’d like to keep my six-pack.”

  “Whoever your wife will be – she’ll definitely be very satisfied.”

  “I take that as a compliment.”

  Sulli erupted in giggles at the thought of it. “You boys are erts.”

  “Not always – for me, not yet at least.” Minho still kept up his smile, though somewhat feigned. “But that doesn’t matter. For now that doesn’t matter, however, for you, you’ve got a more serious matter at hand, don’t you?” He shifted his gaze to her, shooting her a rather indicative question. “…Something that’s yet to be solved?”

  “Didn’t I tell you that I’m still thinking, that I’m considering not to-“ Sulli was about to switch the topic, attempting to avoid it.

  Minho made a brief interruption. “That’s not what you should do.”

  “…I know.” Sulli heaved a sigh, feeling rather distressed. “But the problem is, I don’t know whether I should do what I should be doing, or what I want to do.”

  “But do you even know what you want to do?” Minho prompted her inquiringly. “Breaking up with Taemin, breaking off the wedding and probably breaking your own heart – is that what you want? Getting hurt, and having painful wounds scarred all over your heart for the rest of your life, with regret and anguish eventually overcoming you, is that what you want?”

  Sulli was struck hard by his words, putting her into an even deeper dilemma. “…I don’t want to hurt myself, and I don’t want to hurt him. It’s just that I’m not sure whether I should proceed with such a wedding, considering that we’re so unstable and that we’ve got so many doubts between us.”

  Minho inhaled deeply. “Ssul, no relationship is perfect. And if you’re just going to stay on the calm waters though your floater has already floated to the deep end, you’re never going to be able to reach true contention. Nothing’s going to work out that way, and nothing will work out that way.” He reached her hand, gazing at her warmly. “…Go back to Taemin and marry him.”

  “Why are you so sure?” Sulli asked, still very much perplexed. “You sound like you’re sure everything will work out, like you’re sure nothing’s going to go wrong and like you’re sure that me and Taemin’s marriage will last forever.”

  “…Because I’ve felt the same feelings before.” Minho admitted, recalling bitter memories. “Twice, at that. The first time I couldn’t even make my feelings clear and Yoona was snatched away several times, right in front of my eyes. And the second time, I let Krystal walk away without even holding her back. It’s my cowardice, stupidity and hesitation. You and Taemin are as close to me as siblings, Ssul, and the last thing I want is for you to make the same mistakes I did.”

  And Sulli knew he was doubtlessly right. She was being insecure because the small problems seemed to obscure even larger, more difficult issues, and all in all, she just became even more perturbed, and thus the truth was enshrouded by all these useless insecurities that she was no longer sure of what the truth really was. And she knew that she could no longer let such doubts obscure her. She could not. It was destroying her, destroying Taemin, and would eventually everyone else. She could not hesitate any longer.

  “…Thank you, Minho. Your advice is definitely insightful, and…I’m grateful for it.”

  “You’ll marry Taemin?”

  “I will.”

  Minho smiled, a rush of warmth running through him. “…That’s good, Ssul.”

  “But you’ve got to make me a promise too.” Sulli said severely, gripping his hand. “…Go on a blind date. I’ve got someone in mind, someone that will probably suit you.”

  “Ssul, I don’t-“

  “I don’t want you to be in such pain anymore. You’re still caught in the midst of the past, whilst both Yoona-unnie and Krystal have moved on. You’ve got to move on as well, and I’m going to help you.”

  “…Fine.” Minho complied, though rather reluctantly. “One condition.”

  “What?”

  “She better be pretty.” He joked jovially.

  He ducked as Sulli’s hand flew across his head to swat him.

 

 

  She gently poured the herbal tea into an intricate teacup, causing the sweet yet rather pungent smell fill the room. Drawing the curtains open, she allowed the morning light to seep through the frosted glass windows, shining upon both their faces. A few days had passed since her return, and she had chosen not to purge the issue, not yet, however, time had come for the truth to be set in stone, or at least, it was time for the truth to reach her ears.

  He ran his fingers through his hair, rubbing his eyes sleepily as he sat up. “…Morning, Vic.”

 
  Subconsciously, a smile curved upon her lips as well. “Good morning, Mi.” Gently, she handed him the cup of tea. “Here, it’s osmanthus and jasmine tea, but I added in some wolfberries as well. It’s good to make the body feel relaxed, it calms the mind and makes you feel more at ease.”

  Considering everything that had happened between them, he debated whether to take the cup in his hands and drink from it, or to begin his apology. “…Thank you.” But then again, he was unsure of how to start, so he just chose to let silence envelop them for a short moment, as he sipped the tea.

  Her eyes lingered upon him for a moment, slightly doubtful as well. It was a queer feeling, to be sitting next to him yet to be far away from him. So close, yet incredibly far. She had never felt distanced from him before, but at that moment, she felt that she was flung into a spot far, far away, or it was him, just him that seemed to take steps away from her. This indescribable pain gripped her heart, for it was the silence that hurt her more than her presumptions.  

  “...I’m sorry, Vic.” Zhou Mi murmured, barely able to swallow his tea. Setting the cup aside, he turned to look at her. “I didn’t have an affair, you know that, don’t you?” With hope in his heart, he reached for her palm, holding it gently. “…I didn’t.”

  She knew that all too well, but even as she tried to give him a nod, all she could do was jerk her head away, avoiding his gaze. “…I know you didn’t. You’re not… You won’t…” She mumbled listlessly. “You’re just not the sort of person to do such a thing. You’re too…” She held her breath, steadying herself. “…You’re a good man, Mi.”

  “I would never leave you and Huiling behind.” Zhou Mi said earnestly. “…Never.”

  “I know… I know.” She muttered, still rather hesitant. “But then why? Why did you have another woman’s perfume on you? Why were there pink smudges on your coat? Why did you take off your wedding ring?”

  He tightened his grip on her. “…Luna.”

  “Luna?”

  He took a deep breath, mustering his courage to admit the truth. “You are well-aware of all the drama that’s going on between Sehun, Sulli, Taemin and Krystal… I knew you were aware of it. And I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter