Chapter 9

A good heart

1 hour prior to landing

[Sun Airways flight SY 0818]

[Charles de Gauelle Paris- Incheon International Airport, Seoul]

 

 

 

“Passengers onboard, this is your captain pilot Yoo Jae Suk speaking. We are currently cruising at an altitude of 30000 feet above sea level. Please fasten your seatbelt as we will be approaching thick clouds and a heavy storm is ahead. Please refrain from leaving your seats. Thank you.”

 

Few minutes after the announcement, the plane shook heavily. Some passengers started to scream. Dara woke up from her sleep and was now strongly holding onto Jiyong’s right arm. He let her this time, the least he could do to help her calm down.

 

He saw her face paling and cold sweats forming. She was beyond fear and Jiyong tightened his hold on her. She started to panic and was breathing heavily when the lightning and loud thundering sounds followed. If Bom or CL were with her, they would be telling her funny stories to distract her from the storm.

 

Then in this chaos she did the unbelievable.

 

She blurted out stories.

 

Not just any kind of story but the ones she never told anyone before. The stories that she kept in her heart and no one is supposed to know, not a soul. Not even her closest bestest sister friend.

 

 

“Bommie looked hideous in her white halterneck. It made her upper body look fat and short. But I never told her since that’s her first gift from Top that she treasures most”

 

“Mingkki looks like a granny rather than y as she claimed whenever she puts on her Chanel code 34 Safran red lipstick.”

 

“I threw away Bommies’s favorite Angora sweater because I accidentally tossed them into the washing machine and it shrunk.”

 

“I purposely spilled ketchup on Chaerin’s jacket when we were 10 and said it was Bom when she took my Tamtam away”

 

“I was upset when Chaerin got the same perfume I wanted so I gave her some Japanese weight gain snack bar when she was trying hard to lose weight.  She even finished 2 dozens of them.”

 

“Mingkki had the weirdest taste buds and I never liked the cookies or cupcakes she made. Everytime I would secretly place them back in the box so she would always ask why was there an extra piece when she made the exact amount for each of us.”

 

“I hated sushi but Mr. Jang and Gummy unnie loved them. Whenever we went for sushi lunch I would only have the one with cucumber and carrots. Then I would go to another restaurant to eat with the excuse of an important appointment”

 

“I accidently broke the button for the hot cocoa on the vending machine that’s why the staffs couldn’t have any hot cocoa anymore”

 

“I saw Bommies real weight when we were at the gym once. It was 59kg instead of 53kg like she always claimed.”

 

“I admit I had a small crush on Bommies boyfriend before they were together”

“I knew he liked miniature dolls so when Bommie told me she liked him, I suggested she gave him one of those although she said it’s childish. After that they instantly hooked up”

 

“I didn’t tell Mingkki that her long time crush Seung Yoon was secretly hitting on me and the reason he got closer to Mingkki was just to get to me.”

 

“I accidentally misplaced Leehi’s only raw copy of work that she’s about to submit so I wrote a new one for her instead, after seeing her working days for it. Then I found them actually still on her table. I lied to her saying I made few changes when Gummy praised her.”

 

“I’m afraid of dogs so that’s the reason why I always make excuses whenever Taeyang invites me to his house.”

 

“However he is the sweetest guy I know but I can’t help secretly laughing at him back in college when he had this brown and orange granpa pullover that made him look like humpty dumpty”

 

“One of the reasons I didn’t like Taeyang back then was because I was attracted to tough guys with bad boy image, like TOP”

 

“The carved wooden butterfly he gave me back then was the thing I treasure most since it’s the only handmade gift I receive from him”

 

“In college I would sneak to Bommie’s room, since she was busy going on dates. Her studies were slacking so I secretly switch her work and submitted a better one so her grades wouldn’t drop”

 

“When we receive dresses for Christmas presents, I would always give the pretty ones I got to Chaerin so that she could dress up prettily to school. I would lie saying I prefer wearing baggy shirts and pants like the boys. So I’m happy now that she gets to live her dream and wear beautiful clothes”

 

“I saw Gummy heavily drunk once while on my way home. I followed her and made sure she got home safely. I never uttered a word but knew she was having a difficult time. I sent flowers to her office anonymously to cheer her up after I overheard from her phonecall that her mother recently died. She kept the sadness and guilt to herself and remained the iron lady of the office.”

 

“On Mingkki’s first day of work she accidentally stained one of the designer dress for a photoshoot so instead of the possibility of getting fired, I discussed with the sponsor and compensate for it instead. I told her later that it was OK.”

 

“The publishing team is the busiest at the final week before an issue is out. I knew they would be working hard catching datelines till late nights. Most restaurants nearby the office would be close by then so I would have pizza delivered to them”

 

“The security ahjussi is the most hardworking person I know. Although in his old age he never complained of his backpain. He deserves a more comfy chair for his back while resting after night patrol so I discussed with the inventory to give him my armchair instead.”

 

Dara’s ranting went on. It was out of control but miraculously it managed to somehow take her mind off the still shaking flight.

 

====================================================================================================================

 

 

He felt a slight tinge in his heart. How could there be a person this kind, selfless and caring? He didn’t know who they were, probably her family and closest friend.  She cared so much for people and even strangers. She’s been secretly doing those things without even them knowing.

 

Kwon Ji Yong looked at her again. The flight stop shaking and she is sound asleep. He didn’t want to wake her but they will be arriving shortly.

 

“Dear passengers, we will be landing shortly. Please fasten your seatbelt, make sure your seat is at upright position, your table securely stowed back. Thank you” The air stewardess announced.

 

He tightened her seatbelt and adjusted her seat for her.

 

====================================================================================================================

 

The airplane landed smoothly on the runway of Incheon International Airport.  Dara still had her eyes firmly shut. She was too embarrassed to face the guy next to her. She pretended to be sleeping when she heard him calling her, and tried her best to pretend more when he tried to wake her up by tapping her shoulder.

 

*Let’s just find the black hole to swallow me up. And even better swallow up whatever I said*

*This is probably the most, super-duper, out of this world, beyond the universe galaxy humiliating moment ever.*

 

 

 

“Miss, miss, are you ok?” the panic-stricken air stewardess said while shaking Dara’s arms.

 

“Thank goodness. I thought you passed out.” She said when Dara opened her eyes.

 

“We landed and everyone already got off”

 

She looked at the now empty and messy aircraft, making sure he’s out of sight.

 

“Sorry, I guess these chairs were too comfortable and I slept like a baby” *lame excuse Dara*

 

====================================================================================================================

 

 

If not for her yellow dress and her sleek white blazer, people would suspect her for a criminal or worse, someone who’s planning to threaten the safety in the airport. Dara with her so called ninja moves, was hiding behind pillar and taking a glance around her, then tiptoed to the nearest magazine stand, hiding behind a book with eyes peeping around. As she thought she was doing a good job avoiding him, she failed miserably.

 

Ji Yong smirked because he spotted her from afar when he was walking out of the washroom. He purposely slowed his pace and even went into the shops, looking at nothing in particular. He was enjoying every second making fun of her.

 

 

‘Why isn’t he leaving yet?’

 

‘Aish that stupid guy, what’s he doing walking around the make-up section?’

 

‘What now? A fridge magnet? What’s he doing buying a freakin magnet at a freakin souvenir shop in the airport? Is he a tourist to in his own country??’

 

‘Ahh that pabo, I thought he went to the toilet already. It’s been almost 10 minutes why isn’t he out yet’

 

Finally Ji Yong walked out of the washroom, trying his best to control his laughter at the petite lady with eye-catching bright dress trying to hide behind a fake plant, looking towards the direction of the door into men’s washroom.

 

She squint her already small eyes scanning for the familiar figure at the baggage claim hall. She spotted him pushing a trolley with two large suitcases heading to the exit. She looked at his disappearing back view, hoping never to meet him again. EVER.

 

She wiped her imaginary sweat and praised herself on successfully avoiding him. *Good job indeed, making a fool of yourself again. Aigoooo*

 

Dara waited till the coast is clear and then picked up her purple Rimowa suitcase, the last bag left on the moving belt.