Chapter 15

A good heart

 

 

It was a normal working day. Same routine. Minzy would be coming in with three cups of takeaway coffee from Starbucks and head into Bom’s office. After handing her the coffee she would proceed to Dara’s.

 

“So what’s up Unnie?”Minzy asked Dara as she took a sip of her coffee.

 

“I’m just finalizing the details for the party tomorrow. I will double check the place again this afternoon. Are you coming with me?”

 

“You are really particular and into details unnie. No wonder Gummy and Mr. Jang favor you more than Bommie unnie,” Minzy was stating what she observed.

 

“Don’t say that. Bommie is the most talented and passionate fashion writer. She’s far better than me,”

 

“Unnie, I may be new here but I noticed that you outshine Bom most of the time. But she gets all the credit well, since she’s the boss. But I know most of them were your works,” Minzy recalled what she heard from the gossips among the colleagues.

 

“Yah Mingkki, just because Bommie and I are close to you doesn’t mean you can talk like that about her. You don’t understand how hard she strived and pushed her limits to get to where she is now,” Dara defended Bom.

 

“I see you have too much time to spare so I’m assigning you to prepare a short movie with video messages from everyone for Mr. Jang. We’ll be playing it tomorrow so hurry up. Get someone from the media team to help you.”

 

“Unnie, it’s not part of the agenda. And didn’t you just ask me to go with you this afternoon?” Minzy frowned at the new given assignment.

 

“Now it is. Make it short but meaningful, we don’t want to end up watching a movie. Don’t worry about me Mingkki I can go there alone. I just need to discuss few things with the owner,” Dara explained to Minzy and the latter nodded.

 

“This will teach you a lesson for talking bad about your unnie,” she warned her this time. She disliked it whenever people compare her to Bom.

 

“De, I’m sorry. I’ll get to work now. See you at lunch unnie,” Minzy immediately left Dara’s office.

 

 

 

====================================================================================================================

 

[Mr. Jang’s office, soon to be Jiyong’s office]

 

 

“I’m sorry sir, we need the whole afternoon to move the old furniture and install new shelves. So you can’t use the office for now,” one of the workers from the HQ was saying while checking the old shelves.

 

“Hmm. Make it quick,” he said to the two workers. He doesn’t have any work to do actually but he prefers to be in his office surfing the internet for updates in the fashion business.

 

“Yes sir. Uhm the walls need a new coat of paint too. We can get it done too if you want,” the person said as he now inspects the faded paint in the room.

 

“A makeover doesn’t sound too bad. Arasso,” Jiyong agreed with the idea. He will be working there starting next week so why don’t change everything to make his office a pleasant working environment.

 

“If you agree sir, we will start moving everything out and do a thorough cleaning of your office. And we need to scrap the old paint and fix some of the cracked parts on the wall and ceiling. We’ll start painting next week so you’ll have your new office by next Thursday the earliest,” another worker explained.

 

Jiyong wasn’t surprised with the major works need to be done. Heck, the office was used by the same person for over 15 years now and with that condition, a serious makeover is required.

 

Suddenly he had a brilliant plan in his head.

 

 

‘Muahahahaaa, you’re a genius Kwon Jiyong’

 

 

“OK. Just make sure you have everything perfect. I don’t mind the time you take. I’ll just find myself another office to work for the mean time,”

 

With that he gathered his stuff, shoved them into his briefcase and in his other hand he held his Macbook air and headed to the office at the furthest end.

 

 

 

====================================================================================================================

 

 

 

Knock knock

 

 

 

“De, come in,” Dara said without looking at the person entering.

 

“Just a sec Mingkki,” she logged off her email and grabbed her purse. She thought it was Minzy inviting her to lunch.

 

“Uhurm,” the person faked a cough to get the attention.

 

Her eyes widened once she noticed him standing in front of her.

 

“Mr. Kwon, I’m sorry I thought you were someone else,” she stood up and immediately bowed to him.

 

“Sandara-ssi, would you mind if I use your office for now? My office is currently under renovation,” Without waiting for her reply he placed his Macbook on the desk, shoved some of her files to the side and placed his files from his briefcase on the table. Dara just stared at him in disbelief.

 

“Wh.. What?” she couldn’t understand clearly what the guy was saying. He’s not making any sense. Of all the places why does it have to be in her office?

 

“I said I’ll be using your office for now,” he said while settling on Dara’s chair and laid back comfortably. He had his hands folded behind his head while still looking at her.

 

“Bu..But..Why here?” she stuttered this time.

 

“You don’t expect me to work there right?” He said while pointing outside where other co-workers were sitting. It’s a big office that accomodates almost 20 people. Dara had small room on her own at the end of the hallway since she needed the peace and quiet environment for her writing. Bom and Gummy had their respective rooms too but it is normal since both of them are the head of the department. While Mr. Jang’s had the biggest room at the other end, his glass window overlooking the whole office. 

 

“Why not at Gummy’s or Bom’s?” she asked him again.

 

“I’m allergic to the scent in Gummy ssi’s room and Bom-ssi had people coming in and out of her office discussing work. I don’t like to be disturbed or be a disturbance so I choose your room,” Dara listened to his reasons. Indeed they were alike. She also needed a quiet atmosphere to work well, and most of all, she doesn’t like being a burden to others.

 

“So, are you OK with this?” he asked her. This would sound inappropriate for a boss ‘begging’ for an office from an employee.

 

“Ok, you can work here for now Mr. Kwon. You can use my desk and I’ll call the ahjussi downstairs to bring me a smaller desk,” she said.

 

“There’s no need for that. That ahjussi has backpain remember? How could you ask him to carry a desk all the way here for you? I’ll do it,” he said

 

“No, you can’t. You’re the boss here just get someone to do it,” she quickly objected. She’s more concerned of what the other colleagues would say if they saw him doing that.

 

“Well since I’m the boss here, I say there’s no need for an extra desk. This one is big enough for both of us, plus if you add another desk you’ll barely move around this room,”

 

Dara looked around realizing what he said was true. If there’s an extra desk, she will have to squeeze through to go to her table, and she won’t be able to lean back comfortably as there’s barely any space between the chair and the wall behind it.

 

“Plus I’m just here for a few days so just bear with it,” he said.

 

“Fine Mr. Kwon. How are we supposed to share the desk?” She said. In fact she already knew that they will be sitting opposite of each other.

 

‘oo ooo ottokee’

 

“You don’t expect us sitting side by side right Sandara ssi?” he said when pointing the space underneath the desk that fits one armchair, with drawers on both sides of the table. The only available option was sitting in front of him.

 

“Or sitting on my lap? I can’t do that,” he said teasingly. Her face reddened at his remark.

 

‘ert boss’

 

He was enjoying teasing her and watching her getting furious. She obviously can’t do anything about it.

 

“Hey, don’t think too much. That was a joke ok. Geezz. We need to be comfortable with each other since we’ll be working together from now on,” he said trying to calm the tense atmosphere.

 

She just nodded. But how could she shake off the incident that happened between them. She looked at him again and sighed.

 

“I’m sorry for what happened before. It wasn’t done on purpose and I didn’t know we’ll meet again and end up working together,” she was trying to clear things up. In fact, it was her first time confronting him about the matter since he showed up on Monday.

 

“Why do you have to be sorry about? It’s clear you were terrified that time and by doing so it actually helped. After that you slept like a baby,” he remembered after her nonstop ranting she was suddenly quiet and was ‘asleep’.

 

“So Mr. Kwon, I really hope that you understand and keep it a secret,” she stated as if negotiating with him when actually Jiyong had nothing to lose.

 

“Ok,” he said. On one hand he was glad that Dara was not avoiding him this time. Dara beamed when he agreed easily.

 

 

Problem solved. Yess!! So much for the ‘plans’ before.

Bribe him? Hit him on the head? Kidnap him? Aigoooo.. None would work

If I know I could just ask him nicely I should’ve done it since he first came.

 

 

“So are you heading out for lunch?” Jiyong said while eyeing Dara clutching her purse.

 

“Ah, yes. I guess I’m going alone. I just remembered Minzy is doing her assignment so she probably called for a delivery,” Dara assumed. She hasn’t seen Minzy at her desk since this morning after their talk.

 

“Would you like to go for lunch with me instead?” Jiyong asked her.

 

“You missed out the lunch on my first day here,” He continued. It was the lunch with Bom, Gummy and Mr. Jang.

 

She was still hesitant. What if her colleagues spot them together? Since he first came in he became the talk of every female in the building. They were awed and mesmerized by his good looks but can’t seem to talk to him. They greeted him whenever he passed the hallway but all they got was a nod, not even a glance from him.

 

He sensed that she was back to being quiet.

 

“If you were thinking about others might think then I won’t force you. I just wanted to thank you for letting me use your office and I would like us to settle the misunderstanding we had,”

 

Dara’s heart tinged. How could she refuse his sincere request? She also didn’t want to be disrespectful towards her new boss, since she already declined him once.

 

“Ok, Mr. Kwon. Let me get my keys,” she grabbed her car keys and notebook and shoved them in her bag.

 

“Going somewhere after lunch?” He wondered why she needs to drive when the restaurant they intended to go to was just few blocks away.

 

“Yes, actually I was supposed to go to Miu’s Lounge with Minzy to discuss about the party tomorrow but there was a change of plan so I’m going there alone,” she didn’t realize that she just explained to him when she could just answer him yes or no.

 

“For Mr. Jang’s farewell? Then I guess I’ll come with you,”

 

“But don’t you have work to do? I don’t want to take up your time going all the way to Hongdae with me,”

 

“This is work. Supervising my employee to make sure she does a good job for the party tomorrow,”

 

She glared at him, wondering if that was serious or him making fun of her again. When she noticed his unsmiling face she looked away.  

 

“Ok Mr. Kwon,” she could only reply him.

 

“Just drop the formalities, you can call me Jiyong,” he said.

 

“You’re the boss I can’t just call you that. We’re not even close Mr. Kwon,” she once again rejected him and he glared at her.

 

She couldn’t help but wondered why this person was so open only to her but towards others he’s as cold as ice.  However she was glad they both agree to put things behind them. She then remembered how they first met but could talk for hours in the flight like they’ve known each other for years. She chuckled at the thought that they didn’t have the chance to exchange names or contact details if not for the chaos before landing.

 

She looked up with the widest smile and Jiyong was taken back seeing that beautiful smile again.

 

“Ok Jiyong. You can call me Dara. But only when the others are not around,” she said with a warning tone. She knew how crazy the other female would be once they find out.

 

“Sure Dara,” he was overjoyed that she finally accepted.

 

“I’ll drive us there,” He said and grabbed the keys from her and walked towards the door.

 

“No Mr. Kwon.. I’ll drive,” he stop his track and glanced at her.

 

“I mean I’ll drive, Jiyong,” she corrected.

 

“Just follow will you Dara?” he demanded, but with a softer voice.

 

“Ok,” she smiled and nodded, not wanting to start another argument.