Chapter 16

A good heart
 
 
"Dara unnieee, cupcakess!“ Minzy squealed as she enters Dara’s office with a dozen of her home made cupcakes which were packed nicely in a box. She wanted to make up for the way she offended Dara by her words yesterday. She went to her office yesterday just after Dara and Jiyong left, and she thought her unnie was still mad at her and went out for lunch without her.
 
 
 
“Oh I’m sorry Mr. Kwon. I didn’t know you were in here. I’ll come back later,” Minzy saw the person on the desk was Jiyong instead of her unnie.
 
 
 
“It’s ok. Dara-ssi is out to Miu’s Lounge preparing for tonight,”Jiyong said. Dara wanted the decorations to be perfect and therefore she went there again to check.
 
 
 
“Oh I get it. Sorry for disturbing you. I just need to give her these as a token of apology,” Minzy placed the box on her table, bowed to him and head out of the room.
 
 
 
“Wait, what is that you’re holding?” he asked.
 
 
 
“It’s a clip I made for the event tonight. I was hoping to show Dara and ask if there are changes need to be done. I hope she gets back here in time.”
 
 
 
“Let me see,” he ordered the young girl to hand him the CD.
 
 
 
He watched the clip silently on Dara’s computer. There were few parts that he wasn’t satisfied with so he went to the media room with Minzy where the clips were edited.
 
 
 
Minzy and Tablo from the media team just stared in disbelief seeing how Jiyong worked his magic on the short clip. He changed the background music, added few encouraging words to the edited pictures of Mr. Jang and he also rearrange the sequences of the clips. The video ended up being longer than the original but they were satisfied with the overall result.
 
 
 
He played the video for a final time and the other two just watched in awe.
 
 
 
“Mr. Jang must be really touched after watching this,” the teary eyed Minzy said. Who would’ve thought the cold and arrogant Jiyong could come up with something heart-warming and inspirational.
 
 
 
“Don’t mention it,” he said as he left the room.
 
 
 
“So we’re using this, Minzy?” Tablo asked her
 
 
 
“De,” she said. She saved the clip into a CD. It will be played tonight and the CD will be a special gift from them for Mr. Jang.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
====================================================================================================================
 
 
 
 
 
“Oh hi. Good morning,” Jiyong greeted Dara once she enters the room. It was almost 11 o’clock.
 
 
 
“Morning,” she greeted him back.
 
 
 
“I guess everything’s fine? You’re consuming too much time and energy for that event,” he said when noticing her tired face.
 
 
 
“Just for today Mister … just for today Jiyong”
 
 
 
“I’m making sure that the farewell party will be a memorable one for Mr. Jang. He’s the person I truly respect and admire. I was saddened by his sudden decision but however after knowing his reasons and how he loves Mrs. Jang more than anything, I just hope he can spend his retirement years living happily.”
 
 
 
Jiyong knew Mr. Jang was a private person and yet Dara knew a lot about him. She must be someone who really cared for Mr. Jang that he’s willing to open up and share his story to her.
 
 
 
“Yes, he’s a good person and a very caring husband,” he added.
 
 
 
Dara just nodded and was moved by his words.
 
 
 
“Minzy was here?” she asked out of the blue. Her eyes focused on the box on her table.
 
 
 
“Yes.”
 
 
 
“She must’ve thought I’m fond of her cupcakes,” she said with her eyebrows raised while silently counting the cupcakes.
 
 
 
‘12 of them. Oh boy’
 
 
 
“What else would she think when she saw you snatch them away from me?” he sneered.
 
 
 
She suddenly remembered the embarrassing event again and shook her head.
 
 
 
“Let me try,” he reached for the box and took a piece.
 
 
 
Before Dara could snatch it back, he already took a big bite. His face cringed at the weird taste. He slowly munched on them, trying to figure out what taste / combination of tastes he’s experiencing. It had a sweet lemon scent but from the looks of it, they were dark green. As he took the first bite, it was sour but once he swallowed, it had a bitter aftertaste.
 
 
 
‘yukss’
 
‘Didn’t know cupcake could taste this awful’
 
 
 
He frantically signaled for a glass of water and Dara quickly handed him a bottle.
 
 
 
“What was that?” he asked her. The bitter taste was still lingering on his tongue.
 
 
 
She grabbed a piece and sniffed them. She just chuckled knowing perfectly what ingredients Minzy put in them.
 
 
 
“You just tasted her special Lime Green Tea cupcake. Congratulations Jiyong,” she laughed real hard at his disgusted face.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
====================================================================================================================
 
 
 
 
 
2 hours prior to the party
 
 
 
 
 
Everyone went home early to get ready for the party. Although it was a private event only for the team from VOGUE, still everyone took the effort to glam up.
 
 
 
“Bommie, I’ll be emceeing the event I don’t want to wear something too revealing,” Dara said as she adjusted the black dress that had plunging neckline. She grabbed her black sequined blazer and slid them on.
 
 
 
“Aigoo Dara, you’re not going to a funeral,” Bom frowned at her sister who’s all covered up in black.
 
 
 
Dara searched her wardrobe again, trying to find something more suitable.
 
 
 
“I got everything well planned except for my outfit,” she grumbled. Bom knew how detailed Dara is and was surprised she left out the most important part. Well she’s still human.
 
 
 
“Just wear anything. You’re already gorgeous Dara yah. We need to hurry,” Bom was getting impatient that Dara was still not dressed.
 
 
 
She found a Ted Baker knee-length black dress with golden sequins on the neckline, it was elegant and classy at the same time. Dara quickly changed and check herself on the mirror.
 
 
 
“Good choice Dara, now get your hair and makeup done,” Bom also headed to her room to get herself ready.
 
 
 
“Bommie, I’ll get going now. See you there,” Dara called out from her room. She slid on her pair of black heels and went out.
 
 
 
“Ok. Drive carefully,” Bom answered her.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
====================================================================================================================
 
 
 
 
 
15 minutes prior to party
 
 
 
 
 
Almost all of the staffs were already gathered in Miu’s Lounge. They complimented Dara and Minzy on how stunning the place turned out. They had their office gathering there before so everyone knew how the place used to look like. Today it was decorated beautifully and they knew it was not just some shabby work but it took lots of effort to make it turn out the way it is now.
 
 
 
Dara just smiled and said it was because she had a great team helping her out. But everyone knew that she was the one who came up with the idea and basically did most of the work.
 
 
 
She checked her notebook once again and glanced at her wristwatch. 8:25 p.m.
 
 
 
Mr Jang and his wife will be arriving soon according to his driver. Dara signaled for music to be played. Everyone settled down and grabbed their seats. Dara glanced around the room from the stage she was standing. She now had a good view of everyone once they were seated.
 
 
 
He’s not here yet. Did he change his mind about coming?
 
 
 
Bom was smiling and waving at her. Minzy and Leehi gave her a fighting sign. Seungyoon winked at her. She quickly shifted her gaze to her placard not knowing how to respond to the guy.
 
 
 
Just then she noticed the room fell silent. She looked towards the entrance where everyone was looking or more accurately, gawking. @.@
 
 
 
VOGUE Korea Chief Operating officer, Kwon Ji Yong
 
 
 
There he was, entering the room coolly, not even bothered by the stares of EVERY single person in the room that was directed to him as he walked towards the table in the front row, where Bom and Gummy were sitting. He was wearing a designer’s suit that complimented his features well. He had his hair styled in a Mohawk way, and most of all his confident composure and cool aura simply made him the center of attention. 
 
 
 
‘Omo he’s super good looking tonight’
 
‘Now I have a good reason to show up to work every day with such a hot boss’
 
‘This is probably the best thing that ever happened to me in my 2 years with VOGUE’
 
‘I could just stare at that person all day’
 
 
 
The females in the room were whispering and giggling with one another. He’s been in the office for a week now but they still haven’t gotten used at the sight of their new boss, who seems too good to be true. In the office they could only see him shortly when he enters and leaves the office, but tonight they could literally stare at him all night long.
 
 
 
Jiyong was oblivious to the whole situation; he just looked at Dara who was also staring at him with wide eyes. He’s now seated closest to the stage, about 2 meters away from Dara, he glanced at her from head to toe and smiled at her.
 
 
 
Dara had her hair up in a messy bun and her long fringe was slightly curled and swept to the side. She had simple makeup on but her face was glowing. Her knee length dress emphasizes her curves and with the peep toe black heels, they complement her overall classy and sophisticated look well.
 
 
 
She looked away shyly and noticed few glares from the other colleagues. They wondered why Jiyong was smiling at her only.
 
 
 
Tablo raised his hand to get Dara’s attention, signaling Mr. Jang and his wife were about to enter. The lights were dimmed and a spotlight focused at the entrance as Mr. and Mrs. Jang walk in. The music played and pictures of Mr. Jang were shown.
 
 
 
Mr. Jang chuckled and looked at Dara. They were pictures of him with his family, him with their Golden retriever, him sitting near the fireplace during Christmas, him at their son’s graduation. All of them had one thing in common- he was smiling genuinely at the camera. The other guests were surprised to see this warm side of him, which he never showed to them. Dara managed to gather the pictures after asking his wife, knowing very well that Mr. Jang would never hand them to her personally.
 
 
 
As Mr. Jang and his wife reach their table, Jiyong greeted them. Mrs. Jang patted his back like how a mother would do to her son, and Dara was touched at their closeness. She grabbed the mic once the clips were shown and greeted everyone. Then she called Mr. Jang onstage to give a short farewell speech.
 
 
 
“Good evening everyone. I would like to thank you all so much for organizing this event. Indeed it will be something memorable for me before I leave VOGUE. It was a privilege to be able to work with you. I would like to thank two great women, Gummy ssi and Bom ssi for your hard work and dedication towards VOGUE. When I started I never imagine that we will get this far and be where we are now. Thanks to all of you that made this possible. I really enjoyed working with all of you and I have no regrets. After this as you all know, my wife and I will move to my wife’s hometown in Jeju and I’ll be spending me retirement years there. Thank you everyone once again. I am so honored to be working as your boss and have each one of you as my co-workers”
 
 
 
“And for now, I hope you could cooperate well with my successor whom I’ve known for a long time. Let us welcome him with a round of applause,” the room filled with cheers and loud applause. Jiyong stood and bowed to them. Mr. Jang went back to his seat.
 
 
 
“Before food is served, let us watch this short clip,” Dara went down the stage as the lights were dimmed once again. Now they’re starting to play the clip Minzy made. Dara wanted to watch them beforehand but Minzy insisted that it should be a surprise and her unnie should trust her this time.
 
 
 
She sat at the empty chair between Bom and Jiyong. He looked back and praised her for doing a good job on the decoration, emceeing and for the mini slide show earlier. She blushed and waved away the compliments as her eyes were focused on the video that was playing.
 
 
 
A soft music starts to play, and one by one, pictures of the staffs were shown - Pictures of them during a Karaoke session, a weekend outing, an office gathering, a lunch meeting, and lastly the latest picture of them after the meeting that Mr. Jang announce his leave. In almost all of them were encouraging words for him.  Next were short messages for him from all the staff, written below edited pictures of Mr. Jang.
 
 
 
“A good Sunbae who’s dedicated to his job - Leehi”
 
“A mentor and someone I aspire to be- Minzy”
 
“Though he seemed strict, that because he wanted the best for VOGUE. I learned to always give 110 percent in everything I do- Tablo”
 
 
 
….
 
….
 
Everyone started to get teary-eyed from watching the clips, even Minzy who watched it several times before couldn’t control herself.
 
 
 
“Your encouraging words and wise critique will always be remembered. Thank you so much- Bom”
 
“A person of talent, passion and hard work who brought VOGUE this far. VOGUE will never be the same without you. We’ll miss you- Gummy”
 
“You thought us the importance of family value even in this materialistic age. I’m grateful to be able to know someone like you- Dara”
 
 
“Goodbye old man. I won’t let you down. –GD”
 
 
 
 
 
At that last remark, they wondered who could be so informal to Mr. Jang. While everyone was watching silently and wiping their tears, there’s one person who was sitting while having his arms crossed, smirking as the video comes to an end.
 
 
 
Dara sniffed and grabbed a tissue. She quickly went onstage and thanked Minzy and her team for putting the clips together. She then called Mr. Jang onstage to receive their farewell gift. Mr. Jang was so touched at her message for him, since it’s the only one not work-related, and how those few words by Dara described him perfectly. He hugged her tightly for the effort this person invested for making his event very special tonight.
 
 
 
Mrs. Jang just smiled warmly at both of them. She only met Dara few times and she already noticed her good heart, and she’s also did an excellent job portraying the other side of Mr. Jang that others couldn’t see.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

helloooo dear readers,

another update   :-)

hope you guys enjoy the story...

thanks you so much for your comments and subscriptions

btw, I don't really know how lime and green tea would go together so I checked if there's actually a recipe for cakes with this combination..

Surprisingly yes... WOWW

And according to the person, it tastes great..eerrmmm @.@ owwwkaaayyyy..

 

so just imagine Minzy put too much of both so it ends up sour and bitter.. :P hihihih

okthxbye.offtohavesomegreenteacake yummmzz

 

Lots of love <3 Greentee