Chapter 5

A good heart

VOGUE Korea

[Studio]

„A little to the right side CL ssi“ „Perfect” The photographer instructed CL.

“It’s a wrap. Good job everyone” After he checked the pictures on the laptop. He gave a satisfied smile and thanked CL for her professionalism.

“Honey ginger tea for you Unnie,” Minzy handed CL the drink. They became close after CL’s party and CL treated her like her own sister. So the rumours of CL being diva-like perhaps came for her rivals, she assumed.

Ever since CL won last season’s Korea’s Next Top Model, her fame shot up. She was a free-lance model before but with that new title, she became the most sought-after face in the industry. Offers came in but she declined most of the offers that involve being interviewed, especially offers to be the cover girl since she had to answer many questions and some would be concerning her private life. And that troubles her.

Due to the multiple offer turn-downs, some assumed that she developed a diva attitude and bad gossips were spreading around. CL tried to clear things up so that’s why she agreed to Dara’s request to be in VOGUE’s next issue.

CL glanced at the list of questions that Dara has prepared. Dara on the other hand was preparing her notebook and a recorder, in case she missed any word CL said.

“ Dara yah, who came up with these? I mean, they are not simple questions like what people normally ask in an interview” CL wondered. She did have few interviews before and the questions that were asked are mostly similar and cliché, and she finds it amusing since she could answer them perfectly without thinking, giving also cliché answers.

“Unnie came up with it. And I’m sure you know Dara better than me Unnie. She has the best brain as a writer so it’s obvious her questions for the interview would also be different.” Minzy explained. She is now sitting beside Dara, and opposite of CL’s manager.

“I’m just a freaking model, not a contestant vying for Miss World. Are you trying to make me look dumb when I answer these Dara?” CL is frustrated. She now regretted the idea of going for this interview. “There goes my image fixing,” She faked a sad face and turned towards her manager. Sigh.

“Don’t worry Chaerin ah. I’m sure when this gets published, your image will be back to the amazing-warm-hearted-lovable CL who also happen to be the y and stunning Korea’s next top model.” “And I’m here to help you, arrasso” she reassured CL.

 

====================================================================================================================

 

“”Aishh.. I have no idea.. hmm..  next question please.”

“Urmm.. I don’t have an answer to that, pass”

“What kind of question is that? Seriously Dara yah”

“Ohh myy.. this is harder than I thought, just figure some answer will you”

Dara raised her eyebrows, this interview is not giving her anything. Literally there’s nothing  to write about. She couldn’t change the questions since Gummy specifically ordered her to stick with them. Surely a lot of Editors were trying to get CL on the cover and this time they were lucky enough that CL agreed to VOGUE. That’s the reason Gummy wanted Dara for the task.

“Chaerin you’re not helping me here. This is not how an interview works. You’ve gotta give me some answers so I could at least have something to add to it”

“Please Dara, can you just help me this time. I’ll give you my new pair of Louboutin heels, Limited Edition” CL tried to bribe her and looked at her with those puppy eyes.

“Still no, you have to at least answer these Chaerin ah” Dara said with her authoritive voice.

“Fine, sheesh, you do take your job here seriously,” She pouted, and Minzy giggled at her antics.

“Last question CL, what do you want most in the world right now?” Dara asked the now tired CL. She agreed to answer the questions but it was still not enough for Dara. So she will just come up with something on her own on behalf of CL.

“A Hermes Birkin Bag, my girlfriends gave me only a replica of it on my birthday recently and I hoped to own one someday.” CL said jokingly. Everyone knew how expensive those are and to once the specific color is sold out, you could expect months of waiting. *yeah how did I know? I once entered a Hermes store.. Woot wottss.. And asked them about a specific bag, not for me of course. Had to wait for 3 freaking months!!!*

 

========================================================================================================================

 

1 week later

“Mingkki, get these copied please, and please arrange the original for Gummy.” Bom said to Minzy. Once again it’s not actually her task but she wanted to help so much so Bom allowed her.

“Arasso Unnie”

“And while you’re at that, please pass these to Lee Hi” Bom handed her  a red file.

“She does work hard don’t you think?” Dara stated to Bom. Minzy just went out to the copy room.

 “And I remembered that’s how you were like when you first started” Dara said this time while her eyes still focused on finishing with proof-reading.

“I can see that too. It has always been my dream since high school to be working for some fashion magazine” Bom remembered their childhood dreams and how they ended up working together. From a young age they would read and write since there’s not much they could do. Bom’s parents were occupied with the welfare of other kids in the orphanage. And Dara was weak and fragile that she would easily fall sick, that’s why they don’t really play outdoors. Toys were limited and they let the younger ones have them. So for them they would write imaginary stories, and tell them to the younger kids. Seeing how they loved their stories inspired Bom and Dara to write more and it naturally became their passion. CL however would play with her worn out Barbie doll given to her during Christmas. She would try to make pretty gowns for the doll with some flowery clothes she got for free from the tailor ahjumma next door.  She enjoyed making them and would dress up her Barbie with different styles. That’s how she wanted to be when she grows up, able to wear pretty clothes made especially for her, not just some donated or pass-down clothes.

“Dara yah, nice job you did with Chaerin’s interview. I know it’s 90% of these words were from you” Bom smirked at Dara.

“Please don’t let Gummy unnie know about this. I couldn’t do anything as she told be repeatedly to stick with those questions. And Chaerin was not actually being cooperative. She complained that the questions were for Miss World level. Can you believe that”

“Ok, but if she finds out I’m not covering for you anymore.” Bom understood exactly Chaerin’s personality. She never really liked studying when she was young, and would bother Dara and Bom to help with her homework from school. Bom would scold her whenever she doesn’t want to do them. However at night at their room, Dara would help her finish them, even if it took her the whole night. Bom said to Dara she’s not doing Chaerin any good but Dara just pitied her as Chaerin would come begging her.

 

========================================================================================================================

 

Champs-Elysees, Paris

[Cafe]

 

Ji Yong is scanning the screen of his Kindle E-book, almost finishing his read.

The waitress came and placed a second cup of black coffee and some fancy French patisserie on the table.

Merci beaucoup” he replied warmly. He took a sip of coffee and scrutinized his surroundings.

Paris, the city of love. Why he chose to be in this city when his love is no longer with him. It was her wish to visit Paris with him but they never had the chance since he was too occupied with work. He promised to go with her someday and that never happened. She was already gone.

It’s been two years, his wounds were slowly healing. When she died in that horrible accident he was devastated. He blamed in on himself because she was on her way to give him a surprise visit at the office, when it happened.

He was beyond shock when he found out about her death, and when through a period of depression. He even had the thought of suicide because he loved her so much. He had no one to blame but himself. If he had spent more time with her, she would not have to come to meet him at the office. If he had not been working too much maybe she wouldn’t complain that they were seeing each other less and less.

After her death, he quit his job and travelled around the world. He would keep her picture in his wallet and would tell her stories of places he visited, interesting events he witnessed at a foreign country.

He smiled and said ,as if she#s sitting beside him “Young Hee ah, is it ok if oppa go home now?”

 “I’ll never forget you, and I’ll promise to be strong, I love you”