Ninth Encounter

More Than Meets The Eye

SUMIN’S POV

I saw Eunmi look at DaeHyun like he was someone from another planet.

 

“Unnie are you ok?” I tapped her desk as I whispered.

 

“Y-yea I’m fine.” she stuttered, snapping out of her gaze.

 

“I know he’s hot, but you don’t have to stare at him until he melts.” I chuckled as I turned around.

 

“I heard that!” Daehyun smirked.

 

I ducked my head and my face flushed into a shade of bright pink.

 

The lunch bell soon rang and the 3 of us went to lunch together. Since I saw it was nice outside, I asked if they wanted to eat outside on the rooftop. Both of them nodded in agreement, and we were able to sneak onto the roof.

We ate in silence as the clock ticked. Soon the bell rang and we went back to class. As we were in class, my bracelet started glowing. My body started twitching uncontrollably. I felt my blood boil and my eyes felt like they were in fire. My shoulders tensed and I felt my muscles flex. I turned around to Eunmi and she stared at me with a panicked expression, but then calmed down quickly after a few seconds. Next thing I knew, my vision turned rabid, thirsty for blood. My vision started to glow red and my bracelet was beeping uncontrollably. I heard Eunmi cast a spell and everyone fell unconscious, and my vision also went pitch black.  

 

EUNMI’S POV

I can’t believe I would meet him this quickly. I thought he was dead?

Thousands of thoughts were flooding back into my mind from when I first read his name on the book and his description. Then I heard tapping on my desk and I snapped back into reality.

 

“Unnie are you ok?” Sumin gazed at me worried.

 

“Y-yea I’m fine.” she stuttered, snapping out of her gaze. Why did I have to stutter? Now she probably thinks something is up.

 

“I know he’s hot, but you don’t have to stare at him until he melts.” she chuckled. I mentally sighed. Thank god she didn’t think something was strange.

 

I saw the boy smirk,“I heard that!”

 

Sumin ducked her head down and I assumed that she had just blushed insanely. I chuckled as I faced the board again, putting the thought to the back of my mind. Soon it was lunchtime and she asked us to go eat up on the roof, for the weather was good today. I didn’t mind and I looked over to Daehyun, and he flashed an eye smile to Sumin. The whole lunch period, we ate in silence. It was a little too silent. Something’s up. I looked over to Sumin and she seemed perfectly fine. I checked my bracelet quickly and saw it flash ‘Warning!’, signaling the energy levels were starting to fluctuate. Looking back at Sumin and seeing she was perfectly fine again, I decided to ignore it. The bell rang and we headed back to class. Must’ve been my imagination, but something feels tense.

 

We were in class when I saw Sumin start twitching. Something really was up. She started shifting in her seat uncontrollably and everyone in class, including the teacher, were giving us strange stares. Sumin turned around and I saw her that her eyes started shimmering from brown to blood red, and they started glowing. Then something popped into my head, it was Father’s instructions he told me in case Sumin’s demon DNA went crazy.

 

Have her release her power. If she gains a lot of speed and momentum in a surprise movement, her energy will drain from trying to stop herself. If the force isn’t big enough, then she won’t be able to drain all her energy, as it replenishes quickly. You have to drain it all at once, immediately before her energy level rises, and she won't be able to control it.

 

I snapped back to reality and shouted a spell for everyone to fall unconscious. Taking a quick glance that everyone was down, I saw Daehyun still conscious, trying to figure comprehend what was happening. Of course, the spell only works on humans. Ignoring the confused boy and focusing back on Sumin, she fell on the floor limp, and then I saw her eyes begin to glow brighter, and emitted a blood red aura. I looked out the window and we were on the 5th floor. I hope 5 stories is enough to stop your energy. She got back up and stared at everyone who was asleep, and her lips. She’s not able to control it anymore. She made a dash for the first person she saw asleep, but I shouted her name to gain her attention. As she was turning around, I charged at her and rammed her into the wall behind her. There’s no turning back now. I pulled her by her collar, looking into her glowing crimson red eyes. I picked her up with all my strength and ran towards the open window, summoning by demon powers and threw her all the way up into the air, and she began tumbling down. I chanted another spell and transformed my Phoenix wings and jumped down after her. Sumin clawed at the air, growling, struggling to find something to stop her from falling. She fell in the middle of the courtyard with a hard thud. I landed next to her and chanted another spell quickly, setting her to sleep while healing her injuries. Picking her up, I soared back into the classroom and set Sumin down. Shouting my final spell, it was for everyone to forget what happened in the past couple minutes. Daehyun stared at me in horror, as if I had just committed the crime of the century.

 

“School rooftop tonight. Midnight. Don’t be late.” I whispered to him before soaring back of the window, holding Sumin as I navigated back to base. Stepping past Human Vision Boundaries (A/N: The boundaries that humans cannot see past. They see is as an empty desert rather than a Demon King’s Base.), I released the conscious spell, so school would resume. I looked into the sky and storm clouds started rolling in on the outskirts of base. Rain was soon drizzling and thunder and lighting could be seen and heard. Still carrying Sumin, I took her to our room and set her on her bed, pulling her blanket up. I went to the bathroom to get a wet towel and draped it over her forehead, trying to cool her down. I powered down my bracelet, taking it off while stripping my clothes. I stepped into my transformer and held my hand over the recognition device.

 

[EYES] LIGHT BROWN → GOLDEN YELLOW [COMPLETE]

[BODY] SLIM → SLENDER [COMPLETE]

[HAIR] GOLDEN BLONDE → LIGHT BROWN [COMPLETE]

[EARS] NORMAL → POINTED [COMPLETE]

[TAIL] NONE → PHOENIX FAN [COMPLETE]

[WINGS] NONE → PHOENIX WINGS [COMPLETE]

[STATURE] TALL → SHORT [COMPLETE]

[DNA] HUMAN → DEMON [COMPLETE]

 

TRANSFORMATION COMPLETE

 

I pulled on my clothes, which were the same as Sumin’s. A jet black, skin tight tube top and combat shorts that only covered my torso and ended right below my , but it was one piece instead of two and the back was cut out into a swirl pattern, revealing my . I glanced into the mirror to see my serious expression looking right back at me.

 

Everything has to be set straight. Tonight.

 

DAEHYUN’S POV

Class was going as usual, boring and full of lectures. I sighed as I look at the window and saw Sumin start twitching. I saw her tense up and her eyes started changing color. I looked to Eunmi with confusion and then I saw Sumin turn around to Eunmi, with a scared look in her eyes and they started shimmering red. I heard Eunmi chant a few lines and everyone went limp. Someone fell and I turned to the source of the sound, seeing Sumin now doubled over on the floor, glowing red, but her eyes were still open. Glancing at her eyes, they were also radiating a crimson red, and it sent shivers down my spine. I felt my blood start to boil as well and my vision was going fuzzy. The next thing I knew, Eunmi was ramming her into a wall and sending her flying out the window. To my surprise, Eunmi grew a pair of wings and dived down after Sumin. Something in the back of my mind told to me go after them. As the thought took over me and I was getting up, Eunmi came back up clutching onto Sumin like it was her life.

 

“School rooftop tonight. Midnight. Don’t be late.” she whispered to me before soaring back out the window, carrying Sumin. A split second later, everyone got back up like nothing happened and Sumin plus Eunmi were never there. My mind started hurting and flashing different images. They were pictures of an all out war, but everything was hazy, and I couldn’t make out what was going on. The flashing soon stopped, but I out, with one last thought. What’s going on?

 

-few hours later-

 

I woke up with a start and looked around the room. I was back in my room in headquarters. How did I get here? I glanced at the clock on my nightstand. 11:30 PM. It was almost time to meet Eunmi at the rooftop of school. I jumped into the bathroom and took a quick shower, to refresh my senses. Stepping out, I looked into the foggy mirror after wiping it with my hand. I saw my blank expression staring back at me, but something stood out. I looked into my own eyes, and they were glowing.