Chapter 19

A good heart

 

Flashback

 

 

“Park Sandara, likes cats but afraid of dogs that she couldn’t even get near one,”

“Park Sandara, who also happened to be the person that broke the hot chocolate vending machine in the pantry,”

“Park Sandara, who spilled a glass of coffee into the plant on someone’s table, was the reason the plant is dead after few days,”

“Park Sandara, who once got the designer’s name and address mixed up in a letter, that’s why you never got sponsors from them ever since,”

“Park Sandara, who tried to iron her coat secretly in her office once, was the cause of the blackout on your floor and I believe because of that some of you lost your unsaved works,”

 

 

Her eyes turned into slits, ignoring the attention she received; instead she was glaring at the guy who just humiliated her.

 

 

‘If I can possess any superpower, just any of them, I would really use it now on the grinning Pabo standing on stage right now’

‘Laser beam, ultrasonic waves, flying darts, piercing arrows, fireballs, spider webs- hmm which one should I use? Maybe one is not enough. I’ll just use all of them. Yes ALL OF THEM’

 

My to-do-list would definitely be:

  1. Wipe that grin off Kwon Jiyong’s face
  2. Make sure Kwon Jiyong begs for forgiveness
  3. Make Kwon Jiyong regret for messing with SANDARA PARK
  4. Make Kwon Jiyong quit his job and never appear in VOGUE Office
  5. Better yet, make Kwon Jiyong leave the country and never return in a gazillion years.

 

“That was fun,” he said as he went down the stage.

 

‘Fun?? Funn?  That’s his way of having fun????”

‘This was supposed to be my revenge on him? Why am I the one ended up being in hot soup instead?’

‘Hmm, you just messed with the wrong person Mr. Kwon Jiyong’

 ‘Just wait and see.’

 

 

*crickets crickets*

 

 

‘Aigoo Dara, what are you thinking?’

‘He’s the COO, your soon-to-be boss, your superior, who has the power to fire you too’

‘He knows more of your secret, of Mingkki’s, Bommie’s, Gummy’s, Chaerin’s, and almost everyone in the office’

‘What if he exposed ALL of them again??’

@.@ I cannot let that happen. No way.

 

 

 

========================================================================================================================

 

 

Bom snapped her fingers at the daydreaming Dara. Apparently the game ended with an awkward atmosphere after Jiyong left the stage. Teddy was quick to signal Tablo to turn on a party music so everyone would loosen up so instead of continuing with games, they’re now hitting the floor with the upbeat music that was blasting on the speaker.

 

“What just happen?” Bom bombarded her with questions.

 

“I.. I don’t know” she was still in blur. From the corner of her eyes she saw Jiyong leaving the party.

 

“How did he..?” Bom looked to where she was looking and noticed Dara’s expression filled with anger and distaste. They’ve known each other for the longest time and Bom understood well that she’s not easily angered but seeing the normally calm and bright girl in this state, her curiosity was replaced with worry.

 

“So is it true?” she slowly asked. Dara just nodded with her head bowed, stopping the tears from falling.

 

Bom quickly lead them away from the crowd to have a better talk.

 

“Wanna tell me what just happened between you two?” Bom said while handing her a tissue to wipe her tears.

 

“I’m sorry Bommie,” she apologized.

 

“I did something really bad- the vending machine, Hayi’s plant, the mixed-up letters to Burberry and Chloe, and the blackout last month, it’s my entire fault,”  she admitted and felt the guilt off her shoulder.

 

“So what he said was true? How did he know? I mean he just moved in your office for two days and he knew so much from you? Tell me what’s going on here,”

 

“Actually Bommie, we’ve met before,” she admitted.  Bom looked at her, demanding an explanation.

 

“Remember I told you and Omma of the next-seat guy before?” Bom recalled her story over their dinner last week.

 

“Ohh, the guy you connected well with?”

 

“Yes and that guy happened to be Jiyong”

 

“Really Dara? The totally hot-looking Mr. Kwon Jiyong? Wait, did you just call him by his first name? Omooo,” she squealed.

 

“I couldn’t believe it, you are so lucky!!” she lightly slap Dara’s arm excitedly.

 

“But, how did he?”

 

“Long story, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you before. You know how I’m traumatic of shaky flights and thunderstorms right?” Dara started telling Bom the truth.

 

“So on the flight back, the weather was really really bad, I panicked and unknowingly I started to tell those embarrassing stories which actually helped me to relax. The problem is, I didn’t realize he was listening to all those cr@p the whole time,” Dara also told what happened during their arrival in Incheon airport.

 

“You don’t know how shocked and awkward I was when he showed up on Monday. And just now what he said were some of the silly things I blurted, I can’t believe he remembered,” she sighed and shook her head while covering her face with both hands which made her makeup smudged. Bom was trying hard to control her laugh. Dara’s look with smudged makeup made it even funnier.

 

“Puahaahaa, I’m sorry, that’s just really funny and I didn’t know you just got into this kind of deep $h!*with none other than your future boss,”

 

Dara looked at her with a puzzled expression.

 

“I can’t help it, it’s too funny” Bom wiped her tears from laughing too hard at Dara.

 

 “Yah Bommie, thank you so much for your comforting words,” she said to Bom who was still laughing hysterically.

 

“Aigoo, I never laughed like that since forever. Don’t worry Dara, I’m sure they’ll get over it. It’s you I’m worry about. You must be the talk of the office now,”

 

“I don’t know how to face Hayi, Gummy unnie and everyone. They must be mad at me,” she said.

 

“No they’re not. You’re the sweetest person I know, they’ll let it pass. Except for Gummy unnie I’m not sure about her,”

 

“I’ve apologized to them already. I sure hope this will die down soon,” she stated.

 

“Let’s not talk about this again ok. I’m here for you if he dares mess with you again,” Bom hugged her and pulled her out of the washroom.

 

Dara excused herself to head home earlier to avoid the colleagues. She didn’t bother to explain to everyone about their previous ‘encounter’, knowing how those people can be very nosy at times, prying into other people’s private matters. She’s tired of coming up with excuses to her colleague.

 

“He’s just there for the time being, his office needs renovation.”

“It wasn’t a lunch date, we went to..”

“No, I’m not flirting with him..”

“Of course I talked with him, about work..”

 

It’s only been two days since Jiyong moved into her office but it got everyone curious. Dara was tired of explaining whenever someone approaches her asking her about him, so she preferred busying herself with more work outside of the office.

 

 

 

‘Ahh, what a night,’ she thought to herself while driving home. Surprisingly her anger and irritation towards Jiyong vanished when she was told that he’s the main person behind the short film for Mr. Jang. She found out just before leaving the party when she’s about to thank Minzy for doing a great job.

 

‘I guess you’re forgiven for what happened earlier’

‘But I’m not going to be nice if he does that again’

‘He did amazingly great during the game, I have to admit’

‘He looks cold on the outside but he could remember all their names, I doubt he’s unaware of them’

‘I wonder why he is behaving differently with me’

‘I hope he’s able to open up to more people’

‘I know deep down he’s sweet and caring but doesn’t know how to show it’

‘Wait, why am I on his side?’

 

 

­­=========================================================================================================================

 

 

“You’re home early. How was the party?” Mrs. Kwon said as her son entered the house.

 

“Was ok, where’s Seungri?” he slumped on the couched and gulped down a glass of water.

 

“He’s with your Appa upstairs,” the lady answered warmly. It’s rare to see her son in a good mood. First he’s attending a party which was not business related, second he asked of his younger brothers’ whereabouts nicely.

 

“He’s taking his job seriously, Jiyong. Nowadays either he’s out of the country for meetings or he’s working at the office till late hours,” Mrs. Kwon added. In fact that was what Jiyong did too.

 

Jiyong just nodded. Silently he was proud of his little brother.

 

“He’s smart all right,” he said, surprising the older woman again.

 

“Both of you are. And how’s your new job?”

 

“Can be hectic at times but it’s fun. No wonder Uncle Jang stayed there for so long,”

 

His mother just chuckled hearing those words. Fun - a new word used by Jiyong.

 

 

 

“Omma, I’m going to meet Younghee’s parents tomorrow,” he said like a young boy asking for his mothers’ permission to go out and play.

 

Mrs. Kwon gave a small smile. The last time she saw them was two years ago.

 

“Will you be spending the night with them?” she asked. They live out of the city and it takes a 4-hour drive to get to their place. They were living in Seoul previously but after her accident, they moved because her mother couldn’t bear staying at a place filled with memories of her late daughter.

 

“No, I’ll be back in the evening,” Jiyong said. He then went up to his room to get a good rest for he’ll be leaving early in the morning.

 

 

 

=========================================================================================================================

 

 

He lied down on his bed feeling the emptiness of the space. He clutched his chest that’s beating wildly, trying to suppress his longing and aching heart. If she’s still alive, they’ll be celebrating their fourth anniversary tomorrow.

 

He sat up and glanced around his empty room and the large balcony overlooking the garden. Her favorite spot in the evening-where she would be either tending the roses or just strolling.

 

 

 

=========================================================================================================================

 

3 years ago

 

 

 

Hidden among the colorful display of roses was a beautiful lady absorbed in ploughing the soil while humming her favourite song. A guy spotted her ash brown locks among the greens and had a mischievous plan in his head. She had her back towards him and didn’t realize he’s tiptoeing towards her.

 

“Surprise!!” the guy hugged the crouching young lady from behind.

 

“Omoo,” she fell forward and the landed face first on the grass. He was still hugging her so he also fell on top of her.

 

“What are you doing here?  I thought you will be back in two days,” she said as she sat up, dusted dirt off her palms before tidying her hair.

 

He just chuckled seeing his adorable wife with bits of grass on her face and hair. He also sat up with knees popped up in front of him.

 

“I just missed you so badly. And I felt bad since I missed our anniversary yesterday,” he smiled while fixing her hair. She being an understanding wife knew he had an important business to attend to in Hong Kong so she didn’t force him to be home on their anniversary.

 

They were staring at each other lovingly and didn’t bother to get up. He forked out a small box from his pocket and handed it to his lovely wife.

 

“Happy Anniversary Younghee, I love you,” he said as she opened the small box and saw the most beautiful necklace with a lovely pendant of two interwining hearts encrusted with pink diamonds.

 

“Oppa, Thank you so much, it’s lovely,” she said while hugging her husband and they fell backwards again, with her on top of him. They both laughed heartily at the mess they were doing, as she smeared some dirt on his face and he rubbed his cheeks at her so she also had some dirt on her face.

 

“Even if you look like that, I still love you very much,” he said to her while cupping her face to make sure she sees his seriousness.

 

“Thank you Younghee for being such a supporting wife. I couldn’t ask for more,” he added.

 

“I should be the one thanking you, I love you so much,” she said to him with equal sincerity. She leaned closer and they kissed lovingly, cherishing the rare moments they have being each other’s arms.

 

 

=========================================================================================================================

 

 

The sobbing sounds could be heard faintly from the corridor. Seungri was passing through his room and overheard them. Seungri wanted to knock on his door to comfort him or maybe ask him out for a drink but he immediately changed his mind. He felt sorry towards his older brother. There were times they bickered and quarrel with each other but seeing his brother in such vulnerable situation he was greatly affected too. He wished to have his hyung back. The hyung who is sharp, poised and most importantly the person he secretly looked up to.

 

“Be strong Hyung, we’re here for you,” he said.