Chapter 10

A good heart

„A dozen of the prettiest rose you have, please“

 

“Here you go” As she handed him the beautifully arranged flowers.

 

“Perfect”. A compliment rarely used by him.

 

“Anything else sir? A small greeting card perhaps?”

 

“No thank you”

 

 

 

==========================================================================================================================

 

 

His heart was thumping loudly as the car is nearing the destination - the place he wanted to go first upon reaching the country. The driver stopped in front of the entrance of the cemetery.

 

“We’re here” the driver said as he glanced through the rear view mirror, seeing his master with his head lowered.

 

Unknowingly Ji Yong’s tears started to fall. He promised to be strong. He promised to let go of the past. He promised himself to move on.  The door opened for him and slowly he reached for the sunglasses and got off.

 

 

 

Her epitaph

 

01.11.1986- 12.06.2011

In loving memory of Kim Young Hee

She filled every second of her life with laughter, love and happiness

Dearly missed by parents, in-laws and husband

 

 

 

He knelt instantly and more tears were pouring out. He was sobbing uncontrollably with both hands covering his face.

 

The driver looked away as he too couldn’t stand the sight of the broken man.

 

“Sorry for you to see me in this state” he said after his breathing was normal. He wiped his tears away.

 

“Young Hee ah, how have you been?”

 

 “I missed you really badly. You don’t know what I’ve been through these 2 years.”

 

“That day when you..” He couldn’t bring himself to say the word. It was too painful for him.

 

“left to heaven..” Another way of saying it but have equally painful effect on his heart.

 

“I didn’t want to live anymore” he recalled many incidents where he had thoughts of just killing himself.

 

“I blamed myself for what happened”

 

2 years ago after the incident, Ji Yong was beyond miserable. After her funeral he stayed locked in his room for weeks. He was hurting himself and no one was able to help him. His family, friends couldn’t comfort him. He was like a living corpse in the house, and wouldn’t talk to anyone. The faint sobs coming from his room every night was the indication he’s still alive.

 

 

“I made everyone worry.” His family tried everything they could. When she left he lost himself. Everyone was shocked to see the once cold, rebellious, stubborn, hard headed Ji Yong in a vulnerable, helpless and heartbroken state.

 

“You know what happened? It was your dad who brought me out from that all.”

 

“Ironic isn’t it? I always thought he hated me,” he remembered his father in law’s strong objection of their relationship in the beginning.

 

“He beat the crap out of me”

 

“You know, he said he’s trying to beat some sense in to me. If pity and comfort wouldn’t work he resolves to violent measures”

 

“He even challenge me to fight back so when I finally did, he stopped”

 

“That old man sure knows how to throw punches I ended up on a hospital bed for a week”

 

He recalled the incident. He was crying while hugging one of her shirt when his father in law barged into the room angrily and snatched the piece of clothing away from him. He slapped him hard until he fell to the ground. He grabbed JiYong by the collar and dragged him to the washroom and poured the bucket of cold water to him. Ji Yong was shocked but didn’t respond and let him be treated that way. He thought of it as a way for his father in law doing to release his anger on his daughter’s death.

 

 

=========================================================================================================================

Flashback

 

“Get up” he shouted as Ji Yong slumped on the bathroom floor.

 

“You’re so pathetic” He said while splashing another bucket of water unto him.

 

Ji Yong coughed as he felt the sting of water up his nose.

 

He punched him hard, while uttering more hateful words.

 

“You’re just a useless $%*#”

 

“Coward”

 

“Where’s that cocky attitude of yours now huh”

 

He punched him more and he was spitting blood now.

 

“Come on now, I don’t recall you being a coward whenever we met”

 

“Hit me back, you $%&’”

 

“You said you love her more than anything” His punches now aimed towards his stomach.

“You said you won’t give up” Ji Yong groaned and held his painful stomach.

 

“Seeing you now I’m glad she left you, you couldn’t even pull yourself together”

 

Just as Mr. Kim about to give his final blow, a hand finally reached out to block his punches. His final remark finally got him.

 

“Enough” Ji Yong weakly said.

 

“Pull yourself together Ji Yong” as he grabbed Ji Yong’s shoulders.

 

“I am saddened, we all are. It was an accident and it’s not your fault or anybody’s fault.”

 

“She left us. And you have to accept this”

 

“Even without her now, please move on. I’m not saying you should forget what you both had, but live a meaningful and worthy life just like she did.”

 

“Her happiest moment was when she’s with you”

 

“Please don’t blame yourself anymore. You need to be strong for her.” He said.

 

The bruised and wounded Ji Yong had his eyes closed but was listening to every word he said.

 

 

 

========================================================================================================================

 

He had his hands on his stomach remembering the life changing moment.

 

“Young Hee ah, now you should be comforting me.” How he missed her warm and comforting hugs. It was enough to take away his stress from a hard day’s work.

 

“I brought you flowers. The prettiest one for my loveliest wife” as he laid them beside the tombstone.

                                                                                                                                                              

He smiled this time remembering she would peck him sweetly when he got little surprises for her.

 

 

 

 

========================================================================================================================

 

“Son, you’re home” his mother hugged him tenderly.

 

“I thought your flight landed hours ago” his father asked him.

 

“I went to see Young Hee” He replied.

 

“Ouw,” the only reply they could give. They always avoid bringing up her name fearing that he will be hurt again.

 

“I’m fine mom, dad” he gave a faint smile trying to convince them.

 

There was silence between them. His mother was looking at him intently for any signs proving otherwise.

 

“Really, stop worrying about me. What’s important is that I’m back now”

 

“I’m glad you are” His mother held his arms as if she’s about to lose him again.

 

“Get yourself freshen up, dinner will be ready soon.” Mrs. Kwon said to him

 

“Ok”

 

 

 

­­=========================================================================================================================

 

 

“Wow, that brat? Unbelievable” He said on the dinner table. Three of them were sitting on the dinner table, finally after 2 years.

 

His father chuckled, and his mother was silent. They didn’t want to start arguing since he just got back. Since young the sibling were always arguing and the family couldn’t even have dinner peacefully.

                                                                                      

“Yes son. Your brother actually surpassed dad’s expectation” Mr. Kwon replied.

 

“He felt bad for leaving you working hard handling the business. When you left he offered to help and he actually did very well” his mother explained what happened then.

 

A lot has happened while Ji Yong was gone. His father actually asked him to quit for the mean time after the incident. Ji Yong took the time to travel around but would help out with business once in a while, like securing connections with those people from the fashion week. Being a workaholic he can’t seem to shake that part of him off.

 

“I won’t force you back if you’re not ready yet” Mr. Kwon said out of the blue.

 

“Just as I want the best for the company, I also want you to live happily.”

 

“And what makes you think I’m not happy?” Ji Yong placed his chopsticks down and looked at his father.

 

“Well since going back would remind you of the reason Young ..” Mrs. Kwon nudged her husband before he finished.

 

“Ji Yong, we want the best for you. It’s ok with us if you refuse to go back to your old job” she said.

 

“Mom dad, I’m not a child anymore. Stop worrying about me”

 

“I’ve done lots of thinking and I made up my mind”

 

“I’m coming back but on one condition…”

 

His father nodded while his mother smiled.

 

He is back. Kwon Ji Yong their son is back.