Letting Go

Because of You

Key drove Nicole to a nearby park, where it has the greatest view of the starry night.  Nicole loved star gazing and Key haven't found the time to take her, so tonight was the night to do so.

Nicole was sitting on the hood of the car, in awe with the view above her.  Key walked up with a cup of coffee for him and a cup of black tea for Nicole.

"Thank you." Nicole said, taking the cup of tea.

She quietly sipped at the hot tea, as Key pulled out a blanket and wrapped it around her.

"What about you?"  Nicole asked, who already has a blanket on her lap.

"I'm fine."  Key replied.

She shook her head and wrapped the blanket around his shoulder and hers.  Key watched her as she zipped up his jacket to his chest and wrapped his scarf a bit tighter around him.  He missed this side of Nicole the most; caring and looking after her when it's suppose to be his job.  Even though she acted like she doesn't care, he knew she still loved him.

"So, what did you want to talk about?"  Nicole asked, fidgeting with her scarf.

Key was still looking at her, trying to take as many pictures of this moment as much as possible.

Nicole looked up to him and caught his gentle eyes staring at hers; those eyes that show more than the mouth can say.  Key took her hands into his.  Even on this cool night, he felt the warmth in her hands.

Nicole gently pulled her hand away from him.  She crossed her arms.

"Key, don't do this."  Nicole said.  "Whatever you want to talk about, just say it."

Key sighed and stuffed his hands in his jacket pocket.

"I'm going to cancel the wedding."  Key said.

Nicole turned to him and Key looked at her.

"Key-"

"I'm gonna do it, Nicole."  Key repeated.  "For us."

Nicole shook her head in disbelief.  This was not happening.

"No...no.  You can't, Key."  Nicole said.

"Why not?"  Key asked, anxiously.  "It's my wedding.  I will do what I want."

He got up and took Nicole's hands.

"And I want to be with you.  Only you."

Nicole didn't know what to say.  All she wanted to do now was hug him and ask him to take her away with him.  His warm eyes made her feel so secure.  She didn't want to break their connection, but this can't happen.

"Stop, Key."  Nicole said.  "Stop it with the 'us'.  There is no 'us'."

Key's caring eyes turned confused.  He didn't understand why Nicole would say this.

"I mean, there may have been an 'us' before,"  Nicole explained, walking away, bit by bit.  "but not anymore.  And there will never be one."

Key followed her and stood behind her.

"Why not?"  Key asked.  "After I cancel this, everything will be-"

"No, Key!  Just stop it!"  Nicole turned around, holding back her tears.  "Why can't you accept the fact that your future has already been decided for you and you can't do anything about it!?"

Key pulled Nicole in and pressed their lips together.  He just needed her to feel that spark between them again; that it was still there.  He brought her closer to deepen the kiss.  The tears fell from Nicole's eyes as he deepened the kiss.  Their memories flashed through her mind: the first time they met, their first love-hate relationship, their first kiss, their first date...it was perfect.

Key closed his eyes and leaned his forehead on hers, hoping his kiss worked.

Nicole took in a shaky breath.  She pushed him away from her.  She wiped away her tears.

"The things we did and what we had...are in the past now."  Nicole said.  "Both of us need to accept what is happening now."

Key rolled his eyes and ran his hand through his hair in frustration.

"Can you stop your act now, Nicole!"  Key said, frustrated.

"I'm not acting!"  Nicole shouted back.  "This is me!"

Nicole took a deep breath and wiped away a few stray tears.

"But I'm not doing this because of your mom,"  Nicole informed him.  "I'm doing it for me.  So I can forget you..."

Key's expression softened after hearing Nicole's explanation.  He stepped back and sat on the hood of the car.  He stared at the ground and said nothing, letting his eyes fill up with those tears he's been holding back.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The ride back to Nicole's was quiet.  No music.  No talking.  Just quiet.

Nicole would secretly look at Key.  His face was stern, just focused on the road.  It made her heart ache, knowing that the words she said was hurtful.  She didn't mean to say it.  It just came out.

As she turned away and looked out the window, Key glanced at his side mirrors.  Nicole's peaceful, still reflection also made his heart ache.  He didn't know if he was suppose to believe her words, or follow his heart and keep fighting for their love.  Tonight was his last night to fight for their love, but it was pretty much a fail.  He didn't know what else to do anymore.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

They pulled up to Nicole's place.  Nicole thanked him for taking her home and unbuckled herself.  Before she opened the door, Key grabbed her hand.  It broke her heart as she glanced at the gentle hands ontop of hers.

"Tomorrow's your big day.  Go home and get some rest."  Nicole said.

She pulled her hand out and got out of the car.  Key got out as well and followed her.

"I know what you said about us being in the past is not true."  Key said.  "I know you still love me like before."

Nicole stopped walking.

"Key-"

"But if what you said, about there will never be an "us", then I'll let you go."  Key said.

Nicole turned around and met his eyes.

"What?"

Key stuffed his hands in his pants pocket.

"Well, I wouldn't want to hold onto a love that doesn't exist anymore."  Key said, almost in a mumble.  "Why love someone who doesn't love you back, right?"

Her heart started to shatter from his words.  Her eyes started to tear up.  She has gotten the taste of her own medicine and what Key's pain felt like.

Nicole quietly cleared .

"Right."  she answered, trying not to crack her voice.

Key gently nodded in agreement.

"Well, then...good night, Miss Jung."  Key said.  "See you tomorrow."

Key got into his car and drove off, leaving behind a cloud of dirt.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Nicole closed the front door and made her way into the kitchen.  She poured herself a cup of warm tea and sat at the counter.  As she sat there, she stared at the motionless tea.

 

But if what you said, about there will never be an "us", then I'll let you go.

 

A few tears trailed down her chin and fell into the cup.

 

Well, I wouldn't want to hold onto a love that doesn't exist anymore.  Why love someone who doesn't love you back, right?

 

She covered , trying to muffle out her sobs.  Her whole body started to shake, as she sat there, thinking back to his words.  She didn't know how much Key was hurt until tonight, when Key said those words to her.  Just like how she did to him.  She laid her head on the table and cried.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Key pulled into his driveway and had one of his drivers park the car.  As he walked in, he apologized for keeping the housemaids up so late and dismissed them to bed.

He got into his room and took off his jacket.  He sat on the ground in front of his bed.  He ran his hand through his hair and took in a deep breath.  In front of him was his TV stand, and on it was a picture of him and Nicole at the fashion show.  He took the photo and held it in his hands, just staring at it until it became a blur, as tears blocked his view.

A tear fell on top of Nicole's face, then another.  Key wiped it away from the photo and his face.  He tilted his head back and took in deep breathes.  As he looked back at her smiling face, the tears came back and fell faster.

This time, he let them flow endlessly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A  U  T  H  O  R  '  S     N  O  T  E  :  :

CHAPTER 18 is up!!! Yay! I got another chapter up! So proud of myself ahhaha just kidding, but since a lot of you guys commented on their kiss, I decided to add another kiss scene.  Hoped you guys liked it :) Please leave a comment and subscribe if you havent! Thanks for supporting!

much luvv